Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Nov 19 - 25

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 28, 2012 2:13 PM

Apr 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
phoenixalia said:
itsvero said:

Dear Production I.G,

Please announce KuroBas season 2 in the near future.

Thank you.

its not gonna happen with that tyrant who hates kurobas on the loose. Twenty events or so have already been cancelled. He even sent a letter telling the company not to air a second season.
until he's caught, we won't get a second season.

Is that really such a big deal? I'll have to send some headhunters after this guy if he keeps me from getting KuroBas season 2.

Theres reports that some of the sponsors for Comiket are in favor of cancelling it due to this dude. Its a serious issue and someone might literally die if a new season gets announced

Nov 28, 2012 2:20 PM

Feb 2010
Isn't it just the japanese being overly scared? If they cower in fear from some random, crazy threats it's like encouraging more people to act like that - it seems to work after all.

Maybe I'll stop them from doing a possible SAO sequel or force them to continue one of my favorites.

I guess I can't understand what they're thinking after seeing too many american movies promote 'We don't negotiate with terrorists', lol.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 28, 2012 2:33 PM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
Theres reports that some of the sponsors for Comiket are in favor of cancelling it due to this dude.

It's gotten that bad? Damn. Unfortunately, this is precisely the kind of reaction the individual wants.

I doubt it'll actually happen since Comiket is far bigger than some of these smaller events, but its still worrying people enough to consider it which is kinda sad. I really hope they're able to catch this guy soon.

Nov 28, 2012 8:13 PM

Feb 2010
Anyone know how many episodes there are on each volume of the Yamato OVA?
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 28, 2012 10:08 PM

Nov 2008
RyanSaotome said:
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
Theres reports that some of the sponsors for Comiket are in favor of cancelling it due to this dude.

It's gotten that bad? Damn. Unfortunately, this is precisely the kind of reaction the individual wants.

I doubt it'll actually happen since Comiket is far bigger than some of these smaller events, but its still worrying people enough to consider it which is kinda sad. I really hope they're able to catch this guy soon.

Comiket being cancelled will be the pits

Can't Homeland security investigate this (man I hate calling on US support for a problem in Japan but it seems like there no other option and it deals with terrorism), they got the FBI to investigate the virus, HS can go in there and catch this terrorist.

Nov 28, 2012 11:39 PM
Mar 2010

Over 20 events have been cancelled now. The guy even sent threatening letters to the station which aired the anime telling them that there will be casualties if a second season is aired.

IMO, cancelling every event is not helping. Its only making things worse. Still, safety of the attendees is at stake. All the same, I would have thought they'd have caught him by now at least.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Nov 29, 2012 12:09 AM

Feb 2012
^
What's up with the staff getting scared? Has the guy done something already before?
Nov 29, 2012 12:36 AM

Aug 2011
Should send in Jack Bauer to clean their shit up.
Nov 29, 2012 1:25 AM

Nov 2009
rederoin said:
kaykenner54 said:

I totally agree with what you are saying but you r missing one thing here: Only a small percentage of people actually import the DVDs. Even then, the one or two DVDs we do buy don't really help. In the end it depends on the Japanese fans buying the DVDs for the sell to go up.

Fans over SAO brought the DVDs and BDs but the majority was Japanese fans. It doesn't matter if we think an anime is good or not, it all depends if the Japanese fans like it enough or not.

But not buying them certainty doesn't help either.

Each single fan, foreign or not, contributes an equal amount by buying the BD(directly from the company behind the anime).
1 single won't contribute much, that is true. But that goes for everything.

^ but a single can make a difference if they contribute, even if it's just a single though
Nov 29, 2012 6:02 AM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:

There just ain't no stopping GirlPan.

Wait... There is an English version for the Amazon Stalker? Or some fans did that by some photo-shopping?

Anyway, PANZER VOR !!!

Also this:

Single CD
*1, 91,907 91,907 Nerawareta Gakuen "Hikaru Monotachi"

Mayuyu (Watanabe Mayu) broke her own solo single record ! Just another reason for me to vote for her again in the next AKB sousenkyo voting event !
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 29, 2012 6:05 AM

Sep 2012
PoeticJustice said:
Japan has shitty tastes, what else is new? Tonari should be near the top though, it is a great rom-com, better than that piece of garbage SAO.

