Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 1, 2023 8:12 PM
Mar 2019
i cried so hard man
May 1, 2023 8:16 PM

Jun 2022
Wow, this episode made me really sad. We get Gardar and Arnheids backstory only for Gardar to die. Also, I’m sorry but Djalti is one ugly baby.
May 1, 2023 8:21 PM

Jan 2019
Snake is a beast, I think he may be more skilled than Askeladd as a warrior, or at least faster.
May 1, 2023 8:21 PM

Jan 2019
DankCheese42 said:
Wow, this episode made me really sad. We get Gardar and Arnheids backstory only for Gardar to die. Also, I’m sorry but Djalti is one ugly baby.
Most anime babies are designed to look pretty, this is definitely not the case IRL so when an anime has an artstyle that depicts them more realistically it's basically a reality check lmao
May 1, 2023 8:24 PM
Apr 2016
I can't believe we wasted the whole episode again on Gardar, hopefully we will not see Mr and Mrs slave anymore like in the mangaa.
May 1, 2023 8:39 PM
Aug 2016
Piromysl said:
This episode of Vinland Saga reminds me of the ending of "The Gladiator". The feels. :StrongManW:
Glad to know that I am not the only one who thought of Gladiator during the underwater-esque scenes 🥹
May 1, 2023 8:42 PM
Jun 2022
As a manga reader i was really happy with the way this adapted this episode i never felt even more emotional than the manga
May 1, 2023 8:43 PM
Nov 2022
this episode was so amazing
May 1, 2023 9:07 PM
Nov 2019
Surprised seeing this episode go all out for a character that's only been around for a few episodes dying.
May 1, 2023 9:08 PM
Nov 2016
Another pretty good episode, if I could rate this an 8.5 I would but since I can't, I will leave it at 8/10 for now.

Let's see how things will go from here on, if the remaining episodes manage to impress me, I may give this season a 9/10 but I need to be impressed. These last few episodes are pretty good but I'm not impressed yet, but it will hopefully get there.

And rip that dude, he deserves some rest. I guess his boy is already dead too since they got together at the end, unless that's him dreaming or something.
May 1, 2023 9:31 PM
Jun 2021
KeyYamBow said:
Before I read this thread, I already know that there will be people who will call the second half of this episode a snoozefest..
clowns that seek attention, they've watched freaking 17 eps to just hate vinland saga , they probably should stick with fast paced and flashy fights kind of anime.
May 1, 2023 9:37 PM
Jan 2023
Inugirlz said:
But like imagine believing that defending yourself against death and/or severe injury makes you still morally wrong and deserving of the consequence of death. Gardar being enslaved is the entire reason for the sequence of events so i don't see how it's irrelevant. Maybe you can explain your point better but I don't really feel the need to continue to defend my thoughts. People shouldn't be enslaved. And if they are don't abuse them and don't support a system that allows it. If you do you're already on the morally wrong side and if you die or get hurt trying to uphold that system then guess what? I don't have sympathy for you and i can't possibly see you has the morally right party.
Funny thing is Gardar wasn't fighting so he can live, he's trying to fight for his freedom. Snake literally responded by trying to capture a runaway slave to give him a chance to live. But yet when Gardar killed more men Snake had no choice but to kill him. It's not that difficult on what Gardar did to Snake's people. If you're trying to say "well he's fighiting for his freedom", then expect a consequences when you're trying to kill couple people on your sight. 

Wait so Gardar is morally right for killing people for no reason too? despite they didn't do anything but capture them? 
May 1, 2023 9:39 PM
Jan 2023
Inugirlz said:
I guess we’re just watching the different shows. He violently murdered every person that tried to kill/hurt him. That’s self defence. I don’t need to protray him as anything but what we see on screen. He’s gone pretty mad because of the circumstances but even so he still has the sense not to harm people who haven’t harmed him.

Modern standards into a fictional world? What?! In any time slavery us wrong. And everyone, including the ones living in that time know it. No one wants to be a slave. This isn’t a fantasy story and even if it is morals aren’t something you—nvm. We disagree and I don’t want to write an essay.
Yet you're saying he's allowed to live because he killed for the pursuit of his freedom? that's being hypocritical don't you think? Killing is Killing, no matter what moral ground you stand on. Gardar is as guilty as Snake regards to this situation. 

