Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
May 25, 2009 12:37 AM
Jan 2009
This movie is seriously a masterpiece; I have never experienced something like this before. I am truly touched all the way to the depths of my heart. Who else feels like this?
Jun 1, 2009 2:37 PM

Jan 2009
I dislike the fact that it doesnt have a happy ending but its definatley a great story with truly amazing artwork.
Jun 2, 2009 6:38 PM
May 2009
So am i. So far this is the only anime that, no matter how many times i've seen it, still manages to touch me as much as it did the first time. And i've seen it 6 times, or even more.

to Ryuji85 > Isn't this anime's point is that there is no "happy ending" in traditional sence?

"5cm" is incredibly truthfull set of stories about relationships in general, and any relationships do end, any love does. The happy ending in this case is to move on, and this what characters do.
Jun 2, 2009 7:23 PM

May 2009
Imperfect endings make things more human. That is why it is a masterpiece.
Jun 5, 2009 10:28 AM

Jan 2009
Ok maybe i should have stated a bit more clearly how i feel about this anime and thats what il do now.

fatalissacristia said:

to Ryuji85 > Isn't this anime's point is that there is no "happy ending" in traditional sence?

"5cm" is incredibly truthfull set of stories about relationships in general, and any relationships do end, any love does. The happy ending in this case is to move on, and this what characters do.

The ending was the "right" ending for this anime if you take the rest of the whole story into account.
That i prefer the "traditional happy endings" is just my personal taste and it doenst change the fact that i really enjoyed watching this show.
I definatley feel the same way about this anime as the OP does.
Its a emotional story that could have been taken right out of real life combined with outstanding artwork.
Jun 17, 2009 11:38 AM

Oct 2008
tehvanquisher said:

I totally agree,.,.
Sep 1, 2009 9:44 PM

Aug 2009
I feel that way about all of Shinkai's work. I can't wait to see his next project.
Sep 3, 2009 8:53 AM

Sep 2009
I agree, the ending couldn't have been better, or else it wouldn't have been a masterpiece. I think it's made to leave a scar on everyone's heart and it's obviously the kind of love story nobody thinks about making a story out of it. Gawd I'm having shivers just to think about it. I wouldn't have change anything from it! Seen it 4 times yet
Sep 8, 2009 11:42 AM

Aug 2008
tehvanquisher said:

This.
It is a masterpiece from the beginning to the end. I was deeply touched, even the second time I saw it.
V3gasSep 8, 2009 12:06 PM
Sep 8, 2009 4:36 PM

Jun 2009
berserknick said:
I feel that way about all of Shinkai's work. I can't wait to see his next project.

Yeah, all of his movies were great^_^! enjoyed it from beginning to the end
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Sep 8, 2009 4:41 PM

May 2009
I love this movie. It's a true work of art. Very touching.

And about it not having a happy ending, it's funny, I found it through a blog matsuri... let me find the blog entry and I'll link you.
http://supremenothing.blogspot.com/2009/07/strong-reoccurring-theme-that-i.html
Sep 13, 2009 6:46 PM

Aug 2009
Motherfucking Akari. She should have just waited for Takaki if she really loved him. I guess the only person who waited was Takaki.
Sep 14, 2009 4:36 PM
Jan 2009
I loved it but hated it at the same time. Especially the ending I loved it but the sadness that they never got to meet or even date again made me hate it.

Moonfrost- Takaki never really waited either. He actually forgot Akari and dated as well. It's just that in Akari's case things went well and then they ended up marrying. Although in the end Akari remembered her old feelings while Takaki ended up only remembering only a little.

Gahhh... I really love/hate the ending. Akari in the end remembered Takaki, or Tohno, after she married ,but as for Tohno he never even remembered her name and was left a loser that has no job or girlfriend.
Sep 15, 2009 4:47 AM

Jul 2009
Watched this movie a while back in fact it was last year...

My favourite anime movie for sure...

I don't see how takaki didnt remember akari...
あらあら。。。^^
Sep 15, 2009 4:48 AM

Apr 2009
The ending was not clear..T_T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2009 9:25 AM

May 2009
I thought he was depressed because he couldn't forget Akari...
hum.
Sep 18, 2009 5:22 AM

Jul 2009
Late reply

But like it just shows that they both have moved on from their childhood romance...
あらあら。。。^^
Sep 18, 2009 5:35 AM

Mar 2009
Good for you. I liked that anime as well.

