Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2012 12:58 AM

Jun 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Powerful end. Maybe it left too much side stories open but it was indeed a worth and moviing finale for this great manga.
9/10, hope to reread it soon, editor in my country almost dropped this series.
Oct 2, 2012 1:27 AM

Sep 2012
What a perfect ending. I didn't expect to see Triela's daughter after a timeskip. This manga was amazing, I'll give it a 9/10, and it'll stay in my top 5 for a long time.
Oct 2, 2012 1:43 AM

Jun 2007
I'm just happy enough that Rico was one of the few who didn't have some fucked up death. She was always not only my favorite, but seemed to have the worst situation of all of them due to the lack of memory wipe, going on almost every single mission (none of the other girls go on nearly as many as her and she's in almost every single arc of the story), not to mention she's got the highest kill count, which is fine and good and all if you're playing a video game - but not when it's a little girl who so clearly just loves to be alive and shouldn't be out there killing in the first place. So it was nice that she got a good ending to her story.

Seeing Triela's uh...kid, I guess, was nice for a final chapter, but it really didn't give much closure to anything at all. Not just in terms of side stories, but even the main story had nothing ending it at all. I'm a bit disappointed by that, it feels a bit rushed and lazy compared to the rest of the manga which goes into detail for everything and paced itself very well. After all that I figured at least, in terms of the bad guys, there'd be some closure aside just "one of the higher ups" being caught and some other big ones being killed.

The ending itself wasn't disappointing to me, just that it's over I guess. And really, as much as I loved the entire manga, I'm happy enough with the entire series just knowing Rico didn't kill herself or get torn into pieces like some other girls we know.
Oct 2, 2012 2:30 AM

Jul 2009
Wow can't believe it's over, it's been a long time. The ending was good, kinda wish they showed more of the girls, especially my favorite Petrushka, but i'm satisfied.

I got to admit though, my first thought was that the guy was going to be a pedophile and was going to try to do something to her, especially when he mentioned putting her on the net, I'm guessing the author did that on purpose because that's what happened to Triela.
Oct 2, 2012 3:08 AM

Jun 2011
Master_of_Fear said:
I got to admit though, my first thought was that the guy was going to be a pedophile and was going to try to do something to her, especially when he mentioned putting her on the net, I'm guessing the author did that on purpose because that's what happened to Triela.

Yep, I think that the author wanted to make us think that the world is really not as screwed up as we expect or imagine, the man who actually was a good person was meant for us to understand that.
Oct 2, 2012 4:22 AM

Feb 2010
solid ending to a very good manga 8/10.
Oct 2, 2012 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
One of the most amazing manga i've ever read. I doubt ill read anything on its level any time soon.

10/10

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Oct 2, 2012 8:35 AM

Oct 2010
@Master_of_Fear

Lolicon you say? XD You're still quite the optimist, aren't you? I thought human-trafficking syndicate--and like (biological) mother, like daughter I mused (as you did).

@TallonKarrde23

What makes you so sure she didn't suffer, wasn't kia or, in your own words, torn into pieces in another mission/experiment she was likely used for prior to the skip?

Anyway, glad to see this one wrap up nicely. Seeing a photo of Rico on Jean's desk gave me the impression-- a slight glimmer of hope (as the finale would have it)-- that even if she did went through the same shit as either Henrietta or Triela during her last months/year, at least she had Jean to share and ease her suffering even by a bit.

As for Claes, I can only hope she went as peacefully as I imagined Rico did. Rest well and farewell, dear angels.
HAPPY SCANS!
Bringing the COOL in old school!
Oct 3, 2012 7:14 PM

Jun 2007
a1oner said:
What makes you so sure she didn't suffer, wasn't kia or, in your own words, torn into pieces in another mission/experiment she was likely used for prior to the skip?

Anyway, glad to see this one wrap up nicely. Seeing a photo of Rico on Jean's desk gave me the impression-- a slight glimmer of hope (as the finale would have it)-- that even if she did went through the same shit as either Henrietta or Triela during her last months/year, at least she had Jean to share and ease her suffering even by a bit.

As for Claes, I can only hope she went as peacefully as I imagined Rico did. Rest well and farewell, dear angels.

Well, it's certainly possible she did end up that way, but I really find it hard to believe the author who loves so much to hurt the readers by making us see all these things go down would skip out on that. Plus there wasn't even a slight hint to anything like that for either her or Claes.

Claes would still be stuck at base anyway, so chances are she died from health issues at a young age due to all the issues from their conditioning and memory wiping. Rico could have gone the same way or in combat. I'm sure both ended up not really suffering though or they'd probably get some mention of it for the reader. Plus, Jean cared about Rico way too much to let her get fucked up and not end up dead himself trying to protect her if you ask me. That also applies to the experiment part - Rico was never used in experiments, especially because the entire reason she's there is due to her body not working - and thanks to no memory wipe that'd be probably the most godawful thing they could do to her (messing with her body) and I doubt Jean or really anyone would let them.
Oct 4, 2012 6:55 AM

Feb 2010
Valefor said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
Powerful end. Maybe it left too much side stories open but it was indeed a worth and moviing finale for this great manga.

