Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 23, 2023 7:12 AM

Feb 2021
Second cour announced! I heard it was meant to be a two-cour from the start so not that surprising. Looking forward to it! (but no hiatuses pls I can wait as long as needed, just don't rush things)

I can actually feel bad for Adam here
What the- 9S nooo
I knew it was him in the machine lifeform heads! Wholesome
Credits at 11 minutes? Interesting lol
The documents... So humanity is actually extinct? Damn this is tragic, both machine lifeforms and YoRHa are fight for no reason. And is that virus the antagonist now?
The hiatus took a lot enjoyment out of this, but I'm still rating this 9/10. Exciting story, amazing music, good animation. I'm sure the second cour will be even better though.
Looking forward to deciphered eyecatches

Question for those who played the game: aside from the hiatus, was this a good adaptation?
Jul 23, 2023 7:20 AM

Apr 2020
Embient said:

Question for those who played the game: aside from the hiatus, was this a good adaptation?
It's all right. Not the worst game adaptation out there but the game is much better and everyone that liked this anime should give it a go.
It's still a good 7/10 while the game is a 9/10 for me.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jul 23, 2023 7:29 AM

Feb 2020
Satisfying end to the first cour. I can't wait to see the next one.

Overall, a good show. One of the most impressive action scenes I have seen for a while.
Jul 23, 2023 7:36 AM

Sep 2018
Entire first cour seemed like a prologue, still good :)
Jul 23, 2023 7:48 AM

Oct 2017
Embient said:
Second cour announced! I heard it was meant to be a two-cour from the start so not that surprising. Looking forward to it! (but no hiatuses pls I can wait as long as needed, just don't rush things)

What the- 9S nooo
The documents... So humanity is actually extinct? Damn this is tragic, both machine lifeforms and YoRHa are fight for no reason. And is that virus the antagonist now?
The hiatus took a lot enjoyment out of this, but I'm still rating this 9/10. Exciting story, amazing music, good animation. I'm sure the second cour will be even better though.

Nier game is a one of a kind unique experience. I don't think it's possible to replicate that experience in anime medium but they adapted the story pretty well and I enjoyed watching the anime quite a lot. The delays sucked but aside that, had a good time watching this show and looking forward to cour 2.
Jul 23, 2023 8:12 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm the normally rule bound commander acting without orders unheard off. They managed to replicate the feels and sadness from that scene with 9s pretty well. Overall despite the delays they did an excellent job of depricting the first half of the narrative whiel also making great usage of orginal characters like Lily and expanding upon A2 as well. Its the events of the second cour which showcases the events after though that would be crucial given how much material it needs to cover. Looking forward to seeing p2 though considering whats gonna happen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2023 8:20 AM
Nov 2020
Embient said:

What the- 9S nooo

its rly hard or nearly Impossible to get the writting from yoko taro in an anime but overall it was an ok Adaption they changed stuff and it had alot of original stuff i would still recommend to play the game its just an masterpiece
Jul 23, 2023 9:25 AM
Apr 2022
Wait what? I swear this was airing in winter or fall what has took it so long
Jul 23, 2023 9:42 AM

Jan 2021
It was a decent adaptation of what I consider to be the weaker half of Automata's plot. Not to say the first half is bad by any means, but nearly the entirety of it serves as setup for the amazing payoff in the 2nd half. As a result, it has fewer moments that really stick with me emotionally. On top of that, it had a lot of changes from the original plot, like Lily being the sole survivor of the Pearl Harbor operation instead of Anemone. It also cut out quite a bit, like the Adam/Eve duo fight and Grun fight.

As for the animation, the CG was mediocre at best and ugly at worst, although it definitely looked a lot better in the last few episodes. The 2D animation was actually pretty good for the most part, but most major 2D fights were very short (aka Adam 1 and A2 fights), so it felt like we missed out on a lot.  The pacing was about as good as it could be within a 12 episode limit, but it really makes me wish anime companies weren't so afraid to have shows with weird episode counts to make the story feel more complete. That doesn't even take into account the awful production cycle this show had.

