Jan 26, 2014 3:11 AM

Oct 2013
I was going to apply....until I saw''Good communication skills'' & ''Over 18'
Damn.'

I'll keep smiling brightly at you.
Even when you hurt me.
Jan 26, 2014 5:21 AM
Jul 2013
Y'all have no idea what will happen if i get selected!
Jan 26, 2014 6:29 AM

Apr 2010
Hmmm...I would've applied considering I occasionally did some "good deeds" for the forum but considering I can be free only at night 'cuz of my job...and from what I see spending much time on the forum is a requirement...I'm out of question.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
KinetaFeb 6, 2014 3:11 PM
Jan 26, 2014 6:54 AM

Jan 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
It's basically just people acting as mods on some level when not being them, which is already against the rules for a reason. If you are not part of the staff you are not in a position to judge whether something is against the rules or not or to 'stop' anything 'before it gets out of hand'. You have no right to do that, and it should remain that way.
What "rules" and "right" are you talking about? If they wanted to implement this system, they're going the implement the system. I don't get how you have the idea that you have any say in this?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Jan 26, 2014 10:40 AM

Oct 2011
Good luck to the new forum mods.
Jan 26, 2014 11:23 AM

Dec 2011
I don't put my age or gender on my profile because I don't want people to prejudge me based on things that really don't matter. Given that being a mod has that effect far more than anything else (a lot of people see the mod rather than the person), I won't be applying.

I did think about it for a few hours, though.

Good luck to anyone who does try to take on the task, though.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 26, 2014 12:46 PM

Oct 2007
Can little girls apply? :3
Jan 26, 2014 1:33 PM

Apr 2013
Cool. Hopefully this makes life easier to everyone.
Jan 26, 2014 2:17 PM

Jul 2009
Go people, don't be shy. Moderator is like money, there's never enough of it.
Jan 26, 2014 2:38 PM

Jul 2012
Good luck to the applicants (you're gonna need it :P).
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Jan 26, 2014 6:37 PM

Apr 2007
Good luck to those who apply
Still not up to it after all these years >_<

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 26, 2014 10:26 PM

May 2012
I don't think I'll qualified for this, even though I am already 18 years old last September because I can get mad sometimes and I am less confident in real life. Plus, my English still needs to be fixed.

So, good luck to those who will apply for this job. Hope they will make it for the sake of the community.
Badges: C.C.O / T.C.O / TFCC admin ID | Previously known as kazumi-san95
Jan 27, 2014 4:47 AM

Mar 2010
Diran-kun said:
I've already tarnished my reputation here!

Lol even I probably was initially blacklisted already...maybe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2014 11:53 AM

Aug 2009
Hopefully the new mods will be able to do some good especially in AD/CD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 27, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2012
I think my PM was too god tier to become mod.

Jan 28, 2014 2:47 AM

Jul 2012
Goodluck for the new mods. I do have a feeling that there won't be many that are seriously applying for the position.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jan 28, 2014 5:34 AM

Apr 2011
I think I'll just stick with reporting, plus my bans came from losing it from frustration and I don't think I can fix that by much. Also, fuck responsibilities.

Well, good luck to the new mods. Please don't ban me.
Jan 28, 2014 6:46 AM

Jul 2013
Good lucky people, you shall need it.

It's not an easy job.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jan 28, 2014 1:05 PM

Mar 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:

That's literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen you post.

wow.. that was totally unnecessary and extremely offending
I do agree with what you've said to some part - it'll only result in more work for the mods instead of less..

IntroverTurtle said:
I think it would be better if Xinil was able to code something so you could have senior users for the forums.

well, we all know how active xinil is *coughs* xD
I give you some props for the idea, but I really don't see this being implemented
Jan 28, 2014 7:01 PM

May 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
I think it would be better if Xinil was able to code something so you could have senior users for the forums. Users that can't delete anything but can hide them until a mod can do something about it. No duties, just doing that when they see something worth it, would probably get way more volunteers. Would really help out the mods as someone could hide it before it gets out of hand.

That would be neat useful in that it could prevent more oil being added to fires till a mod completely removes the post, but I can't imagine the coding involved being simple (not a coder, simply considering things involved), and how would senior users be decided would be a problem in a different way. There's users who've been on for less than a year who have an amazing amount of posts, and users who've been here for more than one or two years but aren't frequent posters (good example of this is me >.<;). It would probably require a balance of both things, but this is all in theory in the end unless such a thing is decided to be implemented.

I don't understand why from the sound of things mods tend to be generally disliked. Guess I don't associate with people enough here.

And considering the requirements, considering I lack conversational skills (not so much anger, just in general), am not a frequent poster, and not sure I could deal with all the angry pm's and like, I'll not be contributing to the forum clean-up crew now, or anytime soon.