I agree too, but i feel i saw Jose and Henrietta again, like reincarnated
Oct 4, 2012 8:46 PM
Oct 2010
sugarbee said:
Valefor said:

I agree too, but i feel i saw Jose and Henrietta again, like reincarnated

agreed. they looked so similar. damn, cant believe its over. the anime was one of my first to see and then followed the manga. sad to see it end. wish there wouldve been more. the ending felt kind of, empty. still giving the manga a 10 though. was so powerful
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Nov 28, 2012 6:48 AM

Dec 2008
Wow! I really LOVED the manga. I wish the anime would pick up again now that the manga is finished. I would love to see Sandro and Petra in motion. I enjoyed reading every chapter they were in...no matter how brief the appearance.

I suspect Rico is probably still alive. After all, she never had her mind altered...just her body. I believe in one of the chapters, the doctor stated that they can replace body parts, but it's actually the mind that gives out because of all the conditioning.
Jan 14, 2013 9:54 AM

Jul 2010
Nice end. I have to re-read it. There's one thing I wonder.
Did Jean know that gifted girl is a reincarnation from Triela?
Jan 20, 2013 3:56 PM

Jun 2009
kusushi said:
Nice end. I have to re-read it. There's one thing I wonder.
Did Jean know that gifted girl is a reincarnation from Triela?

Well, judging from his reaction - yes. After all, they were really similar, so it was easy to see...

Never saw no miracle of science, that didn't go from a blessing to a curse
Never saw no military solution, that didn't end up as something worse
Nov 15, 2013 7:13 AM

Oct 2009
So many feels. I liked the way it ended, all these deaths were inevitable, but the last chapter made it clear that no matter what the life continues and with it there's hope for the future.

And now time to cry a lot over such great story ending.
Oct 27, 2014 9:25 AM
Jun 2013
After the anime I just came to see what happens afterwards and dam its depressing. Yea there are some hopeful moments but everything between is just freaking sad.
Jan 21, 2015 10:18 PM

Nov 2011
Pretty good manga from start to finish. I wish the anime would of done justice and adapted the remaining chapters for its second season rather than what it went with.

Petra turned out to be one of my favorite characters fro this series. The chemistry between her and Alessandro was realistic and showed a different side of what cyborgs are capable of. Hmm, the ending was alright, wasn't too strong though imo but it had the right message. Still, this was quite a journey in the end. Really loved the depiction of its themes, characters, setting, and thought provoking story. 8/10.
Mar 24, 2015 6:28 PM

Sep 2013
Absolutely great ending. A bit sad and happy, but truely "hopeful".

Did Jean and Enrica's Friend got married?
Apr 1, 2015 5:15 PM
Apr 2015
I don't get it, that ending showed a lesson about hope but I already knew about the concept of hope beforehand. And did Henrietta had a crush on that special forces GIS guy back in volume 60, and she saw the similar GIS unit and remembered her past then went psyched and basically killed Jose and some random GIS guy.

Henrietta became human for once and the shock was definitely killing her.

Jean has survived it all because he doesn't let emotions take control in a battle, Rico was so ideal to his operations and livelihood since she was probably the most disciplined and great fighter. A present of the display between the gap of the emotional being and cold hearted soldiers.

MienApr 1, 2015 5:31 PM
Apr 1, 2015 6:07 PM
Apr 2015
Mien said:
I don't get it, that ending showed a lesson about hope but I already knew about the concept of hope beforehand. And did Henrietta had a crush on that special forces GIS guy back in volume 60, and she saw the similar GIS unit and remembered her past then went psyched and basically killed Jose and some random GIS guy.

Henrietta became human for once and the shock was definitely killing her.

Jean has survived it all because he doesn't let emotions take control in a battle, Rico was so ideal to his operations and livelihood since she was probably the most disciplined and great fighter. A present of the display between the gap of the emotional being and cold hearted soldiers.

Wait, I wasn't very clear if I was making a statement so I'll redo.

Jean and Rico survived all the fights because they were the most disciplined out of the agents and cyborgs. That only goes to show the consequences of getting your feeling up in a battle.
Feb 12, 2016 10:38 AM

