Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 13, 2013 12:55 PM

Jun 2007
I love me some basugay and I've been into anime for a long time.

However, I don't feel you can really compare the shows because - while both having the same sport as a focus - they are entirely different STYLES of storytelling. Kuroko no Basuke is a battle shounen thrown onto a basketball court, and this actually works really well for it and plays to the author's strengths. He's admitted not knowing all that much about basketball before it even got animated, albeit he did say he's taking learning it very seriously (which shows given the series did start getting a little more realistic about some of the rules and things), while also keeping the series as what it is - a battle shonen with a unique setting for it.

Slam Dunk is more like a sports shonen, which actually puts it into an entirely different genre.

If you're too dumb to recognize the difference of a battle shounen and sports shounen - just because they happen to have the same setting - that's nobody's fault but your own.
Apr 17, 2013 10:14 AM

Apr 2013
Candor said:
Another thing, KnB will never make me marathon 5 volumes in 1 hour, that's how amazing SD was.

I definitely agree with this, haha. When I started reading SD, I was really into it. It makes me not want to stop, so I'm going with SD than with KnB.

I can't really say the things that makes SD more epic, but in my own opinion, maybe I just like to see how the protagonist struggles in getting better. Because in KnB, Kuroko is already one of the best.

Another thing I don't like about KnB is it's unrealistic feel. May as well turn it into a card game. It's like, "Go, Kuroko, use Misdirection", haha.

Well, this is just my opinion though. It still depends on the reader.
Apr 18, 2013 5:54 AM
Apr 2013
I was so relieved to see that post when I google'd it and YES I google "Slam Dunk is better than Kuroko Basuke" word by word. I totally feel you and for those implying it's a juvenile practice to ask for people to bad mouth a popular opinion I will nicely suggest for them to GTFO. =)

His request is not only legitimate in my humble opinion but I swear after reading and hearing so much about this supposedly amazing/great new sport manga, someone like me - both a basketball and manga enthusiast - was greatly disappointed.

I won't be shy around the subject and imply I like/enjoy both works because to me KnB was ridiculous. I admit I was harsher on it because this is a sport I played competitively and Slam Dunk changed my world but it just felt like another Eyeshield 21 or Prince of Tennis to me except the characters are less memorable (I didn't even bother learning any names through my 100 chapters try of the manga). Feels like it's all about bishies. But I don't watch anime anymore, this is strictly from the manga, maybe it's one of those weird case where anime IS better.

Anyway, I won't bad mouth since some people seem to be sensitive and really I don't have anything BAD to say about it because it just didn't reach me at all. It's sport THEMED (like someone mentioned). Anyway, overrated protagonists (both irl and in the manga) and super unrealistic moves apart, it broke my heart when I realized people can't recognize art. Slam Dunk is so much more than an adrenaline rush. So that's why I google and found this life-saving post. Thank you ! This feels like some support group honestly, my sanity is saved. Actually just made an account to tell you that =)
michelicious11Apr 18, 2013 6:00 AM
Apr 18, 2013 6:13 AM

Mar 2013
Slam Dunk is all in the past. Today, Is all about KnB. SD had its time to shine. Now is KnB turn. Stop hating.
Apr 18, 2013 6:20 AM

May 2012
Harutora said:
Slam Dunk is all in the past. Today, Is all about KnB. SD had its time to shine. Now is KnB turn. Stop hating.

You're like comparing the :hack// series with SAO. ''hack// series is all in the past, it had its time to shine. Now its SAO turn. Stop hating ''

Quality will always be quality , it doesn't matter which timezone it is.

KNB turn to shine ? Just because there is no other same bkb genre to compete with ? I called that as running a race without a competitor

Thus, people compared KNB with SD , because SD is an all time favorites and its still running in people hearts

/inb4 cheesy
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 18, 2013 6:24 AM

Jun 2009
KnB is pure shit! only some simple minded fujoshi who fap to KnB every night and ppl that only care about art quality saying KnB is better

Slam dunk show you how to be hero from zero. in fact, when I was still a kid, I learned how to block, rebound, lay-up from slam dunk.
Apr 18, 2013 7:23 AM
Mar 2011
sorry in sales you cannot SD is the 2nd biggest selling manga ever
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 18, 2013 1:06 PM

Sep 2009
DateYutaka said:
sorry in sales you cannot SD is the 2nd biggest selling manga ever

I'm pretty sure Slam Dunk is the 4th biggest selling (Dragonball is the 2nd). What's your source on that?

