Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Dec 20, 2013 8:52 AM

Oct 2010
You know.. I get a feeling that Manglobe never intended for Samumenco to be a serious anime.

Its more like they're taking all the usual Japanese-culture heroes and giving homage to them while parodying them at the same time.

Starting with Episode 7, they started parodying Kamen Rider. Then this week they started with Sentai. I wouldn't be surprised if they started parodying Ultraman soon.
"People die when they are killed" - Emiya Shirou
Dec 20, 2013 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
The moment when they showed the vehicles, I thought to myself: "There's going to be a giant mecha in this show at one point, right?" Little did I know...

That being said, my faith in this show has started to waver. I still like the humor, the execution of certain things seems to be... lacking.

However, considering how the swifts tend to be a bit abrupt in this show, I shall wait and see.

PS. I need to start using "But it was a beautiful lie" as a defense more often.
Dec 20, 2013 10:26 AM

Feb 2012
DarkGeneral said:
dreadknightnero said:

Plot-wise, I believe Jouji is definitely involved with "From Beyond", too coincidental on how all his elite members died while there was a monster in their "super-secret base", it's as though he wanted it to happen. Also from his "beautiful lies" characterization, he's the type of man who would do anything to fulfill his fantasies. If he wants it to be cliche, if he wants his dream team or even if he wants it to be dramatic, he will not mind sacrificing people to achieve his twisted ideals, it's that much evident.

This show has been introducing and destroying characters based on their selfish dreams.
Masayoshi who wants to be a hero, the catalyst
Mari who also wanted to be a hero, but lacked the qualities of one, made a late heroic debut and ended up anchoring Masayoshi's fame and finally crushed to pieces by King Torture mentally.
King Torture, required Masayoshi's heroic debut in order for him to live his ultra-villain dream.
Red Axe(Jouji), who desires for the Super Sentai world to be real and will do anything to ensure it's success.
Aliens(From Beyond), the means to Jouji's uprising.

Excellent points. Jouji is definitely shady as hell, he's been interesting since the beginning of the show. Somehow he has a connection with the prime minister of all people, when before he was just an "old star". He's been *apparently* moving things from behind the scenes and influencing people to do different things. It'll be interesting to see how his character shakes out, I won't be surprised if he ends up being a "gray" area character.

Also did anyone notice that weird thing on the back of Ugly Toxics? It only showed up in a couple of scenes leading up to his death. It looked sort of like a puppet or a dummy.

Quoting because not enough people are apparently smart enough to notice this.

So to all the skeptics of the show out there...tell me, who in there right mind would allow this to get produced without some sort of resolution to the plot? If the rest of the story carried on like this without any sort of revelation, nobody would make this. It's just logic. Just be patient and wait for the obvious incoming plot twist.

If you don't like super sentai stuff...then well I can't help you there, the show (or at least this section of the story) just isn't targeted for you
idontwannapostDec 20, 2013 10:31 AM
Dec 20, 2013 10:45 AM

Mar 2012
I hope the theme doesn't switch to "Gurren Lagann" next week...
Dec 20, 2013 11:05 AM

Dec 2012
Ok, even though I'll admit I got a huge nostalgia rush from the homage to Power Rangers and the full out sentai, I barely crawled through this episode. I just can't do it anymore, I'm going to put this on hold until it ends so I don't have to go through each week wondering if they plan to do something that made this disappointing change in direction worth it.

AhmedHan said:

Dai Gurren Flamengers coming up!

jimjameswhatever said:

So to all the skeptics of the show out there...tell me, who in there right mind would allow this to get produced without some sort of resolution to the plot? If the rest of the story carried on like this without any sort of revelation, nobody would make this. It's just logic.

I highly recommend Galilei Donna to you, vast proof of the contrary.
Dec 20, 2013 11:12 AM

Feb 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
Ok, even though I'll admit I got a huge nostalgia rush from the homage to Power Rangers and the full out sentai, I barely crawled through this episode. I just can't do it anymore, I'm going to put this on hold until it ends so I don't have to go through each week wondering if they plan to do something that made this disappointing change in direction worth it.

AhmedHan said:

Dai Gurren Flamengers coming up!

jimjameswhatever said:

So to all the skeptics of the show out there...tell me, who in there right mind would allow this to get produced without some sort of resolution to the plot? If the rest of the story carried on like this without any sort of revelation, nobody would make this. It's just logic.

