Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2013 8:02 PM
Oct 2012
Did a search, didn't find a thread on this, so I thought I would bring it up since I have a contender for it that I am currently reading.

This is not the worse animation ever discussion, but rather which animations do you think butchered the source material the worse.

My entry is Princess Resurrection. Enjoyable manga, not great, but a solid good. The animation (first series, the reboot was better) however was so atrociously bad that the gap stands as wide as the Grand Canyon after Noah's floodwater has flowed through.

Mod Edit: Fixed typo in the title.
LunaFeb 1, 2014 1:03 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2013 8:03 PM

Jan 2008
Inb4 Aku no Hana

Rosario Vampire came straight to mind.
Apr 10, 2013 8:04 PM

Aug 2012
*list list list list*

Gedo Senki (The movie obliterated the entire book series)
School Days (they picked the worst route)
Ao no Exorcist (so much for a sequel)
Paul said:
Inb4 Aku no Hana
Aku no Hana
Apr 10, 2013 8:05 PM

Jan 2012
Yosuga no Sora was horrible in my opinion. I didn't read the eroge yet and dropped the anime after a few episodes, but what just pissed me majorly off is how they apparently would finish up each girls arc within a few episodes - something I can't stand at all.

It's probably not the worst adaption ever, but it's the worst I know off. Oh, and inbefore people saying ZnT without even knowing why.
Apr 10, 2013 8:06 PM

Jan 2008
MellowJello said:

Ao no Exorcist BROTHERHOOD.
Apr 10, 2013 8:08 PM

Apr 2013
bNq said:
Yosuga no Sora was horrible in my opinion. I didn't read the eroge yet and dropped the anime after a few episodes, but what just pissed me majorly off is how they apparently would finish up each girls arc within a few episodes - something I can't stand at all.

It's probably not the worst adaption ever, but it's the worst I know off. Oh, and inbefore people saying ZnT without even knowing why.

i would say this, then i remembered roasrio + vampire

Apr 10, 2013 8:09 PM

Aug 2012
Paul said:
MellowJello said:
Ao no Exorcist BROTHERHOOD.
Hey alright! I can dig this.
Apr 10, 2013 8:11 PM

Mar 2012
Rosario + Vampire always need to be reminded that the manga is 100x more better than anime counterpart.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 10, 2013 8:12 PM

Sep 2012
Rosario+Vampire
And some people say that Chaos; Head visual novel is infinite better that the anime adaption.
Apr 10, 2013 8:12 PM

Aug 2012
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10213/Maji_de_Watashi_ni_Koi_Shinasai!

Edit: damn links not working

Wow... The entire first half of the visual novel consisted of two new female members of Yamato's group of friends. That could have easily been the first half of the anime, followed by whatever route they chose as the "main" route.

Instead, the first half consisted of sex jokes and filler. Those two new members (along with the other girls, not counting the purple-haired one) were already established as hopeless harem losers craving for Yamato's dick.

Then there's that damn ending...

And THEN there's its English dub... Sentai, really. You squandered good voice actors on this piece of crap.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 10, 2013 8:16 PM

Mar 2012
gamer2710 said:

Wow... The entire first half of the visual novel consisted of two new female members of Yamato's group of friends. That could have easily been the first half of the anime, followed by whatever route they chose as the "main" route.

Instead, the first half consisted of sex jokes and filler. Those two new members (along with the other girls, not counting the purple-haired one) were already established as hopeless harem losers craving for Yamato's dick.

And THEN there's its English dub... Sentai, really. You squandered good voice actors on this piece of crap.
Majikoi VN was more into friendship. Only Miyako was actualy in love with Yamato and no other girl in love with him outside their route.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 10, 2013 8:22 PM

Aug 2012
NeoAnkara said:
gamer2710 said:

Majikoi VN was more into friendship. Only Miyako was actualy in love with Yamato and no other girl in love with him outside their route.
I meant that they were sluts in the anime. You get the point, though. That's what the show should have been about: friendship.
Apr 10, 2013 8:25 PM
Mar 2013
I'd probably have to say Fate/Stay Night. The anime isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, but compared to the Fate/Stay Night visual novel, which is amazing, the anime adaptation just falls flat on it's face.
Apr 10, 2013 8:26 PM

Mar 2012
gamer2710 said:
NeoAnkara said:
gamer2710 said:

I meant that they were sluts in the anime. You get the point, though. That's what the show should have been about: friendship.
Yeah. They were downgrading many character personality.
Apr 10, 2013 8:34 PM

Mar 2012
Forgetfulness said:
And I hear Tsukihime is a really bad adaptation, though I haven't seen it myself
(btw, How was this not mentioned yet?)
Isn't there no Tsukihime anime?
Apr 10, 2013 8:47 PM

Aug 2012
Forgetfulness said:
NeoAnkara said:
Forgetfulness said:
And I hear Tsukihime is a really bad adaptation, though I haven't seen it myself
(btw, How was this not mentioned yet?)
Isn't there no Tsukihime anime?