Overall a 7/10 show.
Jul 23, 2023 9:55 AM

Dec 2013
It is finally over and it got unceremoniously dropped all at once, hopefully they get their shit together for part 2.
Jul 23, 2023 10:03 AM
Oct 2020
So glad this show got the full conclusion. They gave us fans all episodes at once which is hype. Route B when lol
Jul 23, 2023 10:29 AM

Dec 2008
I really enjoyed this but once the delays kicked in it lost me. There was a lot of good about the show, but if there is a second series I am gonna wait till all episodes have flighted before I watch it. 
May the Uguu be with you.

Jul 23, 2023 10:29 AM
Sep 2021
Adam defeat came at cost of 9s but 9s survived it and there is also something else that is starting to begin a lot of mystery is yet to be explained. Hope the next season is handled properly and there will be no more delays.
Jul 23, 2023 10:35 AM

Oct 2016
I dig the changes made in episodes 9 and 10, I felt like this way those plot points connected better. The changes made on episode 11 however, left the exact opposite impression on me, I found it to be the worst episode of the season. I really liked the inclusion of End of the World in episode 12 and the changes made in it as well.

As a whole, I really loved the show and I'm glad that it introduced me to a lot of things from the franchise.
Jul 23, 2023 12:23 PM

Oct 2018
Well, finally the end of this cour, I'm not exactly sure what to say. I liked some additions, but I didn't like the change to Eve and Adam at all. Eve should have remained the "final boss," and Adam should have died in the fight against 2B, as that would have made sense for the character, with his philosophical and psychological struggles.
I'll eagerly await the second cour, hoping the staff has enough time to work on it and that this kind of weirdness won't happen again. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch the end of this part of the story without crying. "Sound of the End" and "Weight of the World" will always move me emotionally.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jul 23, 2023 12:58 PM
Sep 2013
Route 1.1a has been fucking amazing, cannot wait for 1.1b
256kJul 23, 2023 1:02 PM
I'm not english, i'm spanish, so sorry for my mistakes when i write D:

I figured out the ending of Shingeki no Kyojin back in 2014 :)
Jul 23, 2023 1:25 PM

Aug 2019
Production quality for this batch of the last 4 eps seemed better than the others

They saved Weigh of the World for the end

Felt like the delays took away from the experience of this 1st cour, will be waiting for the 2nd cour to be completed before watching

Jul 23, 2023 1:38 PM
Sep 2022
I didn't understand the end, I didn't play the game so it was confusing for me.
Jul 23, 2023 1:45 PM
May 2021
Amazing end to the part!
Jul 23, 2023 2:18 PM

Nov 2017
Finally finished the first part!
Jul 23, 2023 2:29 PM

Jan 2009
hype for the sequel of this

so looks like the real villains are the boss of the androids and their big secret is that humanity is extinct already

so its all robots and AI running the show and playing god
Jul 23, 2023 3:02 PM
Aug 2020
it was another great episode

i'm excited for the part2 but i hope it will be without hiatus this time...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jul 23, 2023 3:04 PM

Jul 2007
Embient said:

What the- 9S nooo

As others have said it's alright as an adaptation. A lot of original stuff, addition of extended media, and changes to the story (necessary in some regards but the swap at the end with (will not reveal but involves two characters) was a little jarring and interesting to say the least, changed up a lot of how that unfolded in the game (not terrible mind you just weird)). I don't think the delay did this any favors but honestly is was still a pretty good attempt to adapt Taro's work but until we get the second cour I'll withhold my full opinion on whether this was a good adaptation or not (interested to see how they're going to do 4 endings in one cour or if they'll break it up again (or go full original)).

Honestly I highly suggest playing the game if you enjoyed this as it's an experience and by far one of the best games I've, personally, ever played.
Jul 23, 2023 4:01 PM
Apr 2023
well, as someone who played the game all the way back in 2022 (switch port) I can say that, after the hype passed, I'm kinda disappointed.
Yoko Taro was doing the story for this so I thought it would be as good as the game right? WRONG!
It's not bad, just rushed and with a lot of pieces missing, plot being thrown out on your face earlier than the intended and lots of moments being toned down if compared to games.

