Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2014 7:26 AM

Mar 2013
Greetings.

Currently, when posting a comment in any club, it doesn't add towards the overall comment count which is displayed on the profile. However, if one makes a post in the club's forum board, the forum post is recorded and is summed up to the overall forum post count. The comments there are comments like those between the users. Therefore, either make the comments submitted in the clubs add to the overall count, or remove the forum posts made there from adding up.

Thank you for reading; please, do share your thoughts on the matter.

Yes, I know how things run code-wise on MyAnimeList.net, no need to make extra posts regarding that.
Jul 29, 2014 9:18 AM

Oct 2009
The post count doesn't matter, what's your deal?
koleareJul 30, 2014 3:49 AM
Jul 29, 2014 9:37 AM

Mar 2013
It's not about the post count - it could be anything else. It just so happens that the matter leads to the post count, but I would still want the same rule for both, the comments and forum posts. If one contributes and adds, so should the other. That, or neither.
Jul 29, 2014 9:43 AM

Nov 2010
Both or None

No, I'm ok with one.
Jul 29, 2014 10:13 AM

Mar 2013
Well, I'm not. There has to be some sort of consistency present.
Jul 29, 2014 10:38 AM

Oct 2009
Subpyro said:
Well, I'm not. There has to be some sort of consistency present.

No, I support inconsistency. Actually I think the naming of anime on MAL should become inconsistent again. We already have AniDB that has consisting naming system, what for do we need two?
Jul 29, 2014 10:43 AM

Mar 2013
I really hope you're being sarcastic. Because you're Serhiyko, I can never know for sure.
Jul 29, 2014 1:04 PM

Oct 2009
No I am serious. I really loved it when Ookami to Koushinryou was Spice and Wolf, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu was Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi was Spirited Away etc. and they just used the most popular or some random title as main. Whenever I wanted consistency, I just went to AniDB with their Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (uhh...)
Jul 29, 2014 2:05 PM

Mar 2013
I actually understand you and can relate to that, but c'mon man, default anime titles and this idea have pretty much nothing in common. This is the type of consistency that would be good, IMHO. What you've pointed out is something that made the display less wanted overall, but I don't think this would. There is no reason for it, as far as I see.
Jul 29, 2014 2:55 PM

Oct 2009
Subpyro said:
I actually understand you and can relate to that, but c'mon man, default anime titles and this idea have pretty much nothing in common.

Yes but I think your idea is either useless or of very minor importance so I decided that even if I derail the thread there would be no harm anyway
Jul 29, 2014 2:58 PM

Feb 2012
Seems reasonable. Never gonna happen though.
Jul 30, 2014 8:26 PM

Feb 2013
coments are made with the MAL account, and forum posts are made with the forum account; they are different from each other

also there is no "comment count" on the profile, unless you mean the counter for comments on your profile, or the forum post counter
Jul 30, 2014 11:08 PM

Oct 2009
romagia said:
coments are made with the MAL account, and forum posts are made with the forum account; they are different from each other

That's a very good observation
Jul 31, 2014 2:22 AM

Mar 2013
romagia said:

also there is no "comment count" on the profile, unless you mean the counter for comments on your profile, or the forum post counter

Mind sharing how at all is your post connected to the topic? You've just stated some "facts" and did not agree nor disagree with the idea whatsoever. As for your second line in specific, it seems you know exactly what I meant. But let me say it again just in case. Comment count is the number shown on one user's profile. Comment counter is a system that counts it. What you are displayed to is a count. But it really doesn't matter what we call it.

So, mind sharing if you agree/disagree with the idea and why? Sorry to say, but your comment is kind of "off".
Jul 31, 2014 2:49 AM

Dec 2011
The club forums are actually a part of the forums - just that they aren't linked to from the main forum page.
There is no such connection between people's profile pages and the club comment sections. They don't even function in the same way.

I think that's the point that romagia is trying to make. And if it isn't then it should be.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 31, 2014 2:58 AM

Mar 2013
That makes it more reasonable. Yeah, the club forums are a part of the main forums. Basically, they are their own board. And indeed, the club comments have no direct relation to the profile comments. However, that is only as far as we look at the inner construction. If we look at the picture from the user's side, the club consists of both the comments section and the forums section. Therefore, why should posting in one add towards the overall whole and one not?

So, if we put ourselves into the user's shoes, some sort of consistency would be good. Now, either make the comments made in clubs count towards the overall count, or do the exact opposite which would most likely be even easier: disable the posts made in the club board from counting up to the overall. The forum games board already has such a restriction set, it would only have to be set on the club board as well. We could further connect that to the matter of the forum post count actually having a meaning, due to this way, we could prevent the secret club activity, etc. but that's a topic of it's own.

In other words, the suggestion stays, as I anticipated such an argument and did think about it beforehand. Yet, it doesn't seem like something that should decline the idea.
Aug 1, 2014 11:49 AM
Jul 2014
Serhiyko said:

Yes but I think your idea is either useless or of very minor importance so I decided that even if I derail the thread there would be no harm anyway

Huh, i may make notes for certain individuals as yourself then.
Anyway, i do agree that Subpyro's Idea is of very minor importance.

Subpyro said:
Yeah, the club forums are a part of the main forums. Basically, they are their own board. And indeed, the club comments have no direct relation to the profile comments.

I'd argue that the consistency you speak of is already in place. The Club Forum adds to the post count, as is with the Forum. I do see direct relation to profile comments and club comments, both do not add to your own post count

From my perspective you are trying to shift the consistency for your own benefit.
Aug 1, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2013
First off, let me clear the matter of importance. I've never said this is anything major or that it should be of top priory - it is simply a suggestion, the size doesn't matter. As long as the Suggestions forum board exists, I believe I have all the right to suggest anything, reasonable and not reasonable alike. I will, however, try and go for the former.

Truth be told, AAAsian, I don't understand what you mean. Try putting your argument in different words? From the way I just read your comment, it seems you believe that the profile comments nor the club comments contribute towards the overall comment count. That is incorrect - the profile comments do add towards the overall. Furthermore, I'm not trying to benefit myself only in any way. I don't even see how this could be a personal benefit at all. What I'm trying to pursuit is consistency, and your post doesn't explain your point when you say that the current way is already consistent, and that this idea would make in inconsistent. Long story short, please, do try to explain your reasoning again, because I do not understand.
Aug 2, 2014 6:42 AM

Mar 2010
I wouldn't mind having those stats in my panel area, just for curiosity. I'm sure many would like to know as well; Its just not mentioned a lot.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.