Forum Settings
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 3, 2015 7:36 AM

Dec 2014
Up until Tartaros, Simon was the one unlucky bastard to get killed. But so far not a single member of Fairy Tail has died. I for one really wish Hiro Mashima would take the story in that direction.
The story has steadily matured with increasing degrees of consequence, but not quite to the point of death, and I wish he would.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 3, 2015 7:42 AM

Oct 2013
Gray hands down.
Apr 3, 2015 7:44 AM

Dec 2014
Behemoth11 said:
Gray hands down.

Haha, the anti-hero Gray not working for you? xD
Apr 3, 2015 7:45 AM

Jun 2011
Story can still be good without killing off characters. I personally wouldn't want any of them to die.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 3, 2015 9:13 AM
Mar 2015
gray cant die he is literally the authors chracter
Apr 3, 2015 9:18 AM

Mar 2015
I wouldn't mind everyone dying tbh

Killing off characters is not the problem,forcing them into near death situations and pretending that they are about to die,but then save them everytime by the infamous nakama power,is a problem.
Apr 3, 2015 9:19 AM

Jan 2012
makarov needs to die how old is he

Apr 3, 2015 9:44 AM

Dec 2014
HeroKenzan said:
I wouldn't mind everyone dying tbh

Killing off characters is not the problem,forcing them into near death situations and pretending that they are about to die,but then save them everytime by the infamous nakama power,is a problem.

This. This. This.

I feel like the author wants to create these tense and emotional situations, he just doesn't know how to follow through.
Tartaros spoilers:
[spoiler]
I actually felt pretty sad for Natsu when Igneel had died, but I felt almost nothing throughout the rest of the arc because you know everyone is going to come out the other side A-OK!
Aquarius, also a little sad, but still nothing compared to an actual death.
Apr 3, 2015 9:45 AM

Jul 2007
You mean except for at least 10+ characters who already died?

Oh wait "they do not count", riiight.
Apr 3, 2015 9:48 AM
Feb 2014
makarov should die

Apr 3, 2015 9:51 AM

Apr 2014
No they shouldn't. I don't want this to turn into Akame ga kill.
Apr 3, 2015 9:55 AM

Dec 2012
Z4k said:
No they shouldn't. I don't want this to turn into Akame ga kill.

Flawed point of view. No need for only two extremes. It can kill characters, without overdoing it.
Apr 3, 2015 10:50 AM

Dec 2014
CookingPriest said:
You mean except for at least 10+ characters who already died?

Oh wait "they do not count", riiight.

10+ who have already died? Really?

These are the deaths for characters that we see more than five lines of dialogue from:

So, assuming you read my original question, what Fairy Tail member has died? Not a single one. Yet every single arc tries to create situations where the characters seem like they won't make it.
Either someone uses Nakama to power up, or help arrives in the nick of time, or they are injured to the brink of death, but a little bit of sleep and they're fine.

When you successfully defeat all but one of the major villains in the world, villains from other worlds, and even some from the past/future, you really ought to have incurred more than one casualty.
Apr 3, 2015 11:02 AM

Dec 2012
TheHonestThief said:

When you successfully defeat all but one of the major villains in the world, villains from other worlds, and even some from the past/future, you really ought to have incurred more than one casualty.

Not really. In a series like FT, death of relevant characters is not that needed, it doesn't fit the tone of the series. They should just stop putting them in near death situations, where they miracliously survive, same as one piece, for example.

I don't mean this to come off as a personal attack, but SnK, actually has a death theme, and set in a bleak world, yet no relevant characters, with a good amount of screen time dies. Mostly fodder. Unless that changed from where I put the manga on hold.
Apr 3, 2015 12:05 PM

Dec 2014
tsudecimo said:
TheHonestThief said:

Not really. In a series like FT, death of relevant characters is not that needed, it doesn't fit the tone of the series. They should just stop putting them in near death situations, where they miracliously survive, same as one piece, for example.

I don't mean this to come off as a personal attack, but SnK, actually has a death theme, and set in a bleak world, yet no relevant characters, with a good amount of screen time dies. Mostly fodder. Unless that changed from where I put the manga on hold.

