Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Dec 17, 2019 2:02 PM
May 2019
Byniavo said:
Bibimbapski said:
This is my favorite episode so far. Askeledd is just an amazingly well-written character. I was waiting for his backstory to be fleshed out in the Anime. It is my favorite part in the manga too. This is one of the reasons why I love this series and Askeladd is the best character in this series. Despite Thorfinn being the MC, Askeladd stole the show. Even reactors on YouTube love him. Thorfinn will shine later one after this first season is over.

I'm so heartbroken that there are only two more episodes left. Who knows how long we'll have to wait for a second season announcement, let alone the actual production and release.

Considering how astonishingly low the predicted blu-ray sales will be, I doubt there will be any further anime content on Vinland Saga, period.

the industry has changed, dr stone sold poorly as well but got a season 2

and actually, there's rumours from reputable sources like https://twitter.com/Spytrue/status/1206630227612491778

hope is not lost at all, I predict s2
Waschmaschine369Dec 17, 2019 2:05 PM
Dec 17, 2019 3:05 PM

Apr 2011
Thorfinn should have saved himself the gassle and killed Askelaad in his sleep like Askeladd did his father.
Dec 17, 2019 3:13 PM
May 2019
IKKIsama said:
Thorfinn should have saved himself the gassle and killed Askelaad in his sleep like Askeladd did his father.

askeladd was awake, he expected it because that's the exact same way he killed his own father.

that's how he became 100% sure thorfinn is a dumbass who will only want to kill him in a honourable duel, slave masterery +99.
Dec 17, 2019 5:56 PM
Nov 2017
Byniavo said:
Bibimbapski said:
This is my favorite episode so far. Askeledd is just an amazingly well-written character. I was waiting for his backstory to be fleshed out in the Anime. It is my favorite part in the manga too. This is one of the reasons why I love this series and Askeladd is the best character in this series. Despite Thorfinn being the MC, Askeladd stole the show. Even reactors on YouTube love him. Thorfinn will shine later one after this first season is over.

I'm so heartbroken that there are only two more episodes left. Who knows how long we'll have to wait for a second season announcement, let alone the actual production and release.

Considering how astonishingly low the predicted blu-ray sales will be, I doubt there will be any further anime content on Vinland Saga, period.

No, I'm really sure S2 is more likely, considering it's Amazon Prime. They really want to taking over Netflix and the other competitor, and knowing Vinland is from Amazon Prime, I'm really sure WIT didn't really cares about Japanese audience, but they focused more on worldwide instead. So far, what I know is Vinland really deserve the attention from worldwide and even some of them got Amazon Prime just to watch Vinland Saga.
Dec 17, 2019 7:30 PM

Feb 2019
Damn, that was amazing. Askeladd's backstory is just... I'm at a loss for words to describe it. Simply phenomenal.
Dec 17, 2019 9:12 PM

Jul 2016
Such a fantastic episode. It really took its time but I'm finally appreciating and understanding the huge love people have for Askeladd as a character. Absolutely loved the narrative of the events which lead him to plan his father's assassination.

The only "negative" point of the episode would be Thorfinn acting like a dumbass (once again) but at least, it seems he finally understood the fact that he has been acting as Askeladd's dog this whole time. Now, the thing is whether we will see some development for him in these remaining two episodes.
Dec 17, 2019 9:37 PM

Aug 2017
We get a glimpse of Askeladds past and how his father murdered his mother. He built up all that anger and had nothing but revenge for 2 years before killing him. Covered in ashes suits him perfectly.

He treated Thorfinn like a dog and just beat him down. Great episode.
Dec 17, 2019 10:31 PM

Mar 2016
Finally a fucking character-break from the cringe inducing edge lord himself.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Dec 17, 2019 11:34 PM

Nov 2017
Love how this anime makes fun of anime mc stereotypes.
Dec 18, 2019 3:18 AM

Aug 2016
The Best episode of Vinland so far.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge | "More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego." Albert Einstein
My ratings:
Dec 18, 2019 3:50 AM

May 2018
mohrip said:
Byniavo said:

No, I'm really sure S2 is more likely, considering it's Amazon Prime. They really want to taking over Netflix and the other competitor, and knowing Vinland is from Amazon Prime, I'm really sure WIT didn't really cares about Japanese audience, but they focused more on worldwide instead. So far, what I know is Vinland really deserve the attention from worldwide and even some of them got Amazon Prime just to watch Vinland Saga.

let's hope and pray that Vinland gets a season 2 then!
Dec 18, 2019 3:52 AM

Nov 2019
Preview for episode 23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS_x5UYehYA

Seems like there'll be even more anime original scenes in the next episode. Hopefully it will work well.
Dec 18, 2019 11:13 AM
Jul 2019
I can't get bored of praising this anime. Holy shite !! This was just brilliant. Every episode of it is brilliant.
Dec 18, 2019 1:10 PM

Mar 2017
Ah man, that was a really heavy episode and even though i spent 3 days prepping myself emotionally for it, it still hit me straight in the feels! Askeladd had a shitty life but i'm happy that he got his revenge.

