Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 19, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
Thorfinn deserved his moments of happiness imo. It's about time he finally experiences it after all these episodes of drama and despair. It was an emotional family moment that captures a rare yet happy moment this season.

This episode seems to serve as a sendoff finale with Thorfinn, Thors, etc. Imo, it's a safe and also satisfying way to give some peace to the characters after all the shit they've been through. Season 2 turned out to be such an incredible journey imo with all the ups and downs. 

Jun 2019
Possibly one of the most remarkable adaptations I've ever seen in my life. What an incredible season and arc it has been. Throfinn's character development will be remembered forever.

Thorfinn finally is back to his home after so many years and what else can I say? It was as expected a beautiful but emotional moment for them. Seeing the face of your mother and sister after so long must've been such a great feeling for him. I felt so happy for them finally reuniting with each other. Ylva has grown into a beautiful woman and still is a badass. Love her so much. It was so funny seeing her handle Throfinn like a kid. LMAO. She's so strong. Helga has gotten old but didn't need anyone telling him about her son. What a lovely moment it was. Love her as well.

After a long journey, we will finally be making our moves towards Vinland. A peaceful land. That cinematic scene with Thors at the grave and the ending sequence was so beautiful. Throfinn after a haircut and no facial hair looks very soft. LOL. I'm not a guy who casually gives every show a 10 but this show tied me to a chair and forced me to give it a 10/10. LOL. But, I was very glad that I was able to experience this journey with so many people. I will cherish this show forever.

Thank you to everyone who was involved in this show, from Yabuta Shuhei and his team at MAPPA to Mr. Yukimura. It was once in a lifetime experience for me personally.

May 2020
Sure boys want to make a whole new country in Vinland, and sure they have great chances of succeeding too with such convictions.. but hey this all is easier said than done without proper support and finances.

Though we'll worry about that later, as there's that much awaited Thorfinn's homecoming to look forward to this time around. Needless to say the crew arrived well and fine in Iceland, but what transpired from there on wasn't well and nice to Thorfinn lol, I mean people were straight up outright in accepting they don't know about who or what even Thorfinn is lol. Blame the exile of these many years.

You could expect your sister to help you out then but hey Thorfinn's sister, Ylva, flatly thrown the mere idea of her brother being still alive straight out of the fucking window lmao. That was genuinely fun but okay not too long after he met his mother, Helga, and we completed the best family reunion ever.

Thorfinn's mother still recognizing him after all these years was such a beautifully depicted message. After all this man too FINALLY has people around him and a place he belongs to. Soooo happy for him after everything he went through all these years. He has confessed to his family and he's ready to move on.

It feels surreal to see what once started as two men simply grinding in fields ending up the way it has here. The perfect closure. Greatful to anime original scenes in the end adding that extra layer of depth.

Anime of the year.. and no one is even close.

Jul 2017
The return to Iceland for both Thorfinn, Einar and Leif, the harsh landscape, which is hard to cultivate land, it pales in comparison to going back home as the "prodigal son" and facing his family again after a long time out from home. As expected, not everyone can recognize Thorfinn, and the same goes for his own older sister Ylva, which he is thrilled, but she gave him a smack to the face with her feet. To Ylva, she thinks that Thorfinn is fake and replaced with someone else, but there is one that will not mistake him: his own mother Helga, who's delighted and overjoyed to see him in his father Thor's reflection. Even Ari is surprised to see him back, and Einar finds it awkward to stay longer in the house of Thors, but Helga makes a room for him. Even at home, Ylva is not convinced until Helga made it official, and even then, she's not happy that he's gone for an absurdly long time.

Thorfinn's story sharing session over the last 16 years away from home, from his father's death to his slavery on Ketil's farm, it's been a harrowing 2 seasons of story-building, and now, Thorfinn wants life for the better to create a peaceful land in Vinland, and his mother allows him to do so. The large-scale endeavor requires a lot of money, but Leif is always happy to help. And on the reflections with Einar, it's subtle, but his father Thors gave the answer that he knew from the bottom of his heart.