The tragic (sort of) ending made it great.
Sep 24, 2009 6:48 PM

Jun 2009
aww. i hate tragic endings=[
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Nov 4, 2009 9:23 PM
Feb 2009
amg noooo h8 how they dint recognize each other.
Feb 21, 2010 2:35 PM
Jun 2008
gravepact said:
This movie is seriously a masterpiece; I have never experienced something like this before. I am truly touched all the way to the depths of my heart. Who else feels like this?

Me. Also, I can't believe someone is seriously thinking the usual happy ending would have been better. TBH, I think the ending is somewhat "happy", with the last smile Takaki gives us, but still so melancholic and powerful.

Trying to be objective, this is a great movie, masterfully written and directed. And the art was probably the best thing I've seen in an anime so far. Whether it is a masterpiece or not, it's highly subjective. But if you appreciate slow, melancholic, poetical shows and can find yourself in the story, it's a sure kill.
Mar 16, 2010 8:21 PM

Nov 2008
Well i really thought they would be tgt in the end. Was trying to convince myself that ring on Akari isnt her engagement ring too..
Mar 23, 2010 9:27 PM

Feb 2010
The bittersweet ending was to be expected. It's what makes this anime so memorable.
Mar 25, 2010 10:47 PM
Jan 2008
hellogoodbye said:
The bittersweet ending was to be expected. It's what makes this anime so memorable.

It's something we can relate to too.
Mar 30, 2010 2:03 AM

Dec 2009
I just wished it had a good ending.......I wanna cry...!
Apr 3, 2010 9:59 AM
Mar 2008
I think it did have a happy ending.

Then again that's just me.
;p
Apr 21, 2010 9:28 AM

Mar 2010
Too me it was a happy ending.......although I don't understand why this would make so many people cry/sad. If anything it was interesting to see what would happen to the too when they became adults.
Apr 29, 2010 1:30 PM

Jan 2010
Very realistic. One of the few romance anime I've seen that diverts from the "the-main-couple-gets-together-and-lives-happily-after-ever"-idea. Real life just isn't like that. I mean how many people find the love of their life at age thirteen and get married and grow old with that very person? It may work out in a few cases, but most of the time, it doesn't. I don't have anything against that kind of cheesy romance anime really. I fact I like them. It's always nice to dream. This gave a more realistic image of love, and that made it depressing. Reality just is depressing, after all.
Sep 13, 2010 8:18 PM

Mar 2009
That's funny that "Wow" is the post title since that is exactly the word i thought of after finishing this movie. The animation was beautiful and the characters were so believable. Really great and worth a watch for sure.
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway
Sep 24, 2010 6:20 PM

Nov 2009
The ending is happy. If you think otherwise I don't think you got it. Takaki smiles as he walks away from the railroad. It's the final part of the whole distance theme. First we have physical distance, then emotional, then complete and total separation (acceptance). Each chapter marks another inevitable step away from each, like cherry blossoms falling from a tree, their growing apart is out of their control. However, what's important is to cherish the memories and keep pressing forward (this is where the space exploration theme comes in, to continue on your path, unswerving, with chance meetings happening as they do). Takaki is happy because he's finally accepted his situation, and can now move forward like the cosmonaut.

The really impressive thing about this movie is that each time I watch it I'm able to appreciate something new that I've missed before, and my appreciation for the movie as a whole only increases.
Oct 16, 2010 5:51 PM

Mar 2010
seriously

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 20, 2010 11:54 PM

Jun 2009
I only rewatch this when I feel sad..

I hope he make an alternative ending for this one.. ftw
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Nov 30, 2012 6:52 PM
Aug 2012
Flaecy said:
amg noooo h8 how they dint recognize each other.

They do recognize each other in the end. After the train passes and Takaki sees that Akari isn't there, he realizes that this means she has moved on with her life. She will still treasure her memories of her, but she won't grieve for what could have been. Takaki then realizes he shouldn't hold on to the past as he has been doing up until this moment, so from there his life ascends from depression to acceptance and gratefulness for all that has happened between himself and Akari. Personally, I feel like they will always have something for each other, but accept that it will never be.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.