Oct 2014
The last 3 volumes were just too much for me to bear. The whole final confrontation was just handled fantastic in my opinion. The atmosphere was tense, the fighting was gritty, the deaths were more than tragic. Jose, Henrietta, Triela and even my fucking main man Hilshire, fuck me, the author went all out. After I saw the cover for the 15th volume I thought that even Claes wouldn't make it out alive and I felt really relieved when the guys at SWA were able to solve the situation peacefully. The last chapter was great too. The video recording of Speranza and Jose donating a dollar was very,very sweet and I'm not ashamed to say that a one or two tears flowed down my cheek. Definitely one of the best manga I've ever read.
May 23, 2016 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
I liked this manga. I just wish they had done a bit more with Henrietta, she was my favorite. Instead they gave more badass scenes to Rico or Triela.
Nov 15, 2016 3:07 PM
Jul 2015
who was the man in the audience on page 117 ?
Apr 5, 2017 4:10 AM
Jul 2018
This ended so powerfully and somberly. And I mean up to the epilogue. IMO the last chapter "The Hope" was aside from a tid bit here and there, really bad and would have done better not to have been in the manga. It takes that amazing conclusion, and that mind blowing final shot of Claes and Jean starring out at the setting sun, and then ruins the meaning with hopey changey best girl ova clone oscar winning bearded German sugar daddy bullshit. One shot I did like was of Jean telling his subordinates to donate a dollar, and the picture of Rico on his desk. Other than that though, I don't even like to consider this chapter cannon. The epilogue though, that was fantastic.
Apr 5, 2017 4:46 AM
Jul 2018
Also, that last page in the epilogue really says so much if you think about it. In it's conclusion, we see the similarities between Cleas and Jean. There personalities couldn't be more different, but there the same in the way that they both ended up in the same place. There the only surviving members of their "Platoon" per say. In the end, after Jean's revenge has been taken, and all of the cyborgs have reached the inevitable end of their lifespan, they both just wander the boat alone, having lost all their friends to the war. Almost like ghosts upon the ship. Claes is to die soon, and Jean has no purpose anymore, so in all likelihood, he is to die soon as well from suicide (Forget about hopey changey final chapter). Jean's first line when he wakes up after the battle was "So I failed to die again". All Jean wanted was to fulfill his purpose and then die. Rico gave him a purpose, but when she died, I suspect he was only waiting for all the cyborgs to die off to kill himself, because it was something he was still "Needed" for, in his mind.

Claes's last line holds buckets full of meaning. She states that she can see the back of a man walking towards the sun, which isn't just a final pretty sounding line to end the manga on, it means her memories are returning. This last line is simply the reminder that, just like the other cyborgs, Cleas is gonna die soon. It's bittersweet though. She says the line fondly, as if she would be happy to be able to meet the man once more, but it also means that Claes is gonna die soon.

The manga uses the metaphor of "Fantasma" and "Ghost" a lot. I think the ending was a reflection on the concept of fantasma. Throughout the manga, we see most of the characters have lost loved ones who still influence what they do in present day. It seems that whenever a person dies, everyone still has their unfinished buisness with them, and things are left unresolved because of their death. When Enrica died, he idea and memory haunted Jean and Jose for the rest of their lives. The doctor's memory haunted Hilshire for the rest of his, and infuenced how he acted in his present day, and to Triella. But in the end, when we see everybody die, it gives a more grim look at this metaphor. The agency is but a fantasma now, and all the cyborgs who died are as well. In the epilogue, I get an overwhelming feeling, reminding me that Hanrietta, Triella, Jose, Hilshire, are not here any more. That may sound obvious, but the epilogue really makes me feel the weight of that. All the remaining members of the agency wandering around the boat, a fair amount of them just waiting for death, it feels like all the previous chapters never happened. Like all they were was a distant memory for all the characters, or a fairytale, or a fantasma. Usually I don't like it when a story wraps up with a summary of what happens to everyone in a monologue, but I think it really worked in this. In the mono, Claes just says what happened to them, and you just feel like, "They died, they just died, that's all". We just see everyone fades into a fantasma for all who still remain alive, but we know that in not long all of those people will be fantasma as well, and before you know it, there will be no one around to remember any of them, because that is how death works.

But in the end, it's more bittersweet that overwhelmingly sad alone. Cleas's last line, we see her say it fondly, almost as if she is happy about the memories returning. I think both Rico and Petra were happy in the end. Even though death was coming, they just peacefully lived out their final days with their handlers. Almost how you might see an elderly couple that has done everything they want to, and all the excitement in their life is over, and they just bitter sweetly spend their days together until they die.

I have a feeling that the last year with Rico was a very impactful one for Jean. With nothing more to do, and no more jobs for Rico, his "Tool", to fix, he has to start treating her as a normal girl. I feel that in this final year, Jean finally got to learn who Rico was as a person, and learned to see her as such, rather than as a tool. And after throwing her into the line of fire over and over again for years, I imagine that he is called to reevaluate the price of his revenge. Cause in the end he got it, but he lost his brother, and so many other lives. Now, seeing Rico as a person, and possibly enjoying the time he spends with her, he thinks about what it would be like if Rico had died in the fight, and he realizes he doesn't want to be without her.

I think he truly learned the value of a life in this final year. This is of course my speculation, but it's a feeling that the manga gave me. I could keep talking about Gunslinger Girl for hours, so I'm gonna leave it off here. If anyone wants t discuss though, please reply. I'd love to get into a discussion about the manga with another fan who loves the series as much as I do.
Apr 27, 2017 10:56 PM
Jul 2015
mapperky said:
Also, that last page in the epilogue really says so much if you think about it. In it's conclusion, we see the similarities between Cleas and Jean. There personalities couldn't be more different, but there the same in the way that they both ended up in the same place. There the only surviving members of their "Platoon" per say. In the end, after Jean's revenge has been taken, and all of the cyborgs have reached the inevitable end of their lifespan, they both just wander the boat alone, having lost all their friends to the war. Almost like ghosts upon the ship. Claes is to die soon, and Jean has no purpose anymore, so in all likelihood, he is to die soon as well from suicide (Forget about hopey changey final chapter). Jean's first line when he wakes up after the battle was "So I failed to die again". All Jean wanted was to fulfill his purpose and then die. Rico gave him a purpose, but when she died, I suspect he was only waiting for all the cyborgs to die off to kill himself, because it was something he was still "Needed" for, in his mind.