Btw the morals are definitely different 1000 years ago than it is today. 
May 1, 2023 9:40 PM

Jul 2016
MASTERPIECE of an episode. Gardar's departure and reunion with his son in the afterlife fucking destroyed me emotionally.
And now Arnheid has to be punished for helping him escape... goddammit, when will this woman have a break? When she dies? Because considering Canute is coming, death sounds very tempting right now, not gonna lie.
May 1, 2023 9:59 PM

Feb 2016
Biggest comedy anime of 2023 so far.

The fact Gardar killed Snake was a total fkng joke, the best character got killed and it accomplished nothing since Gardar fkng died too anyways, this was so dumb, Snake coul have been a great ally in future arcs.

Also after all that happened Arnheid didn't even tried to treat Gardar's new wound? She had more than enought time, maybe she wouldn't accomplished anything since it was lethal but instead of trying they went on a emotional ride to nowhere.

I'm not trying to be edgy or anything, I legit believe this was a fkng joke, this entire Gardar arc was a fkng joke, it wasn't sad at all, in fact it was infuriating since this dude just won't fkng die bro, like, stop telling us your life trought memories and die already, no one cares.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
May 1, 2023 9:59 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
The fight at the start was AWESOME and HYPE 10/10!! Snake's really that strong hey?? Damn I love it. The way they both acknowledged eachother was sick. I'd probably give Thorfinn the slight upper hand if he was armed.

Now, the downside of this episode. A 15+ minute segment dedicated to a character I don't really care about... That was a bit hard for me to sit through. Not because it was sad, but because I don't care for Gardar and Arnheid as much as I do for Thorfinn and Snake.

Most importantly, did Snake just die???? God I hope not. That'd be a waste of an interesting character :(

Just by doing that well against Thorfinn he's already in the top-tiers of the Vinland world (Thors, Thorkell, Thorfinn, Askeladd etc).

Keen for next ep to see what becomes of this situation.

Bergioyn said:
Got to be one of, if not the worst episode so far. They took like 5 pages from the manga and stretched it into almost 20 minute flashback sequence with that annoying piano going on the entire time. While good, the farm arc is already slow paced, there’s absolutely no need to slow it down even further.
Woah. I didn't realise that whole segment was stretched out of 5 pages!! That's crazy. No wonder I didn't enjoy it haha. 

Mod Edit: Merged double posts
KayKimiiMay 2, 2023 5:40 AM
May 1, 2023 10:07 PM
May 2021
Well Thorfinn and Snake we're pretty even despite the obvious.
I just wished it went the distance, but all around that was a good fight.

Arnheid's story arc seems to have come to an end.
It's disappointing that Einar wasn't in this episode, but oh well.
May 1, 2023 10:09 PM

Jan 2019
God these are such polarising opinions. People either think that the Gardar sequence dragged too long and focused on a side character that they cared less about, or an emotional journey on the reflection of a man's life, regrets, and what their life could have been and the consequences of seeking wealth and honour; which builds on the overall subtext of Vinland Saga.

I choose the latter in this case
May 1, 2023 10:26 PM

Feb 2016
@Inugirlz

Sounds to me that Vinland Saga has proven to be way too big brain for someone like you.

You do realize that Snake's men are not just his men, but serves as the only defense force of Ketil's farm, one that he's tasked to protect. Let's not forget that Canute and his army will be trashing the place soon, so such an incident not only weakened the already weak farm's defenses, the morale is also very low. All your stupid moral posture is beyond the point. There is never a good side in conflicts and things also aren't just as easy as "let the man leave with the Arnheid" if you had paid attention at all to this story you'd notice how such careless decisions may actually backfire no matter how these may have come from good intentions.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
May 1, 2023 10:31 PM

Dec 2013
That was probably the best piece of drama in anime I've ever seen. Like no over the top edge or ridiculous stuff just really good characters and writing.

Translates super well as well like I would recommend this season to someone who isn't into anime.
May 1, 2023 10:40 PM

Sep 2015
This episode managed to be even worse than the previous episode.

Now we're getting something thats contrived. Gardar manages to survive the stab, and presumably kill off Snake. And then expects me to feel bad for the guy with the flashbacks.

What was this idiot Gardar expecting to do running rogue?

Inugirlz said:
My level of sympathy for Snake is less than zero. I honestly want to like the man but his stubbornness and that tantrum about his men was just beyond selfish. Your men's lives aren't and weren't worth shit. Most if not all of them were cruel, careless and idiotic. They deserved what they got.

So you're just gonna ignore how lenient Snake was, still letting Gardar live after the death of his first men? So much for calling him "beyond selfish".

