Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 20, 2023 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
To be fair, they should protect their community better from thieves. It looks like the farm has a case of theft in their recent days and the ones repsonsible were younger folks. Looks like they got caught though.

Thorgil also makes an appearance although I find his manga counterpart more ruthless. Nonetheless, he is still an intimidating man. 
Feb 20, 2023 8:00 AM

May 2020
Oh come on Einar be a bit less obvious lol. You should know better, Arnheid's a PERSONAL SLAVE of Ketil, nothing will take you anywhere. But hey those prayers will surely do as long as we’re talking about a good wheat cultivation. Great to see even Thorfinn doing his part, he’s becoming more and more human and that’s a blessing. Thank Einar for that.

In all honesty I completely forgot the existence of Ketil’s other son, Thorgil, until I saw him again this episode. And he’s a war maniac.. now we don’t have to guess who Olmar took after whenever he talks about going into a war. Though guess it has something to do with the blood after all, I mean they both are the sons of “Iron Fist” Ketil, a legend himself back in the days. But mister Iron Fist isn’t even a bit like his former self anymore, I mean just look how soft he has become, to the point that he doesn’t even want to harshly punish those who have been stealing from his farm itself. Though they were kids but still.. I mean just look at those around him, not even a shred of compassion for those very same kids.

In the end just ten hits each for the siblings, but you can see even that had Ketil flinching. He’s scared of his own son Thorgil, and he’s scared of the bloodshed.
Feb 20, 2023 8:08 AM

Aug 2022
Dude I actually forgot Thorgil existed💀 
Feb 20, 2023 9:01 AM

Jan 2019
Praying scene with Thorfinn being forced to join was hilarious

Damn is Thorgil an absolute menace, man do I feel bad for Ketil being forced to act tough with that false reputation of his... That beating scene was rough, poor Sture man. You can definitely tell that Arnheid would rather be free than stay with Ketil forever, damn.

Great episode.
Feb 20, 2023 9:01 AM
May 2021
Peak for those kids tho, but damn so Ketil is really scared of is own son? Damn… anime only watcher here.
Feb 20, 2023 9:03 AM

Jul 2017
All the talk about Ketil's farm being safe from thieves, this episode's opener is karma incoming.

Both Thorfinn and Einar looking a lot better, with the latter getting a compliment from Arnheid, both her and Einar are slave companions, treated like the slaves they are. The crops are showing fruit, and Einar is pumped for it earns them their freedom if they manage to do this right, and praying to the gods for a successful harvest is their only hope.

I've got to be honest: I also forgot about the Ketil's son Thorgil, given that there's the legendary Iron Fist father himself and Olmar around. Managing to find the thieves, which turn out to be kids, and even they are not immune to crime. Thorgil presenting the thread of Englishman human ears to Olmar, and this is the perils of war. Thorgil dealing with siblings Sture and Thora in a proper and calm way, and other than their deceased father that owes a heap of debt from Thorgil, it's Snake and his retainers dealing with them, with Thorgil giving the final verdict. The cost being usually an arm or a leg, but his son being methodological in his approach, Pater offers his advice by having the family work at their farm, omitting execution and making them productive. The worse they get off is with beating, and punishing them for their own good, it's a lesson learnt the hard way, with 10 strokes each, with Sture burdening all to save his sister. Thorgil gets tough, but Ketil has no choice either, with the fear riding down his face.

Iron Fist Ketil is mainly a facade for his behavior, he's actually no legend at all, having Arnheid to look after him, for a Nordic man who is afraid of war and violence.

What a thought-provoking episode. I'm deeply impressed by the sorrow.
Feb 20, 2023 9:11 AM

Jun 2015
jas-samaaa said:
Peak for those kids tho, but damn so Ketil is really scared of is own son? Damn… anime only watcher here.
Anyone would be. That beating he gave Sture is "taking easy" for him
Feb 20, 2023 9:13 AM

Jun 2015
Great to see the "GOD, MAKE THE CROPS GROW" scene again. Phenomenal voice acting job there.
And the scene with the little thieves is as sorrowful as I remember
Feb 20, 2023 9:14 AM

Dec 2020
Sture is taking the twenty punch for his sister too what a man.
Look like they handled the thieves in the farm pretty quickly. Thorgil i forget he was there.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Feb 20, 2023 9:20 AM

