Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, it really looks like Canute isn't backing down with his ambitions.

That handshake looked like an iconic scene this episode though. And among all this drama, at least we can't turn eyes away from bloodshed for a little while. This episode felt like another new beginning after so much tense drama this season. It's time to build a better future. 

May 2020
You can’t win against an army of monsters and more so an individual who leads this bunch just by talking your way through. This is logical, and yes even Thorfinn knows that. So continuing on with that question Canute asked Thorfinn last time, whether he would stand against him and his army to stop him… Thorfinn just answered, “I WILL RUN AWAY”.

“I WILL RUN AWAY”, may sound super stupid after whatever Thorfinn went through just so he could get a chance to negotiate with Canute, but the fact is, it is not. He knows he can’t win against a ruler who wishes to conquer every barren land in the world, so he’d just run away as far as he could where Canute’s authority won’t touch him and his people and will build a place where people won’t be binded by the rules of a monarch. This sounds fantasy right? But Thorfinn believes he could, Einar believes he could… and heck even Canute decided to believe. 

Just like that, Canute left. He had laughs, he had his reunion but most importantly he learned even the whims of a simple person carries the thoughts as big as changing the very foundations of this world. He gained people he could call his partner as well… Thorfinn and Einar :) 

Boys left the farm. They on their journey to Vinalnd, and heck we got such a sweet epilogue sort of. Pater is alive, Olmar has changed, people have started working to bring the farm in the state it was.. and they’re just happy with whatever they’re doing. That’s what matters the most. Snake confessed his real name as well… Roald.

The conclusion to Ketil’s farm arc. And now there is just one more episode. Time really flew by.
10/5.

Jun 2019
Kobayashi Cinema, this week. That's all. A beautiful episode once again. Peak after peak.

The negotiation between Throfinn and Canute went smoothly which was not expected. So... it's nice that Canute left the farm alone and went on his way on the same mission as Thorfinn. Friends again... Canute changed some things for the better as the king.

On the other hand, Throfinn and Einar, the brothers are determined to make Vinland a reality. For Arnheid's sake. What a beautiful moment was that iconic handshake scene. Olamar has also changed a lot. They're heading back to Iceland. We also got to know the real name of Snake, Roald. Just one more episode left in this masterpiece of a season to end. Next week, the reunion.

Bye-bye... farm. RIP Arnheid.
Jun 12, 2023 9:14 AM

Mar 2017
The journey never ends.. This was one part of it.
Hopefully we get a S3 announcement/teaser next week.
A Masterpiece of an episode.
Jun 12, 2023 9:56 AM
May 2021
Damn we r nearly to the end of the season & every single ep has been amazing!! Farmland Saga arc has been fantastic!!
Jun 12, 2023 10:00 AM

Jun 2015
Hei316 said:
Are you really excited for Season 3? Balatic Sea War is the worst arc in the series.
Jun 12, 2023 10:01 AM

Jul 2017
The two paradises: Thorfinn vs. Canute, and the world's only big for one. With King Sweyn's soul dragging on Canute's soul, Thorfinn's reneges on his deal to run away from him, after seeing Canute for the 2nd time, and not much can be done this time to save Ketil's farm. And even if Thorfinn keeps on running, Canute's territory will grow, the former will keep on running to a place where he can assimilate his own paradise, a place where Canute cannot reach. It's a hard take of a negotiation, but the two sides are able to come to a consensus for peace talks. For one, Thorfinn's persuasion to Canute to stop his farm terrorizing, he may have lost the battle, but he won the hearts of the people. In many a sense, Canute DID become a good king.

The last condolences for Arnheid's passing, and the pressing on to create their version of Vinland: a land free of oppression and war, together as brothers, for themselves, for Arnheid. With Snake (now known as Roald, son of Grim)'s plea and Olmar's long-overdue thanks, they've seen all they need to see of who Thorfinn is. And despite the Old Master still having his deal with them, Thorfinn chose not to take any treasures with him, leaving Ketil's farm with Einar.

