Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 1, 2023 1:48 PM
Negator

Mar 2022
I’m man enough to admit I ugly cried for a solid 15 minutes straight, kudos to the staff for bringing us yet another phenomenal, emotional episode and adding heart wrenching anime original content. You could feel the heart and soul put into it, they truly care for this series just as much as us die hard fans. I pray they receive the funds to continue adapting this story through to the end, it deserves a full adaptation.
May 1, 2023 1:48 PM
Apr 2016
Devastatingly beautiful.
May 1, 2023 2:09 PM
Aug 2020
This is art, everything is just perfect.

People don’t understand the meaning of Seinen. We can really feel the emotions of the characters.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
May 1, 2023 2:14 PM

Feb 2012
"It is death that completes a man" -Willibald(the drunk priest in season 1)
May 1, 2023 2:14 PM

Jul 2020
the artistry in this episode genuinely blows my mind, the way that the story is able to take a side character and give up so much richness and depth while using that to intergrate the themes of the season in a natural yet devestating & tragic way is kind of astounding. gardar is definitely one of my favourite characters in this story after this. in the end, his "honor and wealth" was his downfall, as he tried to pursue that instead of what were the most important parts of his life, and as such he lost his son and was seperated from his wife all for the sake of "glory", which kind of pinpoints how pointlessness of war and brutality and how it can hurt not only yourself but what matters to you the most.

remember when i said episode 9 was the best episode? yeah im giving it to this episode now. just immaculate on all fronts and at this point i DEFINITELY prefer this season over the 1st.
May 1, 2023 2:25 PM

Apr 2020
Episodes like this make me think Vinland Saga might be one of the greatest Anti-War stories every made, in Anime.
May 1, 2023 2:26 PM

Feb 2020
Holy sh*t fire episode- Rest in peace.
May 1, 2023 2:35 PM

May 2018
Looks like Gardar is gone for good now. Arnheid is likely not gonna make it after seeing the end of the episode.

Thorfinn and Einar are definitely in big trouble now.
May 1, 2023 2:52 PM
Aug 2016
For the first time in 17 episodes, I have no words to describe this episode, just my honest reaction to it...

You can't describe episodes like these, you just feel them, feel the humanity in them. 
infinity/5 episode. Poor Arnheid...

PS: Looks like Ketil and bros are back, why tf is he looking so menacing? Why tf is the name of the next episode "The First Method"? Is this guy going to use some punishment method on Arnheid, has he gone that crazy? OMFG I feel now even Arnheid is going to die 🥹

PPS: Thorfinn vs Snake was awesome ngl!
May 1, 2023 2:54 PM
Apr 2015
Only the first few minutes are worth watching, skipped the rest like I do most of season 2. 

May 1, 2023 2:55 PM

Jan 2013
Going to avoid being a fan boy here and start knocking this season down.... The horse has been beaten to a pulp. How much more of this?
May 1, 2023 2:58 PM

Feb 2019
Inugirlz said:
My level of sympathy for Snake is less than zero. I honestly want to like the man but his stubbornness and that tantrum about his men was just beyond selfish. Your men's lives aren't and weren't worth shit. Most if not all of them were cruel, careless and idiotic. They deserved what they got.
Thorfinn and Arhneid's silence was confirming enough that the lives of Snake's men were no less worth than Gardar's.

May 1, 2023 3:03 PM
May 2021
Best fighting scene ever.
May 1, 2023 3:04 PM

May 2016
Andromeda567 said:
Thorfinn and Arhneid's silence was confirming enough that the lives of Snake's men were no less worth than Gardar's.T
Totally agree with this, and that was what made it even more of a perfect episode and closure to his story.
May 1, 2023 3:22 PM

Sep 2019
The Kinoland Saga started around ep 9 and is still going indeed
May 1, 2023 3:41 PM
Apr 2023
Heartbreaking end for Gardar. Very tragic and great writing. He had to die because he killed Snake’s men but nonetheless it’s tough to watch the downfall or what was once a good man. I really liked Snake in this episode, not just because of the action sequence but his lines questioning the rest on whether Gardar’s life was worth 5 of his men. The silence after he said that was amazing. Raises some important questions. Are other’s deaths justifiable so that one couple can have a happy(ish) ending? Sure we all want to see Arnheid free, but at the cost of other’s lives? Lots to unpack in this episode! It’s probably the most emotional I’ve been in Vinland Saga since Thornfinn’s dad stuff. RIP Gardar
May 1, 2023 3:44 PM
Apr 2023
Bergioyn said:
Got to be one of, if not the worst episode so far. They took like 5 pages from the manga and stretched it into almost 20 minute flashback sequence with that annoying piano going on the entire time. While good, the farm arc is already slow paced, there’s absolutely no need to slow it down even further.