Claes's last line holds buckets full of meaning. She states that she can see the back of a man walking towards the sun, which isn't just a final pretty sounding line to end the manga on, it means her memories are returning. This last line is simply the reminder that, just like the other cyborgs, Cleas is gonna die soon. It's bittersweet though. She says the line fondly, as if she would be happy to be able to meet the man once more, but it also means that Claes is gonna die soon.

The manga uses the metaphor of "Fantasma" and "Ghost" a lot. I think the ending was a reflection on the concept of fantasma. Throughout the manga, we see most of the characters have lost loved ones who still influence what they do in present day. It seems that whenever a person dies, everyone still has their unfinished buisness with them, and things are left unresolved because of their death. When Enrica died, he idea and memory haunted Jean and Jose for the rest of their lives. The doctor's memory haunted Hilshire for the rest of his, and infuenced how he acted in his present day, and to Triella. But in the end, when we see everybody die, it gives a more grim look at this metaphor. The agency is but a fantasma now, and all the cyborgs who died are as well. In the epilogue, I get an overwhelming feeling, reminding me that Hanrietta, Triella, Jose, Hilshire, are not here any more. That may sound obvious, but the epilogue really makes me feel the weight of that. All the remaining members of the agency wandering around the boat, a fair amount of them just waiting for death, it feels like all the previous chapters never happened. Like all they were was a distant memory for all the characters, or a fairytale, or a fantasma. Usually I don't like it when a story wraps up with a summary of what happens to everyone in a monologue, but I think it really worked in this. In the mono, Claes just says what happened to them, and you just feel like, "They died, they just died, that's all". We just see everyone fades into a fantasma for all who still remain alive, but we know that in not long all of those people will be fantasma as well, and before you know it, there will be no one around to remember any of them, because that is how death works.

But in the end, it's more bittersweet that overwhelmingly sad alone. Cleas's last line, we see her say it fondly, almost as if she is happy about the memories returning. I think both Rico and Petra were happy in the end. Even though death was coming, they just peacefully lived out their final days with their handlers. Almost how you might see an elderly couple that has done everything they want to, and all the excitement in their life is over, and they just bitter sweetly spend their days together until they die.

I have a feeling that the last year with Rico was a very impactful one for Jean. With nothing more to do, and no more jobs for Rico, his "Tool", to fix, he has to start treating her as a normal girl. I feel that in this final year, Jean finally got to learn who Rico was as a person, and learned to see her as such, rather than as a tool. And after throwing her into the line of fire over and over again for years, I imagine that he is called to reevaluate the price of his revenge. Cause in the end he got it, but he lost his brother, and so many other lives. Now, seeing Rico as a person, and possibly enjoying the time he spends with her, he thinks about what it would be like if Rico had died in the fight, and he realizes he doesn't want to be without her.

I think he truly learned the value of a life in this final year. This is of course my speculation, but it's a feeling that the manga gave me. I could keep talking about Gunslinger Girl for hours, so I'm gonna leave it off here. If anyone wants t discuss though, please reply. I'd love to get into a discussion about the manga with another fan who loves the series as much as I do.

Can you send me a link to all this stuff you talk about? The scanlation I read made no mention of any boat, nor did it have a monlogoe by Claes or a shot of Claes and Jean together. I think it may br missing a few pages or chapters
This is man's ultimate fighting machine. The synthetic life form know as Evangelion, Unit 01. Built here in secret, it is mankind’s last hope.
Apr 28, 2017 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
Evangeliman said:
mapperky said:

Can you send me a link to all this stuff you talk about? The scanlation I read made no mention of any boat, nor did it have a monlogoe by Claes or a shot of Claes and Jean together. I think it may br missing a few pages or chapters

Sorry dude, I read the psychical copies so I don't know where to find it online. Just make sure you finished it all, cause there's one more volume after the omnibus's end. Volume 15. It's not included in any of the collections, only as an individual volume. It wraps up the series perfectly. Just don't read the very last chapter, stop after the Epilogue. It's a perfect conclusion, and the last chapter messes it up.

There are also 100 chapters in total, just so you can reference how far you read in the series.
Apr 29, 2017 6:05 PM
Jul 2015
mapperky said:
Evangeliman said:

Sorry dude, I read the psychical copies so I don't know where to find it online. Just make sure you finished it all, cause there's one more volume after the omnibus's end. Volume 15. It's not included in any of the collections, only as an individual volume. It wraps up the series perfectly. Just don't read the very last chapter, stop after the Epilogue. It's a perfect conclusion, and the last chapter messes it up.

There are also 100 chapters in total, just so you can reference how far you read in the series.