I highly recommend Galilei Donna to you, vast proof of the contrary.

hmmm I haven't watched it...but assuming you make a fair point, I'm going to say that the 13 year old moe girls keep the views up despite bad plot XD
Dec 20, 2013 11:17 AM

May 2013
Could not stop laughing. This is more of a comedy to me now but it's hilarious when not taking it seriously. Loved power rangers when I was a little kid and this is just amazing.
cjmoose3595 said:
I'm done being surprised with this show. It's fucking awesome.
Like kaname said, it's a beautiful lie.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Dec 20, 2013 12:41 PM

Sep 2010
Seems like the anime has been changing its course for the last few episodes or so... Still not sure if I like it.
Dec 20, 2013 1:56 PM

Dec 2013
Ceresia said:
Seems like the anime has been changing its course for the last few episodes or so... Still not sure if I like it.

Same here man, I loved the first few episodes where it seemed realistic and possible but now it's going full sentai with a little but of humor.

Ugh I wish they didn't change the old formula. This new samurai flamenco is kinda garbage.

(all my opinion so please respect it for anyone who wants to flame me)

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Dec 20, 2013 3:12 PM
Oct 2011
I can only clap my hands and give this 5 stars and say well played.
Dec 20, 2013 3:18 PM

Jun 2012
I gave the last episode a shot when they broke the pinky of the blue haired chick, now 6 min. of this ep and I dropped it. They go around and around changing the "set" how they see fit, it's making even less sense than Power Rangers. The Axe guy now conveniently is what, the captain of the fleet "Yamato 2199" and the last boss is the "From the Beyond"? Oh, his from "Kyoukai no Kanata" that must be it. Here goes a wild guess the good guys do a "henshin"(is it this?) and turn into a megazord to the defeat the big boss, but to make things different than Power Rangers they are going to a fight with lot of gore perhaps...
Dec 20, 2013 4:19 PM

Oct 2011
Super Sentai!!!! I Love it!!!!
Dec 20, 2013 4:42 PM

Jan 2010
Dafuq did i just watched a power rangers episode -.-
Dec 20, 2013 4:47 PM

Mar 2008
It was a lie. But it was a beautiful lie!
GOD WAS THAT EPIC!!! One of the best episodes so far. I was literally LOLing and ROTFLing all 25 minutes long! My stomach hurt badly from laughter! That was so FABULOUS MAX!

The show constantly deconstructs and reconstructs the entire range of Japanese superhero shows through parody, escalation, and most importantly through the HIGH contrast of the relatively realistic first six episodes and this supernatural supersentai world. Now it's obvious, that the whole point of the first episodes was indeed to set the reference of a normal world, to make all sentai tropes obvious and stupid to the audience, to make the parody and deconstruction work.

And it really hurts to see how the majority of people still can't open their mind beyond the scope of a single episode, compare it to previous, and analyse, even though that's exactly what the series is communicating to us. Instead, we limit ourselves within the box of a single episode, focus on it being truly sentai, and expect some magic 'deconstruction' to happen in the future. Open your eyes guys. The deconstruction started at the end of episode 7 and been doing amazingly great. But no, for some reason people care about animation quality? LIKE REALLY? Like they even notice that the show looks like the one from 80-90's by means it's animated and nevertheless complain exactly about that? God! Since when has people stopped understanding parody, taking it for a real deal..?

Oh, and looks like I was completely right predicting all new characters roles from their names xD They really ended up being blue, green, black, and pink rangers, with Jouji as the main, key person in organising all of them. So what's next? Well, have you noticed the design of all four enemy characters is the same as King Torture's? I'm referring to that particular collar shape they all share. Does it mean, that all these bad guys used to be humans willing to become antagonist characters too, just like King Torture, seeking for entertainment? I guess they all will be destroyed in another episode or two, and we'll escalate and level up further, from protecting the whole Japan to protecting the whole planet. Who knows, perhaps by the end of the series, following this TTGL approach, Masayoshi will be fighting for justice of the entire universe, and then... then.. what will happen then? Oh I'm really curious, would be amazing if it goes beyond one universe, to multi-dimensions or multi-universe, or compactify all that in a dream of one human being - extremely jealous girlfriend of Gotou, for example xDDD She sure watched a good one about cat paw's sushi, so, who knows - it was all a lie after all, but a beautiful lie!!! xD