Damn I couldn’t feel any more differently! Out of curiosity, what is wrong with expanding on the pages? Most people in the discussion feel that expanding on Arnheid and Gardar grew the emotional intensity of their story and was done successfully. Sure, I believe it dragged a bit, but why is it you feel like this?
May 1, 2023 3:57 PM
Aug 2022
what a beautiful episode
May 1, 2023 4:00 PM
Feb 2021
The episode was very good, they conveyed the emotionality very well and i like the anime only scene where gardar meets this son
May 1, 2023 4:08 PM
Jan 2016
Bergioyn said:
Got to be one of, if not the worst episode so far. They took like 5 pages from the manga and stretched it into almost 20 minute flashback sequence with that annoying piano going on the entire time. While good, the farm arc is already slow paced, there’s absolutely no need to slow it down even further.

I wouldn't say 5 pages. It was pretty much the entirety of chapter86 of the manga.

A lot happens here, so I don't think they stretched the content that excessively.
May 1, 2023 4:09 PM

Jul 2009
sphxre said:
Inugirlz said:
My level of sympathy for Snake is less than zero. I honestly want to like the man but his stubbornness and that tantrum about his men was just beyond selfish. Your men's lives aren't and weren't worth shit. Most if not all of them were cruel, careless and idiotic. They deserved what they got.
Bro what, those guys were just doing their job. How many people did Gardar kill and you feel bad only for him? Both sides are justified in this
Doing bad things to people because it's your job doesn't make it morally justifiable. Besides their job is to protect the farm. Ketil isn't there so there's also no need to protect him. I'm pretty sure once he found Arnheid he would've just left. An injured man has no business sticking around to wait for him. For them catching Gardar was a bounty hunt they decided to take on for additional pay. It comes with risks. No one should set out to kill someone without being prepared to die or get hurt. I only feel sorry for Gardar in this situation because only he was operating for the sake of survival and saving his wife. Why wouldn't I feel bad for him? The others have their freedom and would be safe if they didn't go out looking for trouble. No one Gardar killed was innocent. We don't know exactly what happened in the hut that burned down with him at the beginning but based on all the hints it's clear he snapped to defend himself. He didn't kill the woman and her baby because they were innocent.

Personally, I just don't agree or vibe with anyone on the side of supporting the continuation of slavery. Gardar and his men make it possible for Ketil to have slaves.
Andromeda567 said:
Inugirlz said:
Thorfinn and Arhneid's silence was confirming enough that the lives of Snake's men were no less worth than Gardar's.

And they'd be right. Because technically no one's life should be worth more than the other. But killing Gardar doesn't bring them back or make anything equal. Anyway, me saying their lives aren't worth shit is just my opinion because I personally think they all suck. I see what kind of people they are so I value them less. The same way I would think a murderous rapist deserves death and is worth less than an innocent farmwife. In the eyes of god (if there is one), they're equal but in my eyes, they most certainly are not. 

ogking31 said:
Inugirlz said:
Well, to begin with killing Gardar isn't going to bring back his men so the discussion of worth is odd.
If people were honest with themselves they'd be able to answer that. Gardar was a slave that was treated badly and just defended himself at every turn. If you try to kill/hurt someone, I'm sorry but you should be prepared to get killed/hurt back. Originally no one from their party was hurt or affected by Gardar escaping. They chose to take up the job to hunt him for the pay (i.e. 3 horses). And funnily enough despite the pay being 3 horses Snake, KILLED one of their own horses just to dismount him (now the reason for them getting involved in the first place is somewhat compromised. At this point it's less about the job and more about revenge).
They started it. It isn't truly about "worth" since no one can really rank themselves over another without it being selfish or biased but if they were honest with themselves they'd know who is truly in the wrong. Treat others how you want to be treated. Any of them could've been a slave. 
Hence why to snake's point why should Gardar's life be spared when he has killed 5 of his men? In fact Gardar started the whole rampage and yes it was him trying to be free and finding arnheid. But to Snake's point of view why should his life be spared at that point? he's willing to kill any people and Ketil. 
This point makes no sense when it comes to morality. Whether Gardar was enslave or not, his consequences leads to punishment and a trade off aka his life. 
I don't understand your thinking. I explained my thoughts as best as i could, you're free to disagree i guess. But like imagine believing that defending yourself against death and/or severe injury makes you still morally wrong and deserving of the consequence of death. Gardar being enslaved is the entire reason for the sequence of events so i don't see how it's irrelevant. Maybe you can explain your point better but I don't really feel the need to continue to defend my thoughts. People shouldn't be enslaved. And if they are don't abuse them and don't support a system that allows it. If you do you're already on the morally wrong side and if you die or get hurt trying to uphold that system then guess what? I don't have sympathy for you and i can't possibly see you has the morally right party.

