Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2023 5:56 PM

Aug 2016
Looks like more people would find out whats past the tutorial. (a lot of people were turned off by how hard and long the tutorial was also no game saves during) 
Whoever likes slice of life anime doesn't have any IRL friends.
Jan 7, 2023 5:57 PM
Nov 2016
Mcsuper said:
this episode adapted a tutorial?
Yes
Mcsuper said:
I've heard great things about the story though, so the story needs to carry, and carry hard.
Yoko Taro (Nier's director) said it's impossible to make a 100% faithful adaptation of the game (which I agree), so it's gonna have some changes. As a NieR fan, I'd say to give the anime a try if you're not so rigorous about CGI and you're curious about the story
Jan 7, 2023 5:58 PM

Nov 2021
Never played the games but I expect something similar to Vivy. Honestly the CGI was abysmal and super hard to ignore, but the 2d animated scenes were beautiful and flowed nicely. The story and themes of this show seem like they will be interesting. Hopefully the score will go up as more episodes come out.
Jan 7, 2023 5:58 PM

Jan 2018
I liked the episode, but the pacing is a little strange (understandable, since it's an anime adaptation), but wow, the CGI is utter trash.
Jan 7, 2023 6:02 PM

May 2015
The CGI being this bad really sucks because the rest of this episode was pretty good, but all people are gonna focus on is how jarring the 3D is :(

Jan 7, 2023 6:06 PM

Jul 2015
Nier is my favorite all time game (I'd say Okami too but Nier is on top now) and when I first heard about this adaptation I was like "yeah cool but unnecessary the game is already perfect", I'd say I still hold up to this opinion, but I'll not deny some fanservice, music is undeniably perfect, they're already using the original compositions by Keiichi Okabe, and the Aimer song was a blessing, she's my favorite singer, regarding the animation 2D animation looks great, and usually I don't have any problems with CGI but there were some scenes that was hard to ignore, I can live with that, it's just fanservice anyway, might not take this anime that serious and just play the game for the sixth time if I want something perfect. 
Hanamaru__Jan 7, 2023 6:09 PM
Jan 7, 2023 6:06 PM

Jul 2016
I honestly can't describe how much I love 2B's character design so seeing her in official anime form is like a dream come true. I may have a problem tho...

Anyways, promising start overall. CGI isn't as polished as it should be but the 2D animation kinda makes up for it since 2B looked absolutely stunning while fighting the machines.
Soundtrack is already contender for best OST of 2017 2023, by the way.
Jan 7, 2023 6:30 PM

Feb 2021
That CGI is so jarring and awful it makes me think they just ripped models from the actual game and used them here. Already off to a terrible start aside from the 2B ass shots
Jan 7, 2023 6:32 PM

Jan 2022
It's hard to evaluate what this will be, for now it indeed seems like a videogame adaptation with a lot of fights and panties shots.
I like everything, ok
Jan 7, 2023 6:42 PM
Apr 2022
So unfathomably good
Jan 7, 2023 6:43 PM

Dec 2013
I loved the game as much as the next person but boy if were are past from the point of Nier Automata over saturation, gonna enjoy listening again some of the game songs.
KanameYuukiJan 7, 2023 6:47 PM
Jan 7, 2023 6:43 PM
Nov 2016
I'm completely new to this franchise, I haven't played the game and I have no idea what the story is about but I finally watched the 1st episode. After all the complaints I've heard about the CGI, I agree, the CGI is quite fugly, especially the CGI in the beginning, that shit was jarring as fuck so let's just say that this anime didn't have a good start with me, the 1st episode isn't horrible but the bad CGI is noticeable and it degrades my enjoyment.

Now, I said the same thing about Chainsaw Man, I was new to that franchise too and I also complained about the fugly CGI in the 1st episode when Denji transformed but I ended up loving that anime and I gave it a 10/10, I wasn't too impressed with the CGI in Chainsaw Man but that anime did plenty of other things right so I ended up loving it.

I hope the same happens with this anime. I'm not too impressed with the 1st episode of NieR:Automata Ver1.1a either but this anime has plenty of episodes to redeem itself from that fucking ugly CGI so let's see how this goes.