I am not saying I need Natsu, Lucy, Erza, or Gray to die. But this manga is continually adding a darker tone to the show. The Tartaros arc in particular showed some characters that were genuinely evil, relishing in the death and pain they caused. Fairy Tail could have a mature tone, but it doesn't want to commit.

Yeah, SnK has a death theme, and I love it. I don't need every show/manga I watch/read to have that theme, but Fairy Tail is walking that line without committing, and that is the worst possible scenario. Commit to the death/serious theme, or avoid it.
Apr 4, 2015 4:59 AM

Jul 2007
Not to mention DEATH =/= Consequences.

Cheap mangaka tend to kill off random characters to set up grimderp tone, but what really is needed is consequence.

FT has not really "won" in last few arcs.
Tenrou Island ended with a loss
GMG ended with a loss and one person's sacrifice BARELY managing to save everyone's butts.
Tartaros ended with pretty much everyone being completely destroyed mentally.
Apr 4, 2015 5:01 AM

May 2014
Natsu
plz kill him or kill his VA irl
i would be happy either way ~~
Apr 4, 2015 9:08 AM

Dec 2014
CookingPriest said:
Not to mention DEATH =/= Consequences.

Cheap mangaka tend to kill off random characters to set up grimderp tone, but what really is needed is consequence.

FT has not really "won" in last few arcs.
Tenrou Island ended with a loss
GMG ended with a loss and one person's sacrifice BARELY managing to save everyone's butts.
Tartaros ended with pretty much everyone being completely destroyed mentally.

Really? When people are fighting, you don't think death is an appropriate consequence? Tenrou was most definitely a win for FT. Acnologia came and wrecked house after they had defeated Grimoire Heart. GMG was not a loss. ONE person sacrificed a good portion of her life to save some 6-8 lives, not including those who used that one minute to gain an upper hand in the battle. But I did say Ultear was one of the few who has had to pay a consequence. Tartaros ended with a few people being sad, that's not destroyed mentally.

You have a very naive perspective when it comes to consequence. In a world filled with tumultuous fighting where the threat of death is featured in nearly every battle, death should be a consequence. You say death is a cheap feature to set up a "grimderp" tone, but FT makes that worse by having the characters feel like they could all die, but we the audience know they will undoubtedly all survive.
May 29, 2015 9:47 PM

Jun 2013

Really? When people are fighting, you don't think death is an appropriate consequence? Tenrou was most definitely a win for FT. Acnologia came and wrecked house after they had defeated Grimoire Heart. GMG was not a loss. ONE person sacrificed a good portion of her life to save some 6-8 lives, not including those who used that one minute to gain an upper hand in the battle. But I did say Ultear was one of the few who has had to pay a consequence. Tartaros ended with a few people being sad, that's not destroyed mentally.

You have a very naive perspective when it comes to consequence. In a world filled with tumultuous fighting where the threat of death is featured in nearly every battle, death should be a consequence. You say death is a cheap feature to set up a "grimderp" tone, but FT makes that worse by having the characters feel like they could all die, but we the audience know they will undoubtedly all survive.

Ummm, this happens in almost every shounen. Characters are put in bad situation, where they need to struggle, but you know they eventually win. And there wasn't any near death battles in the series. Except GMG, where Ultear save their asses, but other than that there isn't, they just have that struggle, that every shounen has.
Tartaros Arc challenged them the most. They saw their limits and it was the arc they struggled the most. I don't want this to be like DBZ, where a character dies, but we have the dragon balls, so it's fine, because they'll be back.
May 30, 2015 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
Wouldn't want any of them to die. Couldn't hurt to kill someone off though.
May 30, 2015 5:01 PM

Dec 2008
People from the guild, eh. I mean sure it'd be development but I can't say I'm too keen on it happening. Wouldn't mind Jellal dying before the series ends though.
May 30, 2015 5:19 PM
Oct 2013
Death is not inherently neccecary as long as they do not survive deadly situations through bullshit means. Like Happy´s afro.

Death can be an indicator for danger, but the Fairy Tail cast doesn´t really need it, the one character that was promised to die was Makaraov, but he´s the typical shounen cliche of old Master dying for the kids.

Sarutobi, Whitebeard, Muten Roshi, Yamamoto, every shounen has that old epic old dude.
The introduction of Warrod would make it weird though, at least in my book.

