New
Mar 25, 2013 11:15 AM

Apr 2011
INFORMATION SECURED BY THE NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY
ValtElfMar 3, 2021 12:08 PM
Mar 26, 2013 11:09 AM

Nov 2010
Flevalt said:
Is there really a reason to watch Toriko?
Do people need one other than they enjoy it?

Flevalt said:
I like Shounen in general and am not too picky with them.

Bleach is cool cause of the good animations and neat looking characters.
Naruto has a ton of characters and a neat ninja setup.
One Piece has a very interesting Devil fruit and Pirate concept.
Magi has an exotic vibe to it.
Ao no exorcist...etc.
Beelzeb....etc.
etc.

My point being, how can food be an interesting concept for a shonen?
The same way sailing is for One Piece and learning jutsus in Naruto. How am I supposed to know what's interesting for you, it has an ok rating and over 7000 people watching it on this site, it's very popular in Japan with higher tv ratings than Bleach, Naruto, Magi, Ao no Exorcist, etc, there are also reviews that you haven't read. I don't get the point of this question, you know that food is a big part of the setting and draw for the series from the synopsis, yet you're asking what the draw is.

Flevalt said:
Is it like someone took Hunter X Hunter and made a main story out of the Gourmet Hunters?
Or is the main point of the anime just slice of life comedy instead of actual shounen with an interesting setup and super powers?
It is similar to a food hunter in Hunter x Hunter. It's a battle shounen where the mains travel to fantasy like places(like in One Piece but more over the top) to search for food or ingredients that are usually over the top and fantasy like. Food is very important in the world, the economy is based on it, women would rather get food than a wedding ring, it's even connected to how they train and get stronger. It's not dark, it's more like One Piece where it's lighter and is supposed to be about fun and adventure.

If you're thinking about watching try the first 6 episodes, that will go through like 3 or 4 small arcs, later there are bigger and better ones. The first episode is a crossover with One Piece, so after watching episode 1 you can go watch One Piece episode 492 for the rest of their little story. There is also another crossover much later, you can use the wikias to figure that out though.
Mar 26, 2013 11:12 AM

Dec 2012
Bleach had nice animation ?
No it is really boring plus it is a total sausage fest.
Mar 26, 2013 11:47 AM

Oct 2008
tsudecimo said:
Bleach had nice animation ?
No it is really boring plus it is a total sausage fest.

Bleach is one of the weaker ones, no question. but it does have really good animation for such an anime, we gotta give it credit for that.

As for the OP's question: Toriko is mostly about hunting and food, with kind of a One Piece atmosphere, but don't expect it to be nearly as good though..
Apr 6, 2013 7:14 AM
Jun 2012
Well, if you are into manga, just go read it instead of watching the anime. It is way more violent and has features I personally loved.

Taking a look at your manga and anime lists I can say that:

-the manga's narrative resembles to Chimera Ants arc, in the way, it has lots of narrations and explanations around what is happenning, so if you liked that in CA that is definitely a plus.

-Toriko's fights are a mix between EPIC stuff from DBZ and some HxH strategy although I must admit it is a lot more about being EPIC than strategy.

-Toriko has an AMAZING world building, it shows off so much things from small objects of the daily life in Toriko's world to huge organizations and groups that coexist around Toriko's universe in a way everything feels like it could actually happen someday (I'm no saying it will :P).

-NOW the MOST important, the world DOES revolve around food just like One Piece revolves around pirates but, just like in One Piece, you can really feel the love the author has for the subject and even if it sounds ridiculous at first the immersion you get while reading is huge.

These are all MY opinions around the MANGA so, you might not think the same while reading it and certainly you will NOT feel the same watching the anime, which I can barely have fun watching.

So, final consideration is: do NOT watch the anime because the manga is MUCH better. But if you know for a fact you won't read the manga for whatever reason then go watch the anime because although not nearly as good and detailed it does move faster. Hope I was able to help :)
Apr 6, 2013 9:04 AM

Oct 2007
Flevalt said:
My point being, how can food be an interesting concept for a shonen? Is it like someone took Hunter X Hunter and made a main story out of the Gourmet Hunters?
Or is the main point of the anime just slice of life comedy instead of actual shounen with an interesting setup and super powers?

Well, as it was said before, Toriko is kind of mix between One Piece, Hunter x Hunter and DBZ I think. One Piece and Hunter x Hunter for the world and DBZ for the design (?) at least for Toriko's design since in HxH and OP there are more bishounen type than big strong body...
One of the main difference from OP and HxH, except the chara design, is that all the characters are adults! In OP there began around 15, in HxH 13 (?), in Toriko it's more 25 (even Komatsu!)
An other big difference it's the length of the fights! Well in HxH it's not too long neither but there are fights/training in all (almost all?) episodes. In Toriko it's more finding food, cooking, eating and sometimes fighting the beast to eat it! Some arcs are more fighting the the antagonist organization, but still no more than 2episodes (3?) for one fight (for all characters together). Maybe there will be more fights/long fights when there will go to the Gourmet world... I don't read the manga (yet) so I don't know!