Farmland Saga, another masterpiece of a season yet again, that MAPPA has done justice from Wit Studio.
KANLen09Jun 19, 2023 10:28 AM
Jun 19, 2023 9:01 AM

May 2020
that was the perfect way to end this season
Thorfinn going back home and meeting his family was pretty emotional
love thorfinns new look as well 
hopefully, we get a season 3 
Homura24Jun 19, 2023 11:06 AM

Jun 19, 2023 9:37 AM

Apr 2020
Everyone that said this season would be worse than the first one lied to me.
It's still a masterpiece 10/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jun 19, 2023 9:39 AM
Mar 2021
10/10
Master piece ❤️
Jun 19, 2023 9:52 AM
Dec 2021
Probably the most disappointing anime I have ever watched.
Won't watch season 3.
I'm done with this shit.
Jun 19, 2023 9:57 AM
May 2021
Amazing season, from the start to the end 10/10 throughout 🐐🔥
Peak writing, peak author, peak series.
Jun 19, 2023 9:58 AM

Oct 2017
Fantastic season!

10/10!
Jun 19, 2023 10:00 AM

Jun 2013
sinnerNoWinner said:
Won't watch season 3.
I'm done with this shit.

Why bother watching something you don't like for 48 episodes?
Jun 19, 2023 10:02 AM

Jul 2015
I've been waiting for this exact moment since literally 2019. Absolutely beautiful.
I think we can consider this two season as prologue, because real story starts now. Assuming, that we'll get 3rd season.

Jun 19, 2023 10:02 AM
Jan 2021
sinnerNoWinner said:
Won't watch season 3.
I'm done with this shit.

s3 will be the best season in Vinland saga
Jun 19, 2023 10:06 AM
Feb 2021
Só vem terceira temporada, lá pra 2027 deve vir kkkkkk
10/10 😎
Jun 19, 2023 10:07 AM
Feb 2020
i feel so happy right now, hope we will get s3 as soon as possible
Jun 19, 2023 10:08 AM

Jan 2009
if this show does not get another season its fine to end it here since its a decent open ending

Jun 19, 2023 10:08 AM

May 2021
Thorfinn finally back home in Iceland reunited with his family which was very emotional. Its funny how Ylva was convinced that her brother was dead but his mother recognised his face even after he changed so much all these years. It represents the maternal bond between them and shows how she always believed he was alive. This was the perfect way to end the season. It sets the tone for the next season.

I hope we someday get to see Thorfinn and Einar create Vinland. A land free of the vicious circle of war and slaves.
Jun 19, 2023 10:09 AM

Jan 2019
Yeah, I'm gonna be needing a season 3 ASAP.
Jun 19, 2023 10:10 AM
Nov 2021
Waiting for new season ❤️❤️❤️

Aug 2020
What an amazing journey this series has been. Absolutely loved this season and I am looking forward to the next.

Feb 2013
Huge shout out to Leif for spending 6 years looking for Thorfinn and bringing him back home. He deserves some serious recognition for that. 
It's pretty amazing how well Vinland Saga managed to wrap up both seasons. It almost feels like there doesn't need to be a season 3 but I felt the same way after the first season and this blew me away. 
I'm so happy Thorfinn got to see his family again. His mother is so sweet. She fully supports his vision and even Calls Einar family. That fresh new haircut that Thorfinn got was a perfect ending haha. Can't wait for more.
Jun 19, 2023 10:11 AM
May 2021
The reunion made me cry fr. Really good season 9/10 👌🏻👌🏻
Jun 19, 2023 10:11 AM

Apr 2013
What a wonderful adaptation this was. The soundtrack and voice acting were simply stunning throughout and it was so well directed. The finale from season 1 is still the best Vinland Saga episode in my eyes, but season 2 had more memorable moments and episodes overall solidifying Farmland as a step up in quality from the prologue.

