Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 17, 2009 11:08 AM

Apr 2007
So I think it's a good time to start this, especially since it'll probably be a while before Ep4 comes out.

I've been reading a lot of theories, and they've been giving me ideas on what's going on. I'll post them later once I organize them.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 19, 2009 2:58 AM

Jun 2006
Episode 3 was a really great game! ^w^

I was like whoa at the beginning where we know that Battler has been killed numerous times by the stake nee-chans.

Also Rosa's torture session was wow...cake, jelly, spider...

Man I was like, "Whoa wth?" when the truth about the golden land was revealed and even Virgilia was all evil and stuff. :O

Haha, xD Higurashi was mentioned in the tea party. I loved that part and Lamb is like, "NO DON'T TELL MEEE~ >O<" xD

Can't wait for the next episode~
Jan 19, 2009 9:37 AM
Nov 2007
I'm just somewhat confused by Virgilia. Does this mean that Beato really had a teacher or was Virgilia just fabricated by Beato as part of her act to trick Battler?

Pretty nice plot twists in this episode overall and we finally get to see Bernkastel and Ange join the fray!!
Jan 21, 2009 9:13 AM

Apr 2007
You know that creepy grin they gave Battler prevented him from signing the contract thing. If he had signed it, it would've been game over. I think a lot of the last scene was acting on Beato's and Virgilia's part. If you remember that Lamdadelta says that Beato is "acting like she doesn't WANT to win." that's a hint that Beato probably isn't all "cackle cackle, I'm evil again!"

And then if you go back the the prologue with Beato's dream, Virgilia was really a good witch, but she's also already dead. So she's either being used as a piece by one of the meta-witches, like Beato or maybe even Lamdadelta, or she's acting in order to help Beato from winning the game.

And as a last note, I do think that Beato has changed a bit from what she did and what happened in Ep3. I think she's lying when she says everything was all an act, because if you remember, when she was upset that Battler wasn't enjoying her "fun" when Eva-Beatrice was killing Rosa, that definitely wasn't acting because that was before Virgilia mentioned the North Sun and Wind thing, which is what probably gave her the idea of acting nice until the end.
Jan 21, 2009 9:35 AM
Nov 2007
I just really want to know whether Virgilia ever existed in the first place because I remember that at one point, Lamda said she could take away Beato`s magical power that Lamda had given her if Beato doesn`t start trying to win the game which suggests that Beato never learned magic from Virgilia so Virgilia and almost everything else that happened in all of Episode 3 was an act to fool Battler.
But then I`m confused why they had to ruin their perfect act by doing that creepy grin right before Battler was about to sign the contract. They would have won if they didn't grin! I don't think Bernkastel would have sent Ange in time to save Battler in that case.
Jan 21, 2009 9:53 AM

Apr 2007
But the thing is, I don't think Beato wants to win against Battler... well, yet anyway. At least, not by that way.

And as for Virgilia, I'm not sure if she actually existed or not either.
z-pakJan 21, 2009 1:55 PM
Jan 21, 2009 10:01 AM
Nov 2007
True. If either Beato or Battler won now, we won't have an episode 4 to play. That would be a sad thing.
Jan 22, 2009 7:53 AM

Jun 2007
Didn't they mention in episode 3 that you need the approval of another witch, of different type, to be fully accepted as one? Like Eva-Beatrice needed Lamda's recommendation and Ange probably needed Bern's. So I assume Beatrice learned the magic from Virgilia indeed, but she needed Lamda's approval.

I'd like to believe that Virgilia actually existed. The scene when Kumasawa turns into Virgilia seems really important - it's the basis of the Virgilia=Kumasawa=previous Beatrice theory, which suggests that Kumasawa was Kinzo's first love/obsession.
Jan 27, 2009 9:59 PM

Apr 2007
So there's this interesting theory, one that I sort of agree on, that Kinzo may have already been dead before the start of the events in the game. At first, I found it a bit absurd, but if you think about it, it does make sense.

We, the reader/audience, never physically see Kinzo unless it's in 3rd person. Narrative perspective is a very important detail I noticed throughout the 3 games thus far. It's quite obvious by now that anything in 3rd person is not to be taken as fact, especially since all the crazy magic and witch battles take place in 3rd person. So I usually take everything that's seen through Battler's eyes as fact. Except for one thing, at the end of Ep2. I think that was mostly a hallucination of some sort. Especially given the fact that he was drunk at the time.

