Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 30, 2016 1:05 AM

Feb 2014
arienfire said:
I thought the ending was he eventually made it to the city, or the village that Wakasa was from eventually flourished.

Yep, that's what I figured as well. I have to say, that beginning was dark as hell and got me interested immediately. The rest of the film wasn't lacking either, what a great watch!

9/10 for me.
"So wave goodbye to the hope we were born with, and say farewell to the chance of surviving this holocaust of love, this age of lost souls, but I'm holding on with both hands and I'm never letting go."
Oct 3, 2016 3:59 PM

Feb 2016
Avere said:
The 3D was a bit unusual but you get use to it pretty quick. Not a bad movie but it wasn't really the greatest. So at the end was the "Monk" reincarnated into another form? Or was that is son or something? That part threw me off a little bit lol.

Also after the end of the ED there was a top view of some street was there something in that I missed? I didn't really get the point to it lol.

I think that was Asura without hair(as a monk I presume).
Pretty disturbing movie, my only question is if the meat he tried to make her eat was really horses? Or was it human?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Nov 3, 2016 5:55 PM

Jun 2011
Wow that was really dark, I wasn't prepared for this. Despite the low budget though interesting artistic choice, it doesn't really hinder the great story behind it. Great for Asura to have come about his sins and trying to repent, such a great character development that have multiple stages instead of just one that many anime tend to do. The monk was the MVP, unfortunate for him though he lost his arm, but it didn't go to waste. Wakasa was bae, sad to see her die of hunger and did not trust Asura at the end of her life, that was really tragic, but it triggered Asura and made him a better man. The scene when Asura walked past the lover who was carrying Wakasa's corpse was so well done, when tears fell from Asura's face, that's when it hit me, hard!

5camp's review is an example of hating just because he can btw, his review completely misinterpreted the movie, like he was looking the other side of the truth on purpose in order to find the so called 'flaws'. Not surprised a review that came 6 months later than his got more upvotes.

Fintan's review of "characters weren't likeable" is also something I couldn't sympathize with. The kid, Asura first memory was his mom trying to burn him alive and eat him because of her hunger, he grew up that way because that memory was engraved deep in his mind, and the huge plus of this all is the way he came to be, and the fact that he's a young child, it's easy to understand his way of thinking, and you would want to wish nothing but the best for that poor child so that he could come back to the right path. Wakasa and the monk were also pretty likeable, and the lover wasn't bad. I don't get the issue here.

Lastly I wanna just say that Sanji finally got some, but it didn't last long. His luck with woman..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 24, 2016 10:26 PM

Dec 2015
The golden snowflakes near the end were very beautiful.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 16, 2016 9:19 PM

Dec 2015
It was a brutal but moving story with maybe too large ellipses? (although the essential defining moments were certainly shown)
The 3DCGI fits well thanks to the dark colouring tones (a great way to depict this time period), making at times humans look like (dead) creatures. It lend a good dynamism to action scenes. The big downside was the characters faces close-ups where you can see how "stuck" their features are, there were also a few scenes where the 3D computer graphics denote with the beautiful (drawn) backgrounds.
The voices were great: the old Nozawa (famous as Goku from Dragon Ball) makes a great savage kid through her grunts and other sounds while Hayashibara is as good as always as Wakasa. I don't understand how few people say a thing about it here (apart from the "kids program voice actors" being a bad choice).
I first found the music bad then it started to blend in with the rest. I suppose it was an appropriate BGM.

Enjoyment: 5/5 I would definitely read the manga if it was available.

Score: 7/10 The 3DCGI both serves and deserves the movie.
Rei_IIIDec 16, 2016 9:26 PM
May 3, 2017 9:24 PM

May 2016
If only she ate the horse meat damn it! Anyway, it was a pretty brutal movie despite the unusual visuals that touches the concept of the desperate struggle of humans to survive. It's one of the few anime that mom got to watch with me for the most part~

Asura became a monk lol. Those eyebrows can be recognized a mile away.

May 14, 2017 4:09 PM

Sep 2016
the only reason I completed this is because of son goku voice
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 31, 2017 3:01 AM

Jul 2015
Never knew that this movie would be this good.
The animation lacks a lot and CGI but I get used to it in no time.
First part of the movie is kinda hard to watch. The mother part piss me off a little. The monk is badass on how he handled Asura.
Second part is where the interesting part take over. The love, anger, grudge, starvation, survival, and resentment fill along the movie. But in the end, I like how Asura finally managed to be a human.
Thou feel sad for Wakasa's death.

In the end, I am pretty sure that young monk is Asura. A movie that is not for everyone. Pretty solid movie, 7.5/10.
WhyZigleMay 31, 2017 6:03 AM
Jul 14, 2017 8:42 PM
May 2017
Why hasn't this movie been dubbed in English so more people can witness this masterpiece! It was a great movie to me, the animation was different but not terrible. I mean I watched "God Eater" so I could deal with it. Great story and movie!
Feb 20, 2018 9:01 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Powerful and poignant stuff. Even the most feral of humans has inside him the capacity to grow and move on whatever live throws at him. If more people had shown the compassion and care that Wakasa did, he would have been a much different person.

I think this film can also be seen as a metaphor for Japan and its meteoric growth and development after the carnage and brutality of WWII.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 16, 2018 3:21 PM

Oct 2015
Other than the animation the movie was great, the story telling was sad and I loved how Asura's life turned out better.

Being a monk made me very happy and that he survive that fall in the bridge. As for Wakasa I'm saddened she died, but it's because she didn't trust Asura enough that it was horse meat.

The only thing wrong was the animation, I didn't even see clearly even when I rewind it how he killed that lord in the end. But other than that it was a great sob story that I loved and it had a message on top too.

9/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 7, 2019 1:05 AM
Sep 2017
Avere said:
The 3D was a bit unusual but you get use to it pretty quick. Not a bad movie but it wasn't really the greatest. So at the end was the "Monk" reincarnated into another form? Or was that is son or something? That part threw me off a little bit lol.

Also after the end of the ED there was a top view of some street was there something in that I missed? I didn't really get the point to it lol.

That monk was Asura
Nov 9, 2021 12:15 PM

Jul 2011
I feel like the CGI wasn't that good (I have seen CG that looked better) but it wasn't awful either.
Usually, it was good enough but it did have some mediocre moments.

That being said, the entire thing is pretty dark. There aren't that many stories with a plot dwelling into those themes.
Dec 28, 2023 11:36 AM

Dec 2022
One of the most unfailingly outstanding feral children stories I've seen. For Asura, there wasn't any smooth sailing when it came to "learning to be human", and what may as well have been his cursed nature always found a way to drag him back down whenever you thought things were looking up for him. Despite this, Asura's mental development was still fixed in many respects, and no matter what occurred as the narrative unfolded, his attachments to those he grew close to and his newfound grasp of the human language were maintained throughout. Got to believe it acccurately conveys that, while a man who has become a beast is not relegated to being nothing but a beast, it's no easy feat to make him resonate with civilisation either. Indeed, this story was fraught with trials, and Asura himself is no angel, but he still made something of himself through it all.

Should also mention that the action scenes were smooth as butter, and made characters like Asura and the monk look awesome every time. I think this is an excellent movie with a wonderfully visceral narrative, ghostly atmosphere and a nuanced message.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 28, 5:21 PM
Mar 2019
Asura never stood a chance in life.
At least he made something by becoming a Monk.
Watch after the credits.
Excellent songs played at the ending.
bushman66Feb 28, 5:25 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Preview

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2012

12 by Toysand1214 »»
Jan 29, 2021 5:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.