Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 26, 2009 12:37 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
well,i am not really impress by the ending, quite disappointed really. i was expecting more from it, like a happy ending not that crap ending :S, how can they be so dense. The story and the plot was very good but both the anime and the manga disappointed me with their relationship development and the ending 6/10 or 7/10
KinetaNov 23, 2012 7:43 AM

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Feb 2, 2009 10:38 AM
Sep 2008
Well, I don't now if I read the last few chapters too fast, but I really didn't get the ending... Did he leave Misaki, went home and wrote ero-game scenarios and never saw her again?

If that is the case the ending sucked. If I'm wrong it might be ok :P
Feb 2, 2009 12:41 PM

Dec 2007
Lakitu said:
Well, I don't now if I read the last few chapters too fast, but I really didn't get the ending... Did he leave Misaki, went home and wrote ero-game scenarios and never saw her again?

If that is the case the ending sucked. If I'm wrong it might be ok :P

to my understanding, that is what happened, wacky isn't?

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Apr 27, 2009 3:36 PM

Oct 2007
From what I understood was, he was separating from Misaki so that he could learn how to love her for real, and not just play along with the contract or not being as serious as he could be about it. That and maybe Misaki will mature and become slightly less dramatic (although that is her funny aspect)

I think secretly inside he might have still been slightly doubtful. Doesn't mean he doesn't care about her, but he wants to be more independent so he can feel it in all his being perhaps? From what I read last, I figured they might meet again at some point. She did say she would be waiting.

Since it was realistic, and it hinted and them being together again, I thought it was an interesting ending.

Jun 1, 2009 7:09 AM

Feb 2009
Well guys, don't make me laugh.
When there is a happy ending you call it like "I knew it would end up like this, I hate it", and when there is no happy ending you say it sucks and that you were expecting something like "and so they lived long and were always happy". Just wtf? Decide, which one do you prefer.
I like the ending, cause it is not stereotypical - it is something I didn't predict, but I must say that it confused me a bit.
What's more, I believe manga is better than the anime when it comes to drama and few other things. I loved Misaki from manga, she was much better than the one from anime. Furthermore, I'd say they are two different girls! And look at Nanako! The same! Completely different than the one in anime. Hmm.. what else... There are many dramatic scenes and they really moved me deeply,for example, check chapter 19 from page 22 to 31 <-- This is just too sad.
Especially one scene stayed long in my mind (I guess I will never forget it). It is chapter 26 page from 23 to 25 <-- this scene moved me so so deeply, that I became MEGA depressed. I have never been so sad in my life.

Will it sound funny if I say that I do not recommend you reading this manga, beacuse you will be sick of sadness? I guess it's the best thing I could advice you if you are happy right now.
BonyfreeqJun 1, 2009 7:46 AM

Forgive my melancholy.

駄目人間
Jun 13, 2009 11:48 AM

Oct 2007
Lo hmm, I haven't seen the anime.

Jul 15, 2009 4:02 AM
Dec 2008
genius ending, but certainly not for everyone.
Jul 17, 2009 4:58 AM
Jun 2009
I was told the manga is much much darker than the anime, I had no idea it was this deep. >_> A lot of things that were said by Satou and Misaki, I can totally remember me thinking those things, which makes me sad. ;_;

Bonyfreeq sums it well for me, if you don't like feeling depressed maybe you shouldn't read it. The anime is much more comical and doesn't have that terribly haunting sadness to it (well not nearly as bad as the manga). However, I liked Misaki more in the anime. :P
Aug 20, 2009 11:24 PM

Aug 2009
I think the ending worked ok, but I would've preferred more concrete closure. I was really happy when it showed Satou in bed with Misaki, I'd been waiting for them to get into a serious relationship since early on so that was super rewarding. Then like a page later they've gone their own ways lol, that bummed me out, I know that it implied they'd try to get back together after they've become more independant but I still would've more closure.
Sep 4, 2009 12:31 PM

Feb 2009
I liked the ending now to start on episode 2 of the anime...for some reason I decided to start on episode 1 of the anime mid-way through the manga
(l_/)
('o')-------------------->a bunny
Nov 18, 2009 2:44 PM
Oct 2008
Absolutely stunned by this manga, I preferred the manga before the anime because of how things turned out differently. I liked the ending, and I agree with others that we
should have seen a more close relationship between Satou and Misaki in the end, overall a better ending than the anime. It would be nice if they could make a remake of the anime to be more like the manga, mostly because the anime lacks of those deep and scary moments.
Feb 3, 2010 7:11 AM

Feb 2010
Its not for everyone, i was really depressed reading it, so the ending is like "you decide" type of ending, but since I was in a depressed mood, the ending for me is, misaki will return to school, then meet with megumi's brother again as her teacher and Misaki finally falls for him and they end up both together. While Satou forgets about her.

