Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 6, 2023 7:13 AM
Dec 2022
it's really sad to think about the pain yui went through
Jan 6, 2023 7:31 AM
May 2021
its complete and awesomely animated!
Jan 6, 2023 8:05 AM

May 2019
The first episode went hard. Could be a classic in the making.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jan 6, 2023 8:08 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Look...this is definitely not deserving the below 7 treatment, it was way too competent of a presentation for that.

Did people's taste change so much nowadays that straightforward samurai stories are a no-go? 
Jan 6, 2023 9:25 AM
Dec 2022
Good stuff. Highly recommend.
Jan 6, 2023 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
Lloyd_123 said:
starflutter said:
I'm still kind of confused about who this group of merchants (?) are, but I enjoyed the episode. Kite girl is cute, she looked a bit too happy killing that guy, but I love insane female characters like that.

Wasn't expecting that seppuku at the end. The ED song is very beautiful.

Lmao that was a modern Chicano tattoo, felt really out of place along with the guns

The modern Santa Maria of Guadalupe tattoo takes its influence from an actual cloth made up of her resemblance which is as old as 400-500 years,so it won't be wierd for him to have that tattoo

In Edo period Japan though? Yes it is pretty weird
Jan 6, 2023 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
starflutter said:
Lloyd_123 said:

The modern Santa Maria of Guadalupe tattoo takes its influence from an actual cloth made up of her resemblance which is as old as 400-500 years,so it won't be wierd for him to have that tattoo

i don't think you know the fact that Catholicism had already made its mark in Japan since the 1500s,Lol
So being historically accurate isn't wierd,it's being right on point
Jan 6, 2023 10:21 AM

Sep 2014
First episode was good. I need more. 
Jan 6, 2023 10:23 AM
Jul 2018
Lloyd_123 said:
starflutter said:

i don't think you know the fact that Catholicism had already made its mark in Japan since the 1500s,Lol
But the design itself looks like something a modern tattoo artist would do so that's what's really throwing me off
Jan 6, 2023 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
starflutter said:
Lloyd_123 said:

But the design itself looks like something a modern tattoo artist would do so that's what's really throwing me off

I don't know what throws you off from that,but I'd say it's depends on the person who got it, although the tattoo might be a bit different from the actual one,it still has it's close resemblance
Jan 6, 2023 11:53 AM

Jan 2009
The main cast seems lifted from Saiyuki, they clash so much with everything else. Decent pilot, only interested to see if urobuchi's script will be good or not
Jan 6, 2023 2:09 PM

Sep 2018
Well that was certainly pretty flamboyantly gruesome, I liked it.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 6, 2023 3:01 PM
Dec 2021
Muy bueno no me esperaba que fuera tan bueno el primer episodio me gusto aunque f por la waifu
Jan 6, 2023 4:16 PM
Mar 2012
decent fight animation, and 2d horses for once.
That's some creative tho brutal weapons. Gold leaf such a classy one & such a waste tho.
Souji basically shuriken but with karuta cards.
Kid looks zombish like Rita, rare fishing line & kite weapon. Think last time we had fishing hero in Shieldbro.
oof Raizou is suffering, rather fast paced already finished with his revenge.
Jan 6, 2023 5:14 PM

Jul 2015
why there's a mf with a lesbian haircut? this shit keeping me from watching this series

Jan 6, 2023 8:03 PM
Jan 2017
Great dialog. Great plot. Great characters. What a rare find! Then I noticed that Gen Urobochi was behind it. that explains everything.
Jan 6, 2023 10:50 PM

Aug 2020
TrustAC said:
why there's a mf with a lesbian haircut? this shit keeping me from watching this series?
Wait, who are you talking about?
DILF characters need more appreciation
Hot boys which are not Bishies also welcome
Jan 6, 2023 11:41 PM

Oct 2008
at first i thought: "this might be exceptional" then when i saw the staff...oh damn! Urobutcher is involved! so that's why...this is sure a keeper for me.
5/5.

Jan 7, 2023 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
Some of the deaths were pretty brutal.

Yui stabbing herself in the throat...jfc.

Seems like this anime is going to be a bloodbath and I am in for it.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 7, 2023 10:54 AM

Jul 2015
MinxNight said:
TrustAC said:
why there's a mf with a lesbian haircut? this shit keeping me from watching this series?
Wait, who are you talking about?

now search for 'lesbian haircut' on google images

Jan 7, 2023 1:54 PM
Apr 2019
DollarSniper said:
And the one thing that I don't like it's why, in a samurai anime, characters have guns?

