Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 8, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
Ah, Ketli made up his mind with his own mission. This episode's psychology still remains very strong with the way it explores human behavior.

Time did its thing and we see the way Arnheid is in now. Damn, this was just tough to watch but it's the reality of their world. Hard to accept but harsh. The VA did an excellent job at amplifying the effects of the episode though imo. 

Jun 2019
Another week. Another painful Vinland Saga episode.

Canute and his battalion are already on the way to Ketil's farm and it seems things will not go smoothly for them. Ketil and others are already at the farm and Thorgil is trying to prepare everyone for the upcoming war. Ketil is broken to the point that he needs Arnheid's consolation. But, to his surprise, she tried to escape the farm.

And, then, everything was pain from there on out. Poor Arnheid. She's so damn unlucky. Ketil finally lost it. That was so painful to watch. Brutal. Taking all of his frustration out here on Arnheid. Mayumi Saco once again did a great job voice-acting her. But, I'll always be grateful to Snake for that moment. Otherwise, Ketil would've killed her. Poor Einar. And, it seems like Ketil is now extremely angry.

May 2020
Now if there's one thing we were missing in the Gardar- Arnheid saga, it was the presence of Ketil. Since they were already in some deep mess themselves, the least they could’ve expected, especially Ketil, was a peaceful welcome to home. Though as we know things were anything but normal for the people of this farm these past few days. 

As Ketil and his sons arrived with the news of them being at a state of war, that alone was enough to shake things down to the core, but if that was the only thing more than disturbing this episode.. as when Ketil got the news of Arnheid’s attempt to escape, things took a turn for absolute worse, and I mean far far worse than anything we saw this whole season. 

Ketil beating the living life out of Arnheid wasn’t just disturbing, but so heart-wrenching that few words alone aren’t even enough to express just how much sorrow I feel for Arnheid here. It was extremely painful back in the manga, and the adaptation elevated the pain tenfold. 

FUCK YOU Ketil.
Softhenic03May 8, 2023 9:09 AM
May 8, 2023 9:31 AM

May 2020
holy hell that was a brutal episode
yet it was probably the best one of this season so far
Ketil was understandably very pissed off and hearing that Arnheid tried to escape was the last straw 

everything about this ep was perfect except one this
I wanted to see Thorfinn and Leifs reacting to finally meeting each other again
that was one of the things I was looking forward to the most

anyways another amazing ep this week
can't wait for the next ep
Homura24May 8, 2023 12:05 PM

May 8, 2023 9:36 AM

Apr 2013
The moment I was dreading the most from this season was finally adapted... brutal. Ketil is unredeemable after this (and a phony). My only complaint (and for anime onlys note that it's the same thing in the manga) is that Leif and Thorfinn's reunion isn't showed or on the forefront whatsoever after building it up quite a bit.

The confrontation with Canute approaches, cannot wait for the conclusion of this arc.
KneelBeforeMeMay 8, 2023 10:42 AM
May 8, 2023 9:56 AM
May 2021
Woww this ep was so brutal!! 2 eps of back to back pain…
Ketil man.
May 8, 2023 9:57 AM

Nov 2016
My GOAT Ketil did nothing wrong 😂

I feel like his biggest sin is being a weak coward, these people can be the most dangerous at times. If he was stronger he would've handled the situation differently. Poor bastard caused even more suffering. You thought Arnheid's nightmare was over after last weeks episode? God be like: "Nope, just getting started"

But hey, at least he plans to keep the same energy when facing Canute.

FMmatronMay 8, 2023 3:08 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 2019
For the anime onlies that heard about how much us manga readers would fear this episode.
Now you know, now you know our pain.
Dec 2019
This episode was very depressing
May 8, 2023 10:00 AM

Jul 2017
Prince Canute is on his way back to Ketil's farm, with favorable winds, and a temperament that knows not to surrender towards the people who oppose him.