Is the final chapter the wishy washy future thing? I'm fairly certain I read 100 chapters.
This is man's ultimate fighting machine. The synthetic life form know as Evangelion, Unit 01. Built here in secret, it is mankind’s last hope.
Apr 29, 2017 10:01 PM
Jul 2018
Evangeliman said:
mapperky said:

Is the final chapter the wishy washy future thing? I'm fairly certain I read 100 chapters.

Yeah, that unfortunately is the final chapter. I think chapter 99 wraps it up perfectly, but 100 messes it up. Anyway, you might want to re-read some of the last chapters again just to make sure you got everything. If you read it on the internet, there's a chance you didn't get all the content, depending on the reliability of the site you read it on.
May 1, 2017 6:49 PM
Jul 2015
mapperky said:
Evangeliman said:

Yeah, that unfortunately is the final chapter. I think chapter 99 wraps it up perfectly, but 100 messes it up. Anyway, you might want to re-read some of the last chapters again just to make sure you got everything. If you read it on the internet, there's a chance you didn't get all the content, depending on the reliability of the site you read it on.

Do you know of any site with the official translations? I can only find the same scanlation and I've gone through the last 10 chapters about ~20 times trying to see if I missed something.
May 14, 2017 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
Evangeliman said:
mapperky said:

Do you know of any site with the official translations? I can only find the same scanlation and I've gone through the last 10 chapters about ~20 times trying to see if I missed something.

Sorry, I don't. You should search around on Ebay and Amazon for a physical copy of Vol. 15. I got mine used for just over 10 bucks including shipping. Here's the link for that. It's well worth the money.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunslinger-Girl-Finale-Yu-Aida/dp/1937867285/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494789996&sr=8-2&keywords=Gunslinger+girl+15
Sep 4, 2017 10:13 PM
Sep 2017
Valefor said:
mapperky said:
Evangeliman said:

Hello ...my name is Joli ! :) , Can you give me your opinion about the death of jose and herietta? , I would like to exchange ideas on that detail

- you think that it was right that José asked to henrietta die next door to him ...
.... I think it is something selfish on the part of Jose ...What do you think ?

jolixzSep 4, 2017 10:21 PM
Sep 5, 2017 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
jolixz said:
Valefor said:
mapperky said:

Hello ...my name is Joli ! :) , Can you give me your opinion about the death of jose and herietta? , I would like to exchange ideas on that detail

- you think that it was right that José asked to henrietta die next door to him ...

Their deaths were that of an ironic tragedy. In the start of the series, we see Jose and kind of an unopened book. He treats Henrietta almost as if he's coddling her, and he always acts as if he only really cares about her. For the first part of the series, we don't really know why he does any of this, hence the unopened book analogy. But as time goes on, learning of his sister in Fantasma, and going on and on with his past, it becomes more apparent why he acted the way that he did. He was projecting the memory of his little sister onto Henrietta, so that in a way, he could have all the moments he would have had with his sister if he life wasn't cut short. And because he holds himself responsible for her death, he also does it as a sort of atonement. He never really saw Henrietta as her own person, just another vessel for his sister's memory. But when Giacomo Dante shows up again, it changes something in him. When he started taking care of Henrietta, he took up the role as a brother he never really got to fill, but when Dante shows up again, his drive for revenge caused the part of himself that he despised and revered so much, the part of himself that neglected his family life, to reawaken. Jose was once again, a soldier. When he and Henrietta fight Dante's forces, we see him get less and less forgiving of Henrietta's mistakes, and he starts to care about killing Dante alone. Somewhere along this line, he realized his folly. Henrietta was not his sister, and he stopped treating her as such. But in no way, did he think of her as more of her own person. She went from being his sister, to being his weapon. That's why he agreed to the intense brainwashing that caused her to lose her personality, and in my opinion, that was the final unforgivable moment for Jose. Henrietta was a weapon alone, not only in mind but in reality. And during his final battle, when the phantasm of his sister reapers, asking him if he's "having fun", and he answers "Hell yes!", we see Jose has fully destroyed the other side of himself. I think the main theme with Jose's character arc is that of a split self, as he was constantly split between the side of himself that was a soldier, and was a family man. After his sisters death, he felt guilty, so he became the family man as a sort of atonement. But over time that faded, and he gave in more and more to what he really wanted to be. He realized his relationship with Henrietta was just playing house, to him, all a farce, so he gave it up. Even though, in my opinion, he was simply being dumb and selfish for not taking care of maybe the only person in the world that he actually loved.

This is why the death is ironic. Once Henrietta remembers everything, and shoots Jose by accident, Jose realizes what he's done, but doesn't really feel guilty for it. This was the one moment throughout all their time spent together, that Jose actually saw Henrietta as her own person. By acknowledging a desire that was hers alone, to die with Jose, he finally considered her who she was. And when he kills her, he does it once again, as a way of atonement. But this time, he doesn't really care. If he were not wounded, he would probably leave Henrietta where she was and keep fighting. But he does it more because he might as well, he owes it to her. And in the end, when Henrietta mistook Jose for an attacker, he got when he deserved. Because of the way that he treated her, he was treated as the man who caused Henrietta to become a cyborg in the first place, the man who murdered her family, even if it was accidental. And in the end, and it's sad to say, but Henrietta was happy. Because of her conditioned love for Jose, even after everything he did, she got her wish to die with him. For her, it was a good death.