I also wonder about these four monsters. Is it some kind of a reference to four elements or is it not? I mean they sure have fire in there. And the ugly toxic guys sure was full of liquid with a nice octopus tail - could be a reference to sea and water in general. But the other two? Doesn't look like earth and air to me at all. On the other hand, ugly toxic doesn't sound like water either... Let's wait and see what's coming from that direction. After all, I don't even yet know, whether they do form four elements or not and whether it means anything for the series or not.

What I do know is that MMM34 is likely a reference to the rule #34 xDD Because, MMM is clearly WWW - remember the HIGHROLLERS HI web address? Go check it out in previous episodes if you don't. And then... Killing Joke? It all fills the show again with that main theme - entertainment taking the dark side. And it's justice and honour vs. entertainment. But of course nobody cares, because the show is now, at this very episode, is a stupid boring sentai show - it's not entertaining because one has to actually think what's going on. But who wants to think? Nobody. People just want to be fed up with fan service and complain about the lack of original shows. LOL. This is so epic, how people are blind in this very thread blaming this very show for being not original. We sure need a good BANG to awake and look a little bit beyond the here-and-now everyday lie, which we call life. A beautiful one but still a lie.
Dec 20, 2013 5:39 PM

Dec 2013
I have no clue where this is headed anymore... but I find it strangely entertaining.
Dec 20, 2013 5:44 PM

Jun 2010
parfaited said:
I guess from this point on I can laugh and take it easier now because questioning this show will be the end of me.

This episode was a real disappointment. I'm too stubborn to drop this series yet so I'll just laugh it off until it redeems itself or becomes intolerable.
Dec 20, 2013 6:47 PM

Aug 2009
Not only the villains but also Samurai Flamenco side have gotten crazy powers. It's as if Harazuka's epic tools were tossed aside (so it's not only the Flamenco Girls). I do still enjoy the craziness that it provides so I guess I'll still continue watching it (since it'd be a let down to drop it halfway)... But everything that I had loved from this series as it started have all been gone. Nothing anymore.
Dec 20, 2013 6:59 PM

Nov 2012
Did that seriously just happen?
Dec 20, 2013 7:28 PM
Oct 2013
GENERALxRAIDEN said:
Did that seriously just happen?

Yup, no doubt. No one's dreaming here.
Dec 20, 2013 7:51 PM

Mar 2010
This episode is ridiculously playing the super sentai genre straight and blatantly ignoring the echos of "wtf???", I can't help but love it. I admit I wasn't sure what the anime were trying to do after the notorious game changing episode 7. But it actually answered my worry about how this show will go on for 22 episode if they still keep the same tone as episode 1-6. Not that I actually believe there are zero indication that the anime were going to this road as mentioned and believed by some, I mean, c'mon, what staples so strong two grown man can tear it from their cheap thin ass shirts by force??

Now this episode have brought my faith back stronger than ever. I appreciated Samurai Flamenco the SoL anime of big tokusatsu fan who wants to be hero in real life world, now I appreciates it more now as a different thing altogether. Whether people like it or not, it's really depend on their preferences and if they're willing to change their glasses to view this anime. I won't judge people who hate this anime now because I can see how it turned them off. Some people like A, some people like B, some like both.

I just can't hate parody anime even when it came out of nowhere. Especially if it made me laugh constantly for one full episode. Now let's wait and see if they're still going to play dumb or reveal something more hidden between all these cliche tokusatsu tropes next episode.

My only complain is there's zero aftermath of Mari and the gang this episode, but I'm sure the anime is going back to them sooner or later.
FifteenthDec 20, 2013 10:10 PM
Dec 20, 2013 9:47 PM
Dec 2013
I still can't accept that this is actually happening. Which each passing episode, the anime further backs itself into a corner, ultimately resorting to story flip-flopping in a vain effort of redemption. Episode eleven was no exception; in fact, it's safe to say that it's the worst episode in the entire anime thus far. Is this all that surprising?

