Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Aug 14, 2020 9:14 PM

Apr 2020
The most "anime death" death ever
Aug 19, 2020 6:09 PM

Aug 2017
Hughes death makes sense but its not sad since he didn't have much development as a character and it doesn't help that most of his interactions turned out to be comic relief. Kinda weird that they never killed the receptionist and wtf that no one of their subordinates following him after saying where he was going.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 30, 2020 1:21 PM
Aug 2020
that was so sad :( rip Maes Hughes
Nov 9, 2020 8:08 PM

Jul 2017
Great and melancholic episode to say the least. Seeing Hughes dying like that and the funeral always gives me chills. The original anime did a much better job with the whole thing that really did make Hughes' passing feel more painful and the music was better there but for a compact summary of what happened at the start, this portion was handled very well for one episode.
Nov 15, 2020 11:50 PM

Jul 2020
I didn't even know Hughes that much but I still feel sad
Jan 12, 2021 5:50 AM

Mar 2020
Yep, this episode broke me. I never knew an anime could make me feel this many damn EMOTIONS!

So wow... what an episode. I literally had to just take a break after this.
NOW WATCHING: Blue Exorcist (Season 3), Bucchigiri?!, Bungou Stray Dogs (Season 2), Delicious in Dungeon, and Mashle (Season 2)

Jan 31, 2021 10:33 AM
Dec 2020
omg a few tears fell when his daughter was asking why are they putting dirt on him. I really loved him. He was one of my favorite characters. The way the emotions were laid out were amazing. Especially the roy mustang scene
Feb 11, 2021 10:02 PM

Jul 2020
That was unexpected General Hughes T_T
Apr 14, 2021 11:46 AM

Sep 2012
i am sure boss Cyclops is behind it all, hes the head of the army after all, the creation of the stone, its all connected to Hughes killers to
May 5, 2021 9:10 AM
Mar 2021
I did not realize how fast paced this show was going to be when I overheard my brother watching it.
Jun 27, 2021 10:35 PM

Jun 2021
his death was predictable as expected.it is so sad that hughes was eliminated soon at episode 10.
wizardevJun 27, 2021 10:41 PM
Jul 23, 2021 6:46 PM

Apr 2020
Elicia: “Papa, work hard!”
Gracie: “Come home safe!”

Me: Fuuuuuuuuuu…….
Oct 31, 2021 2:00 PM
Jun 2016
press F to pay respect
Dec 8, 2021 10:32 AM
Nov 2020
"It's a terrible day for rain..."
"But, it's not raining sir."
"Yes, it is." a single tear falls...
Feb 14, 2022 4:55 PM

Feb 2021
an okay episode, Hughes's death didn't affect me really. They could improve this a lot by avoiding using those bland chibi faces on the characters
Apr 30, 2022 4:51 AM

Jun 2019
Man... I cried in this episode. It was so sad to see my favorite character in this show die like that. That was very sad. T__T His daughter was crying and my heart was breaking.
May 5, 2022 3:24 PM
Apr 2022
Bradley appears at the hospital and warns the
Elric brothers to be careful around the military, and he then hops out of a window to evade his subordinates. Edward and Alphonse decide to go to the town of Dublith to visit their alchemy teacher, Izumi Curtis, to ask her for information about the philosopher's stone. They agree to take
Winry with them when she notices that Rush
Valley, a town best known for its automail shops, is on the way to Dublith. Hughes investigates the problems in Liore, the fifth laboratory, and the
Ishval civil war. He discovers a connection, but is then attacked by Lust. He escapes her and tries to contact Mustang with his information at a public telephone booth, only to be gunned down by Envy disguised as Ross, and then as his wife
Gracia. Hughes is posthumously promoted to the rank of a brigadier general and his murder is later investigated by Mustang, who concludes via
Armstrong that a high ranked member of the military may be responsible for the command of
Hughes' death.
May 11, 2022 8:51 PM

Jul 2017
i really liked this episode it fun very interesting and sad at the end
May 12, 2022 8:13 PM
Jan 2022
This is the worst show I ever seen, I could watch dick chopping videos and be more enjoyed than watching this show.
Jul 2, 2022 5:47 AM
Jan 2015
sadge it had to happen
Oct 13, 2022 12:14 PM