It really corrupted my state of mind, and sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night and never fall asleep again till the morning thinking about it in a depressed mood. I vote "Dislike" not because its a bad manga, its actually good and addictive, the reason I read it till the end, but because its not for me, it left a bad taste on my mouth. I think I would never read this kind of manga anymore.

Im a GTO fan so you know what I like, I like happy and funny stuff, the only way i would read a depressing story is if it revolves around War.

I like the Misaki anime version though.

Misaki is like one of GTO's troubled students. Onizuka and Misaki should meet each other in class, it would be interesting. Im already laughing just thinking about it, Misaki would try to cure Onizuka's bakaness and virgin stuff and make him look stupid, until Onizuka got fed with her and teach her something about life like they would die together and something like that until she reach the breaking point hahaha! A perfect match.
Aug 2, 2010 1:47 AM

Jan 2008
Usually i would read the manga before watching the anime (and then lose interest in the anime) but i was glad that i finally get around to watch the anime and then curiosity pulled me to read the manga. I think that the manga was great, pulled me in until the end and of couse the ending to the manga is more "happy" then the anime and i really liked the ending. Though the mangaka didnt close the manga, it felt like it was a happier ending then the anime. I also liked how this series was very deep and is way darker, but the anime made everything more smooth. But wither way, the series, both manga and anime has become one of my most fav. and i plan to go through a second run when i have time.
Sep 5, 2010 1:16 PM
Sep 2010
His senior is still married and the other hikikomori seems to be a chairman in the politics with his sister (filename is "Chairman bro and sis.jpg").

From my understanding the last page's computer background seems to show Misaki in a way that implies she is again keeping close contact with the two. She seems to be holding a diploma. I'm guessing Tatsuhiro eventually got on his feet and continued the game project(s) with Yamazaki along with the other freelance work. Misaki re-entered school. I am also guessing it was or is becoming a happy ending for Tatsuhiro and her.
AjastaSep 6, 2010 4:52 AM
Dec 15, 2010 6:19 AM

Mar 2009
I like the manga. The ending seemed somewhat strange or out of place though. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this.

Mar 2009
I like the manga. The ending seemed somewhat strange or out of place though. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this.

Mar 2009
Jun 2, 2011 9:11 PM

Oct 2009
I can safely say I prefer the Anime.

I'll probably read the Light Novel soon and from looking at one or two pages I can see that the Anime was probably the more faithful adaptation which I'm thankful for.

The Manga seemed to be trying its best to make the characters less likable.

Why did they make it so that the abuse Misaki suffered as a child was just a lie as well as her parent's deaths?

Why did they bring Nanako back in after Yamazaki broke it off with her so dramatically, only to make her turn out to be a lesbian who was just fucking with him for shits and giggles?
TopgunUKJun 2, 2011 9:25 PM
Sep 7, 2011 9:30 PM

Jan 2011
Now that I've read the manga, I'm not really sure if I prefer the anime or not. They're both so different that I just can't make up my mind. Well one thing's for sure, if I ever get the chance I'm reading the light novel in a heartbeat.
Sep 21, 2011 10:17 AM

Aug 2011
I liked this ending. It seemded to hint a lot more to the possibility of Satou and Misaki to get into a serious relationship at some point. I also liked the fact that the manga didn't rush things as much as the anime and some events are just more logical in the manga.
Misaki is really different in the manga compared to the anime though. I don't know which version I like best, but I can say that I truly enjoyed both ^^.

What I didn't get though, was that Satou totally ditched Misaki in the
housedemolish scene. Even though he had decided 1 min ago that he would die for Misaki's happiness.

And them saying that they hate each other, that wasn't true was it? Because, that was sort of random all of a sudden.

Also this -->
''Even if you don't love me, I want to be near you.'' --> Misaki
And then Satou decides to go back home? THE F*CK.