InugirlzMay 1, 2023 4:21 PM
May 1, 2023 4:15 PM
Aug 2021
Pre_Yum said:
Damn... that was something. The fight between Thorfinn and Snake was amazing. Both of them judging each other like that and then the emotional moments later in the episode hit like  damn truck. It's just so sad to see all of this unfolding in such a way. You can't even blame Snake for feeling this way.

Arnheid is so damn unlucky. She can never have a moment of happiness in this show. Poor girl. It was so fucking emotional. Everything about this episode. The anime original scenes made this episode 100x more painful to watch. I was bawling my eyes out for some reason. I feel so bad for Gardar as well. He never got to see or know about Hjalti. T_T. Everything about this show is so beautiful. Hardest I ever cried during this show. RIP Gardar.

I have no words... A masterpiece. Wow!!!

Tho, in the afterlife he got to finally meet his son.
May 1, 2023 4:21 PM
Nov 2022
Absoulte masterpice. No words.
May 1, 2023 4:22 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
What a stunning direction, Gardar's final moments were extremely emotional, and how tough life was for him and Arnheid...
May 1, 2023 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
Gardar roubou a atenção e conseguiu ser um ótimo secundário/antagonista, um homem honrado que apenas teve azar.
May 1, 2023 4:43 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Gardar had that Interstellar moment of Cooper telling himself not to leave Murph

It feels like every other episode of this season could've been the climax. This is one of those anime that just ruins every other anime for awhile. You just need to wait for the PEAK to wear off a little before going back to watching regular sh*t.

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 1, 2023 4:56 PM

Jul 2015
This episode of Vinland Saga reminds me of the ending of "The Gladiator". The feels. :StrongManW:

May 1, 2023 4:59 PM

Apr 2007
That was a long, drawn out episode about a guy I hardly care for. Their story was good to showcase the effects of slavery, I just couldn't get into it. Though it’s truly crazy how many people Gardar was able to take out despite his injuries. Snake better be ok :v

At least we're back to the main story next week.
May 1, 2023 5:09 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Blackwolf1261 said:
I simply could not care less about Garad, sadly a side character spent a whole episode on, dying around 3 times and I still did not care for him a single minute. The problem is, you can absolutely feel the skill of the team and time and effort they went into creating this character... but simply wasted.
That's an adequate way to put it lol He got back up and "squeezed the snake". Yeah i agree with this comment, and disliked this episode for this reason.
張大です for 張大勇督察
May 1, 2023 5:16 PM

Nov 2021
God damn masterpiece of an episode...
May 1, 2023 5:19 PM

Dec 2016
Incredible episode, loved the anime original content. But I do understand why some people think it dragged a little. They reallllyy stretched this out compared to the manga
May 1, 2023 5:23 PM
Apr 2022
Is snake really dead?
May 1, 2023 5:37 PM

Sep 2017
Wow, this was some peak vinland saga. Yeah the fight is cool and all the suspense with Gardar almost killing Snake and whatever but man that ending sequence. It is just so beautiful. Gardar dies thinking his son was still alive and of course the horses show up at the end because of course Arnheid is actually going to escape like that. But it gave them the closure they needed.
May 1, 2023 5:47 PM
May 2023
Beautiful. Just a great episode.
May 1, 2023 5:48 PM

Feb 2014
Thorfinn VS Snake was fire. Two warriors confronting the beasts inside each other. Man we really should have gotten Snake's backstory episode.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

May 1, 2023 5:51 PM

Jul 2013
I'm just blown away by the beauty of this episode. Obviously, I was eagerly awaiting the fight between Snake and Thorfinn. The way both were taken aback by each other's strength was beautifully portrayed in their inner monologues. The intensity could be felt every second. Thorfinn has had an incredible number of fights and yet Snake seemed to have been the fastest of them all. While it's hard to say, I still think Thorfinn with his daggers would probably have had the upper hand. The fact that he could cause such trouble even unarmed is a testament to his class as a warrior. 

