Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 23, 2013 10:23 AM

Jul 2013
This episode we found that L and Kira aren't really that different. They both will do anything it takes to achieve what they want. Kira - world without evil, L - capturing Kira.
Dec 5, 2013 7:08 PM
Aug 2013
This was a great episode. As stupid as it sounds, I am really close to someone who Misa reminds me of so much. It almost makes me the slightest bit angry when Light treats her as worthless and her getting tortured and stuff.

I suppose MAL isn't the place to talk about my feelings, so back the point. I agree with everyone saying the L wouldn't know enough to know Misa was the second Kira. Especially a few episodes ago, he came to the conclusion that there was a second Kira with basically no evidence supporting him.
Dec 14, 2013 2:05 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Placeholder post for proper episode discussion thread.
Dec 14, 2013 2:19 PM

Jan 2013
Well I must say I was surprised. And kinda pleased too. There's no more suspicion about Misa.. obviously.
Now L saw that hair move on it's own... this is quite problematic for Light. Best of luck for both of them xD.
Jan 25, 2014 1:38 AM

Oct 2013
man hes gonna relinquish his own death note
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 3, 2014 11:34 PM

Sep 2013
LOL Ryuk face at the end when Light said goodbye to him!

Damn I don't know who to root for...

Sometimes I don't like Light or L... and I felt bad for Misa. Good episode man!

Apr 3, 2014 1:01 PM

Jul 2013
Awww Rem loves Misa too and wiped her memory!
Jun 12, 2014 11:47 PM

Jan 2014
L's a bit creepy.. xD I feel so sorry for Misa.
Poor girl. Does she still have shinigami eyes?
hmmm...... How come there's a chance now
to get rid of the death note and all memories
simple as that?-- I had the feeling it wouldn't
be so easy... Don't know why... ~~~~~~~
Jun 13, 2014 1:01 PM

Nov 2013
FestinaLente said:
L's a bit creepy.. xD I feel so sorry for Misa.
Poor girl. Does she still have shinigami eyes?
hmmm...... How come there's a chance now
to get rid of the death note and all memories
simple as that?-- I had the feeling it wouldn't
be so easy... Don't know why... ~~~~~~~

It was mentioned in episode 2 when Light and Ryuk met for the first time.
Sep 2, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2014
wut...

But omg shit is hitting the fan.
Sep 11, 2014 11:12 PM

Mar 2013
Scerberosu said:
Xykij said:
I suppose MAL isn't the place to talk about my feelings, so back the point. I agree with everyone saying the L wouldn't know enough to know Misa was the second Kira. Especially a few episodes ago, he came to the conclusion that there was a second Kira with basically no evidence supporting him.

Actually, there WAS evidence for the existence of a second Kira, L explained it himself quite clearly - in the video that was used, supposedly by Kira, to convince SakuraTV of their powers (as well as the subsequent video that was broadcast across Japan), the victims were merely people with negative opinions of Kira, who weren't even criminals, and maybe just a few minor criminals. While it's very unlikely for Kira to go after such small fry, it makes much more sense if it was the doing of a "different Kira", because if the latter were to target more notorious criminals, there was the risk of the real Kira eliminating those criminals before them. As a result, the said criminals would end up dying before the second Kira's predicted times for their deaths, thereby ruining their "proof".

Furthermore, the policemen who tried to stop SakuraTV's broadcast (including Ukita), died on the spot upon arrival, and the default Kira is supposed to require a face AND a name in order to kill someone, so even if they were observing everything from somewhere, they shouldn't have been able to kill those policemen by just looking at them.

Lastly, L didn't guarantee there was a second Kira, he said the probability was just over 70%.

As for Misa, in case you don't remember, soon after the second Kira claimed to have found the real Kira, L, knowing that the second Kira was quite eager to meet the original Kira, asked Mogi-san to secretly observe Light's daily activities to see if he got any new friends or whatever (Just in case Light really was Kira, the second Kira probably would've tried to approach him somehow) and consequently, Light was spotted with Misa, whom he was never seen with before, making her a suspect. Obviously, we're to assume that this lead to L sending the police to investigate Misa's room for clues while she was away, and they ended up finding similar stuff to the things they managed to extract from the video tapes and envelopes (such as strands of hair, pieces and crumbs of snacks, etc.), and L was seen with a table full of all that evidence; evidence that the second Kira's videos were very likely made in Misa's room.