With that said, I'm hopeful that we'll have a different ending from the game, because the events are somewhat different from the actual game (besides route A/B endings being the same). Overall, ok adaptation with lots of missed opportunities.
Jul 23, 2023 4:12 PM
Dec 2021
great anime, good that another cour announced.
Jul 23, 2023 4:29 PM

Jul 2017
Despite the story flaws and times and production flaws and delays present, this was surprisingly a solid watch for me and one of my favorite game adaptations for anime, which is a rarity for me to enjoy - only Persona 3 and 4 are other ones that come to mind (no visual novels counted). Hearing Weight of the World again was amazing, love the Japanese version too and the emotions there but when I played the game and heard this song in English, tugged on my heart strings back then and still does now too. It's amazing in this finale at the middle.

Could some story elements be handled better? Definitely. Could the CG be better? Absolutely it could have. Is it close to being as phenomenal as the actual game? Definitely not.

But it was still the only show that I enjoyed to any sort of degree from the Winter season, when I was hating or being disappointed by everything else imaginable then, including Vinland Saga Season 2. So my curiosity is there for how the 2nd cour is done, and hopefully, it can be more consistent and have less production issues that this one suffered through. It might be mediocre as an adaptation in some ways, but I still did enjoy myself for the most part. The art direction in this series helped a lot too, that was great.
Jul 23, 2023 5:10 PM

Apr 2022
9S is still around and 2B does show emotions, and her eyes again. decent stuff but i really lost interest in this show, hope the next cour doesn't suffer like this one. 2Booty action carried for me ngl.
Jul 23, 2023 7:06 PM
Jan 2017
still didn't finish the game and im still in the beginning, i'm so lazy to play lmao, but after i saw the animation and the drawing in the anime i think i will just play more the game and finish it, i still don't understand the story very well, but i liked the anime, the animation is very attractive like 2B eyes are something else, i'm so excited for the second cour, most likely i will play the game to understand the story cuz the second cour gonna take time i believe
Jul 23, 2023 7:16 PM
Jan 2017
UnhallowedDeceit said:
Embient said:

What the- 9S nooo

As others have said it's alright as an adaptation. A lot of original stuff, addition of extended media, and changes to the story (necessary in some regards but the swap at the end with (will not reveal but involves two characters) was a little jarring and interesting to say the least, changed up a lot of how that unfolded in the game (not terrible mind you just weird)). I don't think the delay did this any favors but honestly is was still a pretty good attempt to adapt Taro's work but until we get the second cour I'll withhold my full opinion on whether this was a good adaptation or not (interested to see how they're going to do 4 endings in one cour or if they'll break it up again (or go full original)).

Honestly I highly suggest playing the game if you enjoyed this as it's an experience and by far one of the best games I've, personally, ever played.
I'm still in the beginning, i think when i find the resistance's headquarters, anyway i liked the animation of the anime it's really good, but the game graphics are kinda bad compared to the anime, i tried to download far mod but it was complicated, can you help if you know something ?
Jul 23, 2023 7:35 PM

Jul 2010
I can't believe they dropped the ball THIS hard. It's nothing like the game and feels more like a parody than adaptation. Changes for the sake of changes, cutting out a lot of action, especially at the end, skipping major scenes... 

I am not some Nier freak, I completed it few months ago, and while first episodes were okay/bearable despite some flaws and nitpicks, the last ones are a complete joke. Emotions just isn't there, there's no thought behind directing coarse. I am glad I've played it BEFORE watching, otherwise I would have completely ruined the story for myself.

You know, it's like watching 12 episode anime of 100 hour long VN. Sure, some major story bits are still there, but it's a completely different experience.
Jul 23, 2023 9:15 PM
Mar 2016
Episode 6 discussion: HOLD IT HOLD IT HOLD IT! WTF!? I thought all resistants are android. how the F Lily is a child back then and now she grown up. Is android can even grow up like human does now. -5 points I will rate it 5/10. if nobody reply to this comment and persuade me to change my rating score. then I'll take it as if I was right to "Everything is wrong with Nier:Automata animation"
Jul 23, 2023 9:42 PM

Feb 2019
All the Nier Automata delays were worth it. A-1 came through with an amazing final four episodes that largely stayed true to the game while blending in some anime original stuff to help the story flow better.

