Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2023 2:48 PM

Feb 2010
As someone who didn't beat the game I'm going to give this show a chance, 2B and 9S seem likable enough but I'm not feeling the mech designs...hopefully the story picks up soon.
Jan 7, 2023 2:53 PM

May 2018
The CG is actually quite good. Aimer is based as usual
Jan 7, 2023 2:59 PM

Jan 2017
I hope there's romance with 2B and 9S... Apart from that, I can only imagine what it would be like if Ufotable were animating this work!

C.C, Saber and Rem The Best Waifus ❤️😍...
Jan 7, 2023 3:00 PM

Jun 2017
I haven't played the games but I liked this so far...it's too bad they are probably gonna die every episode. (likely) lol
Jan 7, 2023 3:06 PM

Jul 2020
Didn't enjoy this that much whatsoever.

Outside of the pretty bland animation & direction across the board, the show doesn't establish a single thing that makes me want to care. It's nothing but 2B and 9S fighting robots for 22 minutes straight. 2B and 9S develop a relationship and it feels...so forced? This episode is also haphazard as fuck, constantly zipping from one scene to another with no rhyme or reason. 

Idk man, I haven't played NieR: Automata yet but even then the flaws in this premiere are very glaring even without experiencing the story.

I'll still stick around to see if it will get better, hopefully it does.
Jan 7, 2023 3:10 PM
Mar 2017
The animation is subpar, and if you have already played the game you won't see anything new. The first episode is the first tutorial mission of the game, nothing new or different. Bored already.
Jan 7, 2023 3:13 PM

Apr 2012
BORING for those who never played the game. OP by Aimer is one good thing about this anime.
To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Jan 7, 2023 3:14 PM
Mar 2018
Decent start. The anime will just get better as the story goes.
Jan 7, 2023 3:24 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
whoever did the subtitles failed miserably at the end when they didn't write

Jan 7, 2023 3:24 PM
Jan 2021
I'm a bit disappointed that it's just following the game's storyline.
Jan 7, 2023 3:26 PM
Oct 2015
wtf was that? soulless is an understatement
byKaznaJan 7, 2023 3:39 PM
Jan 7, 2023 3:28 PM
Oct 2021
animation looked really "off" I hope the next couple of episodes redeem themself but if you are just stared greeting into Nier:Automata definitely play the game for a much better experience
Jan 7, 2023 3:29 PM
Nov 2017
Just as awesome as the game and this was only the beginning
Jan 7, 2023 3:29 PM

Oct 2015
A friend of mine is completely in love with the game of Nier, so when the anime was announced I decided to give it a go when it was aired. I gotta say that for me, someone who have never played a NieR game, the beginning of the anime is certainly confusing. I'm able to grasp the main idea but there are so many questions still with no answer or a clue to what it might be happening. However, it would not be fair to judge the anime just with the impressions of the very start.
In terms of visuals, the mixture of two different types of animation is quite accurate and I appreciate the effort to make it appealing. Related to the music, I was so shocked when I discover that the opening was interpreted by Aimer!!! An amazing opening accompained with a good bso. 
I will keep watching the next episodes to try to understand more about the story and what is going on in general. 

Jan 7, 2023 3:30 PM
Dec 2013
If the original ost is there, I don't need anything else.

So yeah, the animation, design, lighting, shading could be better, but very decent nonetheless. It does the job I guess. Would have loved to see Ufotable on this.

Depending on how it's done, chances are this will be very good for those who haven't played the game, although it's better to play it.

Hope it will follow the narrative of the game, 26 eps old school, or more, no prob.

Jan 7, 2023 3:31 PM

Jun 2013
OMG THEY SHOWED

IN THE OPENING, IM SO EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDD

*Inhale*

Very, very good start. Almost 1:1 with the "prologue" of the game and I don't really mind the CGI at all. For me, NieR series is all about the story and the characters.

I can already see NieR Replicant getting an adaptation as well. My heart can't take this.

And for all the anime only ppl...

GET READY TO CRY 
Jan 7, 2023 3:33 PM
Apr 2019
Adapted the tutorial section of the game really well although skipping some little pieces of info,the credits are an extremely funny way to show off the joke endings
Jan 7, 2023 3:34 PM
Feb 2016
Me encanto el capitulo

Jan 7, 2023 3:47 PM

Nov 2017
Having played the game, I've been waiting for it for a while! Result: it's an excellent episode as I had imagined! It's a masterclass! The 2D/CGI mix is super neat, just as hearing the game's emblematic OSTs makes me extremely happy! I also love the opening sung by Aimer! 
Jan 7, 2023 3:49 PM
May 2021
Very reminiscent of the game and both serious and tongue in cheek at the same time!
Jan 7, 2023 3:52 PM

