Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 29, 2007 10:49 AM

Sep 2007
Recently purchased the Cromartie High School Boxset DVDs after watching the entire series on youtube half a year back, and I'm really disappointed in how they censored and manipulated all the subs around.

i.e.
DVD Version: "Happy Birthday, Man. Happy Birthday, you idiot."
Real Version: "Happy Birthday, Asshooole. Happy Birthday, you piece of shit."

I thought the nonstop use of all these delinquents using terms like "Mother Fucker, Asshole, piece of shit" back and forth at each other really added to the feel of just how badass these guys thought they were, and seeing all the insults turned around to words like "Man." is just pathetic and ruins a lot of the humor. So avoid the DVD if you can, at least for your first time watching the series through.

p.s. Anyone know which group did the subs that accurately subbed the swearing in?
Jun 17, 2008 8:11 AM

Apr 2008
Baka-Anime ripped the DVD's subs, so I assume the other available group is better.
Oct 11, 2008 7:09 PM

Oct 2007
cetuskun said:
The subs aren’t necessarily wrong just because the translation is different. The fansubbers just tend to put more swearing in the subtitles. If you want to be literal about it kono yarou literally means "this guy" but since it is considered rude in Japanese swearing is basically the equivalent. But unless the swearing is in English the translation is just as correct. In fact the different groups that subbed the series probably all winded up with different translations. I’m not a big fan of ADV’s subs myself (though for different reasons -- I don't like how they sometimes use different names in the subs than you hear in the dialogue for characters but that’s a whole different issue entirely.)

Yeah but the fansubs [good ones] give us [the people who can't watch raw] a more "into" feeling of the anime. They may be wrong, or perfectly right, perfectly accurate, nonetheless it's still good to have a more feeling or image to the real storyline, or at least a reflection on the title of the series.

I don't think I made much sense there, lol.
Oct 11, 2008 7:19 PM

Nov 2007
I don't seem to recall there being all that course language in the original, so the DVDs are probably more accurate while the fansubs took more creative freedom with the translation.
Oct 11, 2008 7:31 PM

Apr 2008
Asako said:
I don't seem to recall there being all that course language in the original, so the DVDs are probably more accurate while the fansubs took more creative freedom with the translation.

The original dialog uses coarse language, yes. Rather, stuff considered exceptionally rude and the equivalent of English curse words. Most characters use what is considered "yakuza slang" and directly translated would be like you bastards and you asshole.

However, in the official subs they tone it down unnecessarily.
Oct 11, 2008 7:33 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah, they use rude language, not course language, from what I remember. They're very impolite and use a lot of slang, but don't say 'shit' and 'fuck' a lot. o.O
Oct 11, 2008 7:34 PM

Apr 2008
Asako said:
Yeah, they use rude language, not course language, from what I remember. They're very impolite and use a lot of slang, but don't say 'shit' and 'fuck' a lot. o.O

There really aren't Japanese equivalents to "shit" or "fuck."

Most fansubs don't go that far either, the ones I watch basically kept it to asshole, which is much more believable than these guys saying "idiot" and other kiddy type insults.
Nov 18, 2008 9:46 PM

Jul 2008
Cromartie High School is one of the few series where I watched the dub instead. Great voice acting.
Nov 22, 2008 3:43 PM

May 2008
There are no "swear words" in Japanese, just different levels of politeness. If you want something close to the original dialog, then learn the language, because I'll tell you, most fansub translators do not know anywhere near a native level of Japanese.
Jan 13, 2009 3:20 PM
May 2008
ShaolinRibiero said:
Cromartie High School is one of the few series where I watched the dub instead. Great voice acting.

i did the same but recommending others watched it dubbed is like talking to a brick wall
Jan 22, 2009 11:10 PM

Oct 2008
I'm watching it through Anime-Supreme's version. It seems they must have used the DVDs as well, since there's no swearing at all and they say "fudgin" instead of what I assume would be "fucking".

Regardless I still find the show hilarious. :D
May 25, 2009 3:26 PM

Sep 2008
ShaolinRibeiro said:

Same here. Dub works really well with this show, because of its frantic, break-neck speed. A lot of the jokes in Cromartie High School is where something random is happening, and then the characters say something really fast just before a sudden scene change. It's just not quite as funny when you have to read it, and new jokes are already happening when you're still reading it.
And the voices for every single character seemed absolutely perfect anyways in the dub. Especially Mechazawa. =D
Also, Kamiyama's voice actor is just right. Gotta love his singing voice! XP

(I do watch most animes subbed, but every now and then you get a real nugget like this one in the dark, cold world of dubbed anime)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2009 11:56 AM

Mar 2009
joes_noose said:
ShaolinRibiero said:

i did the same but recommending others watched it dubbed is like talking to a brick wall

I watched all the episodes subbed and some of them dubbed. I have to say Japanese and English dub are great, it works in both languages. But sadly.... as you say, most people think all american dubs suck so they don't even give it a chance. Well... their loss.
Aug 7, 2009 12:07 PM

Aug 2008
joes_noose said:
ShaolinRibiero said:

But if you watch it dubbed, you don't get to hear Norio Wakomoto's glorious voice!
Aug 8, 2009 11:06 AM

Aug 2009
I actually find the tamer dialogue funnier for the dub. In my opinion, it's amusing to hearing a tough guy yelling "I'll fudgin' kill you". I might watch the sub for Norio Wakamoto's Mechazawa, but the dub really grew on me and choosing the "either/or option" on my DVD is tough if both versions offer the same greatness.
Aug 20, 2009 1:05 PM
Jul 2008
The opening song was so funny, the actual episode was almost not good enough! (it was still pretty funny though :P).

Otherwise, I did watch a subbed version and even though I do not speak Japanese fluently, I can see that liberties were taken while translating. Anyway, you can never really translate from a language to another so I guess one can only argue how good the adaptation was. Since such judment is highly subjective, I see no end to the arguing! :P
kerlyenaiAug 20, 2009 1:09 PM
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Nov 5, 2009 11:48 AM
Jul 2008
YoungVagabond said:

Yes, the voice acting was superb. Dub was one of the best ever.

And the way I see it, they didn't "tone the language down" so as not to offend anyone (ADV can use quite coarse language in their dubs sometimes), I think they toned it down for a more ironic funny. Everytime one of these tough guys says "Fudgin'" I think it's hilarious. Bad language is not always funny and sometimes fansubs can go overboard with it in trying to convey the intensity of a situation that they end up achieving the opposite.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cromartie High School Episode 24 Discussion

Mon_Diamond - May 18, 2011

23 by Sawada_10 »»
Jan 28, 4:59 PM

» Sakigake!! Reiwa no Otokojuku

otakuweek - Dec 17, 2023

4 by otakuweek »»
Dec 17, 2023 4:41 PM

» How much funny this anime compare to....

RjtheGreat14 - Sep 29, 2023

6 by RjtheGreat14 »»
Dec 7, 2023 8:51 PM

Poll: » Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou Episode 21 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 21, 2011

20 by Occupyingmyeyes »»
Aug 30, 2023 1:58 AM

Poll: » Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

blumenma - Nov 4, 2009

73 by stunta »»
Aug 13, 2023 12:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.