So far, it's a 3/5 episode, not a big deal but I never judge an entire anime based on the 1st episode, I will give this anime a couple of episodes and see if it's really worth it. I hope this anime pulls a Chainsaw Man and I end up loving it.
Jan 7, 2023 6:46 PM
May 2021
I thought this was gonna be ghetto, but it actually turned out pretty well.
All I'm expecting now is people to bitch about the events compared to in-game.
Jan 7, 2023 6:46 PM
Oct 2021
Oh boy. The journey restarts again, (and it will restart many times in the process 😭😂).
I don't know how this frame to frame accuracy is going to work, or how the multiple endings will either.

But I have to say that I pledge my complete and absolute trust to Yoko Taro.

So far it was perfect, there's a lot of phenomenal music, deep philosophy and tears to come.

Looking forward to it.
Jan 7, 2023 6:49 PM
Mar 2021
Guys please play the game and stop looking at this garbage
Jan 7, 2023 6:54 PM
Mar 2015
The 2D is beautiful, the CGI is good. The puppets are the best.
Jan 7, 2023 6:59 PM

Dec 2020
Not gonna lie, I love anime and Nier Automata is in my top 3 all time. That opening was rouuuuuugh

I don't complain about CG but that was looking Ex Arm level for a second

watching opening credits now, guess we'll see
Jan 7, 2023 7:12 PM

Dec 2020
Aiiight I hate to hate on anything, but this ain't it.

It's a bad rendition of exactly what happens in the game, but it's somehow sucked the urgency out of anything at the same time. The game's intro sequence is wild and puts you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Maybe because I've played it, but I feel like even if I hadn't, the stakes of what made this intro scene so great kind of lived in the fact you were in control of the game. Without that, this feels oddly barren and uninspiring.

I guess we were spoiled with Cyberpunk this year, an incredible anime from a game I have not played, because this feels like the opposite. Kind of a going-thru the motions adaptation of an incredible game. Cyberpunk built it's whole own world and hit it out of the park. This not only doesn't add to what is in the game, it subtracts from it.

(I also might be extremely critical since I just binged thru FMA Brotherhood for the first time ever lol)
Jan 7, 2023 7:14 PM
Dec 2019
Never played Automata but played Replicant but this was good especially the opening by Aimer. Can't wait to see the rest and all the different endings. I'm glad they added the puppet show to explain things.
Jan 7, 2023 7:19 PM
May 2016
cgi LMAOooooooooooooooo
Jan 7, 2023 7:22 PM

Nov 2021
I'm very excited about this anime because of all the talks, I've heard about the game and also due to the cool looking visuals.
Jan 7, 2023 7:33 PM
Sep 2020
There's not much going on in the first episode, but that's just how it is in the game.
Jan 7, 2023 7:37 PM
Sep 2021
Love the game and the series has met very early expectations. Although they did get me as I haven't played all 26 endings and I legit thought they were going to run through them but they baited me so hard.
Jan 7, 2023 7:42 PM

Jul 2021
Wasn't that impressive of a start for me. For someone who hasn't played the game, the settings felt unfamiliar and really info dumping. Though, the premise sounds really interesting and refreshing, I'm a sucker for apocalypse theme so I'm expecting it to turns out good. 2B is so damn beautiful.

The production is amazing as expected, the CGI is out of place tho.
Jan 7, 2023 7:46 PM

Dec 2021
I have played the game myself a long time ago and I started playing Nier Replicant the other day so I'm trying to recall the story of Automata. A1 Pictures gave me a bad taste on Persona 5 anime adaptation with the spark only came back with Persona 5 Royal because of the insanely fast pacing and at times badly animated scenes.

I'd be frank to say that an anime only person would struggle to understand what's going on right now like not much has shown on that factory so far as the game did show more even during the prologue along with the fight with the goliath being such a cakewalk here. Even the OP showed the other characters that will only appear much later in the game anyway especially those twins(I know their names but not gonna name them yet but if you play OG Nier or Replicant, or gone through the later parts of Automata you would know them)

This does make me want to play Automata again but I have to take care of my Replicant playthrough first.
Jan 7, 2023 7:53 PM

Feb 2022
They don't explain much of the story when chapter 1 is where it should always have some kind of explanation but I guess it's for more content

The really painful CGI to watch

Of course, the cast of voices and 2D animation is very good

That's why this chapter is an ok
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Jan 7, 2023 7:53 PM

Nov 2015
Looks just like the game.
1:1 adaptation 

HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 7, 2023 7:57 PM
Mar 2022
Absolutely love it, Peak fiction has arrived.
Jan 7, 2023 7:58 PM
Jan 2023
As someone who hasn't played the game, I thought that was a good start. Even the animation looked alright to me. Not sure what y'all are complaining about.