Nov 2020
that cgi was HORRENDOUS but the animation otherwise was really good
Jan 7, 2023 3:53 PM
Feb 2017
high hopes for this one, It's looking good so far a very nice 1st episode it seems they will be adapting the full story of the game with some additional content possibly coming as well
Jan 7, 2023 3:54 PM

Nov 2020
Pollyvx said:
I don't understand how you people like it, when the game made you feel like you're playing an Anime this show feels like watching these no commentary youtube gameplays.
It adds nothing and is very poorly animated.
Poorly animated are you serious??? If your talking about the cgi I agree but the scenes where its purely animation are incredible
Jan 7, 2023 4:00 PM

Dec 2014
Meng what a strong first episode, loved it, and 2B and Nines explaining the game's endings in the ending lmao, very nice. Looking forward to this.
Jan 7, 2023 4:04 PM
Jun 2016
2B hyle trains chu chuuuu let's gooooo
I was in love with the game anime looks really promising
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2023 4:10 PM
Apr 2015
Cheggeronis said:
Pollyvx said:
I don't understand how you people like it, when the game made you feel like you're playing an Anime this show feels like watching these no commentary youtube gameplays.
It adds nothing and is very poorly animated.
Poorly animated are you serious??? If your talking about the cgi I agree but the scenes where its purely animation are incredible
I am serious, another cashgrab by square enix.
Jan 7, 2023 4:14 PM
Jan 2018
A very good first episode.  I like the opening with a black and white style, it's really cool.  2B hand-drawn version is so beautiful.

Jan 7, 2023 4:20 PM

Feb 2018
An alright first episode I guess.
As I've played the game I'm really wondering how they're going to go about adapting this.
Jan 7, 2023 4:26 PM
Feb 2020
pretty good though some of it felt like a model of the plane in front of a green screen
Jan 7, 2023 4:27 PM
Jun 2017
this CG looks like the out of bounds areas in Dark Souls 2 https://i.imgur.com/kIFej45.png
Jan 7, 2023 4:35 PM
Jun 2017
Great episode. I really like how they blend CG with 2D. Don't matter how people trash on it, I love this adaptation
Jan 7, 2023 4:52 PM

Feb 2020
I have kinda mixed feelings about this first episode and everything that is coming. The animation or better said the CGI robots and machines look cheap. During the sword fighting part it looked a bit better, but unfortunately there were very little frames. Apart from the "not very pleasant to watch"-animation, the story seemed interesting. I never played the game or watched anything regarding it, therefore I am kinda hoping for a good story so that it makes the bad animations bearable to watch.
My candies:
Jan 7, 2023 4:54 PM
Aug 2020
It seems this anime is going to adapt some parts of the game while branching off into it's own thing at certain points and I love that. I've seen complaints about the CGI but in motion, it looks great, and it has a sort of artistic filter to it that makes it feel more in-place. The 2D animation is very pretty, and the voice acting is perfect. Can't wait to see more!
Jan 7, 2023 4:55 PM
Dec 2017
Pretty solid episode, can see people begin to get ready to complain about the CG effects, but that puppet show at the end as an info dump segment has Yoko Taro written all over it and you CAN'T tell me otherwise! lol
Jan 7, 2023 4:56 PM

Apr 2022
haven't played the game but i've still been looking forward to this for a very long time and i'm not disappointed. love the atmosphere of the show and every bit of 2B screentime. can't help but hear mikasa when 2B speaks tho.

the animation in the trailer made me a bit sceptical but it looked better in the show, not the best CG i've seen but not terrible either.
Jan 7, 2023 5:02 PM

Nov 2018
Dramsonen said:
caliburn1337 said:
As someone who played the game:
PROS
- OST is amazing, you can't go wrong with the game OST;
- Voice Acting is also amazing as always;
- Artwork is pretty good;
- Environment was beautiful;
- Good fight choreography for the most part;
- Great mixing of Route A and B as of now.
- 9S(my favourite character lmao);

CONS
- CGI was terrible, like really bad(they even reused models from the game);
- Adding to the CGI, they didn't even bother drawing 9S and 2B on some parts when they were on the mechas, looking very unnatural and lazy;
- Pacing is a bit too fast, some things were confusing, and the ending of the prologue wasn't as impactful as it was in the game;
- Something not as important, but 2B's face shouldn't have been shown on the first episode, that's a reveal that happens only in the end of Route A.

Final Rating
7.5/10
Hoping they slow down a bit, and don't abuse the CGI as much.

2B's face was shown in the game too, after getting done with settings she lays in bed without her eye cover.
Guess I didn't remember that then, mb

SEIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jan 7, 2023 5:12 PM
Sep 2020
Great story, great music, great characters. But this CGI hurts the eyes
Jan 7, 2023 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
I liked it, but I’d probably be very confused rn if I hadn’t played the game.
Jan 7, 2023 5:17 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Wow, it really is like playing the game but without playing the actual game. We see 2B performing an aerial combo, and they even include the acrobatic twirl she does when reaching the top of a ladder.