After episode seven, I was majorly concerned, but still intrigued, about where the story was going. After episode nine, I began to not care too much about what the Hell was happening. Oh, look, the super villain has a gritty, "realistic" side to him. Unfortunately, this show invited a damn gorilla with a built-in guillotine to stay, and I know how everybody feels about that. King Torture dies in episode ten, and now we have... a flying coral mansion that fires heat-seeking rockets and EMP. Oh, okay.

Honestly, this must be some sort of insane Masayoshi imagination sequence. Maybe this is simply a fan being bias due to how truly entertaining the show was before episode seven's "twist", but c'mon... yet ANOTHER set of monster villains appear at the perfect time to challenge the Power Rangers; I mean, the Flamenco Rangers.... ah, whatever. Who cares. The Flamenco Girls have been cast aside and mister cop-sidekick serves absolutely no purpose any longer. Oh, and goodbye loveable, self-sacrificing mad scientist ally! Lol?

So, we're exactly halfway through this bittersweet roller-coaster experience of an anime.... perhaps there is still enough time for something truly exceptional (and revealing) to happen that will satisfy the sane minority of fans still watching this anime every week? Probably not, but hey... it doesn't hurt to have hope, does it? Well...
Dec 20, 2013 10:46 PM

May 2010
Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no. Please no.

I can't stand watching rangers if its gonna be the same shit every episode.

Star Driver
Dec 20, 2013 11:09 PM

Nov 2012
This fucking show! How could a show change so drastically in like 3 episodes! Even this episode alone just change the show even way much super more drastically. I thought the King Torture thing was ridiculous enough and immediately this new From Beyond thing just appears out of no where and seriously takes the cake with this ridiculousness. It happened so fast with literally no transition or build up or warning or anything this is so ridiculous i dont even know what to say and not sure if i like it or not but i think im definitely enjoying it. I keep on questioning this show mostly because it seemed like the whole premise was "what if a guy tries to become a super sentai hero in the real world" but that whole thing was basically thrown out the window it feels like a different show. i think im going to miss those simpler times but i have no idea what will happen next. this is probably the most unpredictable shows iv ever watched
Slaine did nothing wrong.
Dec 20, 2013 11:35 PM

Feb 2011
As long as it doesn't get repetitive, I'll continue watching. I mean, action is always great in a kid's series and any kid would be fooled into believing they were watch something different each episode; but it's very much the same looking at it as an adult. Luckily, there was no mob fight this episode, but the enemy growing into a giant is just... (I'd wonder how someone watching something like this for the first time would see it. Like, "Why not just do that from the beginning?")

I only have one questions after seeing this episode: Has there ever been a female red range in any of the hero team series', or the like, mentioned in previous comments? (I watched Power Ranges growing up, but have never seen a female red ranger) At the very least, the citizens knowledge of the hero's identity is a twist... And of course, the 10 episode introduction leading to this overused setup. Main character lost his "Samurai Flamenco" title just like that too... Now that I think about it, he's anonymous again with the name change and new costume.
ReloadDec 21, 2013 12:00 AM
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Dec 20, 2013 11:48 PM

Mar 2012
I'm gonna lol when it gets dark again, and everyone is all like: "ZOMG THIS SHOW IS GETTING BETTER CUZ IT'S DARK AND REALISTIC NOW" and then it trolls them with another episode like this and they come on here to cry about how they dropped it, again.

Overall, was a great episode. It's a great show, albeit misunderstood.

To be honest, the people who are hating on it are probably the exact type of people that need it the most.
Let's go bowling.
Dec 21, 2013 12:10 AM

Dec 2012
I was sceptical that this episode would make me laugh, but what do you know - the promo From Beyond just made my fucking day!!

OK, so most of you (Marzan, you're the man) caught the Voltron/GoShougun reference quickly, but "the development" after the second beep, is a blueprint of Gatchaman and Cyborg 009. So, after the semi-realistic henshin tribulations with King Torture, we are now completely in the realm of classic Sentai (be it Super Robot or Henshin). By the way, I really appreciate the cleverness with which they blend popular series and themes - King Torture's relation to From Beyond, for example, and the Toxic Villain (ah, one of the Four DevaS :D, albeit the weakest!) [I am that "---" away from beginning to love these ridiculous evil guys :D].