The metaphors of "Carve it", it's a sign that the Slave Arc has all but concluded, and the memories of what happened will not be forgotten.
Another masterpiece episode, and now all that awaits is next week's finale.
Jun 12, 2023 10:03 AM

Oct 2017
Hei316 said:
S3 will probably come in a year or two.
Jun 12, 2023 10:04 AM

Sep 2015
Well this episode was different than I thought. But overall an okay episode, it was for once somewhat different on how they approach things.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Jun 12, 2023 10:05 AM

Apr 2019
They did a great job adapting this from the manga. Magnificent job. Wow.

Jun 12, 2023 10:06 AM

Jan 2019
An amazing climax episode that encapsulates what Vinland Saga is about. Perfect. I absolutely adored it. The exchange between Thorfinn and Canute is perfect and the vow between Einar and Thorfinn was powerful as well. Brilliant direction, Kobayashi never lets me down. I'm sure there will be cynical people that will despite this episode that will appear in this thread, but that doesn't matter honestly. I'll miss the farm and I'll miss Arnheid, but this marks a new chapter for a story much more grand than you would expect. Rooting for a season 3 even if it's unlikely.
Jun 12, 2023 10:13 AM

Jun 2014
Absolute cinema. Just peak fucking fiction this episode was. 

The tense conversation between Thorfinn and Canute came to a peaceful and even amicable conclusion. Canute called off his plans to take over the farm, and seems to consider Thorfinn and Einar his allies now. 

But the real bread and butter of the episode, the iconic handshake. I've seen the manga panel out of context, but with context the scene is even more powerful. Two men, two brothers, vowing to create a peaceful land that they can proudly tell their deceased friend about (RIP Arnheid once again 😔). The music in that scene stood out to me the most, how it heightened the emotional weight of what was happening. Just a beautifully put together episode. Our boys have left the farm, and even got to learn Snake's real name (Roald) as they departed. Now finally, Thorfinn will reunite with his family after so many years. What a master class of an episode this was, and I'm sad that it's ending next week. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 12, 2023 10:17 AM
Mar 2021
Honestly, if they ended the series here, I'd be happy. Very happy and open-ended conclusion.
Jun 12, 2023 10:18 AM

Feb 2013
This was one of the best episodes in anime history. What a masterpiece!!

Jun 12, 2023 10:20 AM
Mar 2023
just one thing about this episode a perfect masterpiece episode of vinland saga anime not a action episode but it is full of emotions and drama a new beginning for the anime. Looking forward for last episode of season and next upcoming seasons
Jun 12, 2023 10:22 AM

Jan 2018
Canute laughed. I can't describe the sense of relief I felt seeing a man who was so grumpy the entire season laugh like that. And it was so unexpected as well. Thankfully Canute withdrew his troops. And Thorgil never got the fight he wanted.

At the beginning of the series, I wanted Olmar to have character development. What he got was probably the best thing that could ever happen to a character like him. He became a man.

But I never would've expected Ketil to turn out like he did. He was the most stable character in the beginning. But now he's just a mess. He lost it all. The beginning of the invasion might not have been his fault but things quickly escalated as he went out of control. He overestimated what he could do and made a lot of bad decisions that'll haunt him for the rest of his life. But at least his son Olmar, Snake/Roald, and the other guests became farmers.

That handshake scene man. Oof. It got me filled with emotion. I loved it. One of the best anime moments of this year for sure.

There's still one more episode left. And it feels like an epilogue chapter whereas this episode felt like an ending. Thorfinn finally goes home and meets his family. This one's going to be another tearjerker for sure.

But man I'm not ready to say goodbye to Vinland Saga again for who knows how many years. Hopefully, Season 3 will be announced very soon.
Jun 12, 2023 10:23 AM

Sep 2020
Nycro said:
Hei316 said:
Are you really excited for Season 3? Balatic Sea War is the worst arc in the series.
Yes we are excited for S3.
Jun 12, 2023 10:26 AM

May 2020
another amazing episode
just more ep left of the season and I'm hyped for it
from the preview, it looks like Thorfinn finally goes back home
can't wait for it
hopefully, we get a season 3 announcement 
Homura24Jun 12, 2023 10:51 AM

Jun 12, 2023 10:28 AM

Feb 2021
He ran, just as his ancestors did so they can live in peace without war...
Thorfinn the man, the myth, the legend
And Canute actually proceeded to withdraw and changed his ways.