Jose gave up on Henrietta because their relationship was all "Fake" to him. But in reality, so was Henrietta's love for Jose, as that was due to her conditioning. Henrietta and Jose are two sides of the same coin. One saying, "It's all just a farse anyway, so give it up", and the other saying "I don't care if it's real or not, because it feels real". Henrietta was okay with her love for Jose, and she made her peace with the possibility that it might not be "real". Because really, what is real in this sense? Henrietta loved him, so wasn't that real enough? That was her take on it all. Jose on the other hand, was the opposite, and in the end, he suffers for it, and pays the price for his neglect.
Sep 5, 2017 9:59 PM
Sep 2017
mapperky said:
jolixz said:

Their deaths were that of an ironic tragedy. In the start of the series, we see Jose and kind of an unopened book. He treats Henrietta almost as if he's coddling her, and he always acts as if he only really cares about her. For the first part of the series, we don't really know why he does any of this, hence the unopened book analogy. But as time goes on, learning of his sister in Fantasma, and going on and on with his past, it becomes more apparent why he acted the way that he did. He was projecting the memory of his little sister onto Henrietta, so that in a way, he could have all the moments he would have had with his sister if he life wasn't cut short. And because he holds himself responsible for her death, he also does it as a sort of atonement. He never really saw Henrietta as her own person, just another vessel for his sister's memory. But when Giacomo Dante shows up again, it changes something in him. When he started taking care of Henrietta, he took up the role as a brother he never really got to fill, but when Dante shows up again, his drive for revenge caused the part of himself that he despised and revered so much, the part of himself that neglected his family life, to reawaken. Jose was once again, a soldier. When he and Henrietta fight Dante's forces, we see him get less and less forgiving of Henrietta's mistakes, and he starts to care about killing Dante alone. Somewhere along this line, he realized his folly. Henrietta was not his sister, and he stopped treating her as such. But in no way, did he think of her as more of her own person. She went from being his sister, to being his weapon. That's why he agreed to the intense brainwashing that caused her to lose her personality, and in my opinion, that was the final unforgivable moment for Jose. Henrietta was a weapon alone, not only in mind but in reality. And during his final battle, when the phantasm of his sister reapers, asking him if he's "having fun", and he answers "Hell yes!", we see Jose has fully destroyed the other side of himself. I think the main theme with Jose's character arc is that of a split self, as he was constantly split between the side of himself that was a soldier, and was a family man. After his sisters death, he felt guilty, so he became the family man as a sort of atonement. But over time that faded, and he gave in more and more to what he really wanted to be. He realized his relationship with Henrietta was just playing house, to him, all a farce, so he gave it up. Even though, in my opinion, he was simply being dumb and selfish for not taking care of maybe the only person in the world that he actually loved.

This is why the death is ironic. Once Henrietta remembers everything, and shoots Jose by accident, Jose realizes what he's done, but doesn't really feel guilty for it. This was the one moment throughout all their time spent together, that Jose actually saw Henrietta as her own person. By acknowledging a desire that was hers alone, to die with Jose, he finally considered her who she was. And when he kills her, he does it once again, as a way of atonement. But this time, he doesn't really care. If he were not wounded, he would probably leave Henrietta where she was and keep fighting. But he does it more because he might as well, he owes it to her. And in the end, when Henrietta mistook Jose for an attacker, he got when he deserved. Because of the way that he treated her, he was treated as the man who caused Henrietta to become a cyborg in the first place, the man who murdered her family, even if it was accidental. And in the end, and it's sad to say, but Henrietta was happy. Because of her conditioned love for Jose, even after everything he did, she got her wish to die with him. For her, it was a good death.

Jose gave up on Henrietta because their relationship was all "Fake" to him. But in reality, so was Henrietta's love for Jose, as that was due to her conditioning. Henrietta and Jose are two sides of the same coin. One saying, "It's all just a farse anyway, so give it up", and the other saying "I don't care if it's real or not, because it feels real". Henrietta was okay with her love for Jose, and she made her peace with the possibility that it might not be "real". Because really, what is real in this sense? Henrietta loved him, so wasn't that real enough? That was her take on it all. Jose on the other hand, was the opposite, and in the end, he suffers for it, and pays the price for his neglect.

----
Hola , I am impressed by your analysis of that part of the story between Jose and Henrietta ....
... When reading your answer ... I understand with much more depth the story between Jose and Henrietta ...

(Excuse me for my English, my natural language is Spanish =( )
--
the conclusion is that henrietta died happy because of her desire to die with the person she loves (although it was false , conditioning ) ...it is very sad :(

--
About jose ... as you said, I understand that he was never really a good man. the end as you say the only good thing he did for her is to fulfill her desire... die together ... mmm

What do you think about it, about Jose asking to die together even if it was henrietta's wish, ¿ do you think that was the right thing to do?