So, for me (and a lot of others) it's enjoyable! I like OP but the tooooo long fights are sometime boring for me.
Just one complain, the mangaka should add a chara like Hisoka ^o^
Apr 6, 2013 9:14 AM
May 2012
Well Toriko had been in top 5 of Jump TOC, sometimes beating even the Big 3. I suggest you read the manga rather than the anime, and ignore those review because Toriko anime has limited views because the lack of Fansubs doing it. (So far only A-Destiny subs for english version) :)
Apr 6, 2013 10:01 PM

Jun 2012
Apr 9, 2013 11:12 PM

Jul 2007
YorozuyaGinSan said:

That was completely and utterly disrespectful and uncalled for. The OP really only wanted to know what basic concepts and elements the series strives as a shonen involving food, because yes by shonen standards, it does seem kind of awkward. I have not seen it yet so i can't really give an opinion in the matter.

But if i had, i would give a full detail aylsis based on my experiences like i do with every other shonen, bleach, naruto, one piece, etc.

Apr 10, 2013 10:46 AM

May 2008
Yes, avoid anime, it is made for kids i think, because it has some unnecessary filler and censors, current manga arc is very good and brutal.
Apr 10, 2013 11:28 AM
Oct 2009
no. i'd say try the anime first. both are awesome, but ya, the anime is censored. one good way to enjoy the anime is to watch it first, cause if u read the manga first, and later decide to watch the anime, u'll be watching with a certain expectation in mind.

it's a really awesome shounen. don't go with reviews, just try it out urself and judge
Apr 10, 2013 4:09 PM
Jun 2012
zangetsukakashi said:
no. i'd say try the anime first. both are awesome, but ya, the anime is censored. one good way to enjoy the anime is to watch it first, cause if u read the manga first, and later decide to watch the anime, u'll be watching with a certain expectation in mind.

it's a really awesome shounen. don't go with reviews, just try it out urself and judge

I'm sorry but I disagree with you. Yes, if you read it and than try watching the anime you won't enjoy the anime but that is only because the manga is superior in pretty much every aspect. To me watching the anime is just a way (a bad one, I must say) to spoil yourself about the amazing narrative the manga has to offer.
And on a side note to the OP I really hope you haven't watched the One Piece cross over because not only it is bad but it also spoils lots of stuff that is only told later in the manga.
Dec 27, 2013 2:03 AM
Dec 2013
I really recommend the show, it is from the makers of one piece. I just finished the series and found my self here looking for a new anime to watch. I made this account so i can let you know alittle insist. I have not read rules but from here is alittle spoilers.
epi 99 fucking goku yes Son Goku makes an appearance with FUCKING monkey LUFFY! and they do a race and battle royal fight. The concept is like one piece but rather then an age of pirates its an age of good food. toriko gains power with eating good food. alot of fight scenes and the fights are amazing!
Dec 27, 2013 3:03 PM

Nov 2012
im glad u like toriko but the crearor of toriko is shimabukuro mitsutoshi

:D
Jan 11, 2014 7:14 AM

May 2010
dont watch. READ. the anime does the manga absolutely no justice.

i watch it myself cause simply fun to watch most fo the time.
Jan 21, 2014 1:30 PM
Aug 2013
You definitely need to watch Toriko or at the very least give it a try(Probably like first 10 episodes or so). I was very skeptical at first since I thought the whole food idea was very stupid, but I got bored one day, decided to watch it, and immediately got hooked.
Sep 10, 2015 10:21 AM
Nov 2011
PEOPLE!!!You need to understand that you MUST NOT WATCH THE TORIKO ANIME!!!You must read the manga because the anime just spits all over it and makes it look like a shadow of its former self.Think of the Toriko anime as the 4kids version of One Piece
Dec 4, 2015 4:59 PM

Apr 2008
There are three main reasons why Toriko can be better than the other long shounen at times

1. Food. A focus on food and hunting makes all viewers extremely hungry. This makes it more enjoyable to eat food while watching.

2. Adventure. There is actual adventure in Toriko that is only really rivaled by One Piece.

3. Bromance. The relationship between the two main characters is awesome.

Sa6uto1 said:
PEOPLE!!!You need to understand that you MUST NOT WATCH THE TORIKO ANIME!!!You must read the manga because the anime just spits all over it and makes it look like a shadow of its former self.Think of the Toriko anime as the 4kids version of One Piece

you manga elitists need to stfu. in every thread you're preaching your bs. no one cares. enjoy both if you want. let people watch anime for once....
Jan 29, 2016 9:28 PM
Jul 2010
I just finished the anime and have in plan to read the manga.
At first I was skeptical about the food thing, but I gave it a try. Surprisingly, I developed fast a liking to the whole World of Toriko. The story was decent, the characters interesting and the battles enjoyable. But the problem is that this anime is just another commercialized one. Made for kids, made to last long and to earn money. Not to mention that it was horribly animated. No wonder that many people recommend the manga over the anime. I would probably do the same.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toriko Episode 5 Discussion

Game_Master - May 3, 2011

21 by PlasticRobot »»
Oct 28, 2023 8:36 PM

Poll: » Toriko Episode 3 Discussion

EvilSynner - Apr 19, 2011

29 by PlasticRobot »»
Oct 27, 2023 1:29 PM

Poll: » Toriko Episode 38 Discussion

Cetais - Dec 27, 2011

11 by Frippy_ »»
Apr 13, 2023 7:25 AM

Poll: » Toriko Episode 101 Discussion

IntroverTurtle - Apr 22, 2013

16 by nightjasmine »»
Mar 2, 2023 4:18 AM

Poll: » Toriko Episode 147 Discussion

SilentTruth - Mar 29, 2014

42 by Gator »»
Jan 16, 2023 3:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.