Thorgil is back with Ketil to prepare for the war against Canute, and with the renewed Olmar, it's his first real battle which he always wanted. Thorfinn's old master with the young Thorfinn as well, it's a reunion meeting. The retainers have less time and inexperienced soldiers to ready for war, and both Thorfinn and Einar depress over Arnheid and if Ketil knows that she had escaped with Gardar, especially for the former which looks up to Snake and regretted that Gardar has to die in order to get his wife back. But if violence is the last resort, what would the first choice be, and Thorfinn wants to spend his lifetime searching for that answer so that nobody will get hurt in the future. The glaring truth is swept into Ketil's face by his very own wife, with Arnheid locked up, and anger befits his feelings all over.

The old geezer Leif wanting to see Thorfinn, but Snake prohibits seeing him, and Pater suggesting to buy both Thorfinn and Einar from Ketil, though with Arnheid is an issue, and Pater wants enough to buy all 3 slaves from him. Though Arnheid is left in the lurch, Ketil coming back to deal with her in his pain-filled torture, and right now, he doesn't even care about the unborn child that is supposed to belong to him. Basically, anything that comes out of her mouth, Ketil will not believe ever again, and even the horses cry out in fear enough for Snake to stop him from executing her, even though he has the right to do so. Eventually, Ketil gave up, and Leif requested to buy all 3 slaves from him, though for Thorfinn and Einar he's ok with, but he won't release Arnheid that easily. It's sorrow for those that saw the travesty, especially for Einar who's been watching her from afar, and Ketil will not let this fly pass him, for the upcoming war will draw all of his breath to get what he wants, even if it's the king.

It's official now: Ketil is just the worst master around.
May 8, 2023 10:02 AM
Feb 2022
Poor arnheid. Gardar just died and now this. Its worse to be a female slave than male slave I guess especially pretty ones.
May 8, 2023 10:03 AM
Apr 2022
What an excruciatingly painful episode to watch
May 8, 2023 10:08 AM

Jan 2009
sad episode and the reunion of Lief and Thorfinn got spoiled by it
May 8, 2023 10:09 AM

Apr 2014
The last 8 or so minutes were excruciating to watch, but it also showed how cruel the world is. Ketil's breakdown was inevitable with the upcoming war and betrayal of Arnheid and Snake was also right in some kind of way.
May 8, 2023 10:16 AM
Sep 2021
This episode was hard to watch for sure, but I'm happy Thorfinn reunited with Lief.
May 8, 2023 10:21 AM

Jun 2015
Keitl is just misunderstood. Happens to the best of us... 
NycroMay 8, 2023 10:32 AM
May 8, 2023 10:26 AM

Jun 2014
Fuck Ketil. I have nothing else to say about that part of the episode. Just, fuck Ketil. Worthless sack of shit. 

Nice to see Canute again as he and his forces continue their advance toward Ketil's farm. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 8, 2023 10:27 AM
Oct 2016
Ketil returns home to disaster. An absolutely brutal episode seeing the fallout from Arnheid attempted escape. Leif ship arriving there just a couple of days before Canute forces will. There's not much time to prepare and Ketil isn't in a good headspace right now. Canute suddenly trying to steal his farm has rattled Ketil immensely. A rough look bursting out of that shipping barrel looking haggard as can be. Its understandable Ketil would be in shock considering he didn't do anything wrong to warrant Canute seizing his farm. Its just too valuable for Canute to not acquire. Ketil stumbling around looking for Arnheid, hearing about her betrayal just breaks him even further. The rage Ketil shows Arnheid completely breaking his heart to know the one person he trusted tried to leave. Twisted as it may be Ketil is heartbroken, doesn't condone him beating Arnheid to near death but he's very hurt by this whole situation. If only people could find that first method Thorfinn brought up. Instead of resorting to violence without taking things over or hurting someone. Canute seems open to keeping them alive if they submit, but with Thorgil making battle preparations that doesn't seem likely.
May 8, 2023 10:29 AM

Dec 2020
Wow ketil is really angry and what he did to arnheid was crazy i not though that he woul beat so becashe had a child in her belly.
Thorfinn and einar are shocked to see armheid in this condition i hope she gote well.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

May 8, 2023 10:43 AM
Feb 2023
They skiped the moment when Leif met Torfiin What if Ketil was always like that in past 😏
mastamavisMay 8, 2023 10:47 AM
May 8, 2023 10:45 AM
Jun 2019
One of the most brutal scenes I've ever seen in any anime. What a cruel world for the slaves, especially Arnheid. Can't wait to see how the next episode unfolds.
May 8, 2023 10:49 AM

Jan 2019
Ketil really went from one of the most relatable characters in the show to my most hated in the space of a single episode.

