Forum Settings
Forums
She and Her Cat
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 4, 2012 5:41 AM

Aug 2010
A very touching short story. Loved it.
May 8, 2012 5:42 PM
Jun 6, 2012 8:47 AM

Mar 2011
Flarona said:
I thought I'd write my translation of the shortfilm. It looks like Makoto Shinkai himself wasn't thinking any of this when he made this film, but he might be hiding his reasons just like I would, if I ever wrote or drew something that had something from my own experience.

"Kanojo" means "she" and "girlfriend". Somehow, "girlfriend and her cat" sounds like "my girlfriend and me, who she thinks is as cute as a cat but nothing else." Remember that he claims she is his girlfriend, but he is just a pet to her. Actually in his earlier film, too, one half of the dating couple doubts that the other isn't serious.

I decided to concentrate and rewatch this as many times as necessary when I noticed that the subtitle was "Their standing points." We can clearly hear and understand her cat's point of view, but what about hers? I dug in and might have overanalyzed the 5 minutes because I decided that the cat was a man, and here's what I saw. It's so long that I put it under spoiler tag and I'm sure everyone would like to have their own pov, too.

I visited the page for this shortfilm after analyzing it. Makoto Shinkai says that his first films were black-and-white because it reduced the work needed for them even a little bit. There are 3D, photos, animation, plot, script, voice acting, special effects, fading, sound effects... All done and collected by him, except the music and Her voice. The result looks good because he did it all seriously, really aiming for the adult audience. The thing he wanted to depict is loneliness in a relationship. Not your fantasy story, huh. :D

The outline of the plot, originally written in Japanese by Shinkai-sensei himself:

// Oh, and I gave it a 4 but it could've been a 3 as well. It was nice, but maybe just a bit too true for me to love it. I used to have a "cat" around. ._.'

I know this is old as hell, but it's pretty clear most people don't even read threads before posts and probably missed it so it hardly matters. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but still impressive as hell. Makes a lot of good points. Definitely one of the better alternative views I've ever seen on a ambiguous film.
Jun 24, 2012 8:04 PM

Apr 2012
I was expecting a sad turn but what I got from the ending (they simultaneously say "This world.. I think we like it"?) - it seems she's just getting on with life, probably helped by the company given by the cat. They support each other just by virtue of being there, so I don't think he's being abandoned, at least I hope not :V

^I'm the sort that usually does skim other posts but try not to spend longer than the duration of the anime doing so :P The second spoiler section pretty much sums up what I thought though
Aug 4, 2012 10:19 PM

Jul 2012
I thought it was okay. Nothing too special. You can watch it if you want, but you'll live life even without watching this. Doesn't make an impact really.
Aug 24, 2012 4:22 AM

Jan 2012
It was awesome. I didn't have high expectations for a 5 minute episode, but I was wrong.

Oct 7, 2012 6:06 AM

Feb 2011
5 minutes worth-watch.

It makes me sad how the girl is living alone :( but the cat touched me with her narration of concerned to his secret lover.
Mar 8, 2013 6:18 PM

May 2012
To my surprise this was actually quite interesting, a good take on story in that short amount of time where you can bring over emotions to the viewer but still with the monotone voice over that sort to seems be the cat...

Yea this is quite impressive!
Jun 22, 2013 7:33 AM
Jul 2018

Not bad.
I wasn't moved into tears.
Jan 2, 2014 7:00 PM
Jul 2013
The narrative of him, does it very well and the episode in black and white, was a nice touch.
Feb 26, 2014 10:31 PM
Jan 2014
I really liked this. The cat's voice was beautiful. 8/10.
moving on.
Mar 6, 2014 7:40 PM

Aug 2013
Mmm, it sure was an interresting short. I was trying to find an hidden meaning from that ending, like she had to leave her place or something like this, but I don't think that there is. He's only a cat in love with his owner. Though, one critic I could make is that the cat was talking to the other cat female, her response were flashing too fastly, it was almost making me dizzy...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 17, 2014 1:03 AM

Nov 2011
Wow, that was definitely something. From the narrative of a cat...in 1999.

7/10. I also like the way the backgrounds were done to depict a sense of realism.
Mar 17, 2014 7:12 PM

Dec 2008
I absolutely adored this. Probably because I have a cat myself. I think it had more depth and feeling in 5 minutes than most anime have in 20+ episodes.

