Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2009 2:03 PM
Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah what a twist! Honestly I did not see that coming. Pretty sad considering how much her brother wanted to tell her the truth and all that. But I wonder what was the chemical outbreak and who caused it? I guess it was just an accident.

Despite the series not having the best production values and looking like utter trash upon seeing the first episodes I was definitely charmed by the wacky antics of the characters. The end helped give it some emotional depth though. An enjoyable series through and through.
Apr 10, 2012 5:59 PM

Jun 2010
Having the music swell as it did when Maia finally finds her brother's time capsule would have worked if her lost memory was something that haunted Maia since the beginning of the series, but it wasn't actually revealed until halfway through and rarely was of importance. The twist with the real identity of her "grandfather" was decent, though. Just about the only plot development that wasn't telegraphed.

Overall the series was a middling action-comedy without the cash it needed to be much of an action show. The black tone of some of the comedy was a stand-out feature but when it's mixed in with more typical happy, idealistic stuff the whole just feels disjointed. I think I would have preferred either a more dramatic story about an amnesic girl or a sillier black comedy about a wimpy girl and her horrible job rather than both at the same time.
Feb 15, 2015 8:30 AM
Jun 2013
wow that was actually a pretty good ending. It answered all my questions and I did not see the grandpa being her actual brother being the twist. Though I would have thought he would have started his own family at least. Must of sucked finding your sis and not being able to say anything to her about it. Kinda figured she would stay with her team as she can always see her other friend whenever she wants. At frist I thought someone sunk the city for some evil goal,but surpisinly no. There was no big bad it was just government having to make a tough choice and scared anyone would find out about it.Hell they even admit to everyone at the end.overall I really enjoyed this anime and its cast.Though I was surpised how casual rena was about sex. I mean she slept with alot of dudes.I do wish the memory thing did come into play early and expanded on even more though it wasint necessary.
souledge94Feb 15, 2015 9:07 AM
Sep 3, 2017 9:27 AM

Oct 2011
I actually picked this up hoping for cool stuff, not comedy.. took this up as an alternative to the famous Black Lagoon - time to check that out. manga is better imo
the underlying theme of this series is....hentai. or any kind of fetish rly

Oct 4, 2017 5:42 PM
Aug 2013
Kinda expected that plot twist since she remembered everything but still nice.

Overall that was a good and funny watch. its start was very slow & boring but got better later.
Loved how they used Greek terminologies here and there. and shoutout to the music of this anime <3
I just wish that they focused more on the characters (not only Maia) background stories and let us know more about them and how they got into Nereids.
__amaterasu__Oct 4, 2017 11:02 PM
Apr 25, 2018 7:19 AM

Mar 2016
This show impressed me. I think it hit all of the right notes with its comedy and its seriousness; often mixing the two - without ever overstepping its bounds. I had forgotten about the old man's birth mark until they showed it again, there's something profoundly sad about that twist. I think the amnesia was a great example of executing a slow-burn plot over the course of the series. Things are revealed and dealt with in a way that feels natural and it never overtakes the narrative. I mean, her amnesia is often the butt of a joke.
syncrogazerApr 25, 2018 7:26 AM
May 31, 2020 12:40 AM

May 2010
Can't believe I overlooked some good series.
Damn rating fooled me, 6.8 above would pick this up earlier.
Apr 27, 2022 6:53 PM

Jul 2017
Memory lane for Maia was a painful one, but it's great that she finally gets to make peace with her past and the actual truth now.

Her grandpa being her brother was a heartbreaking but heartwarming reveal at the same time. It hit real hard for me. What a man.

More than respect Maia's decision to not go for the Ocean Agency; you really got to give the middle finger to them now lol.

All good things must end. It's nice to see this really fun journey get some good closure. Definitely have to call this one of my hidden gems. Been aware of this series for years by a very weird chance and it was more than worth finally getting into. The journey ended up being way more charming than I would have imagined.

Ain't gonna miss this just yet tho, as I'm sure the specials are going to be some really good fun to end this on ^^

More topics from this board

Poll: » Daphne in the Brilliant Blue Episode 17 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 3, 2009

5 by Shmubm »»
Feb 9, 5:14 AM

» Worth Watching?

dustinator1991 - Dec 29, 2021

6 by tchitchouan »»
Jul 16, 2023 1:49 AM

Poll: » Daphne in the Brilliant Blue Episode 9 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 2, 2009

5 by JaniSIr »»
May 7, 2022 12:38 PM

Poll: » Hikari to Mizu no Daphne Episode 23 Discussion

Attackonfiller - Apr 21, 2022

0 by Attackonfiller »»
Apr 21, 2022 9:20 AM

Poll: » Daphne in the Brilliant Blue Episode 22 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 4, 2009

4 by Attackonfiller »»
Apr 21, 2022 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.