Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
May 3, 2017 3:06 PM

Nov 2016
Great mystery episode.
I got the feeling the visuals were even more stunning than usual, although I think that this episode should't be watched by people with Epilepsy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 16, 2017 9:55 AM

Sep 2016
The only reason I still watching monogatari coz shinobu n mayoi,baf!
Aug 17, 2017 4:26 AM

Feb 2014
I thought I was going crazy. I had watched 7 episodes which is the first arc but only 6 episodes were listed here. Now I see episode 1 and 2 are actually just episode 1 here.
Sep 5, 2017 3:37 AM

Jan 2014
That was weird, even by Monogatari standards.
I never give a Monogatari show more than 7, but still it always manages to keep me hooked to see more, I literally binged from Monogatari 2nd season to here.

This was really quite... geometric.
And Ougi... man, Ougi. She's so mysterious.
Sep 12, 2017 4:50 AM

May 2014
Wow. That went really, really fast. Definitely much different than a majority of the other arcs in the Monogatari series, especially since we actually learn more about Araragi's mindset and his initial cynicism towards human relationships.

Ougi creeps me the hell out. She knows all this weird stuff and right until the last moment forces Araragi to acknowledge his own feelings/train of thought. I'm pretty sure she's an apparition formed out of his feelings of inadequacy or something.

Also, we got introduced to a new girl...a new girl who doesn't like Araragi??
What is this blasphemy?!!! :O

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2017 9:26 AM

Jan 2017
So i was pretty much about to drop it so many times during the first half, but thank cod i didn't, last part was really interesting.

Also, i really dislike Ougi, she annoys me, i just want her to shut up. Besides, it amazes me how NO ONE questions her when it comes to how she knows private stuff.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Nov 2, 2017 5:12 AM

Jun 2016
Fuck. That was a great start. Nisio-sensei does it again with his dialogues. As always, he didn't disappoint.

Ougi, I love you. <3

So, it was Kanbaru who introduced Ougi to Araragi. Aww. Ougi hiding herself behind that door. So so so cuuuute. ;-;

Ougi and Araragi is trying to figure out the mystery of the classroom which was apparently is like the representation of Araragi's classroom 2 years ago where a class assembly was held to figure out who's the culprit in their class for obtaining the Math exam questions from the teachers' office. Aaand Hitagi was there and her long hair... I miss her long hair so much. ;-;

Alright, Oikura which was their class representative or president or whatever was blamed for it after a majority vote which she herself asked for and that Oikura was the only person who raised her hand to vote for Araragi that he was the culprit, but the whole class raised their hands that yeah Oikura was the culprit and even their fucking Math teacher raised her hand like wtf are you doing there in the first place?

After that incident, Oikura stopped going to school, and was home-schooled and 2 years later, and after Araragi and Ougi solved it, Oikura decided to come to school again. Also the time when their Math teacher who was the culprit is in Maternity Leave.

Coincidence? I think NOT. Haha.

HISASHIBURI, MINNA! Hello, long-haired Hitagi. Hello, Hanekawa not wearing glasses. Hello, Araragi being a hottie again I hate you so much! Hahaha.
TheDoggoneGirlNov 2, 2017 5:15 AM

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 8, 2018 11:57 AM

Sep 2012
first ep was quite long, its rare to see anime with first ep with 45min long
Jan 16, 2018 10:28 PM
Jan 2018
I dont know whats the hype about,i dont see why this has high reviews.Is it because its rated 17+ also most viewers half of the time dont understand it.Dropped at first episode,too much constant flashing of the ougi formula.
Jan 17, 2018 1:44 AM

May 2010
HonestReviews00 said:
I dont know whats the hype about,i dont see why this has high reviews.Is it because its rated 17+ also most viewers half of the time dont understand it.Dropped at first episode,too much constant flashing of the ougi formula.

Um, have you seen any previous series? It's a sequel, so of course it's gonna have higher ratings, because normally only fans of the original series would watch it :v
May 7, 2018 3:41 PM

Aug 2015
I always love a good mystery. I'm really interested now!
May 26, 2018 1:08 AM

May 2018
This is a great start, feels like im watching a short movie. And again we have confusing episode.