Firearms did exist in Japan's history and judging by how Revenger takes place in the Edo period (mid or late IDK), it wasn't uncommon to see guns though I'm not sure which people got them or how regulated they were at the time. 
Jan 7, 2023 2:15 PM

Aug 2014
Oooof, well that was heavy. 
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jan 7, 2023 2:45 PM
Feb 2021
one of the good eps ever made
Jan 7, 2023 2:57 PM
May 2017
Hylianticipated said:
MinxNight said:
Bet the short girl with the kite will be the most favorite char
Why? Because she is maybe the only main girl in the cast of males. Just sayin'
I don't really like the white-haired one, but the rest are acceptable
Great first ep, just not as flashy or impactful as Urobuchi's previous works
Maybe it follows the 3 episode rule?

You’re assuming it’s not a trap. Nio definitely gave be crossdresser vibes. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s the impression I got.
Well, official site says androgynous boy. Though I don't feel like Nio is a trap, since he gives off a more boyish impression than a girl. 
Jan 7, 2023 3:26 PM
Nov 2022
Heyecanlı bir giriş yaptı olaylar bu şekilde devam ederse gerçekten kaliteli bir iş izlemiş olacağız.
Jan 7, 2023 10:17 PM
Dec 2021
has potential to be a great anime
Jan 7, 2023 11:56 PM

Jun 2013
God damn that was bloody
Jan 8, 2023 3:17 AM

Jul 2016
liam0207 said:
The first episode went hard. Could be a classic in the making.

Was really good. I enjoyed it alot.
Jan 8, 2023 8:39 AM

May 2019
Smudy said:
Look...this is definitely not deserving the below 7 treatment, it was way too competent of a presentation for that.

Did people's taste change so much nowadays that straightforward samurai stories are a no-go? 
my thoughts exactly. The characters were well written for a pilot, the pacing was mostly smooth and the plot was intriguing despite being predictable. Considering the average isekai recycle show gets 6.5-6.8 a season, Revenger deserves a LOT more respect.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jan 8, 2023 10:13 AM

Nov 2012
Attention grabbing from start to end.  Looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 8, 2023 1:20 PM

Dec 2007
Time for him to commit seppuku to atone for his failures to his fiance.
Jan 8, 2023 1:59 PM
Feb 2018
Good plot. Characters are diverse. Best part is Having a St.Maria Tattoo on his back LOL
Jan 8, 2023 3:26 PM
Nov 2011
فاجئتني الحلقة
Jan 8, 2023 4:16 PM

Sep 2013
That ended up being better than expected. With each season increasingly getting filled with copy-paste isekai, this really did scratch a specific itch for more old timey stuff, at least plot wise (still not a fan of the art style but can work through it). Just hope it'll go a bit darker further down the line, though sceptical...
The kite death scene was pretty nice ~
Jan 8, 2023 5:23 PM

Oct 2015
Whoa... what an episode. It was like a film of itself. That twist in the end, where the fiance killed herself, man... what a tragedy.

I am hoping the MC would keep going, living in atonement, and that he will be recruited with that group doing some odd jobs or something. I hope he will find a new reason to live.
   HuaLian <3
Jan 8, 2023 6:42 PM
Apr 2022
It was a good episode has to see where its gonna go since he already got his revenge
Jan 9, 2023 7:36 AM

Dec 2015
A fine first episode, it was better than some of "hyped" series, cause it shows within the first episode some decent animation, the fundamentals of story, the fact of using some sort of history which is a rarity in nowadays anime, good music score, surely will be enjoying that title.

DollarSniper said:
And the one thing that I don't like it's why, in a samurai anime, characters have guns?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm#History
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchlock

Who told you that Fireguns and Guns such as Matchlocks are the modern era stuff? They were used in times of "Samurai", next time read some wikipedia at least, it will be helpfull.
Jan 9, 2023 10:32 AM
Jan 2019
this anime makes no sense and is nothing more than a tool to make 8 year old boys go "WOW, SO COOL!!"
Jan 9, 2023 5:15 PM
Jun 2020
O cara toma um tiro e no msm ep tá andando por aí de boa, dps tem um cara sendo decapitado por linha de pipa(kskssksk).O final até é impactante com o seppuku.
Jan 10, 2023 1:54 AM
Oct 2019
Ngl I'm checking out this Anime just because of Gen Urobuchi name.

Well that was a very heavy first episode.
I like the Music and the Characters Design.
Jan 10, 2023 12:20 PM
May 2020
A very good first episode. It is a historical anime with a very good setting, with samurai, mystery, bloody scenes and good character design.