Which country has a refined and laudable taste in popular entertainment in your opinion? At least Japan anime is much better than animation made for entertainment in other countries, except perhaps for a few movies made in America and Europe.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 29, 2012 6:17 AM

Sep 2012
9988 said:
Yes, before SHITTY MOE boom good series sold well, you did not need shitty antics (moe, fanservice, bishounen, yaoi) at all to sell, nowadays only tat crap sells now.

Again I am not sure if you know what you are talking about besides jumping to your favorite distorted view about Moe hurts anime just by this single example of Honey & Clover selling very well. If so, how does it explain the big drop in 2nd season? It is not as if there was a tsunami of Moe in the brief time between Season 1 and Season 2. Also, moe already existed back in Season 1 time. Moe as a concept was not new by mid-00's and you can find quite a bit of fanservice or bishounen shows back then. As for "good series sold well" -- have you really checked how well TV series sold back then?? For one thing, the commercial model was entirely different then -- studios did not need to worry about sales that much. So I really don't know where you base your assertion that "back then good series sold well". It just seems that you want to find a reason to blame for everything you hate for anime nowadays into "shitty antics" and dream up a golden age where such "antics" did not exist and only great anime was found.

Nov 29, 2012 6:31 AM

Sep 2012
I am putting my money where my mouth is, just put in an order for 10 BD imports in addition to orders I had already put in. Hope it helps and if not, I shall enjoy them anyway!
Nov 29, 2012 8:19 AM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
symbv said:
Wait... There is an English version for the Amazon Stalker? Or some fans did that by some photo-shopping?

Pretty sure he just used something like google translate and took a screenshot, hence the somewhat weird wording.

This. I put it on google translate so people would understand what the titles were.

Nov 29, 2012 11:47 AM
Oct 2012
Didn't know there was such hate for SAO tbh... it's not like it's moeblobs or anything, but it seems people just hate what's popular. (Though the current incest-y arc is a bit lame and I hate his sister or whoever she is) I think the hate is a bit unwarranted since SAO isn't particularly that horrible. Kinda generic but it appeals to the masses ~_~

And as for that Mayuyu (Hikaru Monotachi) single, it was produced by a VOCALOID producer (hachiojiP/8#prince) and also had a special edition with a booklet of illustrations by VOCALOID PV illustrators so that could have helped as well.
Nov 29, 2012 12:40 PM

Oct 2007
SAO is hated because it sells so much even though it's bad anime. Enjoyable but with terrible writing.
Nov 29, 2012 2:15 PM

May 2012
I feel Jinrui should've done better.
Nov 29, 2012 4:02 PM
Oct 2012
Progeusz said:
SAO is hated because it sells so much even though it's bad anime. Enjoyable but with terrible writing.

I wouldn't say it's 'bad anime' but it isn't really well written, or at least the pacing for me is just really sluggish. Two episodes would pass by and MAYBE only three events happen to progress the story or a cliffhanger starts up. However, I don't think the writing is why fans of SAO (the anime) like it... if anything, they just want to see what the characters (the driving force of the fandom IMO since Asuna and Kirito are like ahgahfaidaidnhnhngggg, don't care for most of the others) are going to do next and most of them pretty much already know what will happen due to reading the novels.

In fact, is any anime hugely popular because it has 'good writing'? I've only seen a few shows get that sort of praise and they usually are not best sellers.
Nov 29, 2012 5:11 PM

Aug 2012
awwwe wheres Oda Nobuna?! D;
i love them harem,comedy,romance,ecchi's see me around give me some reccomendations ^^

Nov 30, 2012 10:21 AM

Dec 2011
Hmm seems I overestimated the requirement for the full list.

Kaibutsu-kun ranked, even though the BD wasn't as underestimated as the DVD was.

Btooom! completely absent as per expectations.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 30, 2012 10:23 AM

Apr 2010
2500 in't terrible for My Little Monster. It likely won't get it a sequel unless the mangas have been boosted a lot though.

Nov 30, 2012 10:41 AM

Sep 2012
Where is Btooom!? Less than 1061?? That's truly terrible. OK, I know the Amazon stalker puts its final number for the BD at 513, but I still retained some hope that it can make it past the 1k mark... Honestly the production is not bad, and it seems to adapt from the manga pretty well (at least from what I heard from those who read the manga). Oh well.

As for the absence of Hiiro no Kakera or Hyakunin Isshu Utakoi, this is somehow expected though...