5/5

Sep 18, 2018 2:43 AM

May 2018
Great start to the season with this 1 hour special. Ougi is so frightening, but so cute at the same time, I loved the dialogue between the two. Ougi even overshadowed Senjougahara in the end lol.

5/5
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Sep 18, 2018 9:04 AM

Sep 2014
this was slightly unsettling to watch. Its not that Ougi is that creepy, but so weird in combination with arararagi not giving a fuck about it
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 5, 2019 12:00 PM

Sep 2018
I am hyped with this dupstep intro :O
Apr 11, 2019 9:25 PM

Dec 2016
I don't know why it took me so long to keep watching such a god tier series
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 30, 2019 7:01 PM
Apr 2016
Wow. That was really great! I was surprised by the depth of this episode. The next episode should be really good! Also yay, a 40 minute episode!
May 23, 2019 4:43 AM

Dec 2018
So the first time Araragi met Ougi was when he was already in 12th grade and when the Kanbaru's devil arm has been resolved.

Euler held the class assembly on her own to find the culprit only to be chosen as the culprit by the majority rule which the method she suggested herself. Serves her right for blaming Araragi for no reason but hatred.

When Tsubasa said 'extra seat' I suddenly remembered of "Another". Lol.

So Chronologically speaking Owarimonogatari's timeline was before Tsukimonogatari and Hanamonogatari. And possibly before the snake god arc.

Wait, so Kanbaru didn't smell something fishy that later in Hanamonogatari that Ougi was now a boy ? Talk about a monkey brain.

Comander-07 said:
this was slightly unsettling to watch. Its not that Ougi is that creepy, but so weird in combination with arararagi not giving a fuck about it

Agreed. Though in my case it's not creepy, but knowing all sort of things about Araragi.
Kish0May 23, 2019 9:08 AM
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Aug 15, 2019 3:07 AM

May 2015
This is actually separated into 2 episodes in the BD release.

Ougi still gives me the creeps.
Also, I thought I would be seeing college Araragi now.
How the fuck are we back in school?
Between which arcs is this supposed to fit?
Aug 31, 2019 10:11 PM

Sep 2014
Wew the Japanese education system is very different
Strange that they'd consider that cheating, that is actually what basically all the classes in my country did back when I was in school, studying the questions on the test isn't really cheating unless you take the study guide into the test with you and you're looking at it while taking the test.

HonestReviews00 said:

My friend, it's a sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel
You started with, like, the 5th season of a series
Try it from the beginning, I think you'll like it more that way
Sep 20, 2019 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
Holy fucking shit! By the end I felt like I was almost drowning.

Can't believe I waited this long to start watching the series again. It's as beautiful as I remember.
Oct 26, 2019 5:05 PM
Jun 2015
As I've watched throught the monogari series, this episode really started off this 'Kizu' chapter with a heavy hand, 'perhaps someone like that would be a fitting final boss. - oh, what I said? That was nothing...'
Nov 10, 2019 12:38 AM

Jun 2017
The OP was good, I like it. The episode was confusing at first but then everything was clear in the second half, Vofan's art of Sodachi is great.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Feb 1, 2020 7:56 PM

Oct 2019
I can really say that this is one of the best episodes because of Ougi...the OP was very good too
Feb 3, 2020 5:05 PM

Sep 2019
why did hanekawa not let the araragi enter the room at the end? made me want to kick her shin
Apr 12, 2020 1:32 PM
Jun 2015
A great hour special...the whole time I was so into the episode. Loved the mystery and how it affected Araragi. Never thought the culprit will be a teacher, and on top blaming a student for that. No wonder Araragi felt despair. Loved it.