The real question is, will we get to see 2B self destruct? In the meantime, there looks to be a number of freeze frames in which we can enjoy the view. Maybe A-1 will do us a solid and show us more 2B climbing ladders with certain angles.  

I also wonder if they'll show any of the achievement endings, particularly ending K... and ending T for the big brainers who don't know how computers work lol

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 7, 2023 5:23 PM
Feb 2009
I'm pretty surprised at this topic. People are going "omg its 1:1 adaptation" and its like ??? there's already a major change in this episode alone if my memory from 5.5 years ago is functionining

It could end up "being nothing" but it seems kind of wild to change if it doesnt continue to compound and eventually lead to something. It is called 1.1a after all, some notable changes are going to happen I'm sure.

Anyway as for the rest the CG in-suit model of the body does look garbage but otherwise its honestly fine, the actual flying around and fighting the suits do is like a 6/10 for anime anyone thinking its horrendous or worst they've ever seen is nuts. It's also barely used, the scene at the start is like the most of those CG flight suits we'll see for another 8 episodes.

And for the pacing again idk what people really want here, this entire section of the game is like less than 40 minutes long and they turned it into a 20 ep of anime by cutting out her just running through the actual stage and fighting the level 1 bots which you at least get one very well animated scene of at the start. I'm not really sure what more you wanted unless you turn all that into another minute or two of sword fighting scenes that wouldn't really add anything either.
Jan 7, 2023 5:32 PM
Personified

Sep 2022
Never played the game. Only really added this cause my friend really likes the game so I have no expectations for this but so far it looks pretty good. The puppet show at the end was nice aswell lol

Jan 7, 2023 5:36 PM
Oct 2021
The episode was confusing and the pacing seemed really fast.
Cgi looked ok, the fight scenes were good. 6/10
Jan 7, 2023 5:40 PM
Nov 2016
I played all 5 endings and that's my opinion about this episode

I think it was a great first episode, there are a lot of people crying, but the CGI isn't horrible like people are complaining about (the same thing happened to Chainsaw Man) , I agree that it's bad at the first 5 minutes of the episode I guess, but the others CGI animations and models are actually good (like Goliath and machine lifeforms), the only REALLY bad models are the flight units which I think could be better if they added more texture to it, good thing that we probably won't see the flight units that much since it's not very common in the game, so its models isn't a thing to bother that much. Also, I think they could make the Goliath boss fight a little bit longer because (at least for me) it didn't pass the difficult and impact it had in the game.

Despite these points, the 2D animation is very good, they kept the game OST and adapted the tutorial of the game very well in this first episode. I guess the series is gonna be 24/26 episodes, so for now, I think it's definitely worth to give it a try and see how it goes.
Jan 7, 2023 5:41 PM
Jan 2023
WOW it was very good, after 6min in it totally got me already and the ending was very cute
Jan 7, 2023 5:43 PM
May 2021
It was perfect. Perfect. Everything, down to the last minute details.
Jan 7, 2023 5:47 PM
Apr 2020
peak NieR had to get ending U deb[U]nked
Jan 7, 2023 5:48 PM

Mar 2020
Let's address the CGI elephant in the room first. Yes, it doesn't look good, and the bottom line is, A-1 most definitely needed more time, and their production schedule has caught up to them. While I haven't played the NieR games myself, this didn't really feel like I was watching an anime, but playing a tutorial for a game that wants to look good, but fell short of doing so, and perhaps this episode adapted a tutorial? (People who played the game, help me out here)

Hard to know how to feel about this so far, because I didn't particularly enjoy this first episode, even though it definitely piqued my interest at the end. I've heard great things about the story though, so the story needs to carry, and carry hard.
Jan 7, 2023 5:50 PM
Aug 2018
The 2D animated segments were amazing but could not compensate for the horrible 3D animated segments.
Jan 7, 2023 5:53 PM

Feb 2020
Eh, I mean it's aight for now. CG is not intolerable and 2d shots looked nice. I know nothing about this series though, so I don't know how to feel about it, but I'll give this a few more watches before I decide to drop or complete it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2023 5:55 PM
Sep 2018
Ok so never played the game like ever but this seems to be a good action anime, even the 2D and 3D art look pretty decent together! Also the ending with them being puppets is just so random, never expected it xD
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

19 by RegexShinobi »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

112 by SettyLove »»
May 16, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM

» Should I play Nier replicant too before starting series?

Otaku_guru - Feb 11

7 by Otaku_guru »»
Feb 14, 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.