Also, pantsu banzaiiiii
Jan 7, 2023 8:03 PM
Aug 2020
yeah I'll be passing on this for Trigun, as at least that brings something new to the table, plus the cgi is miles better
Jan 7, 2023 8:05 PM

Jan 2011
havent played the games but ive seen some videos on them, liked the music an thought the art an animation were good enough, ill keep watching
Jan 7, 2023 8:12 PM

Jul 2012
Don't think cgi looks that awful, but when 2D and 3D mixes feels so weird ...

Love the ending skit =/
Jan 7, 2023 8:16 PM
Oct 2022
Muy bueno pero no mmes A-1 pictures con el cgi
Jan 7, 2023 8:18 PM
Mar 2018
Impressive, if you ignore the first 10 mins of cg, wasn't even that bad it was mixed pretty well with the 2D animation.
Jan 7, 2023 8:23 PM

Oct 2016
I only watched a little bit of the game but from what I remember the series seems to follow the same plot, and according to the unneeded seemingly promotional but kind of funny puppet show at the end, that's what they are going with, fusing different endings.

The sound effects were fine, the voice acting was good, the soundtrack was amazing, very GitS like, I wonder if it was taken straight from the game. The opening by Aimer was good.

As for the animation...the motions were good, and the 2D animated characters looked beautiful, but the CGI was weak and brought the whole visual department down a bit.

Overall it didn't have much plot but the action and tone were great, and there was some hint at some existential drama to come. Oh and for an A-1 Pictures production it sure didn't have gratuitous and in your face buttshots. I wasn't this possitive about a first episode in a while, I hope it stays that way.
CaptainKenshiroJan 7, 2023 8:27 PM
Jan 7, 2023 8:32 PM

Nov 2022
This was one hell of a long 24 minutes, watching this episode almost felt like a chore than anything else.

Can't compare it to the game because I've never played it, but it was just boring. No explanation for anything, just plain action.
Jan 7, 2023 8:52 PM
Aug 2021
Im just here to say that I never laughted so hard at an ending as the Nier one. The random muppets, with 2B exploding them self, the skipped text box, the rushed credits LMFAO
Jan 7, 2023 8:53 PM
Jan 2021
loved the first ep..i didnt play the game tho
Jan 7, 2023 8:54 PM
Apr 2015
Played the game 5 years back. It was pretty brutal first time playing through the tutorial and that tutorial boss was pretty hard and there is no save point until you reach the bunker. So if you die you need to replay the whole sequence.

Anime wise, feels pretty decent for the first episode so far. I would say the adaptation is pretty accurate to what i remember from the game. 
Didn't went to purposely trigger all the in-game endings, so the post credit skit is quite hilarious and fresh for me.
Soundtrack is good, feels some form of nostalgia from back then.

For anime only, we too received no background info till we ended back in the bunker and the story/plot starts to unfold in the game when you start getting your missions etc. Thus I am not complaining much from what I see so far.
Jan 7, 2023 9:16 PM

Mar 2018
It isn't and will never  be a replacement for the game...the story works best in that medium so this adaptation....At best, it can be enjoyable and another addition used as promotional material...(This is for what I will use it for...)

...And I always thought that if the game gets an adaptation, ufotable would be the best choice given their experience with adapting games and VNs and their specific type of animation that can be very cinematic...+guaranteed quality of production...
...followed by Production I.G. who love their Sci-Fi series , Wit or Mappa.

"The game was better" is real, but this adaptation can be enjoyed for what it is I guess, as much as people are able to....(`~`)_| 
(Those who don't like the visuals or the series for any reason....Just play the game!!)
Jan 7, 2023 9:19 PM
Jan 2021
Nier happens to be my favorite game of all time. it's been my favorite since I played it 6 years ago on release. Upon learning about this anime I was extremely worried that it wouldn't transfer well. One of the reasons Nier is so beloved to me is its replayability and its themes that I can't say would be easy to transfer to a medium where the audience is passive rather than an active driver to the story itself. Part of it's charm is that you play a game and the decisions you make matter- the places and enemies you decide to fight matter. The androids and/or machines you speak with matter. Watching an anime just doesn't have the same interaction as actively playing a video game.