But as I said I still enjoyed this ending a lot.
Dec 29, 2011 11:35 PM

Sep 2011
Wow, sucha an amazing manga. I will be checking out the anime for sure.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jan 7, 2012 3:54 PM

May 2009
two years ago i finished watching the anime
and yesterday i thought of reading it
cause i was somewhat curious LOL
all i can say is
i'm definitely glad i read it~
----
yeah! mizaki finally graduated~!

satou got a new hair cut! LOL
i think satou still works with yamazaki with creating a game cause of the message
"please get me the scenario quick, satou-san!

yamazaki still left for the farm though
it was more dramatic and more lonelier in anime

still i think nanako said those things so that yamazaki can move on without
any doubts
i felt bad for her in the anime LOL

then
jougasaki and kashiwa's wedding worked atlast?

somehow i don't really know which ending was better
cause both were not stereotypical
though i like them both even though
they were different from each other

the manga explained most of the scenario
the manga is heavier and darker than the anime
more emotions than the anime i think?

the anime was more shounen like
and the suicide part was better in the anime
and the ending was that satou has a work and now
the two of them still meets at the park and somehow tutoring misaki? :D

It's definitely one of best~
Aug 16, 2012 9:53 PM
Feb 2011
Hitomi > Misaki (Tho she was never inline to be with Satou).... Rather interesting manga at first then, ya.. Took me a wile to finish.
Sep 26, 2012 11:37 AM
Mar 2012
I'm somewhat unsatisfied with the ending, they should've kissed or something, I mean the ending wasn't completely bad, but wasn't very good either. However, I do wish that the anime did incorporate more of the elements from the manga into there, wouldn't been more fun to watch.
Oct 23, 2012 6:30 PM
Nov 2010
Meh, ending made not much sense to me, it sucked as if author had no idea how to end it. 2/3 of manga was very nice and i liked it more than anime but ending was bad and disappointing to me...
Mar 30, 2013 9:37 PM

Sep 2012
Horrible pacing towards the end. Often would jump around without any proper transition or warning.

What I hated most is how the characters would have some huge epiphany and a giant monologue sermon to go with it, and then they'd immediately revert back to their previous state of mind or even worse. I suppose it's realistic for people to fall back into old habits, especially with someone as weak-willed as the protagonist, but it just felt like I was being duped after the 4th time.
Apr 19, 2013 2:17 PM

Jul 2012
I don't know why, but i want to cry now.
Jun 1, 2013 10:15 AM

Aug 2012
8/10

Misaki is so cute XD The ending was kinda surprising to me, in a good way though. But i still wanna see Satou and Misaki kissing >_>

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jun 9, 2013 6:17 PM
Sep 2009
I watched the anime and felt the need to read the manga. I definitely don't regret it. I may be sad now, little depressed even, signified by the fact that my situation isn't that far from a main hero, but I'm glad that I decided to follow anime up with manga.

I definitely need to read novel next, although I'm not sure if it can be called "light" novel if it's similar to manga. ;)

It will definitely stay with me. It's time to go sleep, I wonder what kind of dreams I'll have today with last episodes of anime and whole manga fresh in my mind. :)

I feel I should say a few words about last chapter too, so I'd like to commend it for delivering non-trivial ending that I find increasingly difficult to find nowadays. And I'm glad it wasn't anything depressing, I think it was even happy for me and thanks to that my sad state from reading rest of manga didn't get worse. :)

It definitely was an experience I won't forget in a long time.

And is it just me, or did manga have happier ending than anime despite being overally sadder? :)

IlxussJun 9, 2013 10:25 PM
Nov 21, 2013 9:35 PM

Feb 2012
I loved this manga. Read it in two nights. I wished it had a different ending, but it was still great. 10/10 Masterpiece. Time to check out the anime.
-Dragonreborn-Nov 21, 2013 9:44 PM
Nov 27, 2013 12:24 AM

Jan 2013
The pacing and execution of the manga far exceeded the anime. I like how they made the pyramid scheme arc mesh with other arcs instead of the anime. Not also that, there was much better development on Yamazaki and Hitomi. The ending was fucking terrible though. I prefer the anime. I'll read the light novel and get on with my life. This manga gets a

9/10
Dec 18, 2013 10:59 PM

May 2013
Derpyderp said:

What I didn't get though, was that Satou totally ditched Misaki in the
housedemolish scene. Even though he had decided 1 min ago that he would die for Misaki's happiness.

At this point its not surprising considering how indecisive and directionless Satou is.
Feb 1, 2014 1:46 PM

Nov 2011
This was better-sweet...playing with my emotions and all...I hated it all...yet...I liked it...the manga was way better in my opinion...
Feb 4, 2014 11:11 PM
Jan 2014
I did not like this ending. It left me empty, and not in that emotional, "the world is cruel" way. There was no resolution. The story didn't end, it simply stated that some situations are better and some are going to go pretty much in the same way. I'm not even bothered that the love interest never resolved to anything concrete, hell, I expected it. I felt no attachment to Satou's desire to love Misaki through his own independence. It became clear before this final chapter that Satou was now capable so the ending was little more than an affirmation a hurdle we already went through.