Tartaros killed off some namesless people that´s enough to show the enemie is serious, same deal with Angel durng the Oracion seis arc who had killed that love interest of the guy from Blue Pegasus no one gives a fuck about.
May 30, 2015 5:21 PM

May 2014
A major fight where someone dies as a result instead of being saved by the nakama power would be great yeah.
May 30, 2015 5:28 PM

Mar 2015
There was a vague possibility that future-Gray would kill Frosh(e) This was hinted in the old FT episodes (Time Travel/Dragon Arc) . I won't spoil but the newest chapters after the Tartaros Arc shows that the events took an other direction.

Btw: I like Frosh. He is a hero.
May 30, 2015 5:30 PM

Mar 2014
Personally, I wouldn't mind if they killed off Lisanna again. But that probably won't happen.
May 30, 2015 5:32 PM

May 2014
Helenus said:
There was a vague possibility that future-Gray would kill Frosh(e) This was hinted in the old FT episodes (Time Travel/Dragon Arc) . I won't spoil but the newest chapters after the Tartaros Arc shows that the events took an other direction.

He is so cuteeee
May 30, 2015 5:38 PM

Mar 2015
KamSung said:
Helenus said:

He is so cuteeee

Gray thinks so, too!

Topic:

I'm quite sure we will see some deaths in the upcoming arcs. But I don't think it will be characters from the main cast. Makarov seems possible (sadly).
May 30, 2015 5:40 PM

May 2014
Helenus said:
KamSung said:

He is so cuteeee

Gray thinks so, too!

Omg your forum ava perfectly describes my face when I read that part in the manga ^$^
May 31, 2015 9:30 AM
Oct 2013
Helenus said:

Topic:

I'm quite sure we will see some deaths in the upcoming arcs. But I don't think it will be characters from the main cast. Makarov seems possible (sadly).

There will not be a single death for Fairy Tail Hiro has explained that in several interviews.
He didn´t say it explicitly, but he said Fairy tail will be a happy series and Rave didn´t have that many casualities anyway.
May 31, 2015 9:43 AM

Nov 2014
Natsu should die and erza should become mc. Also lucy should die.
May 31, 2015 11:23 AM

May 2009
As someone once in the forums said: nobody ever dies in FT, they all come back to life and join the guild. I personally think a bit of drama would benefit the thing, like then at the beginning of the GMG arc Levy was writing how some mysterious "he" had died? That got me really excited. But no, of course not.

There will not be a single death for Fairy Tail Hiro has explained that in several interviews.
He didn´t say it explicitly, but he said Fairy tail will be a happy series and Rave didn´t have that many casualities anyway.

Thats fine and all, but I feel that there is nothing at stake in the story. You know they are going to win and be just fine after the battle. I'll eat my hat if Lucy doesnt find a way to restore Aquarius' key, or even better, manages to summon her by will.
May 31, 2015 12:58 PM
May 2015
omeg4 said:
Natsu should die and erza should become mc. Also lucy should die.

Isn't Natsu like a zombie anyway?
May 31, 2015 6:01 PM
Oct 2013
Crescentgenisi said:

Isn't Natsu like a zombie anyway?

I´m pretty sure Hiro will come up with an excuse how he wasn´t actually dead.

Remember Jellal? Jellal was "dead". Yes but you see he wasn´t really dead, cause magic and stuff.

Now Do the math!
May 31, 2015 6:18 PM

Nov 2014
Wakaba and Macao should erm.. die
makarov too.. but unlike the other two he should die heroically :P (don't think there are many wakaba and macao fans so i should be safe ;))

pretty sure purehito died along with some other grimoire.

Haven't read the tartaros arc manga yet but MINERVA SHOULD DIE!

the rest are safe :)
Jun 1, 2015 9:32 AM

Dec 2011
Well, there's nothing wrong with a well-done death, but I have my doubts that Mashima possesses the ability to write one and maintain a strong fanbase with the new direction... the most he'd do is probably kill off a random side character who hasn't really had any proper characterization. No to half-measures, right?
Jun 1, 2015 9:34 AM

Mar 2015
The only character in FT that should die is Zeref. Because he desires to die. I'm looking forward how they will solve his case.
Jun 1, 2015 9:43 AM

Jan 2010
It's not GoT, let the characters live!
Jun 1, 2015 10:47 AM

Dec 2014
Many people died in fairy tail. What is awesome about death? Does it make everything mature?
Jun 1, 2015 10:51 AM

May 2014
Are you guys forgetting about Mystogan? He died 😭😭
Jun 1, 2015 10:52 AM

Dec 2008
KamSung said:

??????
No he didn't? He's in Edolas.
Jun 1, 2015 10:53 AM

May 2014
sarroush said:
KamSung said:

??????