May 8, 2023 10:52 AM
Feb 2023
Nycro said:

Ayyo! my crush is currently dating one of my close friends so gotta search for a stick right?
May 8, 2023 10:53 AM

Apr 2023
Great episode i just wished we could've seen the reunion of Leif and Thorfinn

erixqhJun 18, 2023 9:01 AM
May 8, 2023 10:54 AM

May 2015
I know it was a very sad episode but I can't help feel slightly let down that after all this build-up to Thorfinn and Leif's reunion, it lead to nothing shown. As an anime-only it was something I was really looking forward to seeing. 

♡ artist
サコ
May 8, 2023 10:59 AM

Nov 2016
Ainuldex19 said:
FMmatron said:

Feel bad for you that you take everything on the internet seriously and that One Piece fans hurt you

Why are everyone behind one piece and fmab on mal ?I mean there is always one person who ruins the joke in forums/comment section.
Anyway,I read the manga and I still don't have the guts to watch it😭

People are just mad that they didn't enjoy them as much as we did 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ainuldex19 said:
Nycro said:

Ayyo! my crush is currently dating one of my close friends so gotta search for a stick right?

Go for it, never forget that she's to blame and you're exercising your right 😤

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 8, 2023 10:59 AM

Sep 2008
Ainuldex19 said:
Nycro said:

yeah, sometimes you just have to show em their place (j/k)

Edit: that does suck my man, that you have to experience that. If it was not your friend, I would defo suggest confessing your feelings...but man, I wouldn't do it in your situation. 
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 8, 2023 11:00 AM
Aug 2016
Oh boy, the thing that I was fearing the most has finally happened. Arnheid... 😭

Episode starts with a conversation between Canute, Wulf and Floki on the way to Ketil's farm. Canute says he will give Ketil a chance to bend the knee and if he refuses all will pay

Ketil and Leif reach the farm with Ketil desperate to search Arnheid

Ketil finds out from his wife that Arnheid tried to escape and proceeds to go to the stable

A man watching out for Arnheid tries to molest her but Ketil comes and tells him to leave

... It happens ... Man Arnheid can't catch a break. First this woman loses her son, then her husband, and now gets herself beaten for just trying to do the most humane thing a human would do. Ketil, man... I knew in episode 7 "Iron Fist Ketil" that him being obsessed with Arnheid is problematic but it blew up to such an extent in this episode that... it was difficult to watch...

Snake stops him (I like Snake a lot, just like Thorfinn does) and Pater tends to her wounds. Leif offers to buy Einar and Arnheid along with Thorfinn, but Ketil allows only Einar and Thorfinn and not Arnheid. 

Ketil in rage removes his sword from chest. Episode end.

Man, Arnheid... I feel she is not going to make it. Bruh... the only thing I want for her at this point is to pass on with her child so she will be reunited with Gardar and Hjalti in the afterlife...

5/5 episode, infinity/5 pain. 
Looks like it's all going down in next episode, "The Battle of Ketil's Farm."
KoustubhMay 9, 2023 9:03 AM
May 8, 2023 11:02 AM
Jan 2023
This episode gave me emotional damage :')
May 8, 2023 11:03 AM

Sep 2015
*sigh* That was an awful dialogue from Ketils wife,
I wished it was more specific, but its so linear...

Arnehid helped Gardar out of his ropes to fend off 4 other guests after kill 1, she then hid Gardar and planned to escape with him.

Again with the complete contrived 180 change, the episodes prior had him shocked on his son Thorgil killing the Prince's Men,and the Prince wanting his farmland himself. This anime does not use that time for build up his anger, motivation and reason for that.

This is similar to the contrived changes we had from S1 for Canute and Thorfinn's character.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

May 8, 2023 11:04 AM
Nov 2019
das crazy, so crazy, im crazed
May 8, 2023 11:04 AM
Aug 2020
KneelBeforeMe said:
The moment I was dreading the most from this season was finally adapted... brutal. Ketil is unredeemable after this (and a phony). My only complaint (and for anime onlys note that it's the same thing in the manga) is that Leif and Thorfinn's reunion isn't showed or on the forefront whatsoever after building it up quite a bit.