But let's think this through. Kinzo never physically greeted the family and have only been seen by the servants and Nanjo. Oh, and Natsuhi in Ep1. Also, if we think about what happened to him in each of the episodes, or more importantly, how his body was found. In Ep1 and 2, he died by getting burned and Nanjo believes it's his body. But Kinzo could've been burned before then. I don't exactly remember if Nanjo ever confirmed the time of Kinzo's death. Not to mention, Nanjo is highly suspicious. If he's not the culprit, he has to be an accomplice of some sort. Or, Kinzo could've already been dead at the time, and the culprit just burned the body before his body was found by the family.

But there are also inconsistencies with the above. For example, Natsuhi saw and talked to Kinzo during the events of Ep1. Unless she was somehow hallucinating him, which I doubt. Or unless someone is disguised as him. Well, I'm rather skeptical about that idea as well, since none of the character resemble Kinzo that much. : /

Well, the main thing is besides Natsuhi and Battler (if we really believe everything that happened at the end of Ep2), has anyone else in the main family ever physically seen him? From I remember, no. Though Krauss and Eva have heard his voice
Jan 28, 2009 11:41 AM
Nov 2007
Hmmm Well maybe one of the stakes could have killed him and took control over his body? That would be killing the sacrifices out of order though so maybe that wouldn't be possible. But Beatrice does like to kill for fun...

Or maybe he really did die but hasn't 'remembered' that yet like how Beatrice killed Virgilia by making Virgilia 'remember' her true dead form.
Feb 11, 2009 7:48 PM
Feb 2009
BakaOnna said:
I don't exactly remember if Nanjo ever confirmed the time of Kinzo's death.

I think Genji said that the time of death wasn't clear because the stench could have built up in the boiler room for a long time before it leaked out into the upper floors.

BakaOnna said:
But there are also inconsistencies with the above. For example, Natsuhi saw and talked to Kinzo during the events of Ep1. Unless she was somehow hallucinating him, which I doubt. Or unless someone is disguised as him. Well, I'm rather skeptical about that idea as well, since none of the character resemble Kinzo that much. : /

Well, that scene could have been a lie too. Nothing says Anti-Mystery scenes have to involve wild displays of magic. On the other hand, if we accept the "Kinzo was already dead" theory then some of the conversations Battler witnessed in Ep 1 become... interesting.

If Kinzo was already dead, then not only was Natsuhi lying/hallucinating about Kinzo's presence in the study, then so were all of the people who answered when Eva asked who had seen him the previous night. At a minimum, that means Nanjo, Genji, and Kanon also knew and were willing to reveal that fact to each other (which is somewhat supported by all of them hesitating significantly before they answered). Moreover, the timing of Eva's receipt trick makes no sense at all unless she herself knew beforehand that Kinzo wasn't going to be in the room when they opened it back up.

My pet epileptic tree is that Nanjo and the servants, and possibly Natsuhi, were all working together to create the illusion that Kinzo was still in the study, and Eva somehow secretly found out about the deception. Then, Eva created the receipt trick to trap Natsuhi, and the servants were forced to go along with it because they couldn't clear Natsuhi of suspicion without blowing their own cover.

BakaOnna said:
Well, the main thing is besides Natsuhi and Battler (if we really believe everything that happened at the end of Ep2), has anyone else in the main family ever physically seen him? From I remember, no. Though Krauss and Eva have heard his voice

Rosa claimed to have seen him in his study, along with Shannon and Genji, after the first twilight in Ep 2. Actually, that whole scene struck me as really odd on second read-through. When she came back with the servants, Battler noticed that her attitude was suddenly really unnatural. She also said that Shannon and Genji's presence in the study gave them an alibi for the second twilight, but she acted a little uncertain about it, which doesn't make sense unless that alibi didn't really exist. It could be that Rosa reached some kind of secret understanding with them when she found them in the study, and casting suspicion on Shannon would have forced her to reveal it.

Or, if Kinzo really was there, Rosa could have suspected he was lying about Shannon and Genji being in the study the whole time before she got there.

My head hurts :(
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Your favorite character^^ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsumu - Jul 21, 2009

253 by LeonhartAugust »»
Jun 4, 2021 11:18 AM

» Favorite Couples

GamzeeMakara - Aug 28, 2010

43 by Suzuka »»
May 23, 2018 12:10 PM

» Least favorite characters ( 1 2 3 )

z-pak - Aug 21, 2009

132 by Suzuka »»
May 14, 2018 2:44 PM

» Shkanontrice confirmed?? *spoiler

Razuhiko - Apr 26, 2014

1 by Alencia »»
Apr 29, 2014 6:18 AM

» Umineko Motion Graphics

Niacinamide - Dec 18, 2007

29 by Krunchy »»
Feb 15, 2014 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.