Well he died in the story *~*
'Dieing' as in 'to get rid of', they got rid of Mystogan in FT 😔
Jun 1, 2015 1:01 PM

Nov 2014
KamSung said:
sarroush said:

??????

Well he died in the story *~*
'Dieing' as in 'to get rid of', they got rid of Mystogan in FT 😔

nah. Still not dead. Jellal poses as him during the magic games arc and a few references to the real being in edolas is mentioned.

who knows, mashima might bring him back in some way.

I guess a lot of side characters have died without much light shining on them (remember rob from the tower of heaven). Etc
Jun 1, 2015 2:08 PM
May 2015
What about Markarov dying during next arc because 7 is important in this series and Erza as the 7th master is huge for the plot.
It would be A changing point....

Not to be cold hearted but he the only character that I could see hiro killing while still making urban happy series.

Although this would break my heart for Natsu, lucy, and gray who lost their dads recently.

I don't see him being important in future storylines. Ever since tenyou island, he has become more of a character of intrigue/mystery (holder of fairy tails darkest secrets) than the great master who easily defeated Jose. Plus would he let his kids fight achjologia/zerif/end alone? Yet he is way outclassed there. Also He is an older character that has live a good life and there have been 2-3 times he has almost died already.

It would still be more emotional than killing of a random side character or a new character. And his death would probably serve as a reason for a power up in our characters to defeat the latest bad guy.

He could be developed more in fairy tail zero/new spinoff with his team/group of bob, the pink haired girl and the others.
Jun 1, 2015 6:59 PM
May 2015
I see it like this. It's not that people from the guild won't die it's the teasing Hiro does. If he stopped doing that then everything would be better

But let's not feed the "omgz did manga has so much deaths!! Soo dark and maturz!" Uhh no

If characters need to die it better be someone serious to plot and matter. For example Igneel and Aquarius(not truly dead). Don't need characters killed for the sake of being killed to prove to people their series is "dark and mature"
Jun 12, 2015 6:36 PM

Jan 2015
I think Makarov will die sometime soon.

I also have money on

Laxus or Freed

Gildarts

Jellal (Mashima just be lookin' for a more badass way to kill him off

Not so sure about Mira and Cobra,
Jun 13, 2015 5:35 AM
Oct 2013
3DChaos said:
I think Makarov will die sometime soon.

I also have money on

Laxus or Freed

Gildarts

Jellal (Mashima just be lookin' for a more badass way to kill him off

Not so sure about Mira and Cobra,

Jellal is confirmed to be in the safe zone, he apologized for Siegheart in Rave and deemed that specific guy´s death a mistake which is why he was recycled in Fairy Tail.
Jun 15, 2015 8:03 AM

May 2015
They already have, Simon, Hades/prechet and everyone on board with him. The only people that don't die are the ones the fairy tail members themselves fight but Zeref's and Jellal have both killed characters as well as in torturous the whole magic council got killed in a wicked cool explosion by that badass Jackal. A lot of people have died in the series if you count the ones from those unseen raids by Hades and Deloria etc. People die on this series it just happens unscene or not in a gruesome way because this is not that type of series like ultear and Igneel.

Also I don't think they should die as frequently as they do like Igneel he should have stayed alive so he and Natsu can at least spend some time together in bliss

Oh yeah except Lucy she can just drop dead for all care, who knows maybe for once her character won't be useless when she dies but besides her not fairy tail members can die.

Super-Chao said:
Wakaba and Macao should erm.. die
makarov too.. but unlike the other two he should die heroically :P (don't think there are many wakaba and macao fans so i should be safe ;))

pretty sure purehito died along with some other grimoire.