Dec 2016
BeeBeeKay said:
Bayek said:
Had to watch this side by side with the 2003 version. Honestly there's just no comparison. I love Brotherhood, but it really doesn't deliver Hughes's death to the same caliber. These early episodes really do lack the tension, buildup and emotional depth that came with the older version.
robbydesu said:
[i]However[/i] - here's the thing guys - for FMA1, I still knew in advance that Huges was going to die. It wasn't because I read the manga, but that I was spoiled by my friend (I'll never forgive him for that! "Did you get to the part when Hughes dies" my ass ugh). Regardless, I still cried and found the part really sad.
Overall, I think FMA:B is more....straightforward, they get to the point. FMA1 was just, melodramatic. I like melodramatic...but I also like how clear cut FMA is this time around.
llamaben said:
These episodes are now flowing better...
However, his death this series was lacking emotion... Can't pinpoint exactly why, but it definitely wasn't sad.

As said in the quotes above, I personally thought that something was missing in this adaptation. Don't get me wrong, it was a good episode. But Hughes death just didn't have the same emotional impact as in FMA. And since I already knew what would happen from reading the manga and watched them both on the same day, it had nothing to do with missing build-up of Hughes as a character or fond memories of watching the first series 10 years ago. I simply felt that FMA set the scene better in this episode alone and thus left a bigger impression on me.

TwistedChick said:
...and I think the really heavy dramatic score didn't help. Something with more sorrow, perhaps? I didn't feel as much as I should during this scene. =(
ToG25thBaam said:
I didn't like the sudden switch of mood.
Fapallday said:
I also feel that the random comical parts and music didnt help his death this time around.

Those were the biggest differences in terms of atmosphere that I noticed as well. The score in FMA was more fitting for the funeral scene and although some people very much liked the cut to the brothers on the train laughing and making funny faces, it ruined it a bit for me since it gave no time to let the gravity of what just happen really sink in. I'm aware that Hughes is not meant to be a main character but he was still important enough for a more serious note there.

I agree with all of you, though Roy did give me chills with his declaration of becoming Fuhrer and avenging Hughes.
Oct 15, 2022 2:12 AM
Oct 2022
Pretty good episode
Followed the manga mostly .
removed two or three things I wished they would have added , but oh well.
Either way , this was mostly a " how and why " episode.
Showed why and how the brother came to be how they are.
with Ed seeing the Truth .
then Roy meeting the brothers
Ed vowing to take 1 year to recover and him consequently being able to transmute without Circles thanks to him having seen "IT" ( and Al not remembering).
And finally Ed's Exam to become a state alchemist , where he promtly attacked Bradly who told him he still doesn't know the world xD.
Thus showing how the fuhrur gave Ed an "ironic" name : the FullMetal Alchemist.

Next week , they goin' to Liore/Reole ~

oh , and the score was pretty darn awesome. Akira Senju delivers !!
Oct 15, 2022 5:41 PM
Oct 2022
Yeah I'm feel cringe from this cartoon
Oct 16, 2022 9:59 AM
Oct 2022
It’s not my thing for sure. Even putting aside the toxic fanbase, I just don’t like it at all.
Oct 25, 2022 7:02 AM

Jul 2021
i knew he was gonna die when they were showing him with his family this much :/

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 17, 2023 10:45 AM
Jan 2023
best but outdated and should be retired. let the new anime topped the rating.👍
Feb 5, 2023 6:19 PM

Mar 2022
God why? Why did it have to be Hughes? He was such a great character and yet he got killed by Envy. This episode was very sad and it really hit close to home for me because of the recent deaths I've had to deal with quite recently. I was just begging and begging for Lieutenant Hughes not to be killed but of course it happened. It's pretty dark to think that while Ed, Al and Winry are enjoying themselves on their little train journey to their next destination, Mustang and Riza are just at the funeral of one of their colleagues who got murdered. I was really crying during it, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing right infront of me on my own TV screen. It was such a beautifully tragic episode. Sure it had a bits and pieces of lightheartedness to it but it was ultimately a dark episode overall.
Mar 18, 2023 4:21 AM

Oct 2022
Scarface78 said:
Yeah I'm feel cringe from this cartoon

The fact that there are no lives like you out there, who would make an alt acc just to shit talk great animes like this, is disgusting af! 🤢

👻🎃 🎃👻

Apr 18, 2023 7:10 AM
Apr 2023
Waste 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 waste
May 3, 2023 12:49 PM
Jan 2021
:(
May 9, 2023 2:59 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
One of FMAB's best episodes. For those watching this for the first time, if you're not invested by now, just leave it and don't look back.