Objectively speaking of course Gardar's life is by no means worth more than Snake's 5 dead men. While I have sympathy for both Gardar and Arnheid and wish they could return to their old ways, Gardar's actions cannot be ignored. After Snake stabbed Gardar in the chest, I actually assumed that Gardar would die shortly afterwards. But what a tough guy. With the slightest chance of returning home with Arnheid, even in his poor condition, he was able to overpower Snake. Thorfinn wasn't even able to break Gardar's grip and without Arnheid, Snake would definitely have died.

With Gardar's serious injuries, it quickly became clear that this would be the last time he and Arnheid would be able to spend time together and feel like family. What followed was an incredibly emotional juxtaposition in which Gardar relived both happy and tragic moments in his life. He must have regretted countless times leaving his family behind to acquire the iron, as it was the cruel turning point for the future. Nevertheless, he has finally managed to get back home to his family. RIP Gardar.

I feel bad for Arnheid. Reunited after all this time, only to be separated forever a shortly later. This shows once again how unfair life can be.

We can expect this to have huge consequences not only for her, but for Thorfinn and Einhar as well, which scares me a bit.

All in all, an absolute outstanding episode. Peakland Saga strikes again.

Natsu88May 2, 2023 5:53 AM

May 1, 2023 5:57 PM
Dec 2022
I cried.

like a baby.
May 1, 2023 6:00 PM

Sep 2011
Not gonna lie this Gardar stuff has been dragging so I'm really glad he's finally ead.
May 1, 2023 6:13 PM

Jul 2009
sphxre said:
Inugirlz said:
Doing bad things to people because it's your job doesn't make it morally justifiable. Besides their job is to protect the farm. Ketil isn't there so there's also no need to protect him. I'm pretty sure once he found Arnheid he would've just left. An injured man has no business sticking around to wait for him. For them catching Gardar was a bounty hunt they decided to take on for additional pay. It comes with risks. No one should set out to kill someone without being prepared to die or get hurt. I only feel sorry for Gardar in this situation because only he was operating for the sake of survival and saving his wife. Why wouldn't I feel bad for him? The others have their freedom and would be safe if they didn't go out looking for trouble. No one Gardar killed was innocent. We don't know exactly what happened in the hut that burned down with him at the beginning but based on all the hints it's clear he snapped to defend himself. He didn't kill the woman and her baby because they were innocent.

Personally, I just don't agree or vibe with anyone on the side of supporting the continuation of slavery. Gardar and his men make it possible for Ketil to have slaves.

Gardar isn't the innocent man you're portraying him as. He's a violent murderer no matter how you slice it. Why would Snake have sympathy towards this dangerous man invading the property he's tasked with defending and killing 5 of his men? Do you expect him to just let it go because Gardar has a sob story like everyone else? These guys fight for honor, there's no way Snake would let Gardar walk all over him. Also, bringing modern standards into a fictional world set in medieval times makes zero sense. For the time period, Snake is pretty reasonable and Ketil's farm is damn near a paradise. 

A paradise for who?! Were you a slave owner in a past life? Just because Thorfin and Einar have become complacent slaves doesn’t mean what we’re seeing is anywhere near a paradise. Arnheid is raped daily (by her slave master, Ketil. I don’t want to hear an argument on this), slaves have to sleep outside in a shed of straws no matter the weather. Near paradise in this time period is the flashbacks we see of Gardar and Arnheid’s life. Where Thorfin was born before he decided chase Askelad. Not this. Paradise is not being a slave and being alive and healthy.

I guess we’re just watching the different shows. He violently murdered every person that tried to kill/hurt him. That’s self defence. I don’t need to protray him as anything but what we see on screen. He’s gone pretty mad because of the circumstances but even so he still has the sense not to harm people who haven’t harmed him.