That being said:

I absolutely loved the first episode. I am beyond pleased especially that they kept the same soundtrack and that the story seems to be following both the A and B routes. Listening to 2B say the opening lines again accompanied by her holding 9S was so surreal. I never thought I'd get to see Nier: Automata become relevant again! I'm so happy with the quality so far.

My only complaint is that the CGI is pretty stiff and looks bad when any of the YorHa units are 3D. When she was in her flight units, 2B's hair and clothes didn't have any movement so it almost looks as if they forgot it. The stiffness works well for the machines given their nature but 2B and 9S shouldn't be the same. The whole point of the series is that while they are very different, they are made up of the same junk as we all are. So, seeing as they are more advanced their animation should be a lot more fluid and pleasing to the eye. So far I've only witnessed this issue when they're in their flight units so hopefully it won't be so prominent during the rest of the series that it ruins it. We'll just have to see?

One thing I was very curious about (and still am) is how 9S' hacking would be approached since it's a space invaders style shooter in the game. We didn't see much this episode, but I think we'll see plenty more with the release of more episodes. I'd love to see people's reactions to 9S' hacking style lol.

The puppet show at the end! It was super cute and a fun lil thing to kinda balance all the seriousness of the episode. I hope they keep it for each one.

The last thing I'm thinking about is season length. I'm wondering if since the first episode covered most, if not all, of the prologue of the game, will each episode cover one chapter to complete a 13 episode series? I hope so.
samizitaJan 7, 2023 9:26 PM
Jan 7, 2023 9:39 PM
Apr 2022
9s reminds me of gojo
Jan 7, 2023 9:41 PM

Jul 2017
TsushimaMartin said:
They don't explain much of the story when chapter 1 is where it should always have some kind of explanation but I guess it's for more content

The really painful CGI to watch

Of course, the cast of voices and 2D animation is very good

That's why this chapter is an ok
A bit of the explanations should hopefully be there in the next episode. This portion was intentionally vague in some areas, creating more mystery to its tones and felt more like a way to throw the player of the game into an instant chaotic battle with high stakes instantly for the prologue/tutorial. So yeah, more should be elaborated in the next episode to some degree, so no need to worry about that.
Jan 7, 2023 10:18 PM
Sep 2012
What wrong with this cgi? A1 Picture you disappointed me. REEEE
Jan 7, 2023 10:35 PM

Sep 2020
One of the most unique anime I have seen in a long time.
Jan 7, 2023 11:11 PM
Jul 2018
i HAVEN'T played any of the games, so i will judge the elements of this episode BY ITSELF.

Animation? pretty mixed
2D is amazing, and very fluid
CGI/3d? not so much, there are a lot of clunky and janky moments with the CGI. 

The story is a simple introduction about the characters
2B and 9S are likeable, and they have a nice chemistry with each other.

the mech/sword/gun/all of that action is just great, but the CGI can reduce the quality a bit. 

Jan 7, 2023 11:40 PM
Apr 2020
I’ve played the game and it is one of my favorite games of all time. But I’m sadly disappointed. They just copied most of the camera angles of the game. Sometimes it’s semana ok, but the majority didn’t make sense for the scene. The CGI is bad and the animation of the robots are just to poor compared to the androids. I hope it will get better. The first ep was a 4/10 for me.
Jan 7, 2023 11:45 PM

Feb 2013
That was so good...................................
Jan 7, 2023 11:53 PM

Jul 2021
the moment the episode began, my first thought was Mikasa is that you? so i went and checked the seiyuu for both and they were same. nice. tis voice does suit her though.

2B looks great. total babe as expected. fanarts are gonna get crazy again and i'm looking forrward to those XD.

and let's not talk about the CGI, i think we all have same opinions on that.

had no idea that they were androids and not people until now.

story wise this didn't go anywhere. just a slight introduction of 2B and her her great bod.

i'm hoping to see some great story and wouldn't mind some fan-service either.

aimer's OP perfectly suits the atmosphere of this anime and it's pretty good as well.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 8, 2023 12:07 AM

Dec 2019
This was actually really good! I'm always somewhat sceptical of video game adaptations but this felt like it was done with a lot of care for the original
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

19 by RegexShinobi »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

112 by SettyLove »»
May 16, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM

» Should I play Nier replicant too before starting series?

Otaku_guru - Feb 11

7 by Otaku_guru »»
Feb 14, 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.