Ougi is so mysterious...and creepy (not in bad way though)
Apr 13, 2020 9:34 PM

Aug 2019
48mins jfc i did not realise time had flown that quickly.
whoop finally starting probably the season im most looking forward to, one of most hyped up character (and personal fav) is finally getting debunked after much mystery about her true motives from previous seasons.
This season seems to be more of a math-ey detective vibe that i for one won't understand because i single handily brought down the class average 10 folds. However that won't stop me from enjoying this season! Opening was grand, and that 48min screen time of Ougi was what i bargained for idk something about girls with oversized sleeves has started a weird... flame in me i cant understand.
Apr 30, 2020 3:07 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Wow. Great episode. The solving of a mundane school mystery in an interesting way really reminded me of the sort of thing they'd do in Hyouka. Ougi's a little creepy though. I liked the OP too.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Aug 24, 2020 11:24 AM

Aug 2020
Eu sabia que a Oikura ia aparecer em algum momento, o simples fato dela estar sendo animada já mostrava tudo, Shaft não desperdiça seu tempo com figurantes e é essa direção de arte que torna esse anime tão diferente. Confesso que não achei que a aparição dessa nova personagem seria tão repentina (algo para o próximo episódio ou coisa do tipo), mas tenho certeza que o fato da Ougi confrontar o Araragi nessa situação não foi uma mera coincidência, assim como a aparição do Tadatsuru no arco passado foi planejada por ela, Ougi sabia muito bem o que no futuro aconteceria, não acho que ela faz isso por mal, ela foi uma das culpadas por transformar a Sengoku na cobra, mas dessa vez ela ajudou o nosso protagonista a lidar com uma cicatriz do passado, não sei o que ela é, mas tenho a sensação que a clarividência da Gaen e a aparição da "escuridão" nos eventos de Onimonogatari estão relacionadas com a Ougi, no passado ela disse que apenas quer manter o balanço das coisas, então acredito que ela não faça essas coisas por mal, é apenas o trabalho dela, assim como o trabalho de um vampiro é agir como o vampiro, o trabalho de um mediador é mediar as coisas.

//

I knew that Oikura would appear at some point, the simple fact that she was being animated already showed everything, Shaft does not waste time with extras and it is this art direction that makes this anime so different. I confess that I didn't think the appearance of this new character would be so sudden (something for the next episode), but I'm sure that the fact that Ougi confronted Araragi in this situation was not a mere coincidence, as well as the appearance of Tadatsuru in the past arc it was planned by her, Ougi knew very well what would happen in the future, I don't think she does it badly, she was one of the culprits for turning Sengoku into a snake, but this time she helped our protagonist to deal with a scar from the past, I don't know what it is, but I have a feeling that Gaen's clairvoyance and the appearance of "darkness" in Onimonogatari events are related to Ougi, in the past she said she just wants to keep things balanced , so I believe she doesn't do these things for evil, it's just her job, just like a vampire's job is to act like the vampire, a mediator's job is to mediate things.

(Sorry if my English is wrong, I'm not very good at writing)
Unlimited Rulebook, boku wa kimegao de sou itta.
Sep 16, 2020 4:12 AM

Apr 2020
Elementary, dear Watson!

Liked this first episode. I'm a fan of detective stories and mystery novels and stuff, so this "figuring out the culprit" was interesting to watch. Though It'd be an easy guess if Araragi specified in his story that the culprit was the homeroom teacher.

Also goddamit, why didn't I have teachers who hand over model answers to exams back at my school??
[right]=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
Sep 18, 2020 4:20 PM

Jun 2020
Now it's Ougi's arc the dialogue was good and can't wait to see more about Ougi.

Ougi is a bit mysterious cuz on Hanamonogatari he was a boy but on this arc she is a girl so I wanna know the reason on why and what's his/her gender.
Sep 30, 2020 1:10 AM
Mar 2018
so ougi locked him in there? and did ougi just create that classroom out of thin air? and for what? ougi u weird.
HotPocketChrisSep 30, 2020 1:15 AM
Oct 26, 2020 6:00 PM

Apr 2019
That was actually a pretty interesting little arc. Sure I got confused whenever Ougi would tart speaking butit was pretty interesting nonetheless.

The OP and ED were not too bad, and overall ost was pretty good.

And now we get to see Sodachi's arc which should be even more interesting.

I also still am just confused as to who Ougi is/what she is, as well as to how that room worked.