Feb 2021
Judging by the episode title I expected that we would see another, a more ruthless site of Ketil, but this was a pleasant surprise. Or more like a painful one, man this was rough.
Feb 20, 2023 9:22 AM

May 2020
we are yet again shown how brutal the world of vinland saga is

Feb 20, 2023 9:23 AM

Jan 2009
the master is scared of violence and he is soft hearted
Feb 20, 2023 9:32 AM
Mar 2021
How on God's green earth was that a light hit?!?!
Feb 20, 2023 9:34 AM
Dec 2022
As someone who isn’t caught up on the manga at all, the pacing is pretty disappointing. I keep hoping an episode will explode into action, and Thorfinn will reawaken to his warrior roots, but maybe that’s not going to happen this season? Or it’s just all going to be the 2nd 12 episodes?

It’s still a beautifully made show and I kind of see why they’re building up to, but 7 episodes in have been really slow
Feb 20, 2023 9:35 AM

Oct 2022
Damn, these people don't even go a little bit easy on kids, I mean he did it for his survival.

Although, I am in no means saying that they do not deserve punishment but that's just too far.

Guess this Thorgil character is going to be similar to Thorkell as both enjoy war.
Feb 20, 2023 9:35 AM

Feb 2019
Lmaooo that boy einar got told he was a good person and folded

Man the whole punishing the kids scene was so hard to watch because Ketil is the only reasonable one. The Norse world was full of violence and bloodshed. Being a kind person would have labelled you a “coward” which is the worst thing you could be in such a toxic environment. To that end, ketil came up with the iron fist persona to get respect from his peers and kids.

The funniest part is Olmar has always wanted his dad’s approval and to be like him and he literally is. Thorgil is the one who is nothing like his father, cruel and vindictive.
Marinate1016Feb 20, 2023 9:38 AM
Feb 20, 2023 9:36 AM

Apr 2012
Homura24 said:
we are yet again shown how brutal the world of vinland saga is
Implying that you believe the REAL world was less brutal? lol
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Feb 20, 2023 9:38 AM
Aug 2016
Iron Fist Ketil, contrary to the name of the episode, turned out to be exact opposite for Ketil. Episode starts with theft investigation of flour bags and meat, whom they later found out were two siblings Sture and Thora. Einar and Thorfinn see progress on their wheat cultivation, and Einar also encourages Thorfinn enthusiastically to pray for good harvest lol. 
We are introduced to a new character Thorgil, who is Ketil's elder son and Olmar's older brother. He is a bold warrior that Thorfinn once was, no mercy towards enemy and only brutality. Snake's gang finds out the thiefs Sture and Thora two siblings. Sture being protective of his sister tells that he will take all the punishment, even his sister. At first the suggested punishment was chopping off both hands by Thorgil, but that was too cruel, so Pater suggests working on the farm. But it is with a catch that they should not go unpunished and receive a beating. And so Sture gets a beating. First hit from Thorgil, which was too harsh. So Ketil takes the strong handle of the axe and beats Sture 19 more times. 

Turns out, Ketil is not the Iron Fist Ketil he was said to be on battlefield, and is just a coward unlike his son (honestly though, I can relate to his kindness and can't really say that he is a coward :( ). His son scares him, and so does war and violence. He tells everything to Arnheid and tells her to stay with him forever because she is the only one whom he can tell. That was actually sad to see because at the start, Einar wonders how can Arnheid be free, and we get the answer at the end of episode itself that she probably will never be. Kind of heartbreaking :'( 

5/5 episode as usual. Peakland Saga is going strong. Next episode: Empty Man. I did hear the word "Karappo" in the trailer, it seems this is it. 

PS: Thorgil giving Olmar a necklace of ears lmao. That was funny XD
KoustubhFeb 20, 2023 9:41 AM
Feb 20, 2023 9:40 AM

Jul 2014
Can't believe they hit the kid and that blonde girl is sleeping with everyone wth lol
Feb 20, 2023 9:48 AM

Jun 2019
Man... this episode was a lot to take in. Ketil is such a nice guy but his being scared of his own son is totally justified. That punishment was so brutal but he had no other choice. I felt bad for those kids and Ketil as well. Einar... it's gonna be hard for Arnheid. I hope you're prepared.