Also, I'm just going to leave this here: http://theotaku2anime.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/stop-comparing-slam-dunk-and-kuroko-no-basket/
Apr 18, 2013 1:12 PM
Jul 2012
slam dunk
Apr 18, 2013 1:24 PM

Oct 2011
Stop spamming?
May 14, 2013 7:36 PM
May 2013
The only reason i would say thats bad about Slam Dunk is the fact that the anime is incomplete. I was completely disappointed, because i watch more anime than read manga. I just wished they could finish. And knb cannot even be compared to slam dunk. The only thing in common between them is basketball but thats it.
May 15, 2013 5:32 AM
Oct 2012
I'm sure Slam Dunk is a better manga, but both animations get me on my nerves.
May 15, 2013 8:29 PM

May 2012
RicoDaMann said:
The only reason i would say thats bad about Slam Dunk is the fact that the anime is incomplete. I was completely disappointed, because i watch more anime than read manga. I just wished they could finish. And knb cannot even be compared to slam dunk. The only thing in common between them is basketball but thats it.

That would be the same as Berserk, Break Blade, Chrno Crusade, Kyo Samurai Deeper, Samurai X and most manga out there.

Lots of anime didn't complete the manga or stay faithful to the original work.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
May 15, 2013 8:46 PM

Nov 2010
Tommk said:
RicoDaMann said:

That would be the same as Berserk, Break Blade, Chrno Crusade, Kyo Samurai Deeper, Samurai X and most manga out there.

And that's why I and a lot of other people rated down those series and others like them. The manga readers see it as a good adaptation of part of the manga, but anime only watchers see it as a half finished story, a big flaw. Sakuragi showed promise, but we never got to see what happened to it.
May 16, 2013 1:21 AM

Apr 2013
Really don't see the similarity.
May 16, 2013 7:05 AM

May 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Tommk said:
RicoDaMann said:

And that's why I and a lot of other people rated down those series and others like them. The manga readers see it as a good adaptation of part of the manga, but anime only watchers see it as a half finished story, a big flaw. Sakuragi showed promise, but we never got to see what happened to it.

May 18, 2013 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
srsly people #_# you can't compare anything to slam dunk i watched like 60 episodes in one day i even bought cd's to watch it faster but kuroko no basuke i watched 2-3 episode/s and dropped it *_* Slam dunk is legend dude by the way i gave kuroko 2nd chance because i dropped the series after finishing episode 1 then dropped it again after watchng episode 2 or 3 i don't even remember

BY THE WAY i respect kuroko no basuke fan base and everything but it's just my opinion so also please respect my opinion & thanks for understanding
removed-userMay 18, 2013 4:00 AM
May 18, 2013 4:44 AM
Oct 2012
I've been watching Slam Dunk this past few days, and if I can line out a basic difference that'd be that Kuroko turns basketball into some sort of shounen battlefield (special powers, hellish awesome skills), while Slam Dunk is way much realistic. I can perfectly enjoy both, but if I had to choose, I'd choose Slam Dunk.
May 24, 2013 5:25 PM

Oct 2011
Slam Dunk has transcended Anime. KnB did not.
May 24, 2013 5:35 PM

Nov 2010
ZaWaldo said:
How has it transcended anime? By having an unfinished one?
May 24, 2013 5:46 PM

Oct 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
ZaWaldo said:

It helped increase the popularity of Basketball in a lot of countries (I know it did in my country) and was a quite the worldwide phenomenon at the time.
May 24, 2013 5:52 PM

Nov 2010
ZaWaldo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ZaWaldo said:

It helped increase the popularity of Basketball in a lot of countries (I know it did in my country) and was a quite the worldwide phenomenon at the time.
How much? And KnB is a new anime and story, so you can't say it did not, you can say it hasn't yet. And that has nothing to do with the quality of an anime.
May 24, 2013 6:31 PM

Oct 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
ZaWaldo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ZaWaldo said:

How much? And KnB is a new anime and story, so you can't say it did not, you can say it hasn't yet. And that has nothing to do with the quality of an anime.

