Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2013 11:40 PM

Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I guess this is a new record for the youngest Precure ever...
Dec 11, 2013 12:18 AM

Nov 2008
Arlia said:
I guess this is a new record for the youngest Precure ever...

Even if she lacks "Cure" in the name Shiny Luminous would still be younger I think.

Anyway. You know, DokiDoki really abuses the "begin with a fight" thing. This is like the fourth or fifth time they do it. Nothing wrong with it, but really. Still having Mari find out this way was, well, lame. It would've been better if they had incorporated this to last week's episode somehow.

The reveal about Aguri's origins was nice and stuff, but it begs the question if a year has gone by then she should, you know, have had a birthday somewhere and "the day I met you" is a perfect choice. Aguri says she suddenly turned 10 even though if she's in the 4th year of elementary school then she would've turned 9, or alternately she's 11 now. Screw it, the "I don't have a birthday" thing makes no freaking sense and never has. One last thing, between Aguri being like Kaguya-hime and Mana being the Happy Prince this season has used more fairy tales for its plot than Smile. TOEI!

The actual Mari and Aguri drama is nice so no complaints there. Also props for Toei FINALLY remembering Regina doesn't need someone to be acting selfish to create a Selfish, only took them a month! Boo Mana stealing AGAIN saying the transformation line from Aguri, especially because Aguri didn't even do her Ace line later. I could SO sympathize with Regina telling Mana she was annoying! Hey, Makoto did her new move! Now the only girls left to do their iCurePad move are Mana and, guess who, ARISU. As in the girl whose entire point to her attack was something different came out each time. Toei wants us to forget she said that but I'm not letting them get away with this. Speaking of Toei doesn't really get "A Selfish or any other monster of the week destroyed a thing, DRAMA" doesn't really work when winning fixes everything, and this is a series-wide issue mind you. Ah well, minor issues aside it wasn't too bad.

The preview is another Mana episode. Never mind every episode is a Mana episode. Plus it's a student council-related episode like every Mana episode. At least not every Nagisa episode was about Lacrosse.
Dec 11, 2013 2:30 AM
Sep 2011
This episode makes my theory about Aguri being the princess's daughter A LITTLE BIT less confusing. I questioned how her having a ten year old daughter could have gone unnoticed by say... Cure Sword all this time.

And this idea also makes me wonder if Regina has a similar origin, except she ended up with King Selfish instead of a grandma.

The whole confusion about how she lost a battle back then and Ai-chan turned into an egg isn't making this any easier though. This show always seems to throw new plot details at us and not explain them properly.

I'm still waiting for an explanation about Regina turning all crazy when she has the red royal crystal. And we never did see Joe/Jonathan again, not counting that episode where it wasn't really him. He's been gone for over twenty episodes now.

As mentioned before, the emotional stuff between Aguri and her grandmother was nice and well-done.
Dec 11, 2013 3:11 AM
Jun 2011
here my theory for regina aguri stuff: Judging by what Marie-Ange and King Jikochu were saying in Aguri's dream, King Jikochu sounded as though he KNEW Marie-Ange and that she knew exactly why he was trying to destroy everything... It makes me wonder what Marie-Ange's role in the whole point of this was . I feel like she's got some hidden agenda or secret other than splitting her soul between Regina and Aguri.
Dec 11, 2013 6:46 AM

Nov 2008
RLinksoul said:
The whole confusion about how she lost a battle back then and Ai-chan turned into an egg isn't making this any easier though. This show always seems to throw new plot details at us and not explain them properly.

Theory: Marie Ange is a Digimon. Upon death she became an egg and eventually revived in her In-Training Stage, Ai-chan.

Hey, it makes more sense than some of the stuff out there.
Dec 11, 2013 9:06 AM
Sep 2011
ZettaiRyouiki said:

Theory: Marie Ange is a Digimon. Upon death she became an egg and eventually revived in her In-Training Stage, Ai-chan.

Hey, it makes more sense than some of the stuff out there.

Then what is that block of ice Joe ran off with some 20 episodes ago?

Your theory is funny because Ai-chan was originally theorized to be Ange, or related to her in some way. It feels like kind of a let-down for the show to just be like "Oh she's Cure Ace's fairy partner." That's just.... significantly more mundane than say the role of Chiffon from Fresh Precure, and doesn't really answer how she's able to dish out power-ups so easily.

There's gotta be more to her that we still don't know.
Dec 11, 2013 9:34 AM

Nov 2008
RLinksoul said:
Then what is that block of ice Joe ran off with some 20 episodes ago?

Your theory is funny because Ai-chan was originally theorized to be Ange, or related to her in some way. It feels like kind of a let-down for the show to just be like "Oh she's Cure Ace's fairy partner." That's just.... significantly more mundane than say the role of Chiffon from Fresh Precure, and doesn't really answer how she's able to dish out power-ups so easily.

There's gotta be more to her that we still don't know.

A life-sized Marie Ange doll used to distract the Selfish, of course :P. Actually I forgot about that, drats. But yes, they have a lot of things to answer and just 6 episodes left, or just 5 since it looks like giving Mana some random plot is far more important than, say, explaining what Ai-chan IS.
Dec 11, 2013 2:25 PM

Oct 2011
Ok :D so at least question why she wasn't on any birthday so far and some issues with how she lived so far were solved, kind of.
And one more scary grandmother in Precure-land, not as powerful as Honoka's but it was nice.

Not bad episode I say - sure Ace looks dumber and dumber with each pasing moment but well, it's beauty of DDP.