Hopefully, after hearing some harsh truths and reflecting on his own life, Thorfinn might actually learn something from Askeladd this time!
Dec 18, 2019 8:05 PM

Jul 2014
Powerful scene at the end. Thorfinn reminiscing everything but the life before revenge hinting that he might forgot the life before. Adaptation is fire AF.
"I only studied a little bit of history and I have learned there are two current thoughts in human history. The opinion that there are things worth more than human life and the opinion that there is nothing preferable to life. When the war begins, it is on the pretext of the former type of people and it justify the latter when the war ends"
Dec 20, 2019 4:44 AM

Jun 2015
I like how Askeladd tells him the reason he's losing (because of his temper), and later on this becomes very relevant as
uh oh!
Dec 20, 2019 7:19 AM

Feb 2012
This series has been top notch all the way through. I can’t believe how good it’s gotten in this last half. I was loving it before but it’s really started to become a favourite. Episode 18 was the best episode for me but the music direction is flawless and just makes everything about this anime amazing.

Anime producers, take note. Music is just as important, if not more so than good animation. One of the biggest reasons boruto and black clover suck is because they have a shit OST. Boruto recently had an arc where he goes back in time to the old nature series and the music was all switched to the original music. I think everyone agrees that those episodes were the best in the series so far.

It’s sound direction that makes or breaks a good anime and WIT has shown that they’re the best in town. Can’t wait to see more from them in the future.
Dec 20, 2019 3:51 PM

Apr 2013
Askeladd best waifu of the season?
Dec 20, 2019 9:00 PM

Jun 2015
Very strong episode. It's nice to see more about the backstory of Askeladd. He is honestly a much more interesting character than thorfinn.

Dec 20, 2019 10:03 PM
Aug 2015
mohrip said:
Byniavo said:

I certainly hope so. It has a very high score on Amazon so hopefully that also means it is attracting enough views for a season 2. Feels like the episodes keep getting better and all the world building/character development is REALLY paying off.
Dec 21, 2019 3:26 AM

Jun 2013
mohrip said:
Byniavo said:

This gives me a lot of hope. I'm seeing sequels from series like Bananya so I'm almost a hundred percent Vinland Saga will get one.

Also, someone said Dr. Stone did poorly but still got a second season announced in 2020.
臭い-
Dec 21, 2019 8:47 AM
Nov 2017
Jeetsingh89 said:
This episode solidified Askeladd as one of the greatest antagonists in anime ... he was always one of the best in the manga .... can't wait to see people's reaction after they watch the last episode .. people are gonna lose their shit

Lose their shit in a good way or bad way?
Dec 21, 2019 8:48 AM
Nov 2017
Yeah okay Askeladd is so badass and overall a really great episode with loads of background and I bet a lot of people (Including me) were curious about his past.
I get why he's one of the main characters now, he's amazing.. I admire him
Dec 21, 2019 11:10 AM
Dec 2019
Agamenon said:
Very strong episode. It's nice to see more about the backstory of Askeladd. He is honestly a much more interesting character than thorfinn.

After binging this show the last couple of days, I would even consider Askeladd the main character of this arc. He certainly does most of the heavy lifting and Thorfinn is just a bland one note character that gets some nice fight scenes. Even prince Canute has a more important presence than Thorfinn.

Askeladd has done some really messed up shit, but the show does a really good job of building empathy for him, with the highlight being this episode.
Dec 21, 2019 8:51 PM

Apr 2018
Nice seeing Askeladd's backstory. He's story is sort of similar to Thorfinn's
Dec 22, 2019 3:28 PM

Jan 2014
I just had to login to comment about this episode. It feels like it has been so long since I've been moved by an episode like this. Everything from the simplicity of the fight to the music to the tones and shading was brilliant. Kudos.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 22, 2019 7:03 PM
Sep 2018
Thorfinn could not get stuck in a stupid revenge like Askeladd. That's it, Thorfinn is not stupid. Just his pedigree.

But Askeladd's hatred is deeper than Thorfin. If hatred wins, it becomes just a beast.
Not only shouting beasts, but also quiet and cunning beasts. I don't know which is farther from humans.
Ichigen-sanDec 22, 2019 7:18 PM
Dec 24, 2019 4:43 PM
Jul 2013
Absolutely amazing.
How does it still keep getting better?
AOTY hands down, don't even question it.
Dec 25, 2019 10:08 AM

Dec 2015
Askeladd hit the nail right on the head. Thorfinn is just an idiot.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 25, 2019 6:16 PM

Aug 2015
It was finally nice to see Askeladd's past in detail. Poor Thorfinn, it was very hard seeing him in the condition he's currently in. Looks like we are getting to the climax soon.
Dec 28, 2019 10:24 PM

Aug 2017
Askeladd's backstory? Yeahhhh. He's one of the best characters written in recent years.