Well I can't give you actual statistics about this :p BUT I can say that everyone in my school started playing basketball because of it, even made me join a basketball club and was hearing similar stories from SD fans from other countries. It's a given that when reading about Takehiko Inoue (or the SD legacy), inspiring a whole generation of Japanese youth to playing this sport is always cited among his achievements.
Well, it wouldn't have had that much of an impact and such positive reception if it wasn't a quality product wouldn't it? It's definitely more revered than KnB and I only mentioned this because I don't want to delve deep into comparing both of their plot/pacing/characters since as another poster mentioned before they're really too different to compare and aim for a completely different audience for me to compare them head to head.
May 24, 2013 7:17 PM

Nov 2010
ZaWaldo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ZaWaldo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ZaWaldo said:

Well I can't give you actual statistics about this :p BUT I can say that everyone in my school started playing basketball because of it, even made me join a basketball club and was hearing similar stories from SD fans from other countries. It's a given that when reading about Takehiko Inoue (or the SD legacy), inspiring a whole generation of Japanese youth to playing this sport is always cited among his achievements.
Well, it wouldn't have had that much of an impact and such positive reception if it wasn't a quality product wouldn't it? It's definitely more revered than KnB and I only mentioned this because I don't want to delve deep into comparing both of their plot/pacing/characters since as another poster mentioned before they're really too different to compare and aim for a completely different audience for me to compare them head to head.
To a point, but that doesn't mean it's better than an anime that hasn't done that. More revered because of the type of story and possibly because KnB has been out for way less time, big popularity takes time, same with big popularity in other countries. So instead of talking about their plot, pacing, characters, etc, you went for something not completely related to the quality of the anime and something that the other anime can't match up against because it's not old enough and isn't popular yet so it hasn't been brought to many countries?
May 25, 2013 11:28 PM
Jun 2009
I loved SD, so naturally I was excited when I heard about Kuroko. Needless to say, I was completely let down. They are polar opposites in every way if you disregard the basketball part.

Slam dunk had that intense rivalry/bromance combo, classic die-hard main character, actual tactics and strategies, and a diverse cast of characters.

KnB had superpowers.
May 25, 2013 11:30 PM

Jun 2011
The reason I don't really like Slam Dunk was because I am not here to see how Hanamichi starting basketball from the scratch. It was boring and slow, real slow.. I think I will get back to it now and skip those unnecessary parts.. If I really like the characters, I might consider going back to watch those I've missed. KnB was more.. unrealistic.. but it was cool

ZaWaldo said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ZaWaldo said:

Not only Slam Dunk, most of the good old anime did, like Major (not that old), or some other that I can't name lol, maybe Hajime no Ippo?

Zealot said:
I loved SD, so naturally I was excited when I heard about Kuroko. Needless to say, I was completely let down. They are polar opposites in every way if you disregard the basketball part.

Slam dunk had that intense rivalry/bromance combo, classic die-hard main character, actual tactics and strategies, and a diverse cast of characters.

KnB had superpowers.

Implying that KnB has no intense rivalry/bromance combo, die-hard main character, and to a lesser extend, actual tactics and strategies?
ToG25thBaamMay 25, 2013 11:35 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 25, 2013 11:33 PM

Nov 2010
Natsu12345 said:
The reason I don't really like Slam Dunk was because I am not here to see how Hanamichi starting basketball from the scratch. It was boring and slow, real slow.. I think I will get back to it now and skip those unnecessary parts.. If I really like the characters, I might consider going back to watch those I've missed. KnB was more.. unrealistic.. but it was cool
Well too bad, he stays like that for basically the whole anime. It's not a complete adaptation.
May 25, 2013 11:37 PM

Jun 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Natsu12345 said:
Well too bad, he stays like that for basically the whole anime. It's not a complete adaptation.

Uhm, is it a good choice to skip through the boring parts and get to the matches, only to come back if the characters are appealing?
May 25, 2013 11:46 PM

Nov 2010
Natsu12345 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Natsu12345 said:

Uhm, is it a good choice to skip through the boring parts and get to the matches, only to come back if the characters are appealing?
Yeah that might be fine, but there is some conflict resolution that brings in a new player that is kind of important(I believe in the middle). You might want to check to make sure with someone who's watched it recently.
May 27, 2013 12:09 AM
May 2013
Slamdunk all day. I guess being a basketball fan helps?
May 27, 2013 12:54 AM

May 2012
arfmaster said:

Woah woah woah, by saying that, people will counter you by saying'' kuroku no basket is about basketball too. So why slamdunk all day ? ''
May 27, 2013 3:15 AM
May 2013
Tommk said:
arfmaster said:

Woah woah woah, by saying that, people will counter you by saying'' kuroku no basket is about basketball too. So why slamdunk all day ? ''

an anime who made Japan love Basketball~
May 27, 2013 6:47 AM

Sep 2009
Tommk said:
arfmaster said:

Because Slam Dunk is about basketball, whereas Kuroko just uses basketball as a medium for its action.
Jun 6, 2013 6:46 PM

Jul 2008
I enjoyed Kuroko no Basket a lot. And yes, it's definitely not the most realistic rendition of basketball, but that's actually what I liked about it. The games were pretty exciting to watch in my opinion. That's not saying I wouldn't like a realistic basketball anime. Can't wait for season 2 by the way.