The phrases from the start of the season! The retainers plowing the land and looking at their hand and calluses. This moved me so much.
This was a beautiful episode. Really felt like a finale. But there is one more this season and

Really hoping for a season 3 announcement eventually 🙏
EmbientJun 12, 2023 10:33 AM
Jun 12, 2023 10:34 AM
May 2021
Absolutely amazing
Jun 12, 2023 10:38 AM

Aug 2013
that was masterclass level storytelling to bring about the conclusion to an arc that was steeped in symbolism and metaphors; beautiful, just beautiful
Don't believe the hype.
Jun 12, 2023 10:39 AM
Aug 2016
Another Monday, Another Vinland episode, Another Seinen masterclass, this time with bromance edition.

- Canute giving Thorfinn choice of killing him, expecting Thorfinn will violently react. Sweyn's head spinning around Canute manipulating him as usual

- Thorfinn says that he will simply run if he has no intention to leave the farm

- Canute wasn't expecting that and he starts laughing. He says people bargain and try to trap him, but he simply came beaten to tell him not to seize the farm. I can understand where Canute is coming from, a king always expects the worst case scenario in peace negotiations, so listening to something so light hearted can be off-putting for sure XD

- "So the Vikings are capable of producing someone like you. You're a beautiful man." Nice lmao, Canute actually was impressed by Thorfinn's thought process hehe

- Juxtaposition of Thorfinn and Canute's way of creating paradise. Thorfinn tells Canute that he will create a world for the oppressed people to live in, who cannot live in Canute's world

- "If you keep oppressing people, eventually no one will be able to save you. You need to try harder. Don't make more work for me." I love Thorfinn lmfao 😂😂😂

- Thorgil is dissatisfied that Canute has left. Another L for Thorgil 

- Canute disbands his troops stationed in England, and gains the trust of English nobility. That's a good move on his part, which will not require unnecessary overhead of feeding and in general tending to the troops.

- Scene forward to next day. Thorfinn wakes up and walks up to Einar. He apologizes to Einar for doing something crazy. 

- "When Arnheid drew her last breath, I couldn't answer her right away. I couldn't tell her why she had to live. What am I supposed to say to a soul that's been through hell and yearns for the peace of death?... I want a world where I can tell people to live. One I can proudly describe to people whose only salvation is death. A place more appealing than death. That's all we ever wanted in this world we live in... I won't accept it. If a place like that doesn't exist, then I'll make one. Einar. Brother, come with me. We'll build a peaceful land in Vinland. One we can proudly tell Arnheid about."

"Let's do it, brother. Beyond the sea, let's create a country without slavery or war."

"For Arnheid."

Man... so powerful words, and such powerful bromance 🥹😭👏

- Einar and Thorfinn give their thanks to the farm folks. To Olmar. To Pater. To Snake. To Sverkel. 

- While leaving, Snake tells his real name. "My name is Roald, Son of Grim." That's a good name you have Snake haha!

- Full circle back to first scene of season 2: "Carve it. Carve it into your flesh. Carve it into the land. Carve it into the sea. Carve it into your spoils. Carve it into your enemies. Carve it. Carve it. Carve what you feel into me. Carve that encounter into me." Episode end.

I have no more words, the episode itself was very expressive in terms of delivery of emotions. Oh well, with one more episode to go, it's gonna be one last Monday to look forward to. Till then, until next time folks! Next episode though, titled "Home"... They really want to make us emotional, even in the last episode huh 🥹🥹🥹 Oh well, I guess I can save some tears for next Monday as well. 

PS: How did I forget to talk about Kobayashi cinema! The animation as usual was awesome, especially during the talk near Arnheid's grave. Fantastic job Kobayashi-san 👏👏👏

PPS: Pater is also alive! Man, I am so happy that he lived to see the day. He was always helpful to Thorfinn, Einar and Arnheid and did not deserve to die in the war started by Ketil. 

PPPS: Borrowing this from @LLBird 's comment:
"Carve it into your flesh"
Let your pain and suffering leave a mark on you, learn from it, and live by it.

"Carve it into the land"
Don't stop being a better person on your own, spread it, and make an impact on people around you.

