Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 27, 2023 1:25 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014

Television broadcaster NHK announced an anime adaptation of Machiko Kyou's Cocoon manga on Tuesday, revealing the main staff and a teaser visual (pictured above). The anime is scheduled to premiere on NHK in Summer 2025.

Staff
Animation Producer: Hitomi Tateno (Kaguya-hime no Monogatari in-between animation)
Studio: Sasayuri
Production: NHK, NHK Enterprises

Kyou serialized the historical drama manga in Elegance Eve from May 2008 to July 2010.

Synopsis
San and Mayu are two schoolgirls living in Okinawa during the closing months of the Pacific War. Together with their classmates, the two friends are drafted into the war effort as nurses for wounded soldiers. When ordered to die for their country, the remaining members of the group escape only to face the harsh environment of a tropical paradise that has become a hellish battlefield.

Official site: https://www.nhk.jp/g/blog/4xp6rzqv73v

Source: PR Times

Cocoon on MAL
DatRandomDudeJun 27, 2023 1:58 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 27, 2023 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
so a Yuri  looks cute 
Jun 27, 2023 3:09 PM

Sep 2020
This story is based on true event and from what I heard just like grave of fireflies this one also gonna be very hard to watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeyuri_students
Jun 27, 2023 3:39 PM

Mar 2015
ZXEAN said:
This story is based on true event and from what I heard just like grave of fireflies this one also gonna be very hard to watch.

"out of 222 student and 18 teacher, only 11 student and 2 teacher survive"

oh boy
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 27, 2023 5:01 PM

Nov 2012
Second anime I know of to focus on the himeyuri student nurses.

This being the other one
https://myanimelist.net/anime/20469/Himeyuri
Jun 27, 2023 6:03 PM

Jul 2021
The fact that this series is based on a true story that took place in the final phase of World War II during the Battle of Okinawa, where only a few survived out of 222 students and 18 teachers, makes it even harder to watch.. The tragedy of what happened to these innocent people is heartbreaking, and I hope it leave some kind of emotional impact that this series will undertake. 
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 27, 2023 7:11 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I really hope this will make for an educational experience.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 27, 2023 10:28 PM

Apr 2012
boredanimefan12 said:
so a Yuri  looks cute 
Why do you think it's yuri? Just because it has two female protagonists? And this is clearly not the kind of story that should look "cute".
Jun 28, 2023 1:20 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
boredanimefan12 said:
so a Yuri  looks cute 
Why do you think it's yuri? Just because it has two female protagonists? And this is clearly not the kind of story that should look "cute".
it is indeed a GL subtext (with few romantic moment i guess). while historically there has no surviving record about it (yeah shocking, less than 10% of them survive), it's also not uncommon practice during those era. it's definitely not a cute series tho, well, depend if you consider calm before tragedy storm SOL stuff cute. it's definitely slow burn that show their daily life at start and then slowly getting more and more grim as the situation getting more desperate as enemy army coming closer.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 28, 2023 1:40 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:
it is indeed a GL subtext (with few romantic moment i guess). while historically there has no surviving record about it (yeah shocking, less than 10% of them survive), it's also not uncommon practice during those era. it's definitely not a cute series tho, well, depend if you consider calm before tragedy storm SOL stuff cute. it's definitely slow burn that show their daily life at start and then slowly getting more and more grim as the situation getting more desperate as enemy army coming closer.
The "practice" you are referring to is called Class S and it is neither yuri nor yuri subtext. This is a historical form of idealized bromance between Japanese women from a time when young girls were restricted from interacting with boys and female culture cultivated idealized relationships bordering on "platonic romance". Moreover, most of the tropes that western weebs call "yuri bait" come from the Class S literature. And yes, there is a difference between a cute design (even Higurashi popularized the combination of this with gore") and all sorts of "wholesome kawai" that a person apparently expects from it.