Ah yes, I was confusing it with a different adaptation. My bad
It wasn't that bad. All they had to do was stick to one route entirely instead of trying to shoehorn bits and pieces of other routes (and filler, of all things) into it.
Apr 10, 2013 8:51 PM

Aug 2012
Forgetfulness said:

Oh, so it's kinda like Fate/Stay Night?
Yeah. Damn, Type-Moon's early works are notorious for this.

At least Fate/Stay Night had its length (24 episodes) as an excuse. Tsukihime had only 12 episodes, I mean come on.
Apr 10, 2013 9:03 PM

Apr 2013
Xlypher said:
bNq said:

i would say this, then i remembered roasrio + vampire
oh god, this. R+V went from dark and amazing to lively fantasy world and over-the-top fanservice.
Apr 10, 2013 9:04 PM

Mar 2012
General consensus say that R+V was bad adaptation and I'm 1000% agree with this.
Apr 10, 2013 9:17 PM

Aug 2012
Damn, it's hard to find something for people of MAL to pretty much agree unanimously on.

I, too, think the R+V anime should be tossed in the trash. At first, I thought it was just mediocre, not any better or worse than other harems--but then I picked up where the manga started getting serious.

I'm at the edge of my seat waiting for Tsukune to kick the Big Bad's ass.

Damn.
gamer2710Apr 10, 2013 9:21 PM
Apr 10, 2013 9:18 PM

Apr 2013
Holybaptiser said:
Must... resist... expressing hatred... for R + V manga.
really? i think the manga is great (R+V II)
Apr 10, 2013 9:21 PM

Nov 2009
Samurai Deeper was pretty shitty ...

Berserk wasn't shitty but managed to miss the entire plot in the adaptation (let's just say the part they covered is a plot device that most ppl usually bitch about)

Tenjou Tenge was pretty full of fail too although ... the manga wasn't the best piece of work either so...
Apr 10, 2013 9:23 PM

Mar 2012
I will always bring R+V into a discussion on the topic like this.
Apr 10, 2013 11:28 PM
May 2012
Like everyone else Rosario + Vampire. And Vampire Knight. Fruits Basket anime was good but compared to the manga, it failed.
Apr 10, 2013 11:38 PM

Sep 2011
This non-existent anime comes into my mind.

Apr 10, 2013 11:42 PM

Nov 2009
Tennouji_ said:
This non-existent anime comes into my mind.

XD I'm reading the manga right now ... just finished chapter 71 ... pretty coold I suppose, but yeah heard the anime was amazingly bad by so many people

As for Vampire Knight I would say that the adaptations was horrible but it was adapted from a horrible manga so ... I guess that would be unfair to blame the production company since it was mostly the plot itself that was shit.
Apr 10, 2013 11:55 PM

Jun 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
Berserk wasn't shitty but managed to miss the entire plot in the adaptation (let's just say the part they covered is a plot device that most ppl usually bitch about)
Regardless of what they chose to adapt, it would still have an open ending, you know, considering Berserk is never going to end. I think choosing to do the Golden Age arc was a sound choice, because it's the only conclusive part of the manga, was over 100 chapters long and had some very good character development. Yeah, there is over 200 chapters to read past that point, but it still hasn't really gone anywhere other than Guts building a group of followers and becoming more of a nice guy.

Only if they gave the Golden Age arc an anime original ending, so that the anime didn't have a troll ending. I still don't see the point for the new Berserk movies.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 11, 2013 12:00 AM

Aug 2010
I never watched it, but i heard the anime of Nana to Kaoru was horrid. As for my own choices, Rosario+Vampire was awful and Fate/Stay Night was pretty bad too
Top 5 Anime -
1. Clannad After Story, 2. Higurashi Kai, 3. Steins;Gate, 4. Katanagatari, 5. The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

Top 5 Manga -
1. Great Teacher Onizuka, 2. Onani Master Kurosawa, 3. Tsukihime, 4. Naruto, 5. Dengeki Daisy
Apr 11, 2013 12:01 AM

Nov 2012
Gantz is the worst I've seen.... so awful
oh and Soul Eater pissed me off too
ZenickaApr 11, 2013 12:05 AM
Apr 11, 2013 12:03 AM

Jun 2012
robtheanimeguy said:
I never watched it, but i heard the anime of Nana to Kaoru was horrid.
Oh, fuck. Absolute train wreck. The OVA completely and utterly fucked up the characterizations and motives behind the characters and why they did what they did. The BDSM scenes were cool and well done, but the characters were completely ruined. It was nonsensical. The manga is infinitely better.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 11, 2013 12:17 AM

Apr 2011
Funny. A few weeks a go and this thread would've been creamed with SAO haters. And well, SAO. The pacing and the side-stories could've been done and placed better than they were. Naruto Shippuden is also up there because of the load of fillers.
Apr 11, 2013 12:25 AM

Aug 2010
yhunata said:
Naruto Shippuden is also up there because of the load of fillers.