Gardar is no better in the other spectrum.

Elucid said:
God these are such polarising opinions. People either think that the Gardar sequence dragged too long and focused on a side character that they cared less about, or an emotional journey on the reflection of a man's life, regrets, and what their life could have been and the consequences of seeking wealth and honour; which builds on the overall subtext of Vinland Saga.

I choose the latter in this case

Thats the point of having discussions, you can't expect every discussion to be an echo-chamber. I want to read all sides of peoples opinions.

Mod Edit: Merged posts
KayKimiiMay 2, 2023 5:40 AM
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

May 1, 2023 11:05 PM
Oct 2019
S-Tier Farmland Saga episode!!

RIP Gardar.
May 1, 2023 11:21 PM

Aug 2022
Beautiful episode. Storytelling is an art that requires patience. It's a bold decision to ask an audience(at least a fair amount) that's more used to dehumanized, straight-to-the-point characters to see Thorfinn and co. as humans. And if you can't, it probably won't work for you. Vinland is about learning compassion and seeing violence for what it is. Cause in the real world, violence is awful.
I love this, personally. As I grow older, these philanthropic themes appeal to me. I am excited to see Olmar's character deal with the repercussions of killing a man. And if what just happened will test Thorfinn, Einar, and/or Snake's ideals.
novafounderMay 1, 2023 11:24 PM
May 1, 2023 11:38 PM
Jan 2023
AhriTheS3xyFox said:
Now we're getting something thats contrived. Gardar manages to survive the stab, and presumably kill off Snake. And then expects me to feel bad for the guy with the flashbacks.
if you saw that as a way to feel bad for Gardar then we're not watching the same series. The show literally explains his regret after leaving his family for an Iron and everything in that scene is there for him as a character to be blinded by wealth. Also idk if u know this but u can survive a stab through your chest without it t reach the heart. 
May 1, 2023 11:43 PM
May 2021
Man this episode made me cry and who tf were those fellas on horses at the end?? arnheid gonna die?
May 1, 2023 11:50 PM
Jun 2022
Holy shit. It has been a long time since an anime episode has hit me in the feels like that.
May 1, 2023 11:51 PM

Apr 2015
jas-samaaa said:
Damn what a sad ep :( poor Arnheid
Bitch had it coming.

Inugirlz said:
My level of sympathy for Snake is less than zero. I honestly want to like the man but his stubbornness and that tantrum about his men was just beyond selfish. Your men's lives aren't and weren't worth shit. Most if not all of them were cruel, careless and idiotic. They deserved what they got.
Cruel like Gardar? Biting someones throat open and murdering bunch of people? Glad that asshole is dead finally, and hope she follows him.

Mod Edit: Merged double posts
KayKimiiMay 2, 2023 5:41 AM
May 2, 2023 12:21 AM

Jul 2015
StallionXD said:

The fact Gardar killed Snake was a total fkng joke, the best character got killed and it accomplished nothing since Gardar fkng died too anyways, this was so dumb, Snake coul have been a great ally in future arcs.

Also after all that happened Arnheid didn't even tried to treat Gardar's new wound? She had more than enought time, maybe she wouldn't accomplished anything since it was lethal but instead of trying they went on a emotional ride to nowhere.

I'm not trying to be edgy or anything, I legit believe this was a fkng joke, this entire Gardar arc was a fkng joke, it wasn't sad at all, in fact it was infuriating since this dude just won't fkng die bro, like, stop telling us your life trought memories and die already, no one cares.

Everything you said is factually incorrect. Impressive.

May 2, 2023 12:27 AM
Jan 2023
StallionXD said:

Funny thing is... They literally said he's unconscious but you didn't seem to watch the whole episode at all. 
You talk about how Snake is the best character when he literally has no screentime except now, it's quite hypocritical. 

Arnheid did treat his wounds... Band-aid isn't enough to treat a stabbed mans + several wounds. Ever heard of bloodloss? 

This is a stupid criticism that the show even tells you what's going on 
May 2, 2023 12:38 AM
Aug 2022
zyke said:
Inugirlz said:
Cruel like Gardar? Biting someones throat open and murdering bunch of people? Glad that asshole is dead finally, and hope she follows him.
he did all those to get back to his family lol. You're acting like snake and his crew members are some saint lol
May 2, 2023 1:00 AM

Mar 2020
The way this season is shaping up is making me think this may just be one of the best stories ever told. Not just in anime. The amount of dedication to the long-term storytelling, the beautiful collages of theming, the sheer importance of what’s being conveyed (yet rarely ever directly told), and doing it all in a way that I’ve never seen done before.

