Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2013 1:52 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow. I'm surprised that hardly anyone is discussed this anime at all. Anyway, I started watching this because it features the Kawamori/Kanno combo that has given us jewels like Escaflowne or Macross Plus. I don't think this will be as good, but as far as first episodes go it's not the worst either. Music is as good as expected and while the art looks really dated for being a 2001 production, the animation is pretty good.The voice acting though is a bit substandard IMHO.

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 28, 2014 11:19 PM

Jul 2008
Yoko Kanno must do every anime soundtrack...ever. She's just that damn good.

Aside from that, this was an okay start but talk about a trial by fire.
Aug 6, 2014 2:13 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, that music. How did I miss this show??

Anyways, the setup and premise is decent but the MC kinda pisses me off in the beginning. Let's hope this will have a good story because it has the right mechanics so far.
Aug 30, 2015 11:00 AM

May 2012
Oh wow that sure was something else! Didn't expect that at all but one thing is sure, I like it!
Jan 1, 2017 3:07 AM

Jul 2011
No wonder I thought the music was godly!! Yoko Kanno! <333333

Yeah, animation looked dated, but still done well imo. It really fits the mood of the series. Voice actor for Juna has weird intonation though, dunno how that will affect me. But overall I'm kinda impressed. 80% thanks to Yoko Kanno working her magic.
Feb 26, 2017 12:52 PM

Sep 2012
-whoo's, talking bout conscious anime
Apr 26, 2017 9:37 PM

Jun 2013
Not a bad start, could end up really good or really bad.
Jun 12, 2017 2:24 AM
May 2011
I had to watch this episode dubbed because the subtitles were messed up on my copy. Don't. Tokio sounds like Sonic the Hedgehog.
Nov 8, 2017 6:19 PM

Jul 2016
this certainly surprised me. i was coming into here believing that i was just going to watch a generic mecha anime where the girl saves the day but i got so much more. i was actually beginning to wonder if i had stumbled upon a movie instead and checked the timer to find out that wasn't the case! it feels like it has the potential to be one. the only things i dislike is the fact that arjuna's appearance is a little meh and her transformation is -pretty ugly i'm not gonna lie-. the stone doesn't look right on her forehead, perhaps it is a fault of the animation? my opinion is, that the gem should be quite visibly encrusted in there, like it can't come out. what got me interested was that chris was the previous avatar of time, i do hope that they dwell onto his past in a episode if he ever turns out to be a prominent/active character. already a favorite character.
that irl ending though. it's strange that it's not higher rated than it is, not even a 7... maybe it'll get worse later on? i don't know.
Cazqui-09Nov 8, 2017 6:30 PM
Nov 16, 2017 4:25 PM

Feb 2016
Wow I can vaguely remember when I was watching a few episodes of Arjuna on TV back in the early 2000s. All I know is that the music was awesome of this anime. That's why I'm very curious to see the whole series for the first time.
Dec 30, 2018 12:43 AM
Oct 2018
Wow- that Sasaki Shirou production they have in common is super-obvous. The rotoscoped animation looks identical to RahXephon (not a bad look tbh). Both have that overly-serious, borderline preachy writing style, too.
Sep 28, 2019 12:35 AM

Aug 2015
landfills, locusts, dead fish, starving African kids and American hamburgers
oof, this anime not pulling any punches

magical girl + tokatsu genre fusion
gigguk voice bad CG

Environmentalism seems like a theme of anime of the 1990s and 2000s as the first millennium ended (Miyazaki is the only example I can tihnk of from the 1980s)- Shangrila (2008), Princess Mononoke (1998), Blue Gender (1999), Blue Seed (1994) [and the magatama is also featured in Blue Seed, which is practically the same scenario of a high school girl chosen one working with a government agency fighting environmentalist monsters]. In the intervening time, the USA has increased its natural gas production and China has increased its coal pollution, which poisons the air with far more radiation than nuclear fission. As I'm typing the Amazon is burning to death and surprisingly I haven't seen any 2010s anime or have heard of any dealing with climate crisis, after the Fukushima nuclear disaster in 2011 even. It's like anime has withdrawn into the otaku world of fetishes and isekai du jour, precisely what Anno feared in End of Evangelion.
Apr 22, 2023 7:06 PM
Mar 2022
to me this anime is pure bliss i found this bitch on a whim and iv got to say im loving all of it and to anyone that sees this i recommend it to you like it or not i do and i hope this experience can be shared to u :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Earth Maiden Arjuna Episode 3 Discussion

meneope - Dec 9, 2009

7 by nhkam »»
Mar 12, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna Episode 11 Discussion

Farabeuf - Mar 9, 2013

4 by totherpage95 »»
Feb 29, 6:56 PM

Poll: » Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna Episode 7 Discussion

Crochax - Jun 25, 2013

5 by totherpage95 »»
Feb 29, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna Episode 13 Discussion

Farabeuf - Mar 11, 2013

13 by Bles- »»
Oct 19, 2023 3:57 AM

Poll: » Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna Episode 10 Discussion

TyrantRC - Apr 8, 2014

4 by OweynLupton »»
Apr 21, 2023 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.