I'm no Naruto fanboy by any means but, I honestly think the original Naruto could be considered really good if it wasn't for about, oh, 100 episode of STRAIGHT FUCKIN FILLER!!!
Top 5 Anime -
1. Clannad After Story, 2. Higurashi Kai, 3. Steins;Gate, 4. Katanagatari, 5. The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

Top 5 Manga -
1. Great Teacher Onizuka, 2. Onani Master Kurosawa, 3. Tsukihime, 4. Naruto, 5. Dengeki Daisy
Apr 11, 2013 12:29 AM

Nov 2009
robtheanimeguy said:
yhunata said:

I'm no Naruto fanboy by any means but, I honestly think the original Naruto could be considered really good if it wasn't for about, oh, 100 episode of STRAIGHT FUCKIN FILLER!!!

That might count however ... that's just more milking a popular series for all it's worth, and avoiding catching up to the manga.
Apr 11, 2013 12:31 AM

Apr 2011
Pirating_Ninja said:
robtheanimeguy said:
yhunata said:

That might count however ... that's just more milking a popular series for all it's worth, and avoiding catching up to the manga.

Yeah, they did a good job of avoiding catching up and it was understandable. Some of the fillers were also very enjoyable. Now they're putting in shitty fillers for no reason whatsoever.
Apr 11, 2013 12:38 AM

Nov 2009
yhunata said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
robtheanimeguy said:
yhunata said:

Yeah, they did a good job of avoiding catching up and it was understandable. Some of the fillers were also very enjoyable. Now they're putting in shitty fillers for no reason whatsoever.

Then that is undoubtedly just to milk it for all its worth, Naruto/Fairy Tale/One Piece/Bleach/etc. (most long running shounen anime) are kind of like cash cows at this point, gotta expect fillers whenever possible.
Apr 11, 2013 12:39 AM

Mar 2012
yhunata said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
robtheanimeguy said:
yhunata said:

You know Naruto filler was good. Up until Pain arc many Naruto filler are good. But past that many filler is questionable on it's quality.
Apr 11, 2013 12:42 AM

Aug 2010
OH FUCK! I just remembered DBZ existed. OH GAD, SO MUCH FILLER!!!
Top 5 Anime -

Top 5 Manga -
Apr 11, 2013 12:54 AM

Sep 2007
Deen really butchered Umineko. I'm sure there are worse anime adaptations out there, but that's the worst one I've seen, and perhaps my least favorite anime of all time. As a side note, I'm in the vast minority of people who actually like the anime adaptation of Higurashi more than the VN.

Fate/Stay Night's adaptations were pretty bad too. The Unlimited Blade Works movie literally makes no sense unless you've read the VN. Absolutely disgraceful.
Apr 11, 2013 12:59 AM

Jun 2008
As a HUGE R+V fan, I will go ahead and add to the consensus...

However, R+V anime was a failure not for the ecchi but because they didn't even bother to animate the actual fucking story.

The manga is IMO a perfect example of how you can combine a harem + battle shounen in a positive way.

I will say that another terrible anime adaptation is Negima....then again the Manga ended so horribly, I don't even care.
Apr 11, 2013 1:10 AM

Mar 2012
Negima OVA Shirokishi Tsubasa Ala Alba was decent though.
Apr 11, 2013 1:15 AM

Apr 2012
I want to say Ao no Exorcist, which was actually pretty good until half way through. Then it became a filler. Sure people enjoyed it, but I was too disappointed with it that I couldn't watch.
Apr 11, 2013 1:25 AM
Jan 2013
Berserk trilogy. Way to ruin an adaptation of one of the best manga, when they could have made the best movies ever if they weren't fucking retarded
Apr 11, 2013 2:21 AM

Jun 2012
robtheanimeguy said:
yhunata said:

Agreed. I never read the manga, but I liked the pre filler Naruto far better than Shippuden. I still think it's slightly above average overall, and certainly better than the haters suggest, but it could have been a top standalone anime if it didn't milk the the shit out of it with fillers. Well, I only took one point off it, but the sheer number of fillers probably deserves more. One of the the prime cases of $$$ over artistic integrity, reminds me of DBGT. Shippuden I just hate the canon as well as the fillers.

As for the topic, I don't have have any to add. FSN/Tsukihime are my votes. Both could do with remakes. And I haven't read Umineko, but I refuse to believe the VN is as stupid as the anime, so I'm gonna throw that in there too.
Apr 11, 2013 2:23 AM
Mar 2011
Berserk TV
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 11, 2013 2:53 AM

Aug 2009
DateYutaka said:
Berserk TV

It's good for atleast introducing the manga. Really it's just the production values that are lacking the story and characters are still fully intact IMO.

Zetman on the other hand is a terrible adaption.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 11, 2013 3:10 AM

Mar 2012
DateYutaka said:
Berserk TV

That was for me the best adaptation ever. Funny.
Apr 11, 2013 3:16 AM
Mar 2011
battosai-01 said:
DateYutaka said:
Berserk TV

It's good for atleast introducing the manga. Really it's just the production values that are lacking the story and characters are still fully intact IMO.

Zetman on the other hand is a terrible adaption.

MY comment on my list somes up my views on it
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

32 by Ex-Aid »»
1 minute ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
16 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
33 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.