I still think he was selfish. he had to let her live ..
(although in the manga ... she said that her back was hurt ... (unable to walk well) .. maybe she had few opportunities to survive ... mmm...)

Jose and Henrietta were my favorite couple

---
At the beginning of the story I thought that the two of them (Jose and Henrietta) were the main characters, the anime looks like that, but in the manga it shows another reality. It seems that triela was the main character in the manga because she devotes many pages even a relatively happy ending for her ..

---

Sep 5, 2017 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
jolixz said:
mapperky said:

----
Hola , I am impressed by your analysis of that part of the story between Jose and Henrietta ....
... When reading your answer ... I understand with much more depth the story between Jose and Henrietta ...

--
the conclusion is that henrietta died happy because of her desire to die with the person she loves (although it was false , conditioning ) ...it is very sad :(

--
About jose ... as you said, I understand that he was never really a good man. the end as you say the only good thing he did for her is to fulfill her desire... die together ... mmm

What do you think about it, about Jose asking to die together even if it was henrietta's wish, ¿ do you think that was the right thing to do?

(although in the manga ... she said that her back was hurt ... (unable to walk well) .. maybe she had few opportunities to survive ... mmm...)

---
At the beginning of the story I thought that the two of them (Jose and Henrietta) were the main characters, the anime looks like that, but in the manga it shows another reality. It seems that triela was the main character in the manga because she devotes many pages even a relatively happy ending for her ..

---

I feel that Jose did do the right thing by killing her. I don't think it made up for everything he did, but in the end it was the least he could do for her. Even if Henrietta could have lived, they were both in a situation where they were very likely going to die. In fact, Jose does eventually succumb to his injuries. Henrietta never would have wanted to live without Jose, and as she stated, she would have taken her own life rather than live without him. So in the end, I feel it gave her a sense of peace that Jose was the one to do it, so they could go together.

And yeah, I really like how the manga doesn't really have a main. I feel all the characters get their time in the spotlight, with very few being supporting cast alone. It's more like several interconnected stories about the cyborgs and the people around them, rather than one long one. For example, back in the Pinocchio arc, Franco, Franco, and Pinocchio were pretty much main characters. Same goes for Angelica, Triella, Henrietta, the Croce brothers, Rico and Claes. They were all the main characters, and all took center stage at one moment or another. Also thanks for talking dude. I really love this series so it's been great being able to discuss it.
Sep 6, 2017 8:56 PM
Sep 2017
mapperky said:
jolixz said:

----

--

--

---

---

I feel that Jose did do the right thing by killing her. I don't think it made up for everything he did, but in the end it was the least he could do for her. Even if Henrietta could have lived, they were both in a situation where they were very likely going to die. In fact, Jose does eventually succumb to his injuries. Henrietta never would have wanted to live without Jose, and as she stated, she would have taken her own life rather than live without him. So in the end, I feel it gave her a sense of peace that Jose was the one to do it, so they could go together.

And yeah, I really like how the manga doesn't really have a main. I feel all the characters get their time in the spotlight, with very few being supporting cast alone. It's more like several interconnected stories about the cyborgs and the people around them, rather than one long one. For example, back in the Pinocchio arc, Franco, Franco, and Pinocchio were pretty much main characters. Same goes for Angelica, Triella, Henrietta, the Croce brothers, Rico and Claes. They were all the main characters, and all took center stage at one moment or another. Also thanks for talking dude. I really love this series so it's been great being able to discuss it.

Oh waoo !! :D thank you very much for your help i could understand many things about gunslinder girl :)

Hey ! Hello, I found videos with official songs by gunslinger girl

these are original songs of the same seiyuus of the voices characters of gunslinder

Song of Henrietta ( seiyū (声優) Yuuka Nanri )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbTyF87HIes

Song of Claes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNV_3qJ_LQ

Song of Rico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vmx2ocF0nQ&pbjreload=10

Song of Triela
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mr4Faj_kP0

... I hope you like it, it's my way of thanking you.... n___n

jolixzSep 6, 2017 9:04 PM
Sep 6, 2017 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
jolixz said:
mapperky said:

Oh waoo !! :D thank you very much for your help i could understand many things about gunslinder girl :)

these are original songs of the same seiyuus of the voices characters of gunslinder

Song of Claes

Song of Rico

Song of Triela

Thanks dude! I'm really glad you liked my take on the series. Thanks for the videos too. I'm currently watching through Henrietta's and it's really cool. Been great discussing with you. Also you should update your profile with the animes and manga you've seen and read. If you even wanna deeply deconstruct a series ever again, let me know.
Sep 6, 2017 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
jolixz said:
mapperky said:

Song of Claes

Song of Rico

Song of Triela

OMG man! I was just watching the Henrietta video and realized something! Orion! The constellation that Jose showed to Henrietta at the begging. In the myth, Orion the hunter was accidentally shot and killed by his love Artemis. See any parallels? If I'm not mistaken, Orion is representative of Jose, as he was accidentally shot by Henrietta, who is representative or Artemis. The series foreshadowed their deaths from the very first chapter! Oh my gosh I love Gunslinger Girl.
Dec 21, 2017 2:11 AM