"Carve it into the sea"
Explore vast distances, discover and learn new things.

"Carve it into your spoils, carve it into your enemies"
Make sure people who are against you get that impact as well. Make sure your voice is heard and that they remember it.

"Carve what you feel into me"
For those who root for you, make sure they understand your passion, your desire to be a good person"

"Carve that encounter into me"
Never lose hope, always know that there is a bright side to everything. Always know there is good in people.
KoustubhJun 15, 2023 1:15 PM
Jun 12, 2023 10:39 AM
Oct 2020
GOAT....GOAT...
Jun 12, 2023 10:44 AM

Jan 2019
What absolute gigachads, I love to see such a good depiction of healthy masculinity. It works so well because it feels earned and is juxtaposed against how horrible the rest of the world is.

Jun 12, 2023 10:45 AM
Oct 2016
A masterful way to wrap up this long arduous farm arc. Thorfinn saves the farm that saved him. Canute was convinced to do the right thing, that his way does only oppress a few but those people still need a place to go. They won't be welcomed in Canute place he's building but Thorfinn can create a place free of war and slavery. Things were tense until Canute had a belly aching laugh at Thorfinn just deciding to run if Canute wouldn't leave. What would be the point in killing each other here. Canute had his dead dads bead floating around dripping poison into his ear but Thorfinn light brought Canute around to reason. Leaving the farm, stopping his requisition of other farms, disbanding his Danish army in England, being accepted by the English nobility for his trust in them. See listening to Thorfinn brings good results, they were all able to resolve this through conversation instead of bloodshed.
Thorfinn and Einar vowing to make a place that those whom seek peace through death would rather go than dying. Arnheid didn't have an option like that since she'd been through hell and had no prospects of things improving. But now Thorfinn and Einar can create a place where those seeking peace can live happily, it's all they want in life is to live in peace. Very fearful goodbye to the farm and those we meet there, I cried once they were all standing on the dock saying goodbye. Olmar telling Thorfinn he wants to be like him. Snake yelling his real name as they sailed off. Such a great wrap up and we still have a beautiful epilogue for us next week.
Jun 12, 2023 10:45 AM

Jul 2012
The characters in this story are so, so good. From the relationship between Throfinn and Canute, to Einar, Roald, Olmar, Sverkel and Arnheid. That was just some amazing storytelling.

And now, Thorfinn's finally returning home.
Jun 12, 2023 10:46 AM
Jul 2021
I haven't seen such a cathartic episode in a while... Vinland saga is a masterpiece. Can't wait for the last episode.
Jun 12, 2023 10:48 AM

Jan 2009
amazing did they added more filler or bonus content than the manga? i did not remember some of the talks in this episode from the manga

thorfinn knows that canutes belief is utilitarianism

meanwhile thorfinn will run away from that to a place with no war or slavery called vinland

the classic analogy of the sheeps being controlled by the shepard is a nice touch also that that a single sheep can lead other sheeps astray and towards a cliff is good

thorfinn wants to tell the hopeless that there is a better peaceful place than death too and that is hopefully vinland

olmar said he wants to be like thorfinn a kind and strong man, a real man
Jun 12, 2023 10:51 AM

Apr 2018
Canute's just like Thorfinn, but has a different approach as he is the ruler of many people. He has to take routes that evil, while Thorfinn will take the peaceful way. He sees him as an ally which is exactly why they could have such a conversation with each other. They simply understand one's view and wants to do the same, but it's impossible for Canute to do it in the way that Thorfinn wants to.
He does seem to withdraw his troops and use his authority in a friendlier way. But, he'll still conquer.
Aside from that, a beautiful conversation between our main characters who'll build a beautiful place in Vinland together. Saying farewell to the farm and that was one of the purest moments.
I also loved to see what they're doing on the farm.
And fuck yes, we'll finally get to see Thorfinn with his family again.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jun 12, 2023 10:51 AM

Sep 2021
Goddamn I love this anime soooooo much! <3
Jun 12, 2023 10:53 AM
Apr 2018
Sheesh! I've never seen peak like this season of Vinland.