Thorfinn and Einar are growing the crops and they had some fun moments. I was happy to see them like that.
Feb 20, 2023 9:53 AM

Jun 2019
GingZ said:
that blonde girl is sleeping with everyone wth lol
The blonde girl is a slave. What do you expect? She can't refuse anyone even if she wants.
Feb 20, 2023 9:54 AM

Jun 2022
Wow, the master is truly terrified of war and even scared of his own son Thorgil whom I forgot existed before the episode. 
Feb 20, 2023 10:04 AM
Oct 2016
The lies we tell just to save face. Its hard being a good man in a brutal world. It definitely isn't easy, Ketil knows that first hand. In a world like that being kind hearted is seen as a weakness by simpler men. They'd take advantage of that kindness or snuff it out for their own benefit. You can't blink when you stare at the darkness otherwise it will destroy you. Ketil created that lie about how he was a brutal warrior fighting with is bare hands as a means to gain respect. Because in a world of constant brutality its respect that saves your life, money only gets you so far on its own. People will still turn on you if they don't respect you I mean we saw how Ketil eldest son Thorgil acted. I know some people will still not feel for Ketil because there's no such thing as a good slave owner and all that but its not that black and white. Ketil is just doing what he has to so he can survive in the type of world that he's living in. Blending in as a great man is his best course of action, because just look at those around him and under him not hesitating to beat children to a pulp for stealing while they had no other means to feed themselves.

Ketil being put in a horrible position of beating them himself because he knows anyone else wouldn't hold back. It nearly brought me to tears seeing Ketil struggle with that situation. He has to punish them to keep his respect but the act itself is soul crushing for a good man like him. Confiding in Arnheid is the only salvation he has, not that she has a choice in the matter and is treated terribly by Ketil wife, but talking to her is the only light Ketil has in a world so cold.
Feb 20, 2023 10:21 AM

Mar 2020
I was really glad to see Thorfinn and Einar doing well, with their new beards and all. Seeing Einar get all flustered while talking to Arnheid was quite hilarious, you can tell he was genuinely over the moon to get a compliment from her.

The meat of this episode, though, revolved around how cruel this world is, and because of that, how difficult it can be to be kind-hearted. Being kind is seen as a weakness by people consumed by war, as they would take advantage of such kindness in a heartbeat. Ketil is a kind man at heart, and we saw that throughout this episode, though he masked it behind the false alias of "Iron Fist Ketil", to gain the respect of the men around him. Thorgil, who is Ketil's eldest son, is very tough-looking, and that seems like the only way to be respected by all, through their fear. Heck, even his own father fears him. Last episode, there was talk about how fragile this farm could be if people invaded it, and we see a bit of that foreshadowing happen here, with the two kid thieves. I loved seeing how each person wanted to punish them, as it really showed each character's personality. I felt bad for Ketil, who had to beat them himself, because only he could truly hold back, and after the fact, he was deeply in despair, but it seems like Arnheid is someone he can go to for comfort. Overall, another fantastic episode.
Feb 20, 2023 10:30 AM

Jan 2018
I thought Arnheid was into Einar... until the last scene. Should I be worried? I guess I should be. This is Vinland Saga after all.

Iron Fist Ketil? Yet he shows more humanity than any other character so far. So, is his legend true or not? If it is, then he might've got a similar transformation as Thorfinn or at least his dad Thors.
Feb 20, 2023 10:32 AM
Apr 2021
God I love the dad he’s such an amazing character
Feb 20, 2023 10:35 AM

May 2016
That guy didn't hold back and Snake is not going help either...
Feb 20, 2023 10:44 AM

Nov 2016
Lol @ the praying

Considering the times these characters live in, getting beaten to a pulp seems like a light punishment if there's no permanent damage. The boy showed balls and if nothing else, this experience will only toughen him up more.

Ketil on the other hand is the one who's suffering from chronic distress. Still kinda fucked up how hard he went on Sture in the end :S

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 20, 2023 10:51 AM

May 2018
Snake was right, they wouldn't be taken seriously if they got off scot free
Feb 20, 2023 11:10 AM

Sep 2017
Damn my man Ketil needs a Thors in his life. Ketil had this persona made up where he was so "strong" his weapons would break and he'd have to use his fists to pulverize his enemies. Then you have Thors who lay his sword down and won all his battles with wisdom and, if necessary, his fists. A true strength. Who here was the real warrior? Kind of ironic.
Feb 20, 2023 11:12 AM
Jul 2022
Man one of the hardest episode to watch i felt bad for the farm owner he is to nice to punish those kids
all and all another great episode
Feb 20, 2023 11:16 AM

Sep 2020
Very disturbing episode. It's hard to watch 😔
Feb 20, 2023 11:23 AM
Jul 2022
0451 said:
I thought Arnheid was into Einar... until the last scene. Should I be worried? I guess I should be. This is Vinland Saga after all.