I'm now wondering if my cat thinks I'm his girlfriend.
Mar 17, 2014 8:06 PM

Sep 2013
Cute nothing special, but it was a good story for a 5 min ova, the bit with Mimi was funny though :P Also I liked how the whole thing was black and white.
Mar 17, 2014 8:38 PM

Aug 2012
Nothing too great but still enjoyable for a 5 min OVA.
Mar 17, 2014 9:12 PM

Jul 2012
Nice, short 5 minute animation here. :3
I liked it all, the genres don't make sense to me....or maybe I didn't feel the psychological feeling in this anime.
Oh well, overall really good animation though. :3
Mar 17, 2014 10:23 PM

Aug 2012
Random and boring O_o
Mar 18, 2014 7:19 AM

Oct 2011
Short and simple with a deep meaning.
Mar 24, 2014 2:07 AM

May 2010
Flarona said:
I thought I'd write my translation of the shortfilm. It looks like Makoto Shinkai himself wasn't thinking any of this when he made this film, but he might be hiding his reasons just like I would, if I ever wrote or drew something that had something from my own experience.

"Kanojo" means "she" and "girlfriend". Somehow, "girlfriend and her cat" sounds like "my girlfriend and me, who she thinks is as cute as a cat but nothing else." Remember that he claims she is his girlfriend, but he is just a pet to her. Actually in his earlier film, too, one half of the dating couple doubts that the other isn't serious.

I decided to concentrate and rewatch this as many times as necessary when I noticed that the subtitle was "Their standing points." We can clearly hear and understand her cat's point of view, but what about hers? I dug in and might have overanalyzed the 5 minutes because I decided that the cat was a man, and here's what I saw. It's so long that I put it under spoiler tag and I'm sure everyone would like to have their own pov, too.

I visited the page for this shortfilm after analyzing it. Makoto Shinkai says that his first films were black-and-white because it reduced the work needed for them even a little bit. There are 3D, photos, animation, plot, script, voice acting, special effects, fading, sound effects... All done and collected by him, except the music and Her voice. The result looks good because he did it all seriously, really aiming for the adult audience. The thing he wanted to depict is loneliness in a relationship. Not your fantasy story, huh. :D

The outline of the plot, originally written in Japanese by Shinkai-sensei himself:

// Oh, and I gave it a 4 but it could've been a 3 as well. It was nice, but maybe just a bit too true for me to love it. I used to have a "cat" around. ._.'

Wow... You sure paid some extreme attention to it, I respect you for that. Great interpretation ^^

Great short ova. I loved it, 9/10

EDIT - Now I know which site the 6-7 people, who've commented before me, use to watch anime :p
Mar 28, 2014 7:22 AM

Jun 2011
It was rather meh, I didn't like the voice (Lol Shinkai Makoto voice acting, but I see it's not his first).
Shoujo_Q said:

My thoughts:
This is simply the best animated short that I have ever seen, Japanese or otherwise.
I was moved nearly to tears, especially by the last 'section' (She and Her Cat).

You should watch Tsumiki no Ie.

Flarona said:

Can't really say if those points are legit, but good job nonetheless.
ToG25thBaamMar 28, 2014 7:34 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 4, 2014 7:16 AM

Nov 2010
Cute short from 1999
Only lacking color
Apr 11, 2014 2:56 PM

Aug 2013
Amazing! I really enjoyed watching this! The minimalist atmosphere and soothing narration tie together so well! Literally watched it 3 times in a row! Got me thinking philosophical!
May 19, 2014 1:26 AM

Aug 2013
hipster sh**
Jul 12, 2014 3:22 AM

Oct 2013
was ok for me I give it a 5/10 average score
5layer said:
Arrnea said:
I was moved nearly to tears, especially by the last 'section' (She and Her Cat).
lol you're joking right?
I was moved almost to sleep.

^lmao this guy knows it
[/quote]
Oct 9, 2014 9:47 PM

Oct 2013
Flarona said:

Your interpretation was multifold more entertaining than the actual film. In fact, it almost makes me want to give it a decent score. Maybe, but nah.

Maybe this is just too highbrow for me. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 7, 2014 7:45 AM

Jul 2012
Aina-Chan said:
So.. what did you guys think of this? I thought this was pretty good for like 5 minutes and it didn't bore me at all. I liked the narration and how Chobi's life was.

me too!!~
not bored at all, we watch in point of view as a cat.. remember that~

Oct 1, 2015 1:32 PM

Jun 2014
very interesting little short, 8/10
:3
Mar 11, 2016 10:50 AM

Sep 2013
Cats = Humans

Poor little cat he was with probably got dumped :'( that's the real tragedy.
Mar 11, 2016 9:18 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Short and sweet, it kept my attention and it left me wanting more. Luckily there's a new series for that.