I loved it, I hope it continues at this level until the last episode. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Jan 10, 2023 3:49 PM

Feb 2016
Excellent starting episode for the anime. The music was fire, the characters look interesting especially Usui and Nio and the dark violence definitely feels like a Nitroplus title lmao. Had a feeling his fiancee was gonna neck herself ggs Urobutcher

P.S godtier OP/ED

Can't wait for the next episode
Jan 10, 2023 8:03 PM
May 2017
Decent first watch, I'll give it 2 more episodes to see if it's a watch or drop. 2.5/5
Jan 10, 2023 11:23 PM

Aug 2012
So many things wrong with this anime I do not know where to start. Sso I will start with what is good. Amazing drawing, very good animation and good music. And now let's get to the bad:
1. samurai were not so honorable (they were actually mostly scum) and the hara kiri was forced. They will not willigly do it. They chose to do it so that their famillies will not be executed with them
2. fire arms were not so common especially pistols. The army barely had shotguns and it was considered treason to have those as a daimyo
3. a girl lifting 3-4 times her own weight... mmm no...
4. christians just as jews are against tattoes so having a tattoo especially with an icon with be extremely sacrilegious
5. the opium business was more complex and if I remember correctly the asians produced selled and had opium parlors
6. while strangling someone with a string is feasible unless she used a puley system she could not have lifted him above ground and even with a puley is pretty hard
7. magic cloth suffocates man? how?
8. man with cloth is way too fast
9. for a daimyo there are virtually no guards around

I will give it one or two more episodes but is probably a drop
Jan 12, 2023 11:43 PM
Jul 2021
Pretty solid Tenchu/Samurai X knock-off. Gratuitous ninja execution scenes and late Edo era atmosphere. Everything happens a bit too fast as if it's a parody of Samurai X though. Hope the story turns out better in the following episodes.
Jan 13, 2023 4:35 AM

May 2013
Kinda shocked this show is sitting on a flat 7 score right now. Like in terms of mal scores that's pretty bad...

I thought the first episode was pretty entertaining to watch.
TimidGazelleJan 13, 2023 4:38 AM
Jan 13, 2023 4:22 PM

May 2015
That was... boring? Like something already seen before and not really special. They try with some out of ordinary visuals, music is nice I guess, but it still falls bland overall. Character designs are too bright for me to take this type of story seriously, that's probably the most jarring thing in this anime and why I won't be watching it anymore.
Jan 15, 2023 12:53 AM

Aug 2014
Damn, this first episode hit hard
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Jan 15, 2023 6:11 AM

Nov 2007
nightcrawlercyp said:
So many things wrong with this anime I do not know where to start. Sso I will start with what is good. Amazing drawing, very good animation and good music. And now let's get to the bad:
1. samurai were not so honorable (they were actually mostly scum) and the hara kiri was forced. They will not willigly do it. They chose to do it so that their famillies will not be executed with them
2. fire arms were not so common especially pistols. The army barely had shotguns and it was considered treason to have those as a daimyo
3. a girl lifting 3-4 times her own weight... mmm no...
4. christians just as jews are against tattoes so having a tattoo especially with an icon with be extremely sacrilegious
5. the opium business was more complex and if I remember correctly the asians produced selled and had opium parlors
6. while strangling someone with a string is feasible unless she used a puley system she could not have lifted him above ground and even with a puley is pretty hard
7. magic cloth suffocates man? how?
8. man with cloth is way too fast
9. for a daimyo there are virtually no guards around

I will give it one or two more episodes but is probably a drop
It's anime...not a historical documentary. And it's made by Japanese people who know their history better than you do anyway, so sit down. If I wanted to, I would also write what's wrong with your claims but I am not that free.
Jan 15, 2023 7:10 AM

Aug 2012
Just because they are japanesse does not mean they know their history better. Also in any conflict there are two versions of the story and the truth is somewhere in the middle usually. Not sure how you can rebuke that women are way weaker physically than men though . Strongest woman has about 60-70% of an average healthy man strength and most women are 3-4 times weaker than men. Is about testosterone.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Beautiful artwork

Naveen6662246 - Apr 27

4 by Kreshre »»
Apr 28, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Mar 23, 2023

61 by Forum »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 16, 2023

33 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 20, 2023 4:26 AM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 4 Discussion

kuroneko99 - Jan 26, 2023

32 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 18, 2023 1:53 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 16, 2023

14 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 29, 2023 12:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.