Even if I'm not the biggest fan of the next arc, I hope we get to see a season 3 in the future from the same team.
Jun 19, 2023 10:14 AM
May 2023
Great thorfinn finally is happy 😊
Jun 19, 2023 10:16 AM
May 2023
Awesome adaptation 👍🏻❤️❤️❤️ waiting for next season ❤️
Jun 19, 2023 10:16 AM
Mar 2021
best anime of winter 2023!
Jun 19, 2023 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
Wow. This episode with the family reunion was incredibly sad, happy and funny all at the same time. Thorfinn has finally found his answer and looks like he's emerged as a changed man at the end. It's been a pleasure seeing this wonderful arc.
Oct 2022
kinda crazy it took nearly 50 episodes before the characters from vinland saga to go to vinland
Jun 2023
❤️❤️❤️❤️ literally love this anime

Jan 2018
After all the bloodshed and suffering of the last few episodes, some comedy feels like a much-needed relief. I had no idea Thorfinn's sister Ylva was so damn strong lol. But she's Thorfinn's sister after all.

Thorfinn's reunion with his mother was touching. I never thought he'd return to Iceland. He's lucky that his mother was still alive to see him. And she's lucky that her son returned home too. I know how it feels for a mother to lose their son like that.

Vinland Saga Season 2 finally ended. And all I can say is wow. What an amazing series.

Manga readers hyped this season up. Maybe too much. But as an anime-only, it still surpassed my expectations in almost every way.

And I can't believe the manga readers were right about this thing. That Season 2 would attract a lot of haters.

Even with the farming arc memes, I didn't think there'd be so many people who'd unironically say this season sucks just because it lacks action. Or say that this didn't have any character development for Thorfinn just because he gave up fighting. But I was absolutely wrong.

Seriously, "farmland saga" used to be just a meme among the Vinland Saga community. And now I see people unironically using it as an insult.

I get that slow burners and slow pacing are not for everyone. But saying that the show sucks just because of that and "lack of action" is stupid as hell.

But I think the bright side is that the people complaining about this with their terrible takes are just a small vocal minority. Because the overwhelming majority I've seen seem to agree that this season was nothing short of incredible.

If I have to nitpick, the only episode that I didn't like as much as the others were episode 17 where Gardar died. It felt like the only episode that was stretched with a lot of repetition because the animators didn't have enough material to adapt. It could use some trimming.

Other than that, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole series. I loved the slow pacing and it only made me look forward to what came next. It's insane how every episode made me so immersed and I couldn't tell how fast they were over. One of the only anime where I didn't see how much time was left in every episode.

I am looking forward to what Vinland Saga has to offer beyond Season 2. Hopefully, Season 3 will come sooner rather than later.

The lack of new episodes every Monday is gonna leave a hole in my chest for a while.
Jun 19, 2023 10:18 AM

Feb 2021
WHO'READY TO CRY
Thorfinn just realizing how much time he was away from his homeland and how old he is was funny lol
YLVA WHY LMAO. Is this the first time in Vinland Saga changed the artstyle for comedic effect? I love it, nice to see after everything everyone has been through.
And finally the reunion... (lmao Bug-Eyes) Very touching as expected. Thorfinn truly grew up to be a great man just like his dad.
12:44 "Gothi or goði was a position of political and social prominence in the Icelandic Commonwealth" - Wikipedia
LMAO I love Ylva
Warrior: 0 (with 100 hits)
Ylva: 1 (with 1 hit)
15:26 He's probably thinking "I hope they never experience the real thing"
That slave's grave from the start of the first episode of the first season... I love how they are bringing up older events too. And in the manga it's literally been 8+ years between the chapters with the slave(3,4) and the chapter adapted this episode (100, plus some scenes from later chapters) (btw I'm not a manga reader I only checked the chapters just now)
New characters? Just like at the end of season 1 they're showing them. Here's hoping for a season 3 someday
DAMN Thorfinn got a glow up at the end
Masterpiece. Absolute masterpiece. I'm sure I'll remember Vinland Saga and Thorfinn for the rest of my life.
100/10