Good luck to those who apply!
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Jan 28, 2014 9:57 PM
Jan 28, 2014 10:22 PM

Sep 2011
I actually wouldn't mind doing this, since I have a lot of free time on my hands. Though, sometimes I get agitated on the forums, but that hasn't been for a while. Might think about it...

Also, I have a question regarding illegitimate accounts. Do forum moderators also take care of this? Or is this specifically by for the site owner/other people to look into. I noticed that all these accounts reported back months and months ago are still on there, so I was kind of curious.
TyrelJan 28, 2014 10:43 PM
Jan 29, 2014 4:03 AM

Oct 2013
i want to join ...
Jan 29, 2014 4:34 AM

Apr 2010
will mod for food
Its better to have burned out than to have never really shined...
Jan 29, 2014 9:28 AM

Jun 2009
Asako for forum overlord. Asako will rise again.

Good luck peeps.

IntroverTurtle said:
I think it would be better if Xinil was able to code something so you could have senior users for the forums. Users that can't delete anything but can hide them until a mod can do something about it. No duties, just doing that when they see something worth it, would probably get way more volunteers. Would really help out the mods as someone could hide it before it gets out of hand.

Yeah, uh, this is a bad idea. This is one of the reasons why Digg died.

Forgetfulness said:

You have no idea how many cliques are on this site. This "feature" would only create more cliques.

Mod Edit: Spoilered quote.
KinetaFeb 6, 2014 3:03 PM
Jan 29, 2014 5:09 PM

Oct 2013
I'm 16, but I'm pretty sure I can do a good job.*evil laugh*
Jan 29, 2014 9:58 PM

Aug 2013
Good luck! :D
Jan 30, 2014 7:04 AM

May 2012
Well, having some experience and seeing the type of people on this community I really can only shake my head.

I have better things to do. Good luck to those applying.
Jan 30, 2014 10:34 PM

Sep 2011
I'm still 16? :(

Need more than 1 year to apply
Jan 30, 2014 11:28 PM

Sep 2011
Anyone could apply and say they're "18," so in all honesty I don't get the age restriction for this.

Mod Edit: Removed quotes of deleted posts.
KinetaFeb 6, 2014 3:02 PM
Jan 30, 2014 11:30 PM

Mar 2013
Since the topic of the age limit seems to be active, I would have to share a little bit of disagreement on it.

I'm not a fan of the age limit as a whole, to say it right away. Not only that the age can be faked, but I dislike the whole way of judging by the age. Why should someone who is 30 years old be smarter and more clever than someone who is 16? The opening post says that they/you are looking for "hidden gems". Well, you won't get many by putting up unreasonable restrictions.
Jan 30, 2014 11:57 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I already explained the age limit reasoning in my post during the Review Mod hiring.

Yes, anyone can lie on an application. But for one, in most cases, we're not so inexperienced to be unable to roughly guess someone's age without them saying. And for two, if you actually are an underage but mature user, then you'd actually be honest about your age on your application; you wouldn't lie. If your application was good enough and you were honest about your age, maybe we would still take you if you really were that good of a candidate.

Honesty is a much faster and easier way to earn someone's trust than attempting to deceive them. Otherwise, when they actually find out the truth - and they usually do - it gives the other person the feeling that you've tried to play them for a fool rather than the understanding you might get if you'd just been honest in the first place.
Jan 31, 2014 12:07 AM

Oct 2009
You should also add upper age limit, so we don't get folks beaten with senile marasmus
Jan 31, 2014 12:07 AM

Mar 2013
You're missing the point, Kineta. Many would keep to this age restriction and wouldn't even send the application in because of it. Sending the applications doesn't go for granted. Since they would keep to it, you would be unable to spot the fine users, even though there are such bunch out there.
All in all, the age restriction cuts down the radar. I wouldn't know by how much, but it does. Unnecessarily, IMHO.
Jan 31, 2014 12:19 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Kineta said:
There are exceptions to every rule, but we prefer to set an age-limit to increase our chances of getting moderators who are capable enough for this demanding position.
The whole purpose is to cut down on applications. It's called "selection criteria".
KinetaJan 31, 2014 12:27 AM
Jan 31, 2014 12:20 AM

Oct 2009
Kineta said:
Honesty is a much faster and easier way to earn someone's trust than attempting to deceive them. Otherwise, when they actually find out the truth - and they usually do - it gives the other person the feeling that you've tried to play them for a fool rather than the understanding you might get if you'd just been honest in the first place.

What if you find out that one of your new mods is actually 12 years old genius? :D
Jan 31, 2014 12:44 AM

Sep 2011
Kineta said:
I already explained the age limit reasoning in my post during the Review Mod hiring.