By the way, I couldn't help but condemn the way Misa was tortured under L's instructions in this episode, but on the previous episode, the way L said "Light-kun is the first friend I've ever had" brought me to tears. I can't possibly bring myself to hate that guy :P

L making prediction like "there's a second Kira" just because Kira killed small fry that he usually doesnt kill isnt very convincing. If I remember correctly Light did killed some small fry before right? Also its more possible to assume that Kira did something he usually doesnt just to cover himself and deceive people.

Also the way to find out that Misa is the second Kira looks way too convenient. It looks more like a plot device for me. Misa said as if she did cover up the tape thing nicely yet the police were able to found evidence in her room SO EASILY. Also thanks to Misa's stubbornness for meeting Light severe time in the public that she become one of the suspect. Too EASY. This episode isnt as smart as some of the previous one. To me in this case its more like the writer doesnt know how to counter the fact that Light and Misa joined force to kill L but resort to some plot convenience.
Oct 7, 2014 10:29 PM

Oct 2013
wow... wow... wow. This episode... incredible. Got teary eyed at the end for real.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 19, 2014 11:23 PM

Sep 2014
Kinda disturbing how they subdued Misa in that room.

Light: "Ryuk, this is goodbye."
Ryuk: WUT
Jan 6, 2015 11:02 PM
Dec 2014
Yup, definitely another good episode
Feb 26, 2015 1:16 AM

Nov 2014
Waiting4Infinity said:
i've never hated light so much

lol, i notice that i sit how l does, i'm doing it right now, i sometimes do it in class and at lunch, i get scolded my the teachers. XD

lol L's being a bad influence on kids...
Mar 14, 2015 9:20 PM
Jan 2015
when rem wiped that tear off the second kira and L saw i have a bad feeling about that
Mar 16, 2015 5:59 PM

Dec 2014
L was sure priceless here, lol. He completely turned the tides. Kinda felt sorry for Misa, but it serves her right. She was more of a nuisance than help to Light at all. She'll probably be better off without a Death Note too. Though, with that, Light won't be able to know L's real name.

Let's see what he has to do next.

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Apr 20, 2015 10:14 PM

Jul 2011
Ha, I'm surprised that I don't care if Light uses Misa (and rather he would for his own benefit). If this were in any other situation, that definitely would not be the case. Though then again, their relationship isn't really that of "lovers", completely one-sided, and Light could really care less and do without her. She's definitely a convenient plot device, but I like that she put Light in hot water. Also, a bit of respect for her since she lasted confinement like that for several days.

Seems like Light is going to lose his memories as well - because there's no way he'd kill himself, so the farewell could only mean he's giving up ownership of the DN. Preview kind of indicates it too since he looks like he's in confinement. I wonder how this will affect L - it's very evident that despite what he says, he's more or less certain that Light is Kira and is completely acting on that idea. I feel that he based his analysis of the tape on Light entirely, and so forth - so arresting Misa (she was seen before with Light) is due to the timing of her appearance. L won't express his thoughts on that truthfully though, and I doubt he would show himself to be so vulnerable to Light. Even his "heartfelt" lines before seemed to try and shake Light just as much as it was his personal feelings towards him. Maybe he's trying to get Light to break or show some vulnerability before acting fully on his notion.

Honestly I think the way L narrowed down Light to Japan, his abilities, etc in the beginning was more ridiculous. This is small stuff I won't sweat unless it becomes blatantly atrocious writing. I'm entertained enough to overlook these details. Rem took a risk putting up that strand of hair~
MirorinApr 20, 2015 10:26 PM
Apr 24, 2015 11:40 AM
Nov 2014
One of the best episode. Damn I was surprised by how fast they caught Misa, L was awesome in this episode. ( so is Light ^^ ) Rem is very dedicated to Misa, hopefully Light can save her :P
May 6, 2015 8:24 PM

Jan 2014
Pretty good episode, with Light once again letting his impulsiveness and ego triumph over prudence. There was no need to rush to contact Misa regarding killing L at the university. That action, accompanied by the tired restroom excuse, would be suspect in any situation.