Edit: The "new character" at the end actually may be Askeladd when he was young because they were showing other characters in the past too.
EmbientJun 19, 2023 10:28 AM
Jun 19, 2023 10:20 AM
Oct 2016
Perfectly beautiful seeing Thorfinn come home after nearly two decades of being away. Running off in secret to follow his father when he was a kid set his life down a horrifying path. There's no better way to bring things full circle for Thorfinn after going through all his growth than to bring him home. I'm glad we could have some levity after the intense emotions at the farm for so long. Thorfinn meeting his sister again definitely helped lighten things up, she's as brutal as before even after these years. Nice to see her and Ari married and with a bunch of kids. Thorfinn playing with his nieces and nephews was very cute. Meeting his mom again made me cry, Thorfinn apologizing after being away so long. Welcoming her son back instantly knowing it was him since he looks just like Thors but short and blonde. Thorfinn telling everyone his story while he was away was probably really hard for him but they deserve to know what he's been through. Thorfinn seeing his younger self and dad again knowing where to go to find peace, he must go to Vinland and make it real. I started crying again seeing that scene, Thorfinn has become the man his father always aspired him to be. This whole season has been one long emotional journey of rebirth, for not only Thorfinn but Einar too. How these two became brothers captured my heart every episode. Its tough following up a debut season like the one Vinland Saga had but the second managed to do that and even surpass it. Truly a masterpiece that is one of the best of the year.
Jun 19, 2023 10:21 AM

Oct 2022
Finale of this season of Vinland Saga with Thorfinn reuniting with his family. At first I thought that Thorfinn's mother would be long gone and that the last episode would be Thorfinn and Einar mourning her death and set their goal to establish a place far away from slavery and exploitation similar to the place his parents wanted Thorfinn to stay away from wars, but it was not so, still the goal remain the same.

And What's up with that Canute inspired looks that Thorfinn has in the last scene.

This season was at total 360 from the previous season and was slow paced to focus on its character's development, Thorfinn going from a depressed person with no hopes who does not care about anything to a person who now has his people to protect and care about.

Other characters were introduced and went through all this chaos at Ketil's farm and learned from it. Especially, Olmar who at the start rejected his true self but at the end of this arc came to realise and began to live as he wanted, not how others wanted him to leave.

Truly 10/10, slow at the start but still a masterpiece.
Jun 19, 2023 10:23 AM
Dec 2019
This shi beautiful dawg
Jun 19, 2023 10:24 AM

Dec 2021
What a way to end the season. really made me tear up seeing Thorfinns family again :')
Jun 19, 2023 10:27 AM
Aug 2016
One last ride folks!

This was the much needed calm after the storm. Thorfinn finally gets to meet his family, shares a beautiful tear-jerking moment with seeing his mom after a long time and sharing his experience over the past 16 years. Damn, that's a long time!

Throw in to the funny moments with Ylva, it felt so good to see some light-heartedness in the final episode. It really felt like the light at the end of the tunnel.

The ending vocals gave me chills, it was amazing. Although I am just slightly a bit disappointed they didn't show any tease for future characters, but I guess the main intention was to show a throwback to everyone's struggles and how it paid off. 

Wonderful. Thank you fellow Vinland enjoyers who read my every single episode post, and special thanks to 
1. @LLBird for putting episode animation staff prior to every single episode
2. @LeMorton for putting manga chapters adapted per episode including the original content added (Link: Manga chapters per episode)

5/5 episode as usual for one last time. 10/10 season. 10/10 anime. Vinland Saga has officially become my second favorite anime of all time, just after Gintama

Now, the wait for Season 3, the so called "Eastern Expedition arc" or "Baltic Sea War" arc officially starts. 

KoustubhJun 19, 2023 8:35 PM
Jun 19, 2023 10:28 AM

Jan 2019
The people who disliked this show are also the people who have yet to realise that they have no enemies...
Jun 19, 2023 10:30 AM

Jul 2020
this was a truly incredible season,  I never expected this show to turn out so great, s1 left me pretty disappointed, but this season was on a whole other level !
Jun 19, 2023 10:30 AM
Feb 2021
10/10
Thorfinn finally meeting his mom was so emotional
Jun 19, 2023 10:33 AM
Jan 2016
TokyoGhoulRemake said:
kinda crazy it took nearly 50 episodes before the characters from vinland saga to go to vinland
Its gonna take way more than that, since
Jun 19, 2023 10:36 AM
Jun 2021
Absolutely beautiful. Cried my eyes out, like always when it comes to vinland saga this season lol. When they showed us young Askeladd I really cried, I did not expect that. It was an amazing season.
Jun 19, 2023 10:37 AM
Jun 2023
Very good masterpiece great story
Jun 19, 2023 10:37 AM