Yes, anyone can lie on an application. But for one, in most cases, we're not so inexperienced to be unable to roughly guess someone's age without them saying. And for two, if you actually are an underage but mature user, then you'd actually be honest about your age on your application; you wouldn't lie. If your application was good enough and you were honest about your age, maybe we would still take you if you really were that good of a candidate.

Never saw that before, thanks xD.
Jan 31, 2014 12:58 AM

Mar 2013
Kineta said:
Kineta said:
There are exceptions to every rule, but we prefer to set an age-limit to increase our chances of getting moderators who are capable enough for this demanding position.
The whole purpose is to cut down on applications. It's called "selection criteria".

Naturally it is, but that still leaves some individuals out. Indeed, the efficiency might be higher by setting an age restriction, but is it fair? Not like it matters, as long as some that pass the restriction cover the part overall needed, regardless of there possibly being some even better for the role, right?

I guess you tend to aim for the best gain alongside with assurance put into account. That decreases the excellence, but it sure is efficient, as it covers other factors as well (time, effort put, ...). I guess I can't argue that. Some are left out and it isn't fair for them, but as long as it is for the better of the whole execution in the first place, I assume it can be unseen.

Keeping on-topic, I guess I should compliment the idea a little. For the first time (I believe), the users themselves actually have the ability to directly point themselves out and say: "I'm here".
I believe this is quite a a splendid way of setting the grand search up, regardless of the extra effort needed from the Moderators' and Admin's side. It is respectful enough that they were the ones to even run the idea, even though it means more work for them. (You have my not-so-common compliment there, as the idea truly is on the side of the community)

Mod Edit: Merged double posts.
KinetaFeb 6, 2014 3:06 PM
Jan 31, 2014 1:33 PM

Sep 2013
Good Luck to you guys! :)
Feb 1, 2014 7:56 AM

Jul 2012
Well some manga moderators would be needed.Lots of manga lack synopis and info.I would apply but i'm still 16(well almost 17).
Lets see who gets chosen.
Edit:Also someone keep an eye on the reviews i seen a lot of things there that couldn't be called reviews.
-OkamiFeb 1, 2014 7:59 AM

I painted my teary face with a disguised smile[COLOR=#ff3333] and pretended it was a cry out of joy.[/COLOR]

Feb 1, 2014 8:40 AM

Jun 2013
> Be at least 18 years old.
But my birthday is 4 days away.
That's not allowed, is it?
Feb 1, 2014 9:24 AM

May 2012
Good luck to those who apply (:
Feb 1, 2014 11:04 AM

Mar 2013
-Touya said:
Also someone keep an eye on the reviews i seen a lot of things there that couldn't be called reviews.

The Review/Recommendation Moderators were selected a few days ago. Give them a week more or so to get into the groove and set their ground. They'll work on from there, I'm sure of it. In other words, there should be no issue with the reviews, especially when looking at the fact that a few more users will be recruited on the team quite soon.

Rigix said:

Tee-hee, this one made me smile. Allow me to clear something up: the Moderators are reasonable people, just like you and me. Simply explain your age situation in your application, and I can assure you that they won't black you down just like some robots. As said by Kineta earlier in the thread, the age restriction stands mainly to have some sort of a pre-assurance that the applications sent in will be more or less mature. Meaning that they lower the chance of receiving immature and/or fan letters from 11-13 year olds, which would potentially waste their time when overviewing them.

You should be fine, just explain so in your application.
I highlight the part where Kineta has said that you can write as many paragraphs as you want. Write it all down! ;)
Feb 1, 2014 9:30 PM

Dec 2012
I'll only be 7 days off from being old enough to apply. Not like I had good communication skills to begin with..

Good-luck I guess..
Feb 1, 2014 9:32 PM

Nov 2011
I am the hero MAL deserves....
The Art of Eight
Feb 2, 2014 2:49 AM
Jul 2010
Not interested but good luck to those who apply!
Feb 2, 2014 2:38 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Rigix said:

Seconding what others have said - the mods are reasonable people. If an applicant is that close to the wire, they may accept the application and give it the same exact consideration they would of any other application with the same contents. I'm just a normal user on the site, but I'd guess what would matter is you showing in your app that those few days are nbd and that you meet the criteria they're looking for.

Best of luck if you decide to apply!
Feb 3, 2014 7:19 AM

Oct 2007
I feel sorry for Forum Moderators, worst job on site :V
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2014 4:52 PM

Jul 2011
Good luck to the applicants

Mod Edit: Removed self-modding.
KinetaFeb 6, 2014 2:56 PM
Feb 5, 2014 11:56 PM
Nov 2008
the 18+ age requirement IS needed

can be explained this way... there may be cases where unwanted adult content may have to be checked, verified, and cleared out
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
Today, 1:49 AM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.