Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this series?
Apr 18, 2009 4:38 AM
May 2008
Spotlight Anime: Macross: Do You Remember Love?

MAL Series Information Page: Macross: Do You Remember Love?

MAL Score - 8,19 (by 1681 users)
Ranked - #190
Popularity - #939

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE 'YOU DECIDE' POLL:

Macross: Do You Remember Love? was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
10 Yes - 43.5%
13 No - 56.5%

88 Don't Know -79.3% of the total number polled
santetjanApr 27, 2009 1:46 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 19, 2009 1:14 PM

Dec 2007
I don't really know much about Macross, this is my third OVA of it, so maybe I can't just valorize this story as stand alone.

The art was really amazing, considering how long ago it was conceived, as well as the animation sequences. However, this was pretty much it. The characters were all horribly flat. That singing girl was the only substantial character and was annoying as hell. Their actions are very natural, and that's a bonus, but all the rest as clichéd and bland. The story development is cute (ah, music and love unites us all) but ends with the characters.

It's also a mystery for me how the tool to awake the pacifist culture left to us by a very developed interstellar civilization is... An average Japanese pop-ballad.

6/10, liked it very much but no.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 23, 2009 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Where to begin...

DYRL has the workings that would make a good theatrical version of the original Macross. The art is just gorgeous to the human eye with absolute detail from the dogfights to the missiles (ever heard of the term "Itano circus").

The relationship between Hikaru and Minmay were surprisingly well done as well as some of the other character interactions. Their motivations don't feel calculated and they certainly connect with the audience very well.

The story, however, is pretty "thin-layered." It does its job with conveying its message by showing that a song about the power of love could put an end to global (or, in this case, interstellar :D) conflict. Yet, if you compare how both this movie and the original series present the concept of the Zentradi race being devoid of any culture and only knew how to engage themselves in combat, you'll see a stark difference. In the original, is was only culture through means of the arts and human relationships that united the Zentradi and the inhabitants of the Macross. What I also like about the original is that shows the consequences of war and the difficulties of rebuilding civilization. DYRL doesn't have the same depth that the original had and feels very straightforward in comparison.

Music has always been an essential part of the Macross franchise. The J-pop ballads are certainly enjoyable with "Do You Remember Love" having a nice, harmonic melody that is memorable in its own right.

All in all, DYRL is essentially a product of the 80's. It's really a work that is made for fans of the original series. It's not necessarily an improvement; it's more of a "best of" type of work in the likes of New Super Mario Bros.

7/10
removed-userApr 23, 2009 10:40 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.