As for everyone not convinced by L's suspicion of Misa, remember that he had Mogi trailing Light, so she had already been seen with him. That plus the hair and fibers found on the videotape envelopes was evidence enough to search her room. She covered her tracks as far as fingerprints and location were considered, yes, but it does seem fairly logical that hair etc. are more likely to be missed by inexperienced criminals.

I'm more put off by the selective memory loss humans supposedly experience when they relinquish the Death Note. Specifically, I can understand that in addition to forgetting about the existence of the Note and Shinigami, Misa would forget the murders she committed, and the fact that she was the Second Kira. However, I cannot see why she would forget that Light is Kira. I would've thought she would logically forget how he kills and have only partial memories of how she met him, but wouldn't forget that she knows he is Kira and her love for him arises at least partly from that knowledge.
May 8, 2015 3:04 AM
Dec 2011
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES OH.....GOD... YES L YOU ARE EPIC oh....my....sweet sweet eyes lived for this epic day when L said to light "we arrested misa as the 2nd kira"
i jumped up clap my hands none stop and said "yes baby" and went in my mind "how do you like that bastard light! what do you do know arrogant dumb ass"

i was so worried for L and i was so tense and tears came to my mind when light was going to call misa i said no no no don't kill L and then BAM THE call came for L !

i thought we would get a chance to see what L name is ?! but oh well L is live and well that's all that matters to me !

also that kiss didn't felt special or gave me any feelings it weird its the first time i felt nothing watching a kiss scene it felt like light is kissing a poll or something no feeling at all it felt so cold and cruel :3

i don't care about anything but L i love L he touched misa's butt and got the phone at the same time he was really cute well L is always cute and sexy!

L is like hawk once he notice his pray he will never let it go ever remember that light! :3
May 26, 2015 2:59 PM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 9, 2015 8:16 PM

Apr 2014
I thought Rem was going to kill(save) her, but he would have ended up dying also. Did anyone notice her ringtone on the phone "L" took was the op theme song??
---------My Profile------------
Aug 11, 2015 4:43 PM
Jan 2015
L , the master of comedy. And his butler does BDSM too, hehe.

I don't have the minimal idea of what Light's plan is....Wait, he will get rid of the Death Note, get close enough to L to discover his real name, and then get the noteback so he can kill L? How the hell he will control the location of the note while he don't even knows what it is? That will be some Goldberg gambit, let me tell ya.

Urgh, there's something about Misa character that I simply can't...even begin to comprehend. She is so....so so so everchanging. I can't get what she is. Sometimes too smart, sometimes too dumb, and apparently now she has iron will to resist torture. Why the author didn't just decide what she is and stick with it?
IDontWishToBeAug 11, 2015 4:47 PM
Sep 11, 2015 7:49 AM
Jun 2014
hounddog said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What, nobody wants to talk about Desu Noto? :)

For the manga readers, no big surprises here, but another great episode, even so. L hopping around Misa like a monkey was my favorite part, personally.
I liked that part as well.

Sep 27, 2015 4:31 PM

Mar 2010
Yeah Misa wasn't actually careful enough keeping around so much evidence.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 14, 2015 2:32 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
ManU-Alchemist said:
What oes he mean by Good bye Ryuk?

exactly o_o

Oct 28, 2015 4:52 AM
Jun 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_CUShSdeDo

Check the video link out for a in depth character review of Light Yagam! If you enjoyed this discussion then subscribe for more Death Note discussion videos on my youtube channel!!
Nov 6, 2015 5:13 PM

Nov 2014
I feel really bad for Misa poor girl :( I wonder what Light has in mind?
Nov 7, 2015 12:50 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Well Misa's captured and she lost her memory. Now she's even more irritating.

5/5
Jan 27, 2016 1:00 PM

Jan 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Well Misa's captured and she lost her memory. Now she's even more irritating.

Probably yeah... I don't really like her. A bit too much. But I'd really love the cat and mouse game between L and Light.