As someone who has an aegis system of alarms in order to wake up in time to go for work, meh, I am tempted to think Hazama is sleeping and tossing in his bed, dreaming intensely around the clock alarms beepings. If so, most likely we'll see another development by the third blip and story wise this could mean the current rotations of Reds could be gone (somehow, as Samurai Girls in the previous episodes), and the cast configures to the the first series poster - Kamen Rider, Cutie Honey and such, lonely heroes for the win.
So, prepare yourselves and enjoy the ride :D. Seriously, as someone above said, trust the series to the end - Samurai Flamenco never gives up!

... And he is the Reddest of them all, ha ha ha ..., oh, God, it is funny as hell (sometimes, literally) ^^
zellamiDec 21, 2013 12:14 AM
Dec 21, 2013 1:00 AM
Oct 2013
StopDropAndBowl said:
I'm gonna lol when it gets dark again, and everyone is all like: "ZOMG THIS SHOW IS GETTING BETTER CUZ IT'S DARK AND REALISTIC NOW" and then it trolls them with another episode like this and they come on here to cry about how they dropped it, again.

To be honest, the people who are hating on it are probably the exact type of people that need it the most.

Don't worry it wouldn't happen. Sure it's not that bad neither it's that great. Therefore an average score of 5 over 10.

Surely having haters in any show is within normality. Even Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid have haters. But when 40-50% of the poll/population says they don't like it, then there's something wrong with the anime itself. It's abnormal.

So are you saying all of those 50% population needs some kind of therapy and watching this show helps them relieve the haters syndrome?

"Misunderstood" is an overstatement. I can't even understand anything.

You lovers are the ones misunderstanding us "haters". Actually that's an overstatement too. We're simply criticizing the anime and objectively rate it. Not liking the anime already makes us haters? Don't make me laugh. Actually you "fans" are the ones who can't see its weaknesses because you're overly engrossed on it. Surely, love is blind, is true in this case. If you think we are already haters by simply criticizing or saying something bad on your beloved anime, then you're gravely mistaken.
Dec 21, 2013 1:19 AM

Apr 2009
Stop acting and fighting like kids :p

Everyone has a choice to like or dislike a serie, something that you like other people won't and the other way around.

I absolutely love this show <3 I don't see it as a serious hero anime but as a parody of that genre, that's probably why I find it so enjoyable and entertaining. I can't wait for the next ep and see what crazy shit they'll pull out on us viewers XD I know that my stomach will hurt more from laughing hahah :D So just relax and enjoy the show, if you don't like it, don't watch it. If I don't like a show I don't watch it and don't go to post comments about it because I found it to be wasting of precious time. It's your time though so your decision how to use it XD

Take care all of you :)
Dec 21, 2013 1:34 AM
Oct 2013
Rah_Tilt said:
Stop acting and fighting like kids :p

Everyone has a choice to like or dislike a serie, something that you like other people won't and the other way around.

I absolutely love this show <3 I don't see it as a serious hero anime but as a parody of that genre, that's probably why I find it so enjoyable and entertaining. I can't wait for the next ep and see what crazy shit they'll pull out on us viewers XD I know that my stomach will hurt more from laughing hahah :D So just relax and enjoy the show, if you don't like it, don't watch it. If I don't like a show I don't watch it and don't go to post comments about it because I found it to be wasting of precious time. It's your time though so your decision how to use it XD

Take care all of you :)

Honestly, I'm on the neutral side. It's just that fans' mindset are like black and white. There's no gray area for them. And when you say something they don't like, they're gonna go rampage and brand you as a 'kid'.
rodacDec 21, 2013 9:52 PM
Dec 21, 2013 1:53 AM

Jan 2011
so this is actually a sentai with giant robot show, finally got it after 10+ episodes^^
Dec 21, 2013 2:45 AM

Sep 2010
Finally turned into sentai... Too bad. Dropped.
Dec 21, 2013 3:29 AM
Oct 2013
I actually love sentai and kamen rider themed animes just like this. I remember watching the first mask rider live action when I was 5 years back in the 90's and it was awesome (the best imo even now). I also watched power rangers dino thunder, the first ultraman show, godzilla, shaider, mask raider ryuki, voltes v, daimos, justice league, and plenty more (all of them are good if not great) but I just can't give this show any more than I had already given. Homage? Parody? Action? Comedy? Slice of Life? Sci-Fi? It's like putting everything nice and praying Powerpuff Girls would show up. Sigh...