It didn't feel like an ending. The revelations resulting from character dialogue were no more impactful than others in the manga. It only felt like an ending because of a time skip and some pictures reminding me of the good parts of the story. "Hey, remember these characters and what they did! Awesome, huh? OK, it's all over now." Bottom line, no impact at all.

I loved the manga though, although I rated it a 6/10. But that's simply because I do not see myself recommending this to anyone. Personally, it hits close to home for me. I sympathize with the main character so much that a rating feels stupid. It's not even what I'd think of as a favorite manga, it's just emotionally sticky. A story like this will stay near my heart, where I can reflect on it for eternity.
Feb 5, 2014 4:59 PM

Mar 2013
Like when I finished this chapter I continued clicking over because I didn't realize that this was the end of the manga. When the page came up saying that there wasn't a chapter 41, I just sat there dumbfounded for a moment.

I felt like it ended 3-5 pages too soon. When looking back on the final chapter though, the ending fits in with how the rest of the manga worked.

Looking at this manga in an overview, it is completely different from the anime. The stories only share the most basic of thread between them, and the characters except for the MC and Yamazaki aren't really the same at all. As an example, I almost dislike Misaki in the manga. I much prefered the damaged girl with a past to the insane girl with some issues.

After viewing both the manga and the anime, I think I'm going to have to say that I like the anime more. Thats not to say that they both aren't rock solid, but the anime is superior in my opinion.
Feb 11, 2014 7:21 PM

Apr 2011
what I learned from this manga:

1) all the characters have mental issues

2) the world is cruel ==> YOU DON'T SAY ?

I also think the "It was a joke!" after an overdramatic situation was overused in this manga. It was funny the first time, but Jesus find something else...
May 19, 2014 12:01 AM

Apr 2012
Blfrvfrv said:

What I hated most is how the characters would have some huge epiphany and a giant monologue sermon to go with it, and then they'd immediately revert back to their previous state of mind or even worse. I suppose it's realistic for people to fall back into old habits, especially with someone as weak-willed as the protagonist, but it just felt like I was being duped after the 4th time.

Yeah, this really bothered me too. I prefer the anime to the manga because in the manga I just felt too overwhelmed by the characters problems to feel any sort of sadness or sympathy for them.
Jul 18, 2014 12:16 AM

Dec 2013
I decided to stay up til 2 am and get 5 hours of sleep to finish this and it was worth it. I saw the series a while ago and decided to go back and read the manga and rewatch it (cause I love it that much). The ending is definitely different but in a good way. From what I can understand I really like how sato decides to go home and get his life together and learn to really love Mizaki. It's definitely unexpected and kind of bizzar for an author to do but I feel like Sato doing that fit his character and it was realistic.

The manga didn't get me as down as the anime did but that's probably because of the lack of background music. Still it did get me down but in a good way. The manga gave me the same urge the series did: made me want to lye in a field while it's raining and just stare at a night sky while laughing at all the stupid things I've done and my regrets.

In the end I loved it and probably will reread it if I feel down. 10/10.
Examining one series under the magnifying glass at a time.
Oct 8, 2014 9:00 AM

Jul 2014
Beautiful ending.

While the ending is somewhat open, we do see see that everyone is happy and has made some progress in their lives. Satou has a part-time job and is still working on games with Yamakaze, Misaki seems to have graduated, and the photo shows that the three of them got to see eachother recently and look happy.

Neither Sataou or Mikasi are emotionally prepared for a real relationship yet and the REAL happy ending here is that they both have gained some self awareness and maturity to realize that. However, the possibility is still there for a relationship in the future after they've matured some more and found their selves.

Beautiful. 10/10
Dec 20, 2014 4:28 PM
Dec 2014
Honestly, I didn't understand anything about the manga about halfway. I don't even understand the ending at all. 1/5
Jan 2, 2015 12:58 AM

Jan 2014
I believe they ended up together... the author just did not show that... so each of us can have their own conclusion to their ending...
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Feb 16, 2015 6:53 AM

Aug 2012
What a shitty ending. The last few chapters felt rushed.
Feb 19, 2015 3:54 PM

Jun 2014
I'm maybe in minority but I like the anime better. More funnier less drama, less annoying Satou and real angel Misaki.
The romance was more satisfying in manga though, it was implied that they have sex but we never saw them kiss.

The ending was very clear so I'm not sure why some of you can't understand what happened.