Not to mention that even the actual yuri subtext doesn't yet mean any yuri or lesbian relationship, otherwise the description of female friendship just disappeared from shoujo.
RobertBobertJun 28, 2023 1:50 AM
Jun 28, 2023 2:04 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:
The "practice" you are referring to is called Class S and it is neither yuri nor yuri subtext. This is a historical form of idealized bromance between Japanese women from a time when young girls were restricted from interacting with boys and female culture cultivated idealized relationships bordering on "platonic romance". Moreover, most of the tropes that western weebs call "yuri bait" come from the Class S literature. And yes, there is a difference between a cute design (even Higurashi popularized the combination of this with gore") and all sorts of "wholesome kawai" that a person apparently expects from it.

Not to mention that even the actual yuri subtext doesn't yet mean any yuri or lesbian relationship, otherwise the description of female friendship just disappeared from shoujo.
IIRC there was at least 

nothing explicit or detailed, it was not the main focus of story. but if you are the type of "ew gay", then this series was definitely not for you. tho i don't even know if those even made into anime. i am talking stuff from manga.
Jun 28, 2023 2:10 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:

IIRC there was at least 

nothing explicit or detailed, it was not the main focus of story. but if you are the type of "ew gay", then this series was definitely not for you. tho i don't even know if those even made into anime. i am talking stuff from manga.
First of all, don't stick words down my throat that I didn't say. Secondly, what you are calling is not "gl subtext". It's literally off-screen romance (omitting yet another bullshit that girls holding hands are gay). But given how people love to twist yuri goggles, may I know what chapter it was in so I can check it out for myself?
Jun 28, 2023 2:23 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:
IIRC there was at least 

First of all, don't stick words down my throat that I didn't say. Secondly, what you are calling is not "gl subtext". It's literally off-screen romance (omitting yet another bullshit that girls holding hands are gay). But given how people love to twist yuri goggles, may I know what chapter it was in so I can check it out for myself?
i am not accusing you anything. i even say "if". and yes, i even say in my first post that it was indeed gl subtext (mean implied, not literally shown). what do you think GL subtext mean? also i don't remember the exact chapter. read it like 5 years ago. i no longer remember. 
KumaJun 28, 2023 2:31 AM
Jun 28, 2023 2:30 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:
i am not accusing you anything. i even say "if". and yes, i even say in my first post that it was indeed gl subtext (mean implied, not literally shown). what do you think GL subtext mean? also i don't remember the exact chapter, i only read first 2 volume or something and then put them on hold and waiting for it to be completed because slow translation. but it was in early part of stories.
Even by using "if" you actually poisoned the source before my answer, putting me in a situation where I would have to make excuses to remove such vibes. GL subtext means homoerotic metaphor, not "they fucked offscreen". That's why people abuse it by intentionally giving things romantic interpretations like "characters walking together = they're on a date" and then calling it "obvious proof that they're dating". I looked at the translated chapters and there is nothing like that. That's why I want to get an exact indication of the chapter. Because you are already starting to contradict yourself, sometimes calling it "implied subtext", sometimes talking directly about open romance (not to mention the fact that according to MAL this manga consists of one volume).  When a female character says "I would marry her if I were a guy", this is the gl subtext. When characters kiss and have implied sex, it's almost overt romance.
Jun 28, 2023 3:11 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:
i am not accusing you anything. i even say "if". and yes, i even say in my first post that it was indeed gl subtext (mean implied, not literally shown). what do you think GL subtext mean? also i don't remember the exact chapter, i only read first 2 volume or something and then put them on hold and waiting for it to be completed because slow translation. but it was in early part of stories.
Even by using "if" you actually poisoned the source before my answer, putting me in a situation where I would have to make excuses to remove such vibes. GL subtext means homoerotic metaphor, not "they fucked offscreen". That's why people abuse it by intentionally giving things romantic interpretations like "characters walking together = they're on a date" and then calling it "obvious proof that they're dating". I looked at the translated chapters and there is nothing like that. That's why I want to get an exact indication of the chapter. Because you are already starting to contradict yourself, sometimes calling it "implied subtext", sometimes talking directly about open romance (not to mention the fact that according to MAL this manga consists of one volume).  When a female character says "I would marry her if I were a guy", this is the gl subtext. When characters kiss and have implied sex, it's almost overt romance.
i simply say if you are really disliking homosexuality in fiction, then this series definitely not for you since it was heavily implied that main pairings was romantically interested to each other 
again, i simply recall from memory. so some detail definitely lost overtime.  i read this years ago. not yesterday. but i do remember there was definitely someone complain about the gay ending over last few chapter.
KumaJun 28, 2023 3:16 AM
Jun 28, 2023 3:17 AM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:
i simply say if you are really disliking homosexuality in fiction, then this series definitely not for you since it was heavily implied that main pairings was romantically interested to each other 
again, i simply recall from memory. so some detail definitely lost overtime.  i read this years ago. not yesterday.