The changes in episode 9 and 10 were great, 11 I wasn’t crazy about, but 12 was an excellent finale with some beautiful moments just like the end of the first half of the game.

A lot of us thought Automata would never work as an anime, but this was pretty good as an adaptation. Yea they changed a few things around, but the game is so confusing and changing mediums is naturally going to lead to some changes.

Hopefully the second cour isn’t rushed and they take their time before giving a date
Marinate1016Jul 23, 2023 9:47 PM
Jul 23, 2023 10:15 PM
Jul 2022
the most awful episode. really we waited for this?
Jul 24, 2023 12:00 AM

Sep 2018
A shame about the delays, but it was still really enjoyable. Kind of like Golden Kamuy S4, it halts excitement and general interest when it's gone for so long, but when you get right back into it, it's like you never left.
Jul 24, 2023 3:16 AM

Feb 2015
Embient said:

What the- 9S nooo

They're not a "virus", they're the ones running YoHRa as you can see by their voices changing and sounding the same to the "people" the commander talks to(Council of Humanity/Humans on the moon).

Jul 24, 2023 7:03 AM

Apr 2021
As someone who hasn't played the game (and who don't do games anyway), I can just say that this show is completely unbalanced. There are good moments, interesting characters and I like this kind of post-apocalyptic context. But the story makes little sense, the direction is completely messy and the show doesn't properly walk the knife's edge between philosophical and action-packed. The machines look also a bit ridiculous with their round head and the godzilla at the end is just so cliché it's not even funny.  Yet, despite these numerous flaws and being so badly written, I find it strangely enticing, to the point that I'll probably have a look at the second cour.
Jul 24, 2023 7:54 AM
Nov 2020
Looks like ending A, i guess they're gonna adapt the whole game story so that means 4 more parts will be coming to reach ending E. Anyways the whole series feels like nostalgia now i want to play the game again.

i am waiting if they will be planning to animate Ending D, it's gonna be epic.
Jul 24, 2023 8:59 AM
Apr 2023
TheMangaManiac said:
I can't believe they dropped the ball THIS hard. It's nothing like the game and feels more like a parody than adaptation. Changes for the sake of changes, cutting out a lot of action, especially at the end, skipping major scenes... 

I am not some Nier freak, I completed it few months ago, and while first episodes were okay/bearable despite some flaws and nitpicks, the last ones are a complete joke. Emotions just isn't there, there's no thought behind directing coarse. I am glad I've played it BEFORE watching, otherwise I would have completely ruined the story for myself.

You know, it's like watching 12 episode anime of 100 hour long VN. Sure, some major story bits are still there, but it's a completely different experience.

well, the director of the anime is the same as the game, so it's not a parody, but I DO feel you
Jul 24, 2023 9:05 AM
Apr 2023
Marinate1016 said:
All the Nier Automata delays were worth it. A-1 came through with an amazing final four episodes that largely stayed true to the game while blending in some anime original stuff to help the story flow better.

The changes in episode 9 and 10 were great, 11 I wasn’t crazy about, but 12 was an excellent finale with some beautiful moments just like the end of the first half of the game.

A lot of us thought Automata would never work as an anime, but this was pretty good as an adaptation. Yea they changed a few things around, but the game is so confusing and changing mediums is naturally going to lead to some changes.

Hopefully the second cour isn’t rushed and they take their time before giving a date

you know, the changes on the 4 episodes were what killed me.

ep 9 and 10... how can I start... THE ALIENS WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO SHOW THERE!!! They were designed to be shown a lot earlier to create tension and doubt! It killed the atmosphere and thought provoking part of Adam and Eve... Also, the fight was SO off, the clones were not supposed to be there, they're a thing for some event later that raises the emotions. Also, that scenery, it's not really from copied city, it feels like a "the tower" scenery but ok.