Oct 2014
this final arc was too much for me, i sobbed for the last twenty something chapters

the minute triela got shot i knew she wasn't gonna make it, her and hillshire had me CRUSHED rip to my otp

henrietta and jose were sad, not as sad as the hillshire-triela death but i still teared up

i'm so upset about petra, she and sandro were my second top ship - i was rooting for them :-(

jean has gotten married, i hope it was too enrica's friend: he deserves a happy ending

although i'm doubtful, i hope some medical advancement allowed claes and rico to live, those two girls went through way too much

the ending was beautiful with triela's daughter, and made me cry all the more. even though we don't know who the father is i like to imagine hillshire left sperm or something for the egg and he's the dad

11/10 started strong, ended stronger
Mar 11, 2018 9:47 AM

Jun 2016
Truely a great manga. A little to loose ending for my taste by the story had to go this way to really drive home the main points. Petra, Treila, Rico, Cleas, Ange, and Henrietta will all stay a long time with me.. The author stayed on the classy side of the line, and managed to write engeganing charcaters.

I wish for new anime adaption of the whole series, with Madhouse at the wheels. Well, one can only dream.
Mar 11, 2019 10:48 AM
Mar 2019
Who the fuck is the Dad trielas daughter ???? I wanna know who the daddy is and if I missed something tell me it’s killing me.
Jul 8, 2019 5:04 AM

Aug 2010
I understand where the author was going with this idea, but I'm certainly not a fan of it, there must have been a better way to end things.

All in all, a very depressing ride that had a lot of potential, some of what was fulfilled and some that wasn't.
Dec 3, 2020 7:44 AM

Nov 2019
Triela is best girl, best cyborg, with Hillshire best fratello and best character of the series

Beatrice underrated af should've gotten more screentime

Rico became likeable halfway through the series, she was my least favorite in the first half

Petrushka - great couple, honestly ship them but I call BS when they met, Sandro didn't picked up on her suicidal behavior when he's supposed to be amazing in cold reading

Angelica - the feels bro, I didn't expect to cry, damn you Marco

Claes - everyone dead muh garden

Henrietta never liked her idk, i get why ppl like her she indeed adorable, og P90 user not that pink bootleg but she boring added when I found out Jose is not genuine in his kindess towards her after I went for the manga coz season 2 of the anime went total moe crap, was surprised he's a fake, regardless they're boring and the least interesting fratello, and that double suicide was dumb af, Henrietta could've for at least another year making her latest conditioning that made her emotionless a waste, Jose needn't take Henrietta with him there's no enemy anymore

Would've gave it a 7/10 but that damn cop out, ass pull, seriously all it takes was the Pope's statement? Calling massive BS

6/10
May 14, 2021 5:25 PM
Feb 2021
This manga broke my heart. I wish it was more popular so I could talk about it more
Jan 16, 2022 6:04 AM

May 2020
The final chapter was unnecessary in my opinion. Felt a bit disjointed from chapter 99, which, while it ended abruptly, was kind of perfect.

Nevertheless, this was a decent manga. It was enjoyable and actually made me care about the girls, although I do feel like the manga gave Henrietta and especially Rico, far less screen time than they should’ve got. Kinda wish the author also toned down the “romantic” aspects of the relationships between the girls and their handlers (I’m looking at you Sandro), even if they are mainly one-sided on the part of the girls.
Feb 19, 2023 9:48 AM
Feb 2023
I just finished the manga and how can I say that I sobbed. Henrietta for me was dead as soon as he reformatted it... I find it really unfortunate that in the end Henrietta was only a weapon for him... and on the contrary we see Jean becoming human with Rico, I m I wasn't expecting that... But that she killed him surprised me, I didn't even think it was possible especially reformatted, but well done for him... after that she had no reason to live without him... then Hishler er Triela... my poor little heart... it surprised me we go from a hishler not hurt nothing to a dead hishler... I would have liked to see the last words between the two... after that, how to rub salt in the wound with the death of Rico a year later and of Petrushka.... and the last sentence of Claes on these visions which clearly say that she is also on the verge of death .... and the last ending doesn't really interest me... if at least we saw Jean in the audience... well, here it is. Far too sad end for me but she follows the manga and is extremely logical...

More topics from this board

» Can I watch Gunslinger Girls S1 + S2 and then read from volume 6?

Hormoz - Feb 21, 2022

3 by TomatoSempai »»
May 27, 2023 9:39 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Chapter 90 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Aug 28, 2013

2 by Nammy »»
Dec 25, 2022 6:22 PM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Chapter 20 Discussion

skreyola - May 12, 2013

1 by Nammy »»
Dec 6, 2022 8:01 AM

» Why are English paper back volumes so hard find and expensive?

WeebJeef - May 28, 2021

1 by Cmdr_Pirx »»
Feb 22, 2022 3:51 AM

Poll: » Gunslinger Girl Chapter 1 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - May 20, 2013

2 by Bheaze »»
Aug 12, 2021 1:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.