Apr 17, 2016 12:26 AM

Apr 2015
Even if she's annoying, Misa didn't deserve to be kept for three days.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Jul 29, 2016 2:59 PM

Jan 2016
First i wanna say. Think after about 4-6 episodes of this anime, u seriously get Hyped as Fuuuuck after each episodes, i mean what a thrilling! AAAh what do u mean by Goodbye!??? what is going too happen too misa then! What will Light do??!
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Jan 29, 2017 10:56 PM
Jan 2017
Re-watching this show again, in hindsight, this is where it began going downhill honestly. This episode starts with L stating to the investigation team that should he die in the next few days, Light is Kira. Okay, that is a big leap as there is technically no tangible evidence to support that. The closest leap L could have actually made was that "if I die in the next few days, one of you on this investigation team is most likely Kira." and even that should be surmised with some skepticism.

Next is L's thought process was off. Now L has been stating since early on that he thinks Light might be Kira (with never any tangible evidence), but lately it has been he believes Light is Kira. Why does he think that? According to L himself, because since he is getting emotional, his judgment may be compromised and therefore any of his deductions on Light being Kira are flawed, so that must mean Light is Kira. Umm, What? There are some obvious logical inconsistencies here. I somewhat let this slide since it never comes into play at any point in this episode. (Although it won't be the last time weird thinking like this pops up again.)

Next, we have two huge issues with this episode that I can't overlook, and that is how they somehow acquired hair of Misa's and then how they handled Misa's arrest. I found it really hard to believe Misa left evidence on the tape the third time after already doing it perfectly the first two times. The next one is especially bad. Obviously, I am not going to expect anything 'realistic' in an anime, but when L himself earlier in the show stated to Light he couldn't do anything that would deprive him of his basic human rights I figured that would be how the show would work throughout. L or the NPA should be bound by at least what L said earlier. I guess that doesn't apply to Misa.

Basically, they torture Misa (tortured by Watari himself no less) in an attempt to get her to incriminate herself and provide a name for Kira (several obvious illegal acts done by NPA). Then the police don't even say anything against L. I guess I will assume he is given control over the NPA as well despite being just a private investigator.

I would like to add that L stated "the public would never know the truth" of her conviction out of fear of public outcry which screamed hypocrisy by L. I mean, if catching a suspect equals the suspect is guilty to L, then he is no better than Misa or Kira honestly.

Well, this was a long review of this episode, but I felt it was necessary considering how beloved this show is but more often than not, it is only the first half that is loved. I only wanted to point out that possible episode point and provide context where the show starts to shift from "loved" to no "annoying".
Apr 15, 2017 8:01 AM

Sep 2016
Who would have thought that L would turn the table in that situation?

Misa being tortured scene was a bit disturbing, BUT it's a serial killer with superpower we're talking about. When you have lots of innocent lives on your shoulders, certain measures might not be avoided.
That being said, it did make me a bit emotional to see her cry when she had to lose her memories. Hope she will be less annoying if she still has some screen time afterwards.

Did Light mean he would also dispose of the Death Note?
Sep 16, 2017 4:13 AM

May 2014
L touched her butt and stole her phone?
Smooth operator right there.

Probably one of the best episodes yet tbh and I definitely didn't expect Misa to end up forfeiting her Death Note. But, hey with her Shinigami eyes, L would already be dead so it's a beneficial twist.
Apparently her "feelings" for Light will still be there though, and it doesn't look like Rem is gonna let Light off the hook...so I guess she'll still be sticking around as his faux girlfriend. Only this time around, it'll be way more cruel because she doesn't know Light's not genuine with her.

I'm just glad L gets to live another day.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2018 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
probably the best episode of the series so far! pls save Misa-chan :(
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Nov 15, 2018 4:23 PM

Aug 2007
Yeah, this is def the best episode so far.
I remember not liking Misa too much from the start when reading the manga, but she still doesn't deserve this. Rem is the only voice of reason.

Feb 16, 2019 6:41 AM

Dec 2018
Damn, so many tense in this episode.......

I guess it's suspicious enough of Light to have another girlfriend after L sees one. Damn that L's evil face.

L masking his real intention by acting as a pervert LOL.

Misa sure love the Death Note's opening.

The moment Light told L that he wanna go to restroom and L allow him and there's silence between them, I knew it something was about to go down. And Light pulled out a dumbass move by calling her just after that, could he just wait till he meet her personally?Ffs.........