6/10
Feb 22, 2015 6:44 AM

Jul 2014
I find this magna really interesting but the ending was rather disappointing. The fact that Satou still hasn't found a job but was writing another scenario for Yamazaki and that Misaki was using Satou to the very end. That's how i feel about it.
Feb 25, 2015 11:06 PM

Mar 2013
It's a lovely ending. Who knows what'll happen to them...but they learned so much already from their experiences and interactions in the story, and their lives continue...hence that graduation pic with Misaki and the 2 others when they presumably got together again. They've made progress!
"Life goes on" for them, as should for all of us :)
Jun 19, 2015 11:22 PM

Jun 2015
I shed a few tears during the first part of the ending but I was let down with the second half because it just happened out of nowhere
Oct 28, 2015 12:38 AM

Oct 2015
Just finished the manga, man what an amazing story my thoughts:

Satou Stays true to his anime counterpart. Very eccentric, suffers from delusions. changes his mind frequently.

Misaki is a different character in the anime. In the manga, she is a huge liar and has a family.

There was more character development of Yamizake which i liked.

Overall the manga was very sad, and darker than the anime. The anime has a lot of comic relief, which I did enjoy, but it would be nice to have an anime based directly on the manga.

What I didn't like:

Megumi's brother's condition drastically improves and he falls in love withy Misaki? WHAT THE FUCK? The anime portrayal was absolutely perfect of the true hikikomori. That was unrealistic even for this anime, left a bad taste in my mouth how this character was handled.

Yamizaki's crush coming back into the story after the film incident was weird as well, then we find out she is a lesbian. Again WTF?

Misaki without her dark past from the anime, doesn't give her much depth in the manga. I mean why would an attractive girl such as herself help Sato? All because she didn't fit in at school?

Some of the transitions are ridiculously fast. One second they are in Sato's room, the next they are in a completely different location.

Now the ending: This manga does not fit a happy ending,however there isn't a lot of closure. It isn't a bad ending like most of you are saying. The main character is NEET, and a hikikomori. You really expect such a drastic turn around? The time skip is only 6 months! Anyway, what I got from it is that Sato and Yamizaki are still working on their game, but are communicating via email since he still moved back home. Sato is working, and Misaki just graduated. Most likely they will mature and most likely end up together. I can see Sato in both endings (manga and anime) eventually leaving the hikikomori lifestyle and starting a family with Misaki, but that is down the line.

I plan to read the novel as well. I have read that is dark like the manga, with alot more drug use/suicide attempts.

Overall I love this story because I can relate to Sato so much. I'm not a hikikomori, but its not like I have a huge support system. I just go to work and school, but alot of the problems he encounters hits home for me. Anime and Manga is a 10/10 for me. If you haven't watched the anime you are missing out. The godlike soundtrack, and sad scenes are just perfect. I teared up a bit in while watching both.

Welcome to the NHK 10/10 GODTIER.
Mar 4, 2016 4:23 PM

Jul 2010
Finally read the manga after watching the anime for the second time. I think people should stop not liking manga because they liked the anime more or vice versa. Because they are completely different series. Only the first episode/chapter is common. Manga and anime started going seperate ways after that.

Now to my review, the manga is a masterpiece which dares to touch subjects which no other would. The anime was like an anime, any other anime, but a masterpiece nonetheless. But it lacked the darkness manga had probably because it is broadcasted on TV. I give both a 10/10.
May 9, 2016 2:58 AM

Jul 2013
Most of this manga has been very confusing,
but I did relate a lot to the character's struggles, so I carried on reading for that reason alone.

I'd give it a 6/10. I feel like the Anime would be better,
but I could never find good enough quality streams/downloads, so I read the manga instead.
Jul 9, 2016 10:55 PM
Jun 2014
Anime, Manga, and Novel are all good! I watched and read all three at once (or as close to it as I could manage given the differences in the story) for my second time watching/reading all three versions.

I honestly can not say I have a clear favorite version of the story. Each has its own perspective and unique segments that I enjoy. It is kind of fun to take all the parts you like from each and build your own "version" of how the story unfolds.

The novel is the most depressing in my opinion, especially if you read a copy with both the first and second afterwards by the author...

Also, does the novel version have a MAL page? Is it hidden from me? Is it a conspiracy to make me look stupid?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Chapter 38 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Dec 15, 2010

2 by DarkVoyagerx »»
Jan 22, 1:51 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Chapter 31 Discussion

4 by DarkVoyagerx »»
Jan 21, 5:16 PM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Chapter 11 Discussion

Animatronix - Jun 1, 2009

7 by DarkVoyagerx »»
Jan 11, 3:18 PM

Poll: » manga or anime is better?

aznboy999 - Dec 20, 2014

5 by Goatee »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:41 PM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Chapter 37 Discussion

4 by StiffmeisterXD »»
Apr 27, 2023 7:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.