The confrontation with Canute approaches, cannot wait for the conclusion of this arc.

I think they will portray the reunion in the next episode since this episode was centered around Ketil.
May 8, 2023 11:06 AM

Aug 2021
The Arnheid scene ;---;

I wanted to see the reunion of Thorfinn and Leif
May 8, 2023 11:07 AM
Feb 2023
eyerok said:
Ainuldex19 said:

Edit: that does suck my man, that you have to experience that. If it was not your friend, I would defo suggest confessing your feelings...but man, I wouldn't do it in your situation. 

My crush is genuinely a great person and so is my friend. They both deserve happiness and confessing will kinda leave a bad mark haha which I won't do.
For my next crush I will try to take the initiative faster;)
[Ah it always feels great to see a ero sennin pfp ]
May 8, 2023 11:10 AM
Nov 2016
This Ep was God tier
May 8, 2023 11:11 AM
Jul 2022
This episode was brutal, but it’s a fantastic portrayal of the difference between cowardice and strength.
Last episode we saw what strength looked like: Thorfinn fighting Snake, despite him not wanting too.
This episode we see what cowardice looks like:
Ketil snapping and beating Arnheid within an inch of her life.

Ketil’s character is the epitome of cowardice: He was afraid of violence and conflict, hiding behind the persona of ‘Iron Fist Ketil’. When Canute made his move to take his farm, he hid himself in a barrel, trying to escape the situation by hiding. Finally, he proves it in the statement he makes as he beats Arnheid, “I won’t suffer losing something I never doubted!”

Ketil is a coward who’s always chosen the first option, rather than suffering to find a better one.
May 8, 2023 11:11 AM
Feb 2023
FMmatron said:
Ainuldex19 said:

Why are everyone behind one piece and fmab on mal ?I mean there is always one person who ruins the joke in forums/comment section.
Anyway,I read the manga and I still don't have the guts to watch it😭

People are just mad that they didn't enjoy them as much as we did 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ainuldex19 said:

Go for it, never forget that she's to blame and you're exercising your right 😤

Goda's peak is only for the chosen to savour,can't blame them.
May 8, 2023 11:15 AM
Dec 2021
bro i fucking love mondays
insomiacs + vinland a is a beautiful combo
May 8, 2023 11:16 AM

Jan 2018
That CGI boat scene in the beginning though. I thought my PC was lagging. Yikes.

But you know you're watching Peak when you realize the only complaint is just a scene that's only a couple of seconds long.

Seriously though. I was so immersed in the episode that I didn't even realize how the time flew.

It looks like Ketil is reverting back to his old self. I was doubting that maybe his past was fake but it doesn't seem to be the case. Lots of suffering can push and break even the kindest man.

I feel so bad about Arnheid. I don't think the baby will survive. :(

I was hoping that maybe we'll get a moment together with Thorfinn and Leif's reunion. But so much shit has happened, it's understandable that it wasn't a point of focus in this episode. Maybe in the next episode.

With 6 episodes left, I think we're nearing the final battle. Bring it on.

May 8, 2023 11:17 AM

Oct 2016
no reunion scene between Leif and Thorfinn? the fuck?
preview had something like them talking but it feels super weird, since we have seem them together already when visiting Arnheid
May 8, 2023 11:19 AM
Feb 2023
PrecureHunter said:
no reunion scene between Leif and Thorfinn? the fuck?
preview had something like them talking but it feels super weird, since we have seem them together already when visiting Arnheid

maybe it will like a flashback ,ig they wanted to focus more on the tragedy this ep.
May 8, 2023 11:20 AM

Aug 2013
I was so sure he won't her, bro not gonna lie i enjoyed so much that he did
May 8, 2023 11:22 AM
Aug 2019
the real action is about to start 🔥
May 8, 2023 11:25 AM

Jan 2014
Why the hell they didn't show Leif and Thorfinn reunion react to each other?? 
This was the moment i was more hyped about since S2 began. 
Besides that great episode and Ketil in this episode reminded me the quote ''You being a good person doesn't make things go well for you''. He collapsed after seeing all the things he worked so hard to maintain simple going downhill. 
May 8, 2023 11:25 AM

Sep 2008
Ainuldex19 said:
eyerok said:

My crush is genuinely a great person and so is my friend. They both deserve happiness and confessing will kinda leave a bad mark haha which I won't do.
For my next crush I will try to take the initiative faster;)
[Ah it always feels great to see a ero sennin pfp ]

Glad you have a positive outlook on the situation. That's good. Yeah...I read somewhere that you fall in love (not just crush) on average 3 times in your life. So hopefully, you'll find your Vinland  person someday, and not snooze next time. GL!