I bet someone would have a violent reaction on this post again especially the "fans".
Dec 21, 2013 4:19 AM

Feb 2011
Oy oy ... I thought April's fools was obviously in April.
Dec 21, 2013 5:24 AM

Dec 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:

What's being misunderstood? What's great about these sudden shifts in the flow of storytelling? It's only midway and after seeing that this is the same director behind Durarara, Baccano, and Koi Kaze, I won't give up on it yet.

However, when I see someone stating how they preferred the SOL style that had been consistent for 7 episodes and has been abandoned for 4, I see people lining up to punch the guy with "this is just a parody, this is homage to super sentai, 2parody4u" banter that just looks like people are defending it simply for the sake of the hilarious nostalgia trip it's offering (won't deny it's funny). I mean what if episode 17 is a sudden shift to a Pokemon parody to pay homage to the Pokemon fans and abandons sentai completely? Is that going to be defended with "dude, it was funny who cares?" too?

I mean, there are ways to take the audience completely by surprise and still stay true to what you've been doing. Madoka Magica does this and hid its true nature without ever breaking away from it. Again I haven't written off SF but my main problem lies in the lack of any real flow at this point.
Dec 21, 2013 5:48 AM

Nov 2013
Not much seemed to happen in this episode, but I was quite amused by the whole Power Rangers/Megazord thing that just happened. Made me laugh but in a "WTF?" way more than anything. XD

Ah what the heck, I'll keep watching for now, just because of how hard this show is to pin down, not just in terms of the style but also the plot. I mean, hopefully they come back to Mari's psychological damage at the hands of King Torture and its effect on her at some point, 'cause she wasn't in this episode at all. :P
"Get chance and luck!"
Dec 21, 2013 6:24 AM

May 2012
What happened to the flamenco girls ? This episode felt boring without them
Dec 21, 2013 6:58 AM
Apr 2011
what... after Kamen Rider show... now Super Sentai show....
and the mecha is lame...
but the song is good... ^_^
Dec 21, 2013 8:21 AM

Mar 2012
mbdsquad said:
Average score will actually be closer to 8 than 5.

You know that rule, that 90% of any art within a genre is crap? Well, that goes both ways. 90% of the audience has crap taste.

I'll say that the haters are probably people who "grew up" too fast. They don't know how to have fun with a show.

I can criticize the anime too. I don't have it at a 10, I have it as an 8. Only, I don't spend my time criticizing it for not being something it never was and never was supposed to be. When your main critique is: "This show isn't a Batman-style superhero show" well, that's a pretty intellectually lazy critique. It was never supposed to BE a Batman-style superhero show. I might as well say Citizen Kane is a bad movie because it's not a lighthearted romantic comedy. Or that Big Lebowski isn't a good movie because it's not a dark, brooding drama with strong elements of fatalistic tragedy.

That's not objective criticism, that's the most subjective BS criticism possible. That's saying: "I prefer this type of show, so these other types are BAD!" Well, it's all fine and dandy if you don't like one type of story, but that doesn't make that type of story bad.
Let's go bowling.
Dec 21, 2013 8:28 AM

Mar 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:

What's being misunderstood? What's great about these sudden shifts in the flow of storytelling?

What's being misunderstood is that the general tone of the show has not changed, even a little. The only thing that's changed has been the setting. And when the show DOES break in tone, it does it with very good set-up and does it in such a way that shocks the audience and creates a legitimately intense atmosphere. It doesn't go into this overly dramatic "we're so DARK!" territory either. It keeps a kind of lightheartedness through the darker parts that highlights the change in tone.

That's what's being misunderstood. You're all so focused on the appearance that you're not seeing what lies underneath.