5/5

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 29, 2019 5:05 PM
Feb 2018
Phenomenal episode. Great backstory. Really liked the part where askeladd like his father. Great scene. That episode went by super fast.
Dec 30, 2019 12:00 PM

Aug 2016
O oo oh, are we gonna get some character development for Thorfinn finally?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2019 12:33 PM
Nov 2018
Woow..this episode was perfect!👍
Dec 31, 2019 3:41 AM

Jul 2013
As much as I hate Askellad I have to admit that I also kinda respect the guy. He knows what he wants, he knows what he needs to do to do it, and he does it. He's quick-witted, clever, and manipulative. Whileas Thorfinn can't be more basic as ever. Boring even.
Dec 31, 2019 3:28 PM

Dec 2018
Askeladd really owned that kid!! Impressive to see that he easily beat him without a weapon!! But not surprised he know the kid to well and the way he fights

Love to see the backstory! And how cunning Askeladd is!!

Jan 2, 2020 8:23 PM

Oct 2008
LOL Thorfinn's so miserable! and almost beyond broken!
we get to see the truth of Askeladd past!
5/5!

Jan 4, 2020 7:24 AM

Jun 2017
Damn, what an episode, the tension was just at an all time high. Askeladd really destroyed Thorfinn on this one, both on the physical and emotional aspect. Askeladd has got to be one of the best (if not already the BEST) character in this anime.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jan 4, 2020 10:00 PM

Sep 2008
while everyone gushes over Askeladd, I always loved Thorfinn as a character more. The trauma of losing his father and his obsession over revenge, and the futility of his life's quest is something that resonates with me (as someone who has lost a huge chunk of his life on futile life goals).
This is the turning point for Thorfinn's character. And the season's end (if I think where it ends) is going to be very important for Thorfinn's character.
Always wanted to hug the poor boy, far from home, from his mother and sister...lost in his quest to avenge his father's murder, a quest that his father would never have approved of. 'Slave to his past and his pride'.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 6, 2020 7:36 AM

Dec 2018
Askeladd......that's it, just Askeladd.

Anyway, the half-brother that got hanged looked young because of the body proportions.....jeez.

Thorfinn remembering all his child-like rage-induced past and not remembering any of the good times and welling up with emotions knowing he wasted his life made me shed a tear.

Wit Studio and Shuhei Yabuta, keep being the mad lads you are.
Jan 8, 2020 7:11 PM

Mar 2019
Best episode so far! just love a good older character as layered as Askeladd, so many anime focus on teenagers and well, im not one anymore.
Jan 11, 2020 10:27 PM

Mar 2015
More or less a thorough look into Askeladd's past.. totally fleshed out now, I like him much more than when he was just a pirate killing Thors!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 17, 2020 7:15 PM

Aug 2010
Just when I thought I saw the best episode this show continues to amaze me with another episode for contender of "Best episode".
Jan 21, 2020 2:48 PM

Nov 2012
Ask a lad's past was cool, and he's right Thorfinn is so stupid when it comes to him, ask a lad is even trying to help him by making him realise. I really hope Thorfinn will wake up to this soon, that line that he must thank Thors for how helpful his son has been, it seemed like that at least really got to him.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Mar 12, 2020 2:21 PM

Apr 2016
Yeah, Thorfinn is pretty straight-laced. His bad habit of jumping into battle without a strategy yields absolutely no results. I feel like Askeladd's reason for killing his father and carrying out a plan of vengeance is rational to some extent. He deserves sympathy, but he's still way too damn heartless towards Thorfinn.

Pretty good episode overall.
Mar 23, 2020 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
Thorfinn flashing back memories from the time his father was killed 'til now, it finally hits some little sense in him that he hasn't gone very far since then. I don't know the idiom for it on english but in our country we call it "patting in one place".
No development, just raging like a bull, containing solely hatred.

I still don't dislike Thorfinn after all. He's just lost. He hasn't found his way yet.
Mar 25, 2020 12:44 PM

Mar 2019
What were Thorfinn's sounds??I swear,I just love Askeladd.He is teaching everybody.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 19, 2020 2:26 PM

Oct 2012
Annoying Thorfinn gets beaten up again, couldn't enjoy this more. Plus really nice Askeladd backstory, good episode.
May 7, 2020 9:38 AM

Jan 2019
Glad Askeladd finally said it- Thorfinn is an idiot.

But I don't think he would've said all that and told us his backstory if he didn't care about Thorfinn a bit- even if just in spite of himself.
May 11, 2020 1:49 AM

May 2016
Seeing Askellad act all serious and tired of all those one-sided duels definitely threw Thorfinn off his game but that's definitely not the only reason why he had lost yet another fight against him.

Askeladd's story was masterfully done! He's such a complex character that you can't just outright hate him for killing Thors and being as brutal as he is but you can't really say that he's a good guy either despite his reasons for being so cruel. As someone who has actually fulfilled his revenge against the one person he hated the most in such an early age, it was very considerate of him to advise Thorfinn on how to improve both as a fighter and an individual by telling him about his past and even call him out for his one-track mentality that's been holding him back for years.

Thorfinn got confronted with the tough reality of his situation and it's now up to him to decide how things will go for him from now on since he's finally realized how ineffective the way he's been approaching his problems is at this point. I hope he'll take this as a chance to improve himself.

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.