Nov 30, 2012 11:26 AM

Sep 2012
Guess we can update that 2012 Fall Vol 1 Rankings then.. Jmal, may I borrow the format you use?

2012 Fall Vol 1 Rankings

Key: Total - # Weeks Charted - Title - Format - Release Date
Updated as of 2012/11/30 list

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10,000 Line - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*6,620 *2 K [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/07
- - - - - - - - - - - Manabi Line (2,899) - - - - - - - - - - -
*2,494 *1 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/21
**,*** ** BTOOOM! [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/21

Now I dread to think about how the sales will turn out for Shinsekai Yori...

Nov 30, 2012 11:36 AM

Apr 2010
How stacked is next weeks releases? If its anything like this week, I can see Shinsekai Yori not even charting like Btooom. MAYBE on BD.

Nov 30, 2012 12:05 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
I think Shinsekai may chart on BD but only barely, and not on DVD.
I have an ominous feeling about whether Shinsekai will chart. From the final score on Amazon Stalker, all the following titles rank higher than Shinsekai Yori v1:

Accel World v5
One-off v1
JoshiRaku v3
Aquarion EVOL v8
Jormungand v6
Queensblade Rebellion v6
Campione v3
KonoImo v3
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu finale OVA v4
Hagure v3
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia v6
Hyoka v6
Nyaruko-san v6
Sangarea v6
Upotte v4
Total Eclipse v3

And then the following BD Box may also chart as well:

Pikachu the movie Box 1998-2010
Motto ToLoveRu BD Box
Strike Witches BD Box

I doubt Shinsekai will chart on the Tuesday chart but it should have a chance in the Friday one.

Ebiten has zero hope of charting I would say.

Nov 30, 2012 12:45 PM

Sep 2012
Bought, already received and watched Tasogare 6, loved it! And Shin Sekai Yori is on its way so will be interesting to see if and how they chart. Belatedly picked up TNK1, preordered Tari Tari 4, TNK2, SINY1, all of GUP, more... See if I can bump the charts all by myself...
Nov 30, 2012 12:52 PM

Dec 2011
I always wondered why the Manabi line is put at 2899. That seems a very specific number for something that would vary a lot from one series to another.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 30, 2012 1:20 PM

Apr 2010
I think it was because Manabi Straight was supposed to be like an "Average budget" type of show and they said they broke even, so people just look at it as the main example of breaking even. Obviously some shows with low budget could probably break even with 2k, and higher budget shows might need 5k.

Nov 30, 2012 1:32 PM

Sep 2012
To be honest, I have never seen any verified report from staff side saying that Manabi Straight broke even. To me this Manabi Line is a kind of subjective measurement created by the Sales Thread people in 2ch to separate the "winners" and "losers". Manabi Straight was an anime with fine animation and production quality and it also has a reasonable fan base, yet it turned out the sales was quite disappointed (at least quite far from meeting the expectation of the sales watchers in the net). It created a lot of reverberations among those Sales Thread chatters back then in 2007, and henceforth any anime that could not perform even better than Manabi Straight was deemed "losers" and so a tradition of measuring the sales performance of an anime series against this "Manabi Line" started to take hold.

Some people might take this to mean a break-even line in general , but I doubt there is really any firm basis for that. Anyway, more recent survey done in 2010 or later indicates that the average cost for one 30-min TV anime episode is around 11 million Yen. If we really want to have a rough picture of whether a series breaks even, it may be better to use that as a starting point instead.

Anyway as time passed, the term "Manabi Line" also took up additional meaning. Since in Japanese "Manabi" means "to learn", so for those 2ch people, any anime that is below that Manabi Line supposedly needs to take it as a lesson "learned" too LOL.
symbvNov 30, 2012 2:05 PM

Dec 1, 2012 4:18 AM

Sep 2012
Final numbers posted, will likely be copied here soon too.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=109291&page=129