Wasn't one of the girls
or was it some other manga?

Jun 28, 2023 3:20 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:
again, i simply recall from memory. i read this years ago. not yesterday
Fine. Imagine that we are discussing whether the protagonist is Jewish or not, and at one point in the argument I say "if you are an anti-Semite, then this film is not for you." Would you take it as using a scarecrow or trying to put you in an uncomfortable position?

If it was so "heavily implied" then it clearly went over the heads of anyone else, for even the shipping-obsessed Anilist hadn't heard of it. I'm looking at chapter 14 right now and it doesn't go any further than the typical expression of affection for a loved one at death's door. Especially when they ask you to run and don't try to save them. It's literally a one volume manga with 15 relatively short chapters, can't you remember where the scene you're referring to was?
Jun 28, 2023 3:22 AM

Apr 2012
Piromysl said:
Kuma said:
again, i simply recall from memory. so some detail definitely lost overtime.  i read this years ago. not yesterday.

Wasn't one of the girls
By the way, yes. As far as I can see, this is very much discussed in the comments, the page on Anilist has a thematic tag and on one of the pages the main character CLEARLY "found" something. But if this is so, then they could not sleep together all the more, because in that case it could not remain undiscovered.
RobertBobertJun 28, 2023 3:25 AM
Jun 28, 2023 4:08 AM

Jul 2015
RobertBobert said:
Piromysl said:

Wasn't one of the girls
By the way, yes. As far as I can see, this is very much discussed in the comments, the page on Anilist has a thematic tag and on one of the pages the main character CLEARLY "found" something. But if this is so, then they could not sleep together all the more, because in that case it could not remain undiscovered.

Well, if that's the case, then it is definitely not yuri, because such plot elements are usually used in order to diffuse such unwanted themes, because I highly doubt author wanted it to be perceived as some sort of yuri romance.

Jun 28, 2023 4:23 AM

Apr 2012
@Piromysl It just amazes me why even ship-obsessed resources are silent about this if this is true.
Jun 28, 2023 6:21 AM

Feb 2008
No relation to the 1985 movie with the same name.
Jun 28, 2023 6:58 AM

Mar 2015
Piromysl said:

Wasn't one of the girls
i think you are right. i probably confused the lead with one of side character who really desperate for date because she fear she didn't survive the war and
RobertBobert said:
Fine. Imagine that we are discussing whether the protagonist is Jewish or not, and at one point in the argument I say "if you are an anti-Semite, then this film is not for you." Would you take it as using a scarecrow or trying to put you in an uncomfortable position?

