Forum Settings
Forums
The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2013 5:57 AM

Nov 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
Not as convoluted as vol. 1 or 3&4, but this & 6 are VERY important plot-wise.

Well, I couldn’t help but think that this was partly inspired by Death Note, given that Mikage is probably a DN fan, and also given that Daiya is his favorite character. But.. his punishment is just… ughhh..

The revelations in this volume about the nature of O and Maria and Kazuki are so interesting, thinking about it, they add another layer to the ridiculously convoluted plot of the series. Since it’s been a long time since I last read the series… I can only vaguely remember, but I remember the revelations here having implications on the endings of the previous volumes, can’t remember what it is though, anyway I’ll edit all of my posts as I reread the series some other time.

Read pages 252-265 a couple of times since they are very very important with regards to the whole plot.

We get another title drop here, “Utsuro no Hako”, you should get what it means by reading those sections.
Sep 12, 2013 9:17 AM

Nov 2010
This is probably one of the most memorable volume of HakoMari due to epic second wind of Kazuki. I literally laughed along Kazuki when he was laughting crazily near the end of the volume. Last time I felt an impressive laughing scene happened in animangaLNVN was at the second last episode of Steins;Gate :p

Made me wondering about how will HakoMari felt when it's properly animated one day... (something that I guess near impossible to happen)
Nov 12, 2013 11:12 PM

Apr 2010
Yeah, I really like this volume for the backstory we get on everybody, and also the truth about O and Kazu's epicness at the end. After the despair he felt due to the incident with Iroha and Maria, he deserved to get that power. Loved it. Already reading 6 now.
Nov 18, 2013 7:58 PM

Sep 2012
Mikage really destroyed his (or her) characters in this volume (In a good way of course). Now if Kazu wasn't the owner of that cinema box then I wonder who is...
So that person O disguised him/herself as is related to Maria, or maybe even Kazu himself since he is her knight. I don't know why but I have a feeling his sister is going to play a role(haven't ready volume 6 yet). Any character in this novel can be relevant right now, knowing this author xD.
Noooo one more volume D: don't know if I should read it or not >< (probably will). He probably has the whole story planned out since I feel like its almost reaching the final part.
Dec 1, 2013 10:14 PM

Aug 2010
Great volume. So much was revealed this volume. And just like the OP said this volume also reminded me of DN.

So anxious to read the 6th volume but I don't want to wait so long for the 7th one...
Jan 27, 2014 11:53 AM
Jan 2013
I've been wondering for some time when Kazuki will start laughing maniacally. Now I have the answer.
Mar 19, 2014 12:26 PM

Nov 2011
O is one of the most mysterious characters in this series tbh. The connection between Maria and O was quite something to take eyes on. I also noticed the bits of Death Note vibe there. Quite intriguing. I'll reach volume 6 tomorrow most likely.
Apr 2, 2014 7:32 AM

Apr 2012
Seriously my mind is blown over this plot development, which is grounded on something that has always been hinted at.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Aug 26, 2014 11:47 AM
Oct 2012
As an avid reader, I'm asking if volume six is the end all volume. I don't know if there's a volume 7 from the looks of the author and topics but if the sixth volume's the conclusion, then I'll read it. Just wondering if someone has the answers to my questions.

A heart felt novel to me.
Aug 26, 2014 1:33 PM

Feb 2008
The 6th volume concludes the arc but ends with a major cliff-hanger. Volume 7 will be the last one.
Oct 9, 2014 6:31 AM

Jul 2014
Light + lelouch = Daiya Oomine lol xD
Dec 9, 2014 5:14 PM

Nov 2012
Awesome volume, on par with the first one, if not even better. Finally we know who O and Kadzuki are, and I wonder if he is going to be able to restore his relationship with Maria.
Mar 22, 2015 8:55 PM

Oct 2014
Great volume... could barely hold in my excitement when Kazuki proclaimed himself the one who tramples on other peoples wishes... and yea his entire scene with Iroha kind of screamed yandere lmao.