2012 11/19~11/25 BD List
-- (21) -- *3,118 **3,118 *1 Eureka Seven AO v6
-- (25) -- *2,477 **2,477 *1 Cardcaptor Sakura BD Box v2
-- (27) -- *2,274 **2,274 *1 Nazo no Kanojo X v6
-- (30) -- *2,053 **2,053 *1 Kokoro Connect v2
-- (31) -- *2,031 **2,031 *1 Soukyuu no Fafner BD Box
-- (33) -- *1,873 **1,873 *1 Rinne no Lagrange season 2 v3
-- (35) -- *1,652 **1,652 *1 Natsu-iro no Kiseki v5
-- (36) -- *1,646 **1,646 *1 Tsuritama v6
-- (37) -- *1,607 **1,607 *1 To LOVE-ru BD Box
-- (40) -- *1,427 **1,427 *1 Kidou Senshi Gundam AGE v10
-- (41) 15 *1,401 172,319 91 Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo (Evangelion 1.11)
-- (43) -- *1,257 **1,257 *1 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun v1
-- (44) -- *1,246 **1,246 *1 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate v3
-- (45) -- *1,213 **1,213 *1 Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai v3
-- (48) 20 *1,157 457,674 46 Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Ha Evangelion 2.22)
-- (50) -- *1,061 **1,061 *1 Binbougami ga! v3
Dec 1, 2012 12:33 PM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
hpulley said:

So soon they were yesterday =P

Not to mention that hpulley was linking to your own post lol

Dec 1, 2012 12:37 PM

Sep 2012
^ Perhaps not that many know the two users in MAL and Mania are the same user I guess?

Dec 1, 2012 12:57 PM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
jmal said:
hpulley said:

So soon they were yesterday =P

Not to mention that hpulley was linking to your own post lol

Sorry for the rift in the space time continuum... Didn't notice it posted yesterday.
Dec 1, 2012 8:24 PM

Apr 2011
Yuru Yuri doing good.... that's all that matters. *grabs smoking pipe and sits back in rocking chair*
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Dec 2, 2012 3:02 PM

Oct 2007
zeoh said:
However, I don't think the writing is why fans of SAO (the anime) like it... if anything, they just want to see what the characters (the driving force of the fandom IMO since Asuna and Kirito are like ahgahfaidaidnhnhngggg, don't care for most of the others) are going to do next and most of them pretty much already know what will happen due to reading the novels.

In fact, is any anime hugely popular because it has 'good writing'? I've only seen a few shows get that sort of praise and they usually are not best sellers.
Yes, you're absolutely right. What I meant is "why people dislike SAO so much". There are many badly written series but most of them thankfully bomb or at least sell lower than expected. When something like SAO shows up and dwarfs shows with much more coherent plot, believable characters etc. I think it's only natural to get irritated. Personally I enjoy this anime (as can be seen on my list) and would like to see more of it but at the same time I understand feelings of some "haters". It sells => there will probably be more shows like that => no profit for fans of other anime. It just hurts more when there is something badly written at the top compared to situation where show with no huge faults which simply didn't appeal to particular person is #1. I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

symbv said:
Some people might take this to mean a break-even line in general , but I doubt there is really any firm basis for that. Anyway, more recent survey done in 2010 or later indicates that the average cost for one 30-min TV anime episode is around 11 million Yen. If we really want to have a rough picture of whether a series breaks even, it may be better to use that as a starting point instead.
It isn't too far from truth then. BDs usually cost 7350 Yen and contain two episodes. 22 mln / 7350 = 2993. Yeah, there many other factors we have to consider but it shouldn't cross 4k line, I think.

symbv said:
^ Perhaps not that many know the two users in MAL and Mania are the same user I guess?
Heh, it took me couple of threads to be sure jmal is the one posting on mania (or rather other way around).
Dec 3, 2012 1:11 AM

Sep 2012
^ Also let's not forget the rental market too, which is the major way for people in Japan to know about anime which they do not watch in real time.

Dec 3, 2012 2:00 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
^ Also let's not forget the rental market too, which is the major way for people in Japan to know about anime which they do not watch in real time.

Is it? I am sure my latest BD, DMA6 says Rental Kinshi (rental not allowed) on the back. Do they sell more expensive rental versions too?
Dec 3, 2012 2:24 AM

Sep 2012
hpulley said:

Is it? I am sure my latest BD, DMA6 says Rental Kinshi (rental not allowed) on the back. Do they sell more expensive rental versions too?
Makers of BD/DVD produce different hard copies for the rental market and the rental disc probably does not contain most of the extra contents found in the retail version (perhaps except the extra OVA if it is part of the bundle).

"Sell more expensive rental versions" is an oxymoron because if the copies are labelled as for "rental" it would not be available for retail sale. Needless to say, discs sold for rental market would not be counted towards sales by Oricon or other sales surveyors.
symbvDec 3, 2012 2:27 AM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

13 by VivavideoUser2x »»
42 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.