If it was so "heavily implied" then it clearly went over the heads of anyone else, for even the shipping-obsessed Anilist hadn't heard of it. I'm looking at chapter 14 right now and it doesn't go any further than the typical expression of affection for a loved one at death's door. Especially when they ask you to run and don't try to save them. It's literally a one volume manga with 15 relatively short chapters, can't you remember where the scene you're referring to was?
you in here is not personal attack to you. it's just general statement to any reader of my statement. and if you (again, in here not personal) uncomfortable with any hint of homosexuality, then don't read this because this one definitely has one.

as for second point, i think same answer with above. i probably confused main character with one of side character.
Jun 28, 2023 7:02 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
Piromysl said:

Wasn't one of the girls
i think you are right. i probably confused the lead with one of side character who really desperate for date because she fear she didn't survive the war and
RobertBobert said:

you in here is not personal attack to you. it's just general statement to any reader of my statement. and if you (again, in here not personal) uncomfortable with any hint of homosexuality, then don't read this because this one definitely has one.

as for second point, i think same answer with above. i probably confused main character with one of side character.
You're taking things too personal again. This is not an argument about homosexuality. It's a dialogue about certain elements in the plot. And even if there was indeed a "hint" with a side character, it doesn't make a yuri manga.
Jun 28, 2023 8:18 AM

Sep 2020
Kuma said:
ZXEAN said:

oh boy
I am thinking about reading the manga. It's definitely gonna be heartbreaking.

VanishingKira said:

This being the other one
Where can I watch this ?
Jun 28, 2023 1:34 PM

Apr 2016
Kuma said:
ZXEAN said:

oh boy
Yeah, battle of Okinawa was no joke.

You have the Battle of Britain, in which your airmen protected the British people. We had the Battle of Okinawa, in which the exact opposite happened. The Japanese army not only starved the Okinawans but used them as human shields. That dark history is still present today – and Japan and the US should study it before they decide what to do with next.
Jun 28, 2023 6:10 PM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:

You're taking things too personal again. This is not an argument about homosexuality. It's a dialogue about certain elements in the plot. And even if there was indeed a "hint" with a side character, it doesn't make a yuri manga.
there is nothing personal here. my statement is not directly specifically to you the one i quote to, but also you all the reader of my post. also i misremember side character with main character thus also also swap their plot. as simple as that. also never say it was a yuri manga, just it has yuri element (subtext) and the people did complain about it which left big impression on me because it was mostly war tragedy manga and people still complain about slightest hint of homosexuality in said series and somehow it was their deal breaker.
ZXEAN said:

This being the other one
Where can I watch this ?
back then you can watch this in the himeyuri museum official site with english sub. but as now, i couldn't find it on said site.
Jun 28, 2023 6:32 PM
Jul 2016
WHAT?? MY FAVORITE OLD MANGA READ GOT IT ??🤯.... i've read this book before... it's going to be scary when it's animated
Jun 28, 2023 6:37 PM

Nov 2021
Looks interesting. Its rare to see an old manga getting an anime adaptation. 
Jun 28, 2023 10:13 PM