ZettaiRyouiki said:
One last thing, between Aguri being like Kaguya-hime and Mana being the Happy Prince this season has used more fairy tales for its plot than Smile. TOEI!

But they are using it in smarter way, I think - actually there is some connection.
While in case of Smile, between episodes that were "inspired" by Yes 5 I can't say that Miyuki had enough charisma to drag anyone into her "I just love tales" mindset. And I think they skipped that part of her personality quite early leaving not much left for her to be unique (except tendency to fail at everything).
Dec 11, 2013 11:56 PM

Nov 2008
Dalek-baka said:
But they are using it in smarter way, I think - actually there is some connection.
While in case of Smile, between episodes that were "inspired" by Yes 5 I can't say that Miyuki had enough charisma to drag anyone into her "I just love tales" mindset. And I think they skipped that part of her personality quite early leaving not much left for her to be unique (except tendency to fail at everything).

That wasn't a complaint at DokiDoki, it was a jab at Smile for not using its supposed theme very well. I think the movie used it far more in a hour than the TV series in 49 episodes. And yeah, it's like a third of Smile episodes were recycled Yes plots, as if the main cast itself wasn't bad enough.
Dec 12, 2013 12:12 AM
Jun 2011
i would be very suprise if they will explain us the connection between regina aguri and ange in a way that make sense but if the explanation is connected to the dream then all the events will be connected to each other
Dec 27, 2013 2:37 AM

Jan 2008
Teary-eyed for good chunk of episode. Family issues is what gets me everytime. Also Mari gets The Best Supporting Character/Best Parental Figure award. I was so satisfied when she punished Aguri at the end. Not because I hate Ace or something, but for earning A in bringing children up. It usually gets dusted under the carpet iin children shows.

My theory still stands (or at least I'm still clinging to it): Aguri and Regina are part of Marie Ange, her body is just a shell that needs to be confined in ice (also it's so Snow Whitish, I bet Joe must be ecstatic). I don't know where to put Ai though. At first I thought she's part of Marie Ange too, but that's three people already to be one person. Maybe Ai is Ange's messenger or something. Maybe she was a grown-up fairy too but reverted due to Selfishness attack/Ange's defeat?
Apr 3, 2021 1:25 PM
Feb 2018
I really dislike how Aguri got revealed this episode. In the past episodes they have been in many places where they could have been caught transforming and de-transforming. Then this one time grandma just happens to be walking past? So many missed opportunities in favor of this very bland one.

So Aguri's origins are explained. That's fine and all but how do you explain that situation to anyone? Don't people usually get checked for certain details like when they get enrolled for school? Like "what was your previous school?" "where are your parents?" in which Aguri just have to say "I don't know but I have my grandma." Aguri just magically appeared so she doesn't have those things. Also how can the fact that she doesn't have a birthday just be let slide? After all, a person's age is determined by days, months and years not just years.

Also I don't think it was stated anywhere that she's really "10"? Not in terms of human years (because then she'd be 1 year old) but human body's age. I guess you can assume she's a 10 year old girl now based on appearance, but was it even explained outright that she's 10? For all we know she could be much older but just looks 10 although of course, she's really 1 if we just look at it from the time she appeared as a baby to present time. Her not having a brithday adds to this too, how does anyone even verify that she's 10? How was she allowed into 4th grade when her age can't even be confirmed?

Rosetta Reflection actually reflecting something this time, great that they remembered it could do that. The fight scenes are still pretty underwhelming. Diamond is still useless, even though she's the one that said she won't let the Jikochu rampage through the school. How are they still struggling to non blood ringed Jikochus if they've been shown to handle them fine up to this point? They're trying to sell the idea that the Cures are now on par with Regina, yet still barely puts up a fight? Ace also seemed to have been heavily nerfed. With her speed she should've been able to grab all those papers (how convenient she forgot her own).

The scene where grandma acknowledged the erased drawing was really nice though. Although the whole scene of Ace getting sad over that drawing was pretty weak because as mentioned above, it gets fixed after the fight is over, so what's with that reaction? Regina could've just grabbed the paper herself. made fun of it (since Ace didn't grab it) and that scene with the grandma still would have happened. The break down of Ace felt really out of character too, she certainly didn't allow Mana to cry over Regina in their first meeting.

I miss the good fights (there were a few) where the Cures actually engaged in hand to hand combat against the Jikochus. But now it's just talk, maybe slap on a Rosetta Reflection, finishing move, end. Yikes.
CWCApr 5, 2021 1:08 PM
Aug 15, 2021 11:38 AM

Feb 2020
Aguri's origins were explained. Nice.

The bond between Aguri and her grandma is so heartwarming. :3
Apr 13, 2023 10:33 PM
Jun 2020
ZettaiRyouiki said:
Speaking of Toei doesn't really get "A Selfish or any other monster of the week destroyed a thing, DRAMA" doesn't really work when winning fixes everything, and this is a series-wide issue mind you. Ah well, minor issues aside it wasn't too bad.
Can't possibly agree with this more. It completely destroys the tension when you know it'll be fixed for no reason.

More topics from this board

Poll: » DokiDoki! Precure Episode 35 Discussion

ZettaiRyouiki - Oct 12, 2013

14 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:25 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 27 Discussion

Kaengel - Aug 4, 2013

20 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:12 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 23 Discussion

symbv - Jul 6, 2013

31 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 19, 2023 11:39 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 22 Discussion

FrozenLilith - Jun 29, 2013

29 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Oct 14, 2023 3:13 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 4 Discussion

symbv - Feb 23, 2013

27 by Archer2 »»
Jul 11, 2023 5:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.