Because of KnB, I started watching Slam Dunk. I never heard of it before, but I saw it in the recommendations at KnB's page. I'm currently at episode 14, and I do enjoy this one too! Of course, the art cannot be compared to KnB, but it doesn't bother me, I like it. The humor in it is especially great haha

I totally agree with Kolchao's post (#18) on the first page of this topic though, about comparing these two anime:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=524551&show=0#msg19965085

deniz1 said:
I need appreciation for slam dunk also i need some people to bad mouth kuroko no baske.

That's seriously f**king retarted.
Kipi, The Goddess of Cosplay Fanclub and Arisa the Queen of Cosplay Fanclub!

Jun 18, 2013 3:11 AM

Oct 2012
i guess iits kuroko... but i couldn't say more since i've not completed SD

Jun 18, 2013 3:31 AM
Aug 2012
ryshin said:

Complete SD........you will change you mind.

Jun 18, 2013 7:50 AM

Nov 2010
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
ryshin said:

Complete SD........you will change you mind.
No he won't, wide open ending.
Jun 25, 2013 7:34 PM

Dec 2011
It's not like Slam Dunk is above reproach. Some of the humor is just so bad to the point where it gets annoying. Also it takes a looooong time for the MC to develop his skills to the point where he's not completely disappointing in every game. Now I kind of like that it's just that the anime fucking stops right when it's about to get good! If it weren't for that I would enjoy the fact that they went the slightly more realistic and satisfying route. But anyways I'm about to start slowly reading the manga so that's a good sign that it managed to hook me well enough.

Oh and I like kuroko no basket so.... The more unrealistic it is the better, as long as the games are intense because of that.

Now if you want to go the opposite route and actually watch and read realistic sports anime/manga go for some Adachi series instead.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2013 1:05 AM
Aug 2013
slam dunk is always the best because it contains the humour with excitement.Although kuroke baske is also exciting but it lacks the humour that hanamichi saguraki provides.
Oct 4, 2013 1:45 PM
Oct 2013
Its funny how people can judge anime like this, if you are a little smart u would had noticed with the summary of the story that it wouldnt be about your everyday life basketball game....a kid would notice that it wouldnt be realist, u cant compare 2 anime that arnt of the same type just cuz they are both about basketball.... If u like realist anime just stick to them and dont try to downgrade whats not to ur liking and judge people that arnt thinking like you, ive watch both and i prefered KnB cuz im not a basketball fanatic i just like to watch anime with interesting storyline and character that i like, but i wont downgrade SD cuz i think its too realist... well theres funny people everywhere lollll
Oct 12, 2013 4:00 PM

Aug 2013
i like both ..but i enjoy slamdunk!manga more...read the sannoh vs shohoku game...it gave me goosbumps...an knb manga is juz yeah its normal for me but i enjoy it too..anime wise i prefer kuroko because those flashy skills got animated..

overall i still prefer slamdunk a lil bit more than knb
Oct 12, 2013 4:50 PM

Aug 2012
LayedBack said:
It's not like Slam Dunk is above reproach. Some of the humor is just so bad to the point where it gets annoying. Also it takes a looooong time for the MC to develop his skills to the point where he's not completely disappointing in every game. Now I kind of like that it's just that the anime fucking stops right when it's about to get good! If it weren't for that I would enjoy the fact that they went the slightly more realistic and satisfying route. But anyways I'm about to start slowly reading the manga so that's a good sign that it managed to hook me well enough.

Oh and I like kuroko no basket so.... The more unrealistic it is the better, as long as the games are intense because of that.

Now if you want to go the opposite route and actually watch and read realistic sports anime/manga go for some Adachi series instead.