4/5
Mar 25, 2016 4:04 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was sad. Damn.
Mar 27, 2016 7:23 PM

Feb 2014
Very short, but pretty good. The animation was pretty meh but the rest of it I liked. The kitties were cute, and the narrative was interesting! 8/10.

tbh I like Everything Flows better though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2016 12:52 AM

Feb 2014
I didn't even know Makoto Shinaki voiced Chobi! His voice is really nice, and the short was really calming and sweet by itself.
Apr 1, 2016 4:58 PM

Feb 2013
I was not expecting it to be from the cat's perspective.
Nicely done.
Apr 2, 2016 12:56 AM

Sep 2015
Watched this after Everything flows. This wasn't bad, everything was animated well except the cats.......and he was the MC lol. It was decent I'd give it a 6/10
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Apr 3, 2016 2:21 PM

Mar 2012
I don't think I get it. I felt like I missed some sort of hidden message behind it. Eh. It was ok.
Apr 9, 2016 7:14 AM

Dec 2012
Simple & sweet just the way I like it.
Apr 26, 2016 9:32 AM

Jun 2014
I liked the black and white animation. Makoto Shinkai's voice was really soothing here.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jun 3, 2016 7:42 AM

Sep 2014
It was Good. Short n Sweet.
Jul 28, 2016 1:03 PM

Jan 2014
I watched Everything Flows first too, and liked it a bit better.

This one has more godly animation though, at least the first minute has. It also shows some key elements that Shinkai would further develop for his later productions, most notably "rain".

Story wise it matches Kotonoha as well, even if half the couple is a cat. Would be quite something if Miyu and Yukino were actually the same person!
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Nov 28, 2016 3:06 AM

Nov 2016
It was relaxing I guess but I wouldn't say it had more meaning than anime with 20+ episodes. Good 5 minute time waster though 5/10
Pixel_VapourNov 28, 2016 4:22 AM
Jun 2, 2017 2:54 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
xD That was pretty cute. Love the cat's simple face. 7/10
Aug 15, 2017 12:23 AM

Apr 2016
As expected from Makoto Shinkai, there was an air of loneliness...and nature was incorporated, like the grass, snow, rain... The weather could truly effect or reflect one’s emotions. </3

Since this story was narrated by Chobi, I think it makes sense for us to not know very much about She, his owner. Chobi is not with She 24/7, and she probably doesn't come home to tell him many details about her life, so it makes sense for our knowledge of her to be limited. We see or know what Chobi tells us about She – she's gentle, and cares for him. It was nice of She, when she brought Chobi home. I think having Chobi may She's side, comforted her and even lessened her loneliness...

Initially, we see that someone (her boyfriend?) called She, but she wasn't at home to pick it up. When we do see She on the phone later, she cried... Perhaps, all of this time, She has been doing her best to live an ordinary life, to avoid the confrontation she would have had with the person on the phone, which she eventually had and led her to tears... If, during the time She found Chobi, was when she was not at home and didn’t pick up the phone, then it makes sense for her cat to not know about the caller. Maybe She had a long-distance relationship, which was why the caller never visited her home? Or, maybe She and the caller had a broken relationship, to the point where they didn’t have the courage to see each other face-to-face to talk? Chobi doesn’t know, so we won’t know either. X(

I don't think She abandoned Chobi, because all of her belongings are still in the apartment. She is seen as a responsible person, since she always made sure to get ready and go to work in the morning. I doubt She would abandon Chobi, especially without a reason, because she might as well not pick him up in the first place… I think She went on the train to head to work, and continue her routine, regardless of how lonely she feels. It's actually sad that we've never seen She smile, or interact with people... :(

I'm not a fan of the narration either, since I found it a little rushed... But I do like the simplicity. This situation could happen to anyone. Shinkai's attention to little details in our daily lives, and common emotions such as loneliness, are always a joy to see. :) I think this was a good anime that expressed what was necessary.

Btw, what do you think the significance of Mimi was? Chobi was very devoted to She, which is why he wasn’t eager to marry or have a deep relationship with Mimi, despite the two dating… Since She is outside, working during the day, maybe She doesn’t know about Mimi’s existence..?
Oct 23, 2017 1:37 AM

May 2016
Pretty good for 5 minutes 7/10
Nov 6, 2017 5:47 PM

Dec 2016
I don't know whether to laugh at the funny scenes or be depressed at pretty much everything else lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 7, 2018 4:29 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Unnecessarily moody. The cat is a doodle compared to everything else. MEH.
Aug 28, 2018 5:24 AM

Dec 2016
I don't want my meow meow to RIP ;_;
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jan 10, 2019 8:11 PM

Oct 2015
Liked that the cat found the girlfriend in Mimi. I wonder what the girl crying for after the phone call?

Liked the black and white story telling, 6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 29, 2021 12:04 AM

Feb 2020
Kinda cute and emotional. Miau. ^_^
Oct 11, 2021 1:07 PM
Oct 2020
Can anyone tell me where to watch this
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» New Anime Based On Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko?

OffColfax - Jan 6, 2016

4 by QuattroVaginas »»
Jan 7, 2016 11:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.