Iron Fist Ketil? Yet he shows more humanity than any other character so far. So, is his legend true or not? If it is, then he might've got a similar transformation as Thorfinn or at least his dad Thors.

She is a slave… she dont have much of a choice lol
Feb 20, 2023 11:37 AM

Jun 2014
Damn that beating scene was rough. Poor kids. And that was getting off with a light punishment too. Thorgil is a menace to society for sure, no wonder his own father fears him. 

Interesting to see that the "Iron Fist" nickname is all for show for Ketil. Ironically he was the only character to show even a shred of humanity and decency during the punishment scene. And that ending though, showing us that Arnheid is his comfort slave....Einar is about to fall to his knees in the wheat fields if he finds out about this 😭 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 20, 2023 11:43 AM
Dec 2021
It's great to see Thorfinn having some emotions.Einar and Thorfinn praying was funny.Thorgil makes an appearance in this episode.The master used be called iron fist ok.. damm the kid got best up bad for just stealing.
Feb 20, 2023 12:11 PM
Apr 2022
love to see Einar and thorfinn friendship grow
SOINDS OF EVERYTHING
Feb 20, 2023 12:17 PM
Jan 2023
0451 said:

Pretty sure she is into Einar, but she's Ketil's "personal" slave wtf is she supposed to do? Poor Einar, he'll be heartbroke when he finds out..
Feb 20, 2023 12:37 PM
Feb 2020
Einar and Thorfinn: Start praying like madmen

That one deer watching: The f**k kind of shrooms did I ate?
Feb 20, 2023 12:37 PM
Mar 2019
0451 said:

C'mon, Arnheid is Ketil's private slave, it's not like she wants to sleep with him, she just don't have an option
Feb 20, 2023 12:57 PM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 20, 2023 1:11 PM

Dec 2019
Possibly the best episode so far this season. Ketil is shaping up to be one my favorite characters in the whole series.
Feb 20, 2023 1:23 PM

Jan 2013
I used to like this anime, i rated season 1 as a 10. This season is a 5 at best. Sorry im GenX
Feb 20, 2023 1:24 PM

Jan 2013
Ahhshit said:
love to see Einar and thorfinn friendship grow
Like brokeback mountain. Men are extinct now.
Feb 20, 2023 1:34 PM

Sep 2014
Manga readers can you tell me if this story is actually this slow or is this just MAPPAs directing? Because we are 7 eps in and its super lame.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 20, 2023 1:49 PM
Jan 2021
Einar praying and grabbing thorfinn to do the same was absolutely hilarious and einars is hoping it succeeds as it earns them their freedom.
Feb 20, 2023 1:57 PM

Jan 2013
deg said:
the master is scared of violence and he is soft hearted

This is indeed what I saw.
Feb 20, 2023 2:05 PM

Jan 2011
question, has Ketil gotten soft due to war or the whole "Iron Fist Ketil" just some fake story that the people believe? 
Feb 20, 2023 2:16 PM

Aug 2022
I had my doubts about Ketil, but after this episode he really does seem like an okay guy.
UnknownGhost5Feb 20, 2023 2:19 PM
Feb 20, 2023 2:38 PM
May 2020
Einar's girl getting her back blown by the master😭😭😭
Feb 20, 2023 2:45 PM

Apr 2018
Tough episode. Thorgil makes an appearance and yeah, he's quite the dangerous guy. He wouldn't think twice before slicing off the kid's arms.
Thorfinn and Einar are farming like usual

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2023

195 by Loli_Ancap »»
31 minutes ago

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Yesterday

31 by Natedog22 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

486 by dhell26 »»
Apr 26, 9:00 PM

» Would u like this?

DerpySven - Apr 21

26 by Spoopy69 »»
Apr 24, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2023

374 by flyswatter »»
Apr 21, 1:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.