Also the whole issue with "O" and Maria is finally revealed... end game is in sight.
D3pthChargeMar 23, 2015 4:43 PM
May 5, 2015 9:22 AM
Jan 2014
When i went through this series (especially volume 1) i had a wish that Kazuki's character would never change, that he would never go against the current ideals he had.

This volume completely obliberated every aspect of the character Kazuki once was, and to my surprise, i absolutely love it.
RyuoukaMay 5, 2015 11:12 AM
Jun 16, 2015 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
So much epicness on the same volume, Daiya was awesome (like always) in this arc , the plot as usual was ultra-complex and Kazu's maniacal laugh was the highlight of the story for me, I can't wait to see how this (epic) arc is going to end - Vol. score: 7/5.
Aug 23, 2015 10:06 PM

Jul 2014
“That’s why I mustn’t let you interfere now. If you
did, you would continue to stand in our way. You would
become an obstacle. Believe it or not, I know that you
can become a surprisingly large obstacle. Therefore, I
can’t let you oppose us here!” - Iroha Shindou, page 166

Sigh... thank you for pointing out the extremely obvious, Iroha. You really only needed "That's why I won't let you interfere". Characters in HakoMari really over-explain things sometimes and it sounds so scripted and artificial.
LightBladeNovaAug 23, 2015 10:11 PM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Aug 24, 2015 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
LightBladeNova said:

Sigh... thank you for pointing out the extremely obvious, Iroha. You really only needed "That's why I won't let you interfere". Characters in HakoMari really over-explain things sometimes and it sounds so scripted and artificial.

You finished this volume?
Aug 24, 2015 2:03 PM

Jul 2014
Temera1re said:
LightBladeNova said:

Yes, I have. Around 1/4 of the way through Volume 6 now.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Aug 26, 2015 7:42 PM

Jul 2014
LightBladeNova said:
Temera1re said:

Yes, I have. Around 1/4 of the way through Volume 6 now.

Well, i don't want to make a spoiler, but in that part of the Volumen, it make sense, Iroha is pushing Kazuki to do something..

I can't talk for other parts, but even with those over-explain, there is people who dont know what is happening, just go to /a/ and read some topic of Hakomari.

Pd; sorry for take too long to answer :S
pd2; my english suck -.-
Aug 31, 2015 7:50 AM

Jul 2012
This volume was great. Volume 1 is still my favorite, but this was definitely my favorite since then 😊

The revelations at the end tied a ton of stuff together, and now I'm excited to see how Kazuki will go about defeating O. Also, if The Wish-Crushing Cinema isn't Kazuki's, Then whose box is it..?

And I'm really curious as to what happened to Kokone to brake her beyond repair. I'm guessing and hoping that the last movie will be about exactly what happened to her, but at the same time, I kinda don't want to know 😣
Sep 28, 2015 10:02 AM

Jan 2015
Was really really good, nice to see some backstory of Daiya, Usui and Kirino, and can't wait to see what really happend to them.
This volume gave me alot of Death Note vibes between Daiya and Kazuki too, as some has already said. And just to see how Kazuki got
destroyed near at the end was really... I knew it was going to happen, that Maria was going to find out, but this way was a really
really brutal way. And then Kazuki at the end when he destroyed Iroha's Box was, ahh, it just made me go "YESSSS" with excitement,
Haha. Ahh, and Kazuki's laughter, man this volume was really good.

To find out that Maria shaped O, was really interesting and that Kazuki became the "Knight". At Last they explained why he could
remember from the Rejecting Classroom, and why he could not be taken over by Iroha.

But I wonder, who has the box of the Wish-Crushing Cinema. My bets are on Usei, but knowing this author it could be anyone. Maybe Kirino? Baahh!! I have no idea!
I also wonder if Kazuki's sister will play a role in the next Volumes...