Feb 2012
I never heard of this Himeyuri students until now and this show is def worth a watch now after reading up on them. Very sad situation.
Jun 28, 2023 11:33 PM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:
there is nothing personal here. my statement is not directly specifically to you the one i quote to, but also you all the reader of my post. also i misremember side character with main character thus also also swap their plot. as simple as that. also never say it was a yuri manga, just it has yuri element (subtext) and the people did complain about it which left big impression on me because it was mostly war tragedy manga and people still complain about slightest hint of homosexuality in said series and somehow it was their deal breaker.
ZXEAN said:
Where can I watch this ?
back then you can watch this in the himeyuri museum official site with english sub. but as now, i couldn't find it on said site.
You literally call people complainers when they just question your opinion, and you also keep blindly repeating your thesis after it has been questioned or discussed. It's literally making things personal.
Jun 28, 2023 11:37 PM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:
You literally call people complainers when they just question your opinion, and you also keep blindly repeating your thesis after it has been questioned or discussed. It's literally making things personal.
no, i was talking about back then. not now. back then complainers was the reason this subplot left big impression of me than the series ending was. 
Jun 28, 2023 11:46 PM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:
no, i was talking about back then. not now. back then complainers was the reason this subplot left big impression of me than the series ending was. 
So, once upon a time, some people complained about something and it annoyed you, and now you write down everyone who questions your experience with manga as a complainer? You literally confirmed that this is personal to you.
Jun 29, 2023 12:07 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:
So, once upon a time, some people complained about something and it annoyed you, and now you write down everyone who questions your experience with manga as a complainer? You literally confirmed that this is personal to you.
dude, i just explained to you why this series GL element left big impression on me and slowly overtime it was the one that i mostly remember from the series. not a single time i have intention to make this personal between you and me. i even explaining the "YOU" in here was to every reader of my post, not specifically to you (since it was a public forum). is this still really hard to understand?
Jun 29, 2023 12:16 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:
dude, i just explained to you why this series GL element left big impression on me and slowly overtime it was the one that i mostly remember from the series. not a single time i have intention to make this personal between you and me. i even explaining the "YOU" in here was to every reader of my post, not specifically to you (since it was a public forum). is this still really hard to understand?
And this only confirmed that this is personal for you. But actually no one here is complaining about any element lol. People are literally questioning it. How can people complain about something they don't believe in? This is what is hard for exactly you to understand.
Jun 29, 2023 1:03 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:
And this only confirmed that this is personal for you. But actually no one here is complaining about any element lol. People are literally questioning it. How can people complain about something they don't believe in? This is what is hard for exactly you to understand.
i say the complain was back then and it left pretty strong impression thus become what i remember. dude, you are being obnoxious now. i simply just try to explain the context how i become misremember. how is that personal? and my point still stand, if that chapter end up being adapted, it could happen again.
Jun 29, 2023 1:09 AM

Apr 2012
That is, you still don’t understand why I ask you not to drag your subjective experience onto completely different people and not argue for the sake of an argument, without hearing what they want to say to you? Well, okay, the conversation with you again became completely meaningless.
Jun 29, 2023 1:40 AM
Jan 2016
Sounds too depressing I will pass if I want depression I will check my bank account.
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Jun 29, 2023 7:40 PM

Jan 2022
>Historical anime with a pair of female friends as protagonists gets announced.
Oh cool
>Announcement thread is mainly brainrotted discussion of, "Is this a yuri!?!11?"

Never change western weebs, never change.

Jun 29, 2023 8:09 PM

Apr 2012
HatsuneYugi39 said:
Oh cool
>Announcement thread is mainly brainrotted discussion of, "Is this a yuri!?!11?"

Do I need to say that now ANY show with female protagonists has a " Is this a yuri!?!11? " theme in the middle of a discussion? People on manga resources even joke about it.
Jun 29, 2023 10:53 PM

Jul 2015
HatsuneYugi39 said:
Oh cool

Sad state of affairs. We should have gatekeeped anime way harder.

Jun 30, 2023 9:12 AM

Jan 2020
This whole thread reminds me why active MAL Forum users are some brainlets bro lmfao.
*generic image of favorite characters with a sappy quote or "aesthetics"*

Mecha Anime/Manga/VN Tier List

Anime/Manga/VN Tier List
Jul 18, 2023 5:07 PM
Jul 2017
For all of the weirdos going "omggg is this yuri???" please...just go touch some goddamn grass
This is a story about the horrors of war, there are bonds between the girls as they struggle for survival but it's not cute lesbian fetish bait, if you're coming here expecting girl kissage you're going to be sorely mistaken

More topics from this board

» Voice Actor Takeo Ootsuka Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

10 by _Ako_ »»
3 hours ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Unveils Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - May 28

3 by DafuqBOOM »»
7 hours ago

» Visual Novel '9' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 29

16 by nachomaxo1 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Ninja Batman tai Yakuza League' Sequel Anime Movie Announced

Hyperion_PS - May 30

3 by Swagernator »»
11 hours ago

» 'Natsume Yuujinchou' TV Anime Gets Seventh Season ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Jun 30, 2023

50 by Royal_Devils1 »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.