Ep 11 and 12... the hole was pretty anticlimactic, the beam ray was not supposed to be there, they underestimated 2b and 9s' strength, they skipped SO MUCH plot development before the Adam (it was supposed to be Eve) fight, they skipped emotional development... Just everything. I couldn't be more disappointed.
Jul 24, 2023 9:08 AM
Apr 2023
SteelingMax said:
Embient said:

What the- 9S nooo

They're not a "virus", they're the ones running YoHRa as you can see by their voices changing and sounding the same to the "people" the commander talks to(Council of Humanity/Humans on the moon).

do not spoil it!!! it's a big revelation that was NOT supposed to be there on ending A. everything is so rushed right now lol
Jul 24, 2023 10:11 AM
Jul 2023
Cool, can't wait for more
Jul 24, 2023 12:24 PM

Jun 2017
I don't get it, how is humanity being extinct a twist when they literally aren't extinct. The resistance has flesh and blood humans in it. lol

But I haven't played the game so maybe I am missing something.
Jul 24, 2023 2:41 PM

Feb 2015
MomoSinX said:
I don't get it, how is humanity being extinct a twist when they literally aren't extinct. The resistance has flesh and blood humans in it. lol

But I haven't played the game so maybe I am missing something.
The resistence is made up of older gen androids.
Have you really watched 12 episodes of the anime and didn't notice them getting corrupted(ep6) or any time they showed them getting injured(exposed robot parts in a couple of episodes)

Jul 24, 2023 2:44 PM

Feb 2015
praquenomereal said:
SteelingMax said:

do not spoil it!!! it's a big revelation that was NOT supposed to be there on ending A. everything is so rushed right now lol
1.1a anime merged ending/route A and B, it's clearly not a spoiler bc the black haired twins sometimes speak with the same voice as the Council/Humans on the Moon and they explicitly say that humans are extinct, so the Council can't be humans, so it must be other Androids.

Jul 24, 2023 2:46 PM

Dec 2018
i seriously cry every time i hear that song. totally diverged from the original story but it was absolutely beautiful.
Jul 24, 2023 2:48 PM

Dec 2018
SteelingMax said:
praquenomereal said:

1.1a anime merged ending/route A and B, it's clearly not a spoiler bc the black haired twins sometimes speak with the same voice as the Council/Humans on the Moon and they explicitly say that humans are extinct, so the Council can't be humans, so it must be other Androids.
i was under the impression from the game that it was just automated AI giving randomish orders to keep the androids occupied and give them something to do. that there wasn't actually a moon base, and that it was all just a setup to give androids purpose.
Jul 24, 2023 4:05 PM

Jul 2020
the last couple of episodes were amazing, really.

tbh, at times I felt like I was missing something, probably because I never played the game. the huge delay before the last 4 episodes didn't help the show either..
I'd rate this 7/10 but I just can't overlook the incredible, epic soundtrack, so I'll give it 8/10 just for the OST
Jul 24, 2023 4:47 PM

Jul 2010
praquenomereal said:
TheMangaManiac said:

well, the director of the anime is the same as the game, so it's not a parody, but I DO feel you
I do know Yoko Taro is directing/supervising anime but a lot of his changes make no sense even from plot point...
Jul 24, 2023 4:56 PM

Oct 2021
Despite the hiatus hell, this was definitely a better adaptation than I expected, especially with how most video game-based anime turn out (P5, TWEWY, etc.).

I didn't mind most of the story changes much either, although some choices were definitely strange. I'm looking forward to the second cour adapting Route C/D (the better half IMO), there's a lot of potential for expanded lore with the additional media.
Jul 24, 2023 8:06 PM
Dec 2019
Can't wait for part 2! This ended similarly to route A and B. Part 2 is going to be awesome.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

19 by RegexShinobi »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2023

467 by GustavoMizobu »»
Feb 20, 3:09 AM

» Should I play Nier replicant too before starting series?

Otaku_guru - Feb 11

7 by Otaku_guru »»
Feb 14, 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.