Haven't read the tartaros arc manga yet but MINERVA SHOULD DIE!

the rest are safe :)

wakkaba and Macao are cool as wizards and died dint do that to Romeo and I like their characters their funny and still pretty strong compared to normal everyday wizards.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.

Mod Edit2: Removed baiting.
_Ghost_Jun 15, 2015 9:00 AM
I am the King, address me as anything less and face the wrath of The Emperor Supreme King
Jun 15, 2015 8:14 AM

May 2015
Yes if more people die it wouldnt be shit
Jun 15, 2015 8:15 AM

May 2015
Crescentgenisi said:
What about Markarov dying during next arc because 7 is important in this series and Erza as the 7th master is huge for the plot.

Not to be cold hearted but he the only character that I could see hiro killing while still making urban happy series.

Although this would break my heart for Natsu, lucy, and gray who lost their dads recently.

I don't see him being important in future storylines. Ever since tenyou island, he has become more of a character of intrigue/mystery (holder of fairy tails darkest secrets) than the great master who easily defeated Jose. Plus would he let his kids fight achjologia/zerif/end alone? Yet he is way outclassed there. Also He is an older character that has live a good life and there have been 2-3 times he has almost died already.

It would still be more emotional than killing of a random side character or a new character. And his death would probably serve as a reason for a power up in our characters to defeat the latest bad guy.

He could be developed more in fairy tail zero/new spinoff with his team/group of bob, the pink haired girl and the others.

Who the fuck care about Lucy she needs to get over it plus she is fucking annoying and useless she is the only character that can drop dead and actually make the series better you don't know how happy I was when future Lucy died I was thinking, I can't wait for this to happen to Lucy, and I'm still waiting and about gramps I think he will be the 8th cuz during Grand Magic Games in anime at least he and Mavis were joking on how they couldn't remeber which master number he was and said 8th instead of 6th also as seen in chapter 440 Erza has to be the worst GM in exsinestense so if gramps dies Laxus or Gildarts better be made GM next.

Helenus said:
The only character in FT that should die is Zeref. Because he desires to die. I'm looking forward how they will solve his case.

I still think the final boss will be the so called god that cursed him and I esspecially don't think Natsu will be able to kill him after he finds out Zeref's full name

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
_Ghost_Jun 15, 2015 8:58 AM
I am the King, address me as anything less and face the wrath of The Emperor Supreme King
Jun 15, 2015 1:21 PM
May 2015
KingAce261 said:
Crescentgenisi said:

Who the fuck care about Lucy she needs to get over it plus she is fucking annoying and useless she is the only character that can drop dead and actually make the series better you don't know how happy I was when future Lucy died I was thinking, I can't wait for this to happen to Lucy, and I'm still waiting and about gramps I think he will be the 8th cuz during Grand Magic Games in anime at least he and Mavis were joking on how they couldn't remeber which master number he was and said 8th instead of 6th also as seen in chapter 440 Erza has to be the worst GM in exsinestense so if gramps dies Laxus or Gildarts better be made GM next.i]

Who cares? Apparently the author does because fairy tail is a fairy tale masquerading as a shonen

It's about a prince who finds his princess and will in the end slay a dragon.................... With help from his merry band of misfits.............. Nothing in this story has deviated from this path thus far.....

Natsu = haru while Layla or Mavis or both is reisha and lucy is Ellie

And....
I will agree on the 8th thing because I posted on one if the chapter discussions about markarov not being the 7th because he was 6th but he could be 8th because of what Mavis said in the gmg

And then......

If erza is going on the mission, she might in the end concede succession to laxus if Markarov dies because in the tenrou arc specifically Markarov mentioned about his successor and you saw a frame of laxus and then laxus returned at the end......... Idk.... Maybe a troll moment.... But I was happy erza was getting out of the picture as master... Was waiting for a new team...... So if she is not..... Better to give the gm title to someone deserving....
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 291 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

VK11 - Jul 12, 2012

201 by aod-kun »»
Today, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 287 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zhou - Jun 15, 2012

96 by aod-kun »»
May 2, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 285 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IchiroEX - Jun 1, 2012

84 by aod-kun »»
May 2, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 284 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dancu - May 25, 2012

163 by aod-kun »»
May 2, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 275 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DuroDeMatar - Mar 16, 2012

52 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 6:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.