Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2013 7:15 AM

Oct 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this one turned my brain inside out and made me feel vaguely ill, but i loved it! heard this one was hand-animated frame by frame by hiroshi harada (same guy who was responsible for the twisted and equally dirty/raw gorefest midori: shoujo tsubaki (which was even a more pleasantly psychosis inducing).....nice to find a raw lost gem like this! wish this guy had done more - one the most unique geniuses out there........
LeknaatJul 3, 2023 12:14 AM
Nov 24, 2013 3:59 AM

Apr 2009
WT EFFF!?! I don't know... ma-my brain meleted on the furst munite, now i ken't even speel end type me post rite. X_X Muving onnnnn......
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 10, 2014 8:09 AM

Apr 2013
What a beauty!! So many lolls ... so many! Magnificently horrible, I'd re-watch over & over again.
Apr 4, 2014 1:30 PM

Nov 2008
Wow, this was horrifying in a really great way!
Oct 31, 2017 2:48 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Horrifying and really disturbing. That poor boy suffered waaaayy too much. He got his revenge from those obnoxious 3 bullies, but....it doesn't feel enough. He suffered way more than this, especially losing his mother..

Also, there was a lot of nonsensical explosions and destruction at the final parts of the movie. They might be trying to symbolize something about the state of the government but....tbh, I don't really want to know. :P

What a f***ed up BS this was.. >_>
Nov 5, 2017 2:46 PM

Jul 2016
what the actual fuck.

i've seen hundreds of dementia anime, and that was pretty whack.

more please.

Nov 12, 2018 4:13 PM

Oct 2015
That pretty intense!

I would've said they deserved it when he stabbed them but Damn that was vicious. I didn't understand that bullet train symbolism, did it represent his rush or rampage? Maybe he went on a killing spree after that. Poor Deppa kid I felt very sorry for him especially when they held him up when he was visiting his mother who killed herself.

Kids can be monsters and sometimes make others to be monsters, what a messed up world we live in. I didn't understand some parts like the politicians symbolism, but I think it was nice.

6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 3, 2019 12:29 PM

Mar 2017
Wow, damn. That was quite intense. Dementia is usually hit or miss for me, I either love it or hate it. But this time... it was kind of both? Halfway through I kinda felt like not enough actually happened to justify the whole mindfuck aspect. But in the second half it finally clicked for me. Why they showed that new train all the time, and the story of the boy with the protruding tooth actually went somewhere... even if it was a dark place. I almost teared up once.

I feel like if this was well done, it could be a hidden gem, but as it is now, I can see why it got a low rating. I'll give it a 5/10, but I am VERY glad I watched it, and would actually recommend it to others.
Sep 3, 2019 9:07 PM

Mar 2014
Only worth for its visuals. It's amazing this was done almost single-handedly by Hiroshi Harada.
As for the actual anime, it's a pretty obvious commentary about the modernization of Japan, pollution and old cities. It couldn't be less "in your face" as it is. There's also a shot at tackling consumerism, but it's also "in your face" and doesn't lead anywhere. The plot about bullying feels disjointed when it's side-by-side with the modernization problem. This is strictly a political movie.
Sep 6, 2020 2:32 AM

Jul 2014
Despite obvious limitations, this was brilliantly and creatively animated.
Take care of yourself

Dec 4, 2020 4:01 AM

Feb 2015
These films are certainly my thing. Hiroshi Harada is really a great filmmaker. I just hoped stuff like this was more accepted because it's hard to find left-leaning media in conservative Japan.
Jan 29, 2021 2:21 AM

Jan 2016
An enjoyable watch. Great soundtrack, and the live action parts were really well integrated.

The subs were horrible though on the youtube version I watched. Probably done by a decade old version of google translate
This is not your grave...
But you are welcome in it :3

May 31, 2021 12:57 PM

Aug 2017
Didn't expect to see a pointing hand (referencing Shuji Terayama's movies here) or that brief eye symbol (Yoshiharu Tsuge). A great film by an independent filmmaker. Wish there was more stuff like this.

If the bullied boy represents the farmers whose homes were destroyed for the construction, than his mother's suicide is sort of a metaphor for the death of Fumio Sannomiya, the protest leader? Or maybe it's just a very personal experience since the film is, too, personal.
St0rmbladeOct 26, 2021 6:43 AM
Jan 4, 2022 11:33 PM

Nov 2012
Hiroshi Harada's creative artistry weirdly appeals to me. It's bleak and on the surface comes off as superficially edgy but I like his anime. His color design/visual are very distinct and eye pleasing in an unconventional way, they feels reminiscent of Shuji Terayama films and Suehiro Maruo's artistry.

Substance wise I can't say I can take alot from this, but creatively I can't help but like all the artistry he put into his anime.
Apr 17, 2022 2:40 AM

Aug 2015
Found this much more palatable than Midori, loved all the different visual styles.

Seems that there was some imagery (live action) from the protests in narita, to prevent building the international airport -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanrizuka_Struggle

As for the message, I took it as generally the anti-'abuse of power' message -- both from the government forcing people to move out of their homes/relocate for the 'good of modernization/technology' (as thats what the people of sanrizuka have been fighting for) and mirrored in the smaller bullying scenario -- how that abuse just creates cycles and leads to more.

Was pretty engaged the whole way though, pretty damn cool.
Jun 20, 2023 12:45 PM
Feb 2022
Where I can watch it?
Jul 27, 2023 9:06 AM
Jan 3, 12:41 AM

May 2010
Man these early Fairly OddParents episodes were wild.
Feb 24, 6:14 AM

Sep 2016
lol my brain just got f**ked
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.