Jan 2011
The show is a masterpiece.
But the lack of instant confirmation of next season probably means it has not been a huge hit in Japan. Will probably depend on the likes of Netflix to finance in that case, hence the delay, right?
Jun 19, 2023 10:39 AM
Jul 2019
The comic scenes with Thorfinn's sister were unnecessary and somewhat spoiled the feeling of the reunion, diminishing the emotion of what could have been great. And it was a disgrace to Thorfinn's past as an assassin who took over 100 punches. These comedic scenes really detracted from everything that was built here. It got really bad. It spoiled what could have been a great ending.
Jun 19, 2023 10:40 AM
Jan 2023
At last thorfinn met his family what a heart warming episode and a good ending waiting for season 3
Jun 19, 2023 10:42 AM

Jul 2022
The sister totally ruined this episode

Jun 2014
Wow. What a ride this season has been. Emotional, powerful, heartbreaking, tearjerking, brutal, bloody, violent, but after all of the turbulence that occurred throughout this arc, our boy finally made it home. Being gone for that long with no convenient form of communication like what we have today, it's easy to just assume Thorfinn was dead and gone. To see him finally feel his mother's warm embrace again had me tearing up, while his sisters reaction was much more comical lol. 

I imagine it wasn't easy for Thorfinn to recount his traumatic experiences as he was telling his family what he went through, but he made out to the other side ok. He's a different man now, one who is determined to find Vinland and create that land where people can live in peace.

Bless MAPPA for this adaptation, this is one for the ages. Just an absolute rollercoaster from start to finish, as we went through Thorfinn's experience alongside him, and felt those emotions that he was feeling. 

Dare I say it? This was better than the first season. I didn't think that would be possible, and it was certainly a tall task, but this season, even with a more character-focused approach without as much action, was an improvement over season 1. And for those who didn't like this season because it wasn't as action-heavy or had too much talking or whatever...LMFAO. You're free to have that opinion, just know that it's wrong 🙏🙏🙏 definitely gonna read the manga and I hope we get a 3rd season soon. 
thebrentinator24Jun 19, 2023 10:48 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 2021
0451 said:

If I have to nitpick, the only episode that I didn't like as much as the others were episode 17 where Gardar died. It felt like the only episode that was stretched with a lot of repetition because the animators didn't have enough material to adapt. It could use some trimming.

The lack of new episodes every Monday is gonna leave a hole in my chest for a while.
This is exactly the same feeling from me. I hated that episode, it was the only episode that was actually bad, and the mismatch in tone from the rest of the season was too visible. It was pretentious and unnecessary, it focused too much on a character that we didn't really know enough to care about as much as the rest of them. If the episode revolved more on Arnheid, because most of it either way was an anime only episode, it would be a lot more digestible.

But man what a show, I can't remember when was the last time a watched a great anime (maybe late 2015) not just something to pass time and forget after a week or two.
This was truly PEAKLAND SAGA 
Jun 19, 2023 10:44 AM
Jul 2021
Nicolas_Rudra said:
At last thorfinn met his family what a heart warming episode and a good ending waiting for season 3
I agree love Vinland but they need to stop trying to add comedy when it’s horrible
Jun 19, 2023 10:45 AM

Apr 2014
I am so glad to even pick up and watch this series. I love it so much. I hope Season 3 comes soon. But if it has to take time to be released to bring out this kind of quality. Then. I shall wait. I hope that I finish the entire Vinland Saga series before I die. That aside. Super good episode. Loved this season. Can’t wait for season 3. Until then my True Warriors! Thorfinn’s journey has only begun!
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Yesterday

31 by Natedog22 »»
35 minutes ago

» Would u like this?

DerpySven - Apr 21

26 by Spoopy69 »»
Apr 24, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2023

374 by flyswatter »»
Apr 21, 1:55 PM

» About Ketil...

th3sleeper - Apr 20

6 by BipulGamer07 »»
Apr 20, 5:15 PM

Poll: » Do you consider Vinland Saga a masterpiece?

MillerEvans23 - Apr 17

19 by MillerEvans23 »»
Apr 17, 8:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.