Rem couldn't just stand the feeling of forgotten by Misa, so she gave Misa a risky final farewell.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Feb 16, 2019 6:41 AM

Dec 2018
Damn, so many tense in this episode.......

I guess it's suspicious enough of Light to have another girlfriend after L sees one. Damn that L's evil face.

L masking his real intention by acting as a pervert LOL.

Misa sure love the Death Note's ending.

The moment Light told L that he wanna go to restroom and L allow him and there's silence between them, I knew it something was about to go down. And Light pulled out a dumbass move by calling her just after that, could he just wait till he meet her personally?Ffs.........

Rem couldn't just stand the feeling of forgotten by Misa, so she gave Misa a risky final farewell.
Kish0Feb 17, 2019 4:43 AM
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Feb 21, 2019 5:10 PM

Feb 2019
Wait... this is goodbye, ryuk", WTF DOES THAT MEAN??? Surely he isn't going to forfeit the Death Note or kill himself?
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Apr 15, 2019 8:05 PM
Apr 2018
Oh man, what an episode! Though, how the police rushed to arrest Misa was kinda confusing: I get where the evidence came from but I don't know what they used to compare it.

Still, amazing.
Oct 4, 2019 1:41 PM
Oct 2019
I can't understand something
If light can manipulate the action of the person before his death upto humanly possible circumstances then,
Why don't he wrote something , like the name of the member of the task force will shot "L" and then shot himself in the head. He knows the name of other member of the task force so why not make them commit the murder of "L" before they shot themselves.
Remember how he made ray penber's fiance to commit suicide, how he made a prisioner wrote a letter "word to word" and that pentagram on the wall.
Mar 14, 2020 4:06 PM
Sep 2015
Ladies and gentlemen,
This is when this show goes to shit.

I'm rewatching the show and I still don't get how L arrested Misa that quickly.
We don't see him talking to Watari or other policemen so how did he order Misa's arrest? Plus how did he enter Misa's room to look for the hairs? When did his suspicions begin?
May 23, 2020 5:47 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying this series but I dunno about another 22 episodes. I feel like this is starting to drag already. A part of me is transfixed by this show and a another part of me is dying for it to be over because this tension is exhausting.

I guess a lot of people really love that sort of suspense/tension but I dunno, I just find it a bit stressful - which is kinda why I avoid shows like this...I dunno, am I the only one who feels like this? I might just go re-watch Yuru Camp to calm down. Lol

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
May 24, 2020 6:03 AM

Nov 2011
horridhendy said:
I just find it a bit stressful - which is kinda why I avoid shows like this...I dunno, am I the only one who feels like this? I might just go re-watch Yuru Camp to calm down. Lol

Definitely don't worry about taking a break, don't ever feel like you have to stress yourself out. it can be enjoyable keeping a show on your backburner for a while
May 24, 2020 4:46 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Ohhhh damn when L took the phones! Hahaha about time Light had someone gain the upper hand on him.

Only halfway through the series, I'm sure he will worm his way out of this somehow.
Jun 7, 2020 4:23 AM

Aug 2014
I’m only halfway through this episode but I had to stop because everything just seems so out of character.
Jan 4, 2021 8:29 AM

Mar 2020
Seeing Misa after her torture crushed me, to be honest. Like, I had to take a break watching it after that scene, it was so painful to just see her in so much pain and being like "just kill me already". Poor girl.

I don't even want to know what torture methods they used.
NOW WATCHING: Blue Exorcist (Season 3), Bungou Stray Dogs (Season 2), Delicious in Dungeon, Mashle (Season 2), The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio, Whisper Me a Love Song, Wind Breaker

Jan 5, 2021 10:44 AM

Jan 2020
okay.. misa is still annoying. but she's improving.
man these episodes fall in place so smoothly.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

395 by yalinarul »»
Yesterday, 12:41 PM

» Why didn't Light just write in the notebook 'Touta Matsuda dies after killing L at a specific day x and time y' Or something like that

CaptainKing_2009 - Jul 4, 2023

6 by InqMusic »»
May 11, 3:30 AM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

29 by YahiyaX777L »»
May 9, 12:33 PM

» Imagine a world without Death Note

ZeroMajor12 - May 6

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
May 6, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

128 by puffle9000 »»
May 3, 1:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.