Nov 18, 2020 4:08 PM

Jul 2020
Sorta odd they put an entire arc into one episode. Very good one, needless to say.
Feb 7, 2021 1:12 AM

Oct 2020
wow that's was unexpected
Apr 1, 2021 9:46 AM

Oct 2016
Fantastic episode! We finally got an Ougi focused arc! Well technically Araragi, but she's the main girl. I love the OP, it's a fucking banger. I did not expect an Araragi backstory though, we will finally find out why he turned out the way he did in Kizumonogatari, a bonafide loner. We also meet a new character! Sodachi Oikura, she seems pretty cool.

I am guessing this arc is somewhere after Nisemonogatari and before the second season I think. Always love it when Kanbaru says her name lmao, didn't expect Kanbaru to be the one to introduce Ougi to Araragi, but it does make sense with what happened in Hanamonogatari. Looking forward to finding out more about Ougi.

Also really just loving the new visual style of the show ever since the final season started, it was definitely an upgrade to what was already fantastic visuals.

EDIT: Well didn't realize Ougi Formula was just 1 episode, I watched it separately. That second part was fucking amazing though holy shit.
sKyBlazer08Apr 2, 2021 6:29 AM
Jun 3, 2021 8:45 AM

Feb 2021
this was so far the most difficult episode to understand
Jun 4, 2021 4:16 PM

Feb 2020
This felt like a Hyouka episode, but better. I found the story to be very interesting, due to how real it felt. This ridiculous hatred students can have due to simple jalousy, how justice is decided by the majority (it reminds me of this oh so beautiful thing that is the cancel culture), how corrupted some teachers can be, and of course the weight of the past. I found all this to be so well done that I was completely hypnotized by what was going on. I find Araragi's past to be a bit too much like this typical "edgy mc" story, but here I found it to be well written so I don't really mind.
Oikura coming back is interesting, that explains why she will get an arc next episode. I wonder how her development will happen, I already am interested in her.

Another great thing, is to get an entire double-episode with Ougi. She is such an intriguing character, I could spend hours theorizing about her. Some of my theories seem to have even more weight now actually, specifically one about how she is whether an oddity herself, or an ex-oddity who became an oddity hunter, like Shinobu (which would explain the name since we know she isn't Meme's actual niece). Either I am correct or not, I love her claim about how she doesn't know anything and Araragi is the one who knows. She seems to know not the actual truth, but how to make the truth come out and she knows which questions to ask in order for that to happen (she would make a great therapist, wouldn't she ?). I don't know if we should see her as an antagonist, an ally or simply neutral (I'm going for the third option), but either way I can't wait to see more of her. She is very creepy though, she made feel uncomfortable at times, but that's part of her charm and clearly is an indication about what she really is (I'm telling you, she is an oddity).

Also, even if it was for a short time, it made me happy to see Kanbaru and Hanekawa. Senjougahara as well, even if she barely did anything. I kinda forgot what she used to look like.
Sep 3, 2021 4:49 AM
Aug 2021
That was a great mini arc. We get a look into Araragi's past two years ago. The then Class President Sodachi Oikura makes all the students in her section stay back to find the culprit who had given the question paper of the math finals to a study group of the math teacher Tetsujo.
I feel bad for Sodachi, her classmates voted her out because they were jealous of her. Since then, she stopped coming to school and was homeschooled for two years. But she will be coming back to achool now.

What is wrong with that teacher, allowing her students to cheat just to make it look like she was good at teaching.

I still know nothing about Ougi(didn't watch Hana yet) but I find her kinda creepy and something about her doesn't seem human.
Oct 2, 2021 2:02 PM

Aug 2015
Is Ougi the only girl Araragi doesn't want to smash?

If anything she putting the hands on him and he backs off, a little disappointed in him, I mean where's the shameless pervert I know and love.