Ero-seinen is everything....guy knew what life really is about. 

Chemosabe26 said:
This episode was brutal, but it’s a fantastic portrayal of the difference between cowardice and strength.
Last episode we saw what strength looked like: Thorfinn fighting Snake, despite him not wanting too.
This episode we see what cowardice looks like:
Ketil snapping and beating Arnheid within an inch of her life.

Ketil’s character is the epitome of cowardice: He was afraid of violence and conflict, hiding behind the persona of ‘Iron Fist Ketil’. When Canute made his move to take his farm, he hid himself in a barrel, trying to escape the situation by hiding. Finally, he proves it in the statement he makes as he beats Arnheid, “I won’t suffer losing something I never doubted!”

Ketil is a coward who’s always chosen the first option, rather than suffering to find a better one.

I love this contrast, and not the first time the manga/anime makes this comparison between characters and how they react to their situation. I think Ketil isn't truly a bad person deep down, its how he chooses to perceive and react to his place in society that makes him a coward, and a toxic piece of crap. Guy needs therapy. 
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 8, 2023 11:30 AM
Jan 2020
SHEEEEEEESH.

She got her ass WHOOPED. RIP to the child, that child definitely ain't surviving that.

"Was there a better way to handle this?"
Yes Thorrfin, maybe y'all shouldn't have sided with the runaway slave who killed multiple people. Just a thought Now Arnheid getting her ass beat like Eren Yeager got whooped by Levi. Or Subaru got whooped by Julius.

She could consider herself lucky. The guest were about to run through her like they do in Redo of Healer or Kuroinu.
May 8, 2023 11:34 AM

Jul 2013
I cannot be the only one disappointed that the reunion of Leif and Thorfinn happened offscreen and was overshadowed by the stuff with Ketil, right?
May 8, 2023 11:41 AM
May 2017
Illyricus said:
I cannot be the only one disappointed that the reunion of Leif and Thorfinn happened offscreen and was overshadowed by the stuff with Ketil, right?

I understand but too many mood shifts in the episode would diminish the feeling imo. Pain>happy>back to pain. Idk sacrificing the reunion may have been a necessary evil
May 8, 2023 11:43 AM

Sep 2014
Oof,  that was hard to watch. I knew what I was expecting but I was still not mentally prepared.

Ketil had already so much to deal with that Arnheid was his only consolation he could seek for. Once, he learned about her attempt to escape, he reached the breaking point. At the end, he took it out on her and unless Snake intervened he would have straight up killed her on the spot. Still, her injuries are grave and her and her baby might not survive it.

I was waiting for anime-onlies to pull a 180 about Ketil after the beating scene. He is indeed irredeemable at this point.
May 8, 2023 11:45 AM

Dec 2009
Pre_Yum said:
Another week. Another painful Vinland Saga episode.
Truth.

And I catch myself wondering why I actually look forward to it.

I'm pretty careful when it comes to inviting things like doom & gloom into my life; even in anime or graphic novel form. In fact, it took me a long time to get thru the first season because of it. I had to pace myself. However, there's just something about this second season... While it serves copious amounts of violence, injustice, heartbreak, & tragedy, none of them feel...well, would "gratuitous" be the right word? 

Usually, any series similar to this would have more merrymaking injected into the story, but the "wins" aren't presented so blatantly here. They're much more subtle. They're almost stingy with them. While it doesn't offer the same level of relief, it does feel more realistic, & I find myself appreciating that lighter touch; even tho they go hella hard on the darker elements.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2023

138 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Poll: » we getting that award fr ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 23

53 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

370 by ebobota »»
May 10, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.