Is not about the humor being bad, you just like it or not, not everyone likes that kind of silly humor. There's tons of people who love SD's humor, personally i just enjoy it and in a couple of occasions i think they push it a little. About the MC you are right; he is a beginner, what were you expecting, to learn everything in a couple episodes? This Anime try to be realistic and as said during the show his improvement is amazing (fast paced). Personally i just think that they take too long to start showing us good games, we get to see the first serious game like on episode 15 and the following games 15episodes later. Aside from that it is great. I wish it would be remade - better quality - with the last arc animated.
Oct 12, 2013 5:15 PM

Nov 2010
pokecenter said:
Is not about the humor being bad, you just like it or not, not everyone likes that kind of silly humor. There's tons of people who love SD's humor, personally i just enjoy it and in a couple of occasions i think they push it a little. About the MC you are right; he is a beginner, what were you expecting, to learn everything in a couple episodes? This Anime try to be realistic and as said during the show his improvement is amazing (fast paced). Personally i just think that they take too long to start showing us good games, we get to see the first serious game like on episode 15 and the following games 15episodes later. Aside from that it is great. I wish it would be remade - better quality - with the last arc animated.
It's the same thing with stories, characters, etc. Some people like them and others don't. Yes, comedy is a very polarizing thing but he can still think the comedy is not well done, comedy anime are not outside of criticism.

He already said that he likes it realistic and how it takes him a while. But what he doesn't like that I also don't like is how because the anime ends early, he never gets out of his beginner phase. So we don't get to see him play well and have any great moments.
Oct 12, 2013 6:05 PM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
pokecenter said:
It's the same thing with stories, characters, etc. Some people like them and others don't. Yes, comedy is a very polarizing thing but he can still think the comedy is not well done, comedy anime are not outside of criticism.

He already said that he likes it realistic and how it takes him a while. But what he doesn't like that I also don't like is how because the anime ends early, he never gets out of his beginner phase. So we don't get to see him play well and have any great moments.

I don't agree with that last sentence, we get to see him play well plenty of times. Not like Rukawa, but that's not surprising. Still despite all his mistakes and lack on fundamentals he got highlights in every important game.
Oct 13, 2013 2:55 AM

Jun 2011
I'll just leave it here, KnB is far more enjoyable than SD, but I know that SD has better story writing and better realism, even though I have yet to get past 6 episodes, and sadly, probably won't get to it anytime soon. and the main reason is not the art, I do watch Ranma 1/2 and stuff..
Oct 13, 2013 3:17 AM
Mar 2011
to answer the op questiom yes it is to even compare them is stupid right one of the most seusessful sports manga ever to this young up start i dont think it will ever coame as close in any msesure on inner industry susess or Multimidia sucess either

SD got better Tv Rating that KnB could ever wish to get
SD is one of the top 5 biggest selling manga of all time i doubt KnB will get any were near the top 50 any time soon [ bfore any one oh its ot been onuy long enough it only took one Piece 7 years to become the biggest sellling manga of all time ]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 13, 2013 3:32 AM

Dec 2012
Nostalgia aside, Slam dunk is slow as fuck.
Oct 13, 2013 5:18 AM
Mar 2011
tsudecimo said:
Nostalgia aside, Slam dunk is slow as fuck.

advatage of being a long runner

Oct 13, 2013 5:41 AM
Oct 2013
SD is for hardcore Basketball fans.

KnB is mix of shounen stuff + great adaptation = popularity rockets high.
Oct 13, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2010
pokecenter said:
I don't agree with that last sentence, we get to see him play well plenty of times. Not like Rukawa, but that's not surprising. Still despite all his mistakes and lack on fundamentals he got highlights in every important game.
Those highlights are the only times that he plays decent. And you know that with the potential he showed early on, that's not all he can do. He still had more goof ups than good plays. Now that would have been fine, if he had eventually grown into a good player, but all we got to see was him as a beginner and then it cut off.

Natsu12345 said:
I'll just leave it here, KnB is far more enjoyable than SD, but I know that SD has better story writing and better realism, even though I have yet to get past 6 episodes, and sadly, probably won't get to it anytime soon. and the main reason is not the art, I do watch Ranma 1/2 and stuff..
It's best to compare realism between shows that try to have it. Obviously KnB isn't trying to be completely real, real =/= good. It's like saying a comedy anime can never be good because it doesn't make me cry like Clannad, they were trying to achieve different things from the first place. I can say KnB has better fantasy. And once again you're commenting on the whole quality of an anime you haven't even seen 6% of.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Mar 24, 2008

79 by oikawaprai »»
May 4, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 46 Discussion

Jawaese - Jul 31, 2011

28 by kudzuken »»
May 2, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 84 Discussion

Zerachroma - Mar 24, 2008

41 by oikawaprai »»
May 2, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 95 Discussion

ember-moon - Jul 12, 2013

6 by bucciest »»
Apr 25, 10:05 PM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 27 Discussion

jacobpaige - Jun 8, 2010

25 by Koumazoku »»
Feb 17, 10:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.