If we won't get a 3rd season in a while, at least we'll get to see Thorfinn reunite with his family.
Jun 12, 2023 10:59 AM
Apr 2017
Amazing episode, the evolution from the history its something that i would never expect
Jun 12, 2023 11:01 AM

Jul 2014
They peaked beyond peak holy shit. One of the best episodes I have seen
Jun 12, 2023 11:02 AM
Jan 2023
I don't know but I'm crying so hard...man what a show...it carved my heart
Jun 12, 2023 11:06 AM

Jul 2013
I'm gonna miss Thorgil a lot.
Jun 12, 2023 11:06 AM

May 2016
Masterpiece 

I can't find words to describe it, masterfully done.
Jun 12, 2023 11:08 AM
Apr 2022
Best episode i've ever seen.
Jun 12, 2023 11:07 AM
Nov 2020
the series could end here and I'd be happy. I do want more though. PEAK
Jun 12, 2023 11:09 AM

Feb 2019
No words. Simply zenith. I’m over here crying my eyes out. Nothing’s made me cry in a while. Best episode of an anime I’ve seen in years. This is what art is supposed to be.

This could’ve easily been a perfect send off to season 2, and we’ve got another episode next week that promises to be just as emotionally powerful. Anime of the year by a very wide margin.

“So the Vikings can make someone like you. You are a beautiful man” those words from Canute just gave me goosebumps, combined with the OST and sunset in the background. I could not have asked for a better adaptation of that moment.

I want to be like you. Strong and kind like you. A real man. I’m so proud of Olmar for his character arc. It’s come full circle from wanting to be violent like his brother to realising real strength doesn’t come from violence, but from kindness. Killing people doesn’t make you a man.

Just perfection.
Marinate1016Jun 12, 2023 11:12 AM
Jun 12, 2023 11:12 AM
Jun 2015
Greatest of all time. Zenith of the medium. Hallmark of media. Gold standard of storytelling. Apogee of creativity. Vertex of invention. Crest of ingenuity. Acme of imagination. Pinnacle of innovation. Epic of epics. Legend among legends. Peak fiction.
Jun 12, 2023 11:14 AM

Nov 2013
Epic. Purely epic. Haven't read the manga so I was SHCOKED when Canute actually left!
Jun 12, 2023 11:16 AM
Dec 2015
a new spin on the anime protag. he doesn't always have to fight
Jun 12, 2023 11:17 AM

Feb 2012
Seeing Thorfinn through Canute's eyes in the lead-up to this outburst (with lively "camera" movements) was a brilliant touch.
"Brother"
The wait for the defining moment to be adapted has paid off.

No bruised and swollen Thorfinn to bid farewell?

Though I'm still glad to have seen Olmar find a different role model.
Fortress_MaximusJun 12, 2023 2:04 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 12, 2023 11:18 AM

Feb 2022
This is the Peakland saga we have witnessed.
Jun 12, 2023 11:19 AM
Oct 2017
What can i say more! Such a great episode!
Jun 12, 2023 11:22 AM
Dec 2022
Let's be honest here everyone personally this episode was very satisfying for me I had absolutely no problem idk who rated it less than 3/5 but I do know that those ppl are action hungry this ep was quite funny interesting and sad and we also got to know the canute change so I think it is a 5/5 from me
Jun 12, 2023 11:22 AM
Mar 2021
I feel like this was the most beautiful episode of the season
Jun 12, 2023 11:26 AM

Jul 2019
Amazing ending to this arc.
Some people say that Thorfinn is idealistic, and while it's true that there are many people who can never be reasoned with.
But his ideology is what shaped humanity into more what it is today, and less savage.
Just generally the whole dialogue between Thorfinn and Canute was great.

And to finish off the season, Thorfinn homecoming will be perfect.
Jun 12, 2023 11:26 AM

Mar 2013
God really... This series should samn it an Oscar get (as best Anime series and best regie 2022) in the next Oscar Award event, if not then it's a fucking shame!!!
Jun 12, 2023 11:32 AM

Sep 2014
Oh come on now, how tf do you skip Thorfinn's completely swollen face?

Other than that minor nitpick, a masterpiece of an episode as I expected it to be. Time to see, Thorfinn's family again after so long. 
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2023

138 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » we getting that award fr ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 23

53 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

370 by ebobota »»
May 10, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.