But anyways a really really good Volume, not as good as the 1st and (3ed)4th volume in my opinion, but still it's up there!
Destin98Oct 1, 2015 4:00 AM
Mar 28, 2016 4:22 PM

Jul 2015
I'm actually really jealous of Hoshino... He loves someone so much that he's willing to kill someone in order to protect her... Or whatever he tried doing xP Wish I could have someone like that
Aug 4, 2016 5:26 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Currently my favorite volume for now, particularly because of how much character development Kazuki got. Firstly, I liked how the volume didn’t waste any time in introducing Daiya’s box. And Daiya was just as much of a protagonist in this volume as Kazuki was. Both Kazuki and Daiya played the role of a protagonist and antagonist in this volume, and it just made the volume feel so amusing. It’s fun seeing Daiya get played by Kazuki’s box (though Kazuki admitted that he isn’t the owner of the “Wish-Crushing Cinema”) and Kazuki being played by Daiya’s box. I loved how we get a script of each “movie” Daiya is forced to watch before he watches it. And each of the movies were pretty interesting, because not only we get to see the past of Haruaki, Kirino and Daiya’s but also we get to see what Daiya and Maria’s relationship was in the “Rejecting Classroom”. It’s amusing reading Daiya’s thoughts after watching those movies and seeing how easily he’s being broken down, showing how weak his wish was to begin with. But the most obvious highlight of this volume was Kazuki. He’s obvious changes were present in the beginning of this volume (lying to Maria, playing dirty with Daiya), but things really got messed up when he confronted Iroha. I really hate Iroha, but what she did makes sense under the certain circumstances. But her leading Kazuki into a trap and making him loose Maria’s trust was sad. And Kazuki messed it up by lying in front of her even more. And once ‘O’ appeared, Kazuki’s madness went over 9000. That laugh was insanely amusing to say the least, and him crushing Iroha’s box was cruel, yet immensely satisfying. “If you can’t, Iroha-san, go die in a fire and don’t get in my way”, damn Kazuki’s a savage. Kazuki’s way of thinking is still kind of demented (like him imagining himself piling up corpses, just so he can use them as a staircase so he can reach Maria, was a comparison of him being able to kill in order to protect Maria). I really want to see what Kazuki will do next (even if he kind of summarized his plans at the end of the chapters), but there’s still one more movie left for Daiya to watch and Maria’s confronting him. Though I wonder who the owner of the box is though. There’s two possibilities, Haruaki and Kirino. Though, considering this “Wish-Crushing Cinema” is created to “save” Daiya from getting corrupted by his own box, the only person who would genuinely wish for Daiya’s sake would be Kirino (so I’m assuming she’s the owner and Kazuki might have told her about Daiya’s box). And with this volume, I can easily say that this is one of the best series I have ever read.

5/5
Aug 4, 2016 5:32 AM
Jul 2018
Gensan said:
Light + lelouch = Daiya Oomine lol xD

Was just passing by, but this comment describes him the best tbh.
Oct 10, 2016 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
Lots of interesting revelations in this volume, but felt a bit short for me in terms of engagement. Kingdom Royale is probably one of the best things i've ever read so coming off that it was gonna be hard for this to top that for me. There were still some aspects regarding the boxes and how they actually corrupt wishes that i just still don't understand regarding the series, hope it'll be cleared up soon.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 26, 2016 5:30 PM

Jul 2016
This is by far the best literature i have ever read.
Feb 14, 2017 4:04 AM

Jul 2014
That was good, lol.
Jun 10, 2017 4:01 AM
Aug 2015
The one thing I don't understand is that, if Maria forgets everyone that's used her box, then why hasn't she forgotten Mogi, or Daiya, or Asami? Doesn't using a box from O mean that they are using Maria's box? Or am I misunderstanding something in this volume?
Dec 11, 2017 2:49 AM

Jun 2012
Is the owner of the cinema Haruaki or Kokone? I guess either of the two can only think of saving Daiya wholeheartedly...