Anyway I really like Ougi, I've been wanting a season/arc to focus on her, this seems like it but you never know, hopefully, they'll focus on her a lot.
May 19, 2022 2:28 AM

Jan 2015

What a crazy vibe in this episode, arc is off to a really engaging start, probably one of, if not the, weirdest season start so far. Ougi's still certainly very weird but she's fun, here. Funny how I have such suspicions of her this whole time, now we're seeing her at the front of a detective themed scenario.
Opening was really weird too, not what I could have expected at all but cool!

Episode looked really amazing.

I have really missed "KAREN DAZE!" "Tsukihi dayo." "PREVIEW QUIZU!" "QUIZU!"
Aug 23, 2022 3:29 PM
Oct 2020
Oikura pain train lets gooooooooo!!!! I’m not looking forward to watching the next two arcs. They absolutely broke me with the VN. This arc hurts even more than it did when I read it. Ougi is really freaky in the anime btw. Her long sleeves and weird movement is really spooky. Great first episode!
Sep 17, 2022 6:26 PM
Oct 2020
Fantastic episode! The visuals in the beginning were especially pleasing, and the reality-bending classroom was cool as well. Any show that starts with Euler's identity is a winner for me! It reminded me a little of "Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove" which is one of my all time favorite anime.
Mar 26, 2023 1:12 PM

Nov 2010
Beautiful? I have zero affinity for math; for me, all I see is an abomination. I effing hate math! It made my school life so miserable!
How did they get out if the mystery went unsolved? I guess they just waited until the school had to close for the day.
Nov 7, 2023 12:22 AM

Nov 2023
I didn't know Araragi Koyomi was superb at Math! I can't even get 80% score
Apr 4, 8:28 AM

May 2021
Unless I'm forgetting, this might be the first time since Hachikuji's first arc that this series has made mention of a not-prominent character.

Excited to see what this season has to offer since Ougi high up there in my sussy baka list, especially after the 2nd season.

Apr 6, 5:33 PM
Mar 2019
Why does MAL list this as 1 episode instead of 2? There's 2 clear parts each with the OP.
May 7, 8:04 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
So apparently back when this originally aired these two Ougi Formula episodes were just one episode, so I went and wrote a post for the first episode but quickly realized my error and now I have to write a whole new post, ain’t that fun lol. With that out of the way, here we are at Owarimonogatari, jumping from New Years Eve 2014 to Fall 2015, folks during this time didn’t have to wait long for this one but I turned it on right after finishing Tsukimonogatari, time is a funny thing, but I’m excited to be here as it looks like the mystery woman/man/thing is getting some focus this season, she even got her own OP, it’s sadly just for two episodes but it was a cool one. But this first arc of the season was not just Ougi focused, but also Sodachi Oikura, a new girl that was introduced in Araragi’s past, and she seemed like a bit of a tool with how she somehow forced everyone into a classroom for something like cheating on a test, not sure what was stopping anyone from walking out lol, but perhaps the Japanese take this a lot more seriously.

And the wild part was no one actually cheated, but it was actually the teacher who changed the test questions to what that study session went over, so Oikura’s little trial was kinda pointless. And I know a lot of others felt bad for Oikura, but personally I feel this was deserved, maybe she was seeking justice but the way she went about it was a bit of a dick move, everyone voted for her simply because they wanted to go home, yeah the teacher was a bitch for voting for her too but I don’t really feel bad for Oikura here. And magically, after Ougi solved the case for us basically, they were allowed out of the room, somehow I feel she set this up but I guess we’ll never know for sure, it was cool seeing a bit of Araragi’s past tho, although I’m a bit surprised that situation made him an edge lord before. And unsurprisingly, right after we learned all of that, Oikura is back at school, I wonder what more there could be to her, I’m excited to find out even if my first impressions of her were bad lol.

And we also got a very nice ED by Alisa Takigawa, who I know because of the ED she did for “Domestic Girlfriend”, love the jam and the visuals were cool and maintain that style they’ve had since the beginning. And with that I’m ready to see what this entry to the series has to offer.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

146 by TheColonel76 »»
May 15, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2015

211 by TheColonel76 »»
May 15, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2015

171 by TheColonel76 »»
May 14, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

172 by TheColonel76 »»
May 14, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

154 by TheColonel76 »»
May 8, 6:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.