Modern standards into a fictional world? What?! In any time slavery us wrong. And everyone, including the ones living in that time know it. No one wants to be a slave. This isn’t a fantasy story and even if it is morals aren’t something you—nvm. We disagree and I don’t want to write an essay.
InugirlzMay 1, 2023 6:19 PM
May 1, 2023 6:15 PM

Apr 2022
thorfinn vs snake was crazy, snakes not one to be messed with. but damn, rest of it was pretty sad. 
not sure how to feel about arnheid telling gardar to escape in a heartwarming light while he chokes the soul out of snake but makes sense, i guess.
May 1, 2023 6:19 PM

Apr 2020
Week after week, Vinland Saga continues to deliver a perfect episode. Thorfinn x Snake was a great fight. Gardar suffered from the consequences of a wrong decision and lived sadly until the end of his life.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
May 1, 2023 6:31 PM

Jun 2022
I swear S2 is just milking the audiance :) they are getting fan boys hyped up and they get deffencive is somebody states the facts, just finished 17 th episode of s2 and its VERY SLOW ANS BORING! i am about so start S1 in order to get some action. very dissapointed with s2. 💩💩💩

I was expecting some come back strong character Thorfin, instead we got {()} Thorfussy.

I know some ppl will start manga this manga that, but that could have been done in 4 episodes instead of whole season.

like when remembering how bad ass Thorfin was and who he fought against this season is 🗑
May 1, 2023 6:31 PM
Jul 2019
The strongest and heaviest episode of the season. A man, at the end of his life, reflecting on his mistakes as he tries to rescue his beloved family. It was such an intense episode that I had to stop the tears with an alcoholic coffee. A strong element, well constructed, authentic, plausible and present today: regret. How well this episode was constructed! At the end of it, I needed to look for a comedy to get the anguish that this story gave me off my chest.
May 1, 2023 6:57 PM
Jan 2017
saco cheio ja da demora que esse anme tem em cada eps ele fica enrolando demais
May 1, 2023 7:15 PM

Jul 2013
Man I feel so bad for Gardar and Arnheid. Holy shit seeing Gardar reflecting on his decisions and the regret he feels; seeing how he is broken and then becomes strong; seeing a strong Gardar breaking when reflecting on the actions of his younger self - I teared up. This show was unrated till now, I just gave it a 10/10. I'm convinced, this deserves a 10/10.

Please, please don't let Arnheid go back to being a concubine. I'm really okay if she gets killed but being a concubine is just too painful.
May 1, 2023 7:19 PM

Jul 2013
graywolf0 said:
2 min fight only ffs? and 1 whole episode dedicated to the death of someone who they just introduced in the story...

You don't get the point of this show it seems. Its not about the fighting. God damn. It is about how hard people's lives were, how fucking brutal slavery was (and is), how sometimes justifiable decisions take your life in a bad direction.
May 1, 2023 7:29 PM
Nov 2021
Soulblight said:
I don't remember crying this hard in the manga. The symbolism and the metaphors used in Gardar's death were amazing. That long road that got colder as it progressed and ended up with Gardar reuniting with his son, who became his north after 5 years of hell in life as a slave, was just too much for me. And as others have pointed out in previous threads, the VA of Arnheid is killing it. Another masterpiece episode from my POV, Mappa is killing it with this adaptation, gotta give props where they are due.

Right on point with Arnheid's VA, I wasn't feeling it until the sobs hit me, the raw amount of visceral emotion conveyed was insane
May 1, 2023 7:38 PM
Dec 2015
The fight at the start was amazing, but I feel Gardar's death kind of dragged. We've only known him for a few episodes so couldn't really get attached to him
May 1, 2023 7:53 PM
Jun 2019
The best episode of Season 2 so far. The battle between Thorfinn and Snake was well-choreographed and represented their styles of fighting. The rest of the episode was so emotional, touching on themes of family, revenge, the cost of pride, and the cruelty of life in 10th century Northern Europe.
May 1, 2023 8:08 PM
Apr 2022
I want to vote hate this but not because of the quality. This episode is a heart breaking masterpiece. That small feeling of dread has been creeping up with every episode is finally coming to fruition. I had a lump in my throat for most of this episode. For the people who don't like season 2 cause the lack of action, this show was never an action show. The intention of this story was very apparent in the first couple of episodes. Killing has consequences and there has to be a way to break the cycle of hatred. "No one is your enemy. You have no enemies at all."
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

380 by VibinRenji »»
Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Poll: » Do you think Thorfinn's worldview is viable?

Shizuna - May 24

27 by zeidXD »»
Yesterday, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Who is the most handsome Vinland Saga man?

Shizuna - May 24

19 by Genesis007AUT »»
May 26, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

489 by Huperchild »»
May 21, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2023

251 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.