Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 30, 2018 11:25 AM

Jan 2018
ok so thanks to devilman: crybaby coming out, i'm seeing devilman everywhere. but no one's posting any of the graphic/sex/gory/horror stuff. it's all focusing on akira & the other guy. i couldn't get past the club scene in the first ep

there's not enough reviews of all the iterations of devilman for me to tell if anything is "tamer" in comparison. idek where to start looking to find out what timestamps to skip

yes, i understand that it's supposed to be a graphic horror story but that's not everyone's cup of tea. i'm sure i can follow the story without having to look at that stuff
Jan 30, 2018 11:27 AM

Jan 2009
the gore is not even that extreme because of the abstract art and animation, and as far as i remember only episode 1 has much more detailed gore to be honest
Jan 30, 2018 11:35 AM

Jan 2018
ok cool, but it still stands that i don't wanna see it. please help me with that
Jan 30, 2018 12:00 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I know you have your preference not to like that stuff but it'l littered through out the whole series and the entire franchise. The sex and violence are the biggest visual themes of the series. You'll end up just seeing fragments and partials and not really understanding what's going on. You should probably just skip it.
Feb 3, 2018 11:46 AM

Aug 2016
If you'd like to skip all the gore, violence and sex, you wouldn't understand what the hell is going on. Just watch as it is or don't do it at all.
Feb 14, 2018 8:19 AM

Jun 2011
There is no way to enjoy the core themes of this work without accepting the dark side of it. It's a necessary literary element, and then as well as trashy fan service.

Skip this series. Doesn't sound like it's right for you.
Feb 14, 2018 8:46 AM

Jun 2011
Skip this series. It isn't good for you. I don't know why you would be interested. Sometimes the big title of the year just isn't for you. It has happened to me several times. You could, if you really wish, watch series which were inspired by it, but even those have central themes of sex and violence (Berserk, Evangelion) . If a limb doesn't get chopped off, or a person doesn't have sex in the series, it prob isn't devilman enough to call itself inspired.=

Maybe watch Cutey Honey if sexy stuff doesn't bug you. It is even harder to take seriously... and if you really want to get down, do something inspired by Cutey Honey- like Sailor Moon. Then they sexy stuff should be pretty tame.

You absolutely cannot follow Devilman without the violence and sex. It is what it was made to do. Shock people.I guess when you invent the ecchi genre.... people will always be shocked. Somehow it shocks people every decade. I don't get it. XD Devilman does appear in the Cutey Honey franchise though.
Energetic-NovaFeb 14, 2018 8:54 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Feb 14, 2018 10:12 AM

Dec 2009
I suggest just skipping this series since its not for you
Feb 14, 2018 10:14 AM
Mar 2011
its a nagai Show can not make more simply
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 26, 2019 12:20 AM
Jun 2015
Devilman was made in direct response to the horrors of the Vietnam war and was made in such a way as to present the true depth of evil that humanity is capable of. To take away this aspect of it would be to take away the entire meaning of it's core message. Go Nagai made this because he didn't want people to hide from the truth. Censorship of violence in media and on the news was a large subject of debate on a global scale at the time of the writing of Devilman and Nagai's camp feared the detachment that this censorship would foster. It is this kind of detachment that allowed atrocities like Vietnam as well as those found in Nagai's story to occur. Evolution on a societal level cannot occur if we do not recognize the issues, looking away from the gore doesn't change a thing. Feeling the disgust of these scenes is what Nagai wants to share with you and is also why Devilman is still remembered and celebrated over 40 years later as a timeless piece of social commentary that is still relevant in modern society.

Also I find the manga to be the superior of all Devilman formats and also opposed to how many others feel I find the OG manga to be more brutal than Crybaby. Crybaby was more of an action story with elements of social commentary while the OG Devilman manga is more of a social commentary piece with elements of action. Also Ryo's character sucked in Crybaby, much better in 1972.
Dec 15, 2020 4:05 AM

Nov 2013
Without violence, there is no Devilman. If you for some reason don't want to watch/read fictional violence, you're going to have to pass on this.
You all need to watch Nami.

Dec 15, 2020 5:08 AM
Jul 2018
Devilman is a fucked up manga/anime.I dont think that there's a very safe for work version
Sep 14, 2022 9:07 PM
Jun 2021
don't watch it then
stop trying to act like Jesus
Sep 14, 2022 10:58 PM

Jan 2020
TheSongWriter said:
don't watch it then

Why tf you replying to a 4 yo forum post when OP hasn't been active on MAL since 2018 lmfao.
*generic image of favorite characters with a sappy quote or "aesthetics"*

Mecha Anime/Manga/VN Tier List

Anime/Manga/VN Tier List
Sep 19, 2022 3:26 AM
Jun 2021
Pyro81300 said:
TheSongWriter said:
don't watch it then

Why tf you replying to a 4 yo forum post when OP hasn't been active on MAL since 2018 lmfao.

you just replied now....
really?
Sep 19, 2022 8:39 AM

Jan 2020
TheSongWriter said:
Pyro81300 said:

you just replied now....
really?

Yeah dickhead, what's it to ya. What are you gonna say something dumb like "but you replied too". Yeah ik, how tf else am I supposed to communicate with you.
*generic image of favorite characters with a sappy quote or "aesthetics"*

Mecha Anime/Manga/VN Tier List

Anime/Manga/VN Tier List
Mar 2, 2023 4:32 AM
Mar 2021
I know this is like 5 years old lol, but the gore and horrer and violence of devil man is a major theme of the story. How humans are weak creatures who are evil in nature. Skipping the violent parts, or ignoring them, would be like skipping the whole story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Devilman Chapter 20 Discussion

gknight - Jun 26, 2013

16 by Biisoo »»
May 18, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Devilman Chapter 1 Discussion

accela - May 7, 2008

6 by Biisoo »»
May 17, 1:33 PM

» anime or manga

h6n65b65hb65 - Aug 31, 2021

4 by miblan »»
Jan 29, 2023 1:21 PM

» The 53 chapter situation

ShadowMonkey - Jan 31, 2018

6 by z0idberger »»
May 29, 2022 12:34 PM

» Question about the manga

JacobDeezN - Mar 6, 2022

1 by Noldorin_Feanor »»
Mar 7, 2022 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.