I mean, there are ways to take the audience completely by surprise and still stay true to what you've been doing.
It has kept true to itself. The first episodes were an origin story, the following episodes have been the escalation of conflict, and presumably the last episodes will be the climax of conflict and final examination of themes. If you can give me any examples of significant changes in tone, then I'll consider the criticism to be more than superficial.
Let's go bowling.
Dec 21, 2013 8:36 AM

Sep 2011
its kind of depressing seeing that the average score for this series is on the track to be in the 6.00's, and to believe how high it would have been if all this never happened

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 21, 2013 11:00 AM

Feb 2013
WTF ?! Such a drastic changes !!! After first 5 minutes I was like: 'God, this anime was cute and peaceful comedy, but it changed into bloody massacre !' This episode was like Power Rangers in second half, LOL. But I admit I like those new characters and this song when they were fighting was amazing. New enemies will be probably even more stupid than those before xd Everything has happened so fast...On the one hand I think it was quite stupid, but on the other hand I really liked it... So, tell me, why I still watch this anime ? Why I can't stop ?! Damn, I liked it at the very beginning, and now I feel like I love it ! I have big sentiment to this title. I think it's very wise sometimes. Even with some stupid moments, I just don't care. I will watch it, I will love it, maybe I'm crazy xD + Masayoshi, oh, Masayoshi ^_^ I just...love him <3 xD Our Flamen Red, please, stay awesome like now !
I gave 4/5, because I believe this anime can become more ;]

Dec 21, 2013 11:12 AM

Oct 2010
This anime went from being good to one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

There's two scenarios that come to mind that could explain what has happened here.
1) Hazama is either dreaming or in a coma
2) This is all a set up by Kaname and they're filming a show.
"El Psy Congroo"
Dec 21, 2013 11:45 AM

Jun 2012
They just went full Sentai plus all dem Red Rangers.

...Is there anything higher than a 10 on this website because I need it.
Tutturu ~
Dec 21, 2013 11:52 AM

Oct 2013
Lol at people dropping this

At this point, you should know that there will be another drastic 3 pointer and an And 1.
Dec 21, 2013 11:55 AM

Oct 2009
Well this just went full Sentai. I still think there's something more to this, but whatever it is, it better happen fast, not sure how long I can keep watching it like this. At least there's the great OP/ED to enjoy..
AozureDec 21, 2013 11:58 AM
Dec 21, 2013 12:44 PM

Jun 2012
It feels like they're taking this an episode at a time, or even 5 minutes at a time. .

Dec 21, 2013 1:14 PM

Jun 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
What's being misunderstood is that the general tone of the show has not changed, even a little. The only thing that's changed has been the setting. And when the show DOES break in tone, it does it with very good set-up and does it in such a way that shocks the audience and creates a legitimately intense atmosphere. It doesn't go into this overly dramatic "we're so DARK!" territory either. It keeps a kind of lightheartedness through the darker parts that highlights the change in tone.

No, I think what's being misunderstood is your insistence that this shit is actually good.

StopDropAndBowl said:
When your main critique is: "This show isn't a Batman-style superhero show" well, that's a pretty intellectually lazy critique. It was never supposed to BE a Batman-style superhero show. I might as well say Citizen Kane is a bad movie because it's not a lighthearted romantic comedy. Or that Big Lebowski isn't a good movie because it's not a dark, brooding drama with strong elements of fatalistic tragedy.

Except the case with Samurai Flamenco is more like Batman suddenly turning into a romantic comedy. People aren't mad at this for being something they didn't want it to be, but for turning into something it never was. And for the record, what it was before was a lot better.

Yeah I know you've got your spiel about how this was "coming all along" or some bullshit, so congratulations on being psychic, but the rest of us didn't expect the series to completely jump the shark. People are dropping the show left and right, and the rest who are actually sticking it with it are only doing so for the absurdity of it all. That's telling, and if all you have to say in response is that they have "shit taste," I feel sorry for the people who actually have to live with you.
Dec 21, 2013 2:23 PM

Jun 2007
I give up. While the idea of a parody of sentai shows is a fine one, the execution has been...lets just call it 'haphazard'.
Dec 21, 2013 2:25 PM

Apr 2012
That moment when The Adventures of Cop and Idiot turns full on into The Power Rangers meets the Avengers.
Dec 21, 2013 2:38 PM

Aug 2011
Not gonna lie, I found this episode quite entertaining, no matter how different the series is now from how it originally started. XD
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

122 by dragnpiano »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

7 by lordgaara »»
Jan 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

181 by lordgaara »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

299 by lordgaara »»
May 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

105 by lordgaara »»
May 24, 2023 11:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.