Funerals obviously are always sad. But to have a kid there crying for her papa to return home, just makes cut deeper.

I had forgotten the one who was directly responsible for Hughes' death, and it turns out to be Envy. The wound Lust gave him probably wasn't fatal. Now I still forget if he was aware of this or not, but

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 17, 2023 9:21 PM

Oct 2022
just incredibly sad
Jul 23, 2023 12:23 AM
Jul 2019
"Mama... why are they burying papa?" I'M NOT CRYING SHUTUP
Jul 26, 2023 12:02 PM
Nov 2021
WHAT WAS THIS EPISODE????

Hughes... All he wanted was to protect his family... He was the sweetest person in the entire anime....will never be forgotten....

But Mustang's reaction to Hughes's death was so unexpected, I wouldn't have thought he would cry, but you could feel it in his expression and in his words, that all he wanted was revenge, the remains of the body of whoever killed Hughes, he just wants to char this organization with his flames. It was amazing, best episode so far without a doubt.

I feel the tension growing stronger.
The mystery, oh it's all so immersive I feel trapped watching this anime, I just can't stop watching. Everything about him catches me like I'm a fish thirsty for bait.
Jul 26, 2023 12:02 PM
Nov 2021
WHAT WAS THIS EPISODE????

Hughes... All he wanted was to protect his family... He was the sweetest person in the entire anime....will never be forgotten....

But Mustang's reaction to Hughes's death was so unexpected, I wouldn't have thought he would cry, but you could feel it in his expression and in his words, that all he wanted was revenge, the remains of the body of whoever killed Hughes, he just wants to char this organization with his flames. It was amazing, best episode so far without a doubt.

I feel the tension growing stronger.
The mystery, oh it's all so immersive I feel trapped watching this anime, I just can't stop watching. Everything about him catches me like I'm a fish thirsty for bait.
Aug 30, 2023 11:59 AM
Jan 2022
F*cking hells fire, I felt wrongly about my boy Hughs but at least I know for sure now.
Sep 9, 2023 1:02 PM
Feb 2023
YOU DID NOT

DON'T DO THAT TO ME
Nov 23, 2023 4:40 PM

Jul 2021
It's a terrible day for rain.
Nov 24, 2023 2:34 AM
Nov 2023
I thought it was bad and overrated
Dec 10, 2023 12:04 PM
Apr 2023
The animation is top-notch
Feb 1, 7:44 AM
Sep 2022
I havent got time to finish it but its good.
Feb 18, 2:08 PM
Aug 2018
markiplier died.
Mar 28, 11:59 AM

Jan 2021
I have so many things I want to say...

What I want to say the most is HOW could they kill off the most lovable character in just 10 episodes?! Like, we still have 54 episodes to go?! And no more Hughes with his jokes? So you're saying that Elycia lost the father she loved the most? T---T I can't. I watched this episode at 1am and honestly my chest felt tight. Maybe I'm overreacting, and I know that this is an important point for the story to progress, but how could they make Hughes' character so endearing just to kill him off this quickly? I will never forgive Envy for that.

I'm also reminded of the early episodes. Bradley said something about "I have a story to tell my son" or something like that when he met Ed. I didn't really suspect him at first, but after his visit to the hospital, I became suspicious... is he the "father" in question? Or does he have something to do with the organization? Armstrong was also reluctant to talk to Mustang about it after Bradley told those in the room at the time not to tell anyone. But Mustang is a smart one, he could understand from the clues that Armstrong naturally dropped. I love this man so much I hope he doesn't die until the end. Please. Even though I know it feels like it's impossible but... T____T

I'm also curious how Lust can appear anywhere unexpectedly... so far we've seen one of her abilities is her spear... is another one making herself invisible? I know I might sound so silly now lol but how can a military man like Hughes not realizing her presence? Also when she was suddenly inside Marcoh's house, he didn't realize anyone was there when he opened the door...

Apr 13, 1:34 AM
Mar 2024
Ha empezado a llover-.-
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
Yesterday, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.