And all those about simplifying human's sins are quite disgusting, in a way, those details were great to actually leads me to loathe it somehow. Guess my only wish now is to see more of Maria's despair. Is it wrong of me to think that having her to taste it again will let her regain her humanity?
Nov 9, 2020 9:24 PM
Jan 2020
Kawahara3 said:
The one thing I don't understand is that, if Maria forgets everyone that's used her box, then why hasn't she forgotten Mogi, or Daiya, or Asami? Doesn't using a box from O mean that they are using Maria's box? Or am I misunderstanding something in this volume?
I know its been 3 years and you probably found the answer already if so can you please share ?(Unless its a spoiler) I am unsure as well. So my understanding is that O is just a part of a larger supernatural being that gain consciousness because of Maria wish right? Lets say the both boxes that O distributed (Daiya’s, Mogo’s etc.) and Maria’s box are black, the people who uses Maria’s box will get red box. And people with red box are the ones Maria forget about??? So the boxes O give out are not from Maria’s box. Maybe? idk
Nov 9, 2020 9:28 PM
Jan 2020
Guys I am confused were Maria and Kanzuki dating in this volume?? When did that happened?
Dec 19, 2020 12:14 PM

Jun 2017
A big question I had from the first book is finally answered. Kazuki was able to retain his memories in the rejecting classroom because of his nature. I am still confused about the circumstances of Maria using a box before O existed, but I take this explanation for now. If I understand everything right, O was created and Kazuki was changed by Maria's box. That should be the end of it. But Maria still has the ability to take people inside "her world" - the one compared to sea floor. I am not sure why this world exists because O already gives boxes to people with a wish to grant them. So Maria's wish is already fulfilled and there shouldn't be any reason for the "sea floor world" to appear.
Either way, I liked Daiya as the focus for the novel. Some mysteries remain still and next book should shed some more light on those things.
May 10, 2021 4:28 PM
Jan 2021
Another mind blowing volume and men i ship kazuki ang maria so hard that this almost gave me a mental breakdown.......
Nov 16, 2021 12:53 PM
Nov 2018
I can't stop reading this series, even tho this looks like it's going to break my heart in the end. Biggest revelation that changes the whole plot is the kazuki's conversation with O, I expected O to be someone created by kazuki himself but it seems like he will have to destroy Maria's box which is not going to be easy. I would say this was better than vol 3 and 4 but tbh I feel like something is not right about the whole thing as there is no way maria is going to voluntarily give her box after all this. Next book will be interesting, I couldn't care less about daiya anymore.
Mar 2, 2022 7:55 PM

Nov 2020
That was wild. Figured it would go this direction after Kazuki killed NPC Koudai Kamiuchi from the Game of Indolence, but still shocking nonetheless. Hope to see more of Kazuki's friend group and how they fit into his plans.

Nov 4, 2022 3:43 AM

Jan 2020
It's honestly impressive how this series gets crazier and crazier with every volume. Normally in most LNs after a very explosive volume, it would slow down to take a breather, but Hakomari doesn't do that at all. It keeps maintaining it's insanity, even getting more batshit instead of ever slowing down.

This volume is by far the craziest of the series so far. Kazuki and Daiya being both the protagonists, and their battle of wits makes this arc an awesome thrill ride.
Feb 23, 8:16 AM

Oct 2021
When kazuki start laughing like maniac, I didn't realise I was also smirking like crazy lol. Love seeing kazu showing his extreme yandere side in the end of this volume

More topics from this board

Poll: » Volume 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TheHollowShrine - Jul 7, 2015

253 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 26, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Volume 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

79 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 24, 7:41 PM

» The missing volumes

Perfectrockstar - Jul 4, 2021

4 by EmrysTatari »»
Feb 8, 1:36 PM

» Anime Adaptation possibility?

DarkHumor04 - Jan 11, 2022

14 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Poll: » Y'all think Hakomari is the best LN ever?

kelvin8072 - Jun 30, 2022

9 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.