10/10 episode.

daily reminder to try not to take it all so seriously!
May 2, 2023 1:43 AM
Nov 2017
Anime-only scenes were beautiful...
May 2, 2023 2:14 AM
Apr 2020
the anime only scenes hit.. i dont get how this isnt top 5 on MAL
May 2, 2023 2:45 AM
Sep 2022
very good and sad episode
May 2, 2023 2:58 AM

Nov 2021
The saddest cart ride ever. I was expecting the most hype episode of Vinland but instead we got the saddest one. I did not expect to feel so much for Gardar in such a short time, cried the whole episode holy shit. This is one of the best Vinland Saga episodes.

Absolute kino
May 2, 2023 3:05 AM

Dec 2019
what a phenomenal episode, I feel so empty... 
May 2, 2023 3:34 AM
Feb 2018
Peakland saga indeed!
May 2, 2023 3:53 AM
Jan 2012
I'm not sure what fans did to deserve Gardar's death being depicted this way, but I can't be dissatisfied with what we got. Episode pulled out my damn heartstrings, diced them up, blended them with dirt, and stuffed them back in my chest. That was one of the best episodes for this season.

RIP Gardar
May 2, 2023 4:03 AM

Mar 2020
this is just beautifully tragic
May 2, 2023 5:04 AM

Jul 2015
Hype_Mastuh said:
I'm not sure what fans did to deserve Gardar's death being depicted this way, but I can't be dissatisfied with what we got. Episode pulled out my damn heartstrings, diced them up, blended them with dirt, and stuffed them back in my chest. That was one of the best episodes for this season.

RIP Gardar

Indeed. While tragic, it is still possibly the best possible outcome.
Snake had full right to seek vengeance and retribution on Gardar, while Gardar can finally rest, spend his final moments with his wife and be reunited with his son.

May 2, 2023 5:14 AM

Mar 2014
well Arnheid has to pay back what has been done later on even if the conpensation has to include her death.
May 2, 2023 5:15 AM

Jul 2013
Wow, Snake vs Thorfinn was sakuga-goodness scene ❤️
sasuga MAPPA!

Poor bastard 😥
Cruel world and age.

May 2, 2023 6:09 AM

Jul 2016
StallionXD said:

I don't even know where to begin with this post...
May 2, 2023 6:18 AM
Feb 2021
what a terribly shit and boring episode, I understand fan boys/girls have no standards or self respect to make objective judgements, but are highly capable at defending anything, so I'll say it.

That the most unnecessarily dragged out episode ive ever scene in my life. It was so obvious and clear that these producers intentionally wanted to milk this one death scene beyond necessity. 30+ minutes on a single scene???? and people actually want to defend this shit??

We've gone from Farmland Saga, to Arnheid Saga. With the show focusing multiple episodes on pathetic story lines that ultimately mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. What an awful waste of time. Absolutely nothing grand has happened so far.

Oh and btw, im not a shounentard who's obsessed with action scenes, and im not a dick riding fan boy/girl with no sense of objectivity whatsoever. This seasons has had individually great episodes but when you piece it togethet, its been boring and unnecessarily prolonged.
May 2, 2023 7:00 AM
Jun 2007
That epic fight between Thorfinn and Snake. Sadly Gardar died
May 2, 2023 7:00 AM
Oct 2019
Always the mfs pulling up with negligible watchtime and mean score of 9 complaining about stuff being slow. This episode was great.
May 2, 2023 7:08 AM
Oct 2014
I....I can't... T_T
May 2, 2023 7:38 AM

Jul 2021
such a good episode. the whole cart sequence was so tragic. all gardar wanted was to live peacefully with his family again. at least he passed away thinking he met his son again. didn't cry but this episode made me genuinely sad.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 2, 2023 8:28 AM
Apr 2016
Look, I totally got the point of Gardar and Arnheid's story and how it fits within the show as a whole but yeah, unfortunately I felt the death scene was unnecessarily dragged out. 

In the end it's all subjective tho. I see that it made people cry and it's perfectly fine. 
CruicruiseMay 2, 2023 8:33 AM
May 2, 2023 8:52 AM

Mar 2020
Unexpected events…
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2023

138 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Poll: » we getting that award fr ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 23

53 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2023

284 by OrganikPatates »»
Apr 30, 6:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.