Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 7, 2013 11:16 AM

Apr 2009
The visuals in this one was quite remarkable, firstly the background details were gorgeously filled, the art style was crisp, and the animation was top notch. The setting quite struck home for me since I grew up in an island (I had this sudden urge now to pack my bags and go home for a bit XD) The three stooges...sorry, youkai were the only comic relief which IMHO they performed quite adequately. The story was somewhat average for me. 7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 12, 2013 2:58 AM

Jul 2009
I just finished this movie and it was really great! This is easily one of my favorite anime movies ever!
The animation was so great at times that it almost looked a bit like a 3D game with Cel-Shading look. I also found Momo's portrayal really good. She was a little bit socially awkward (like me xD).

Fronzel said:
I was also put off by the end of that bridge sequence. Once that action set-piece is over, it jumps right to the next morning. How did they even get the doctor back to the island? Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but the point of crossing the bridge was to get the doctor and come back so it strikes me as weird that the film treats getting across the bridge once as the end of it.

Yes, that's the only part I found strange too. :/
Mar 26, 2013 8:48 PM

Nov 2011
Momo-chan :3

For some reason, the movie reminded me a little of Summer Wars for setting. Poor Momo-chan though..so sad in the beginning scenes. I feel for her.

One thing I liked this movie is that atmosphere of the presentation that somehow is able to balance between a smooth melody to serious moments of drama. Now there's something you don't see everyday:

I also found this film to be realistic despite the fantasy theme added in.

>I don't like fishes
>They have scale and stuff

NO SHIT.

And finally she jumps into those waters at the end. Nice. I'm proud of her too. :)

8/10

Pretty pleasant series overall.
Apr 13, 2013 6:53 PM

Apr 2009
Eh, I don't seem to like it as much as others. The actions of the youkai just really made me angry sometimes. Only the little one grew on me because it was the most innocent. It never stole anything that held memories of Momo's dad, unlike the other two.

The animation was good though and I like how realistic the asthma was, from the sound to even Ikuko holding her breath after inhaling. Her parents should've given her a strong cup of coffee during the emergency, though.

Jun 29, 2013 11:57 AM

Nov 2010
Awesome and touching story
It starts slow, but it has many highlights and a finale as good as Summer Wars
I liked the successful rotoscoping (Ha! Aku no Hana :P ), monorail segment and the entrance of the spirits which resembled Leeloo and Stitch
All characters fit good as well, the expressions of Momo's dad were priceless
Aug 4, 2013 9:47 AM

Jul 2007
Nothing amazing, the MC was really annoying the whole way through to me. Definitely a kids' film. Great animation and still decent.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Aug 14, 2013 7:52 AM

Feb 2008
Slow start, amazing payoff with good animation.
Aug 28, 2013 1:48 PM

Oct 2012
It felt Ghibli-like, not bad, it was good watch. But Ghibli is Ghibli, you know.

Nonetheless, it was great story about loss and relation between mother and daughter, many moving scenes towards the end. I like how all characters acted in realistic way and even though youkai was there they was seen only by young children. After movie like that one tends to think about the things he takes for given in his life and that we should enjoy everything to the fullest, never give into petty quarrels.
Sep 2, 2013 12:20 PM

Jul 2012
Enjoyed it! The animation was stunning, the art was realistic, and the story was awesome. How the story progressed was smooth, too.

Liked it from start to end. Also, when Kouichi freaked out it was hilarious. XD

9/10, for me.
Sep 18, 2013 6:12 PM

Mar 2011
Beautiful looking movie. Cute, fun and nostalgic watch.
Sep 21, 2013 9:33 AM
Feb 2011
Found myself crying at more than one point ;-; Events were rather cliched though and the character of Momo's dad was underdeveloped and lacked insight. Nevertheless, it's a fun story turned heart-wrenching, and thankfully ended in a light spirit. Mame is just so cute scary.
Sep 25, 2013 2:54 PM

Sep 2008
Love it!
Every minut of it!
Just perfect!

...and Mame was so cute!
all guardian were cool,
but Mame was just... so damn cute! :)
Jan 8, 2014 11:17 AM

Apr 2010
8/10
it was a very good movie.
Feb 9, 2014 6:44 AM

Jan 2010
Simple yet heartwarming & beautiful. The story and the beauty of thel village blend wonderfully.
I always think it's awesome if something simple can affect someone greatly in a positive way, i think it's better or at least on par with something more complex with the same quality.
Apr 24, 2014 11:48 AM

Apr 2013
Such an amazing, beautiful and heartwarming movie. It's been a while since I've had this much fun watching an anime movie. Great drama and comedy. I also love pretty much all the characters, and I love how everything was tied together in the end.
I thought this movie would be about her getting used to her new life in the island, but even though that was part of it, it was much more than that. I also disagree with people saying the youkai didn't really care for her and only cared for themselves, if they did they wouldn't have delivered her message- they'd have no reason to.

Not sure why they skipped showing their journey back and how they got the doctor, maybe it is just to emphasize that what matters most is Momo's growth and the youkai's role in it. A fantastic movie either way :)
May 11, 2014 9:44 AM

Jun 2011
It was surprisingly good, really heartwarming, especially her dad's letter at the end.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 1, 2014 6:20 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

If you are looking for intense emotions, this film is not for you.
If you want first-class technical and graphic then will satisfy you in an exaggerated manner.
Plot simple I was expecting something more introspective and deep.
Narrated in great detail for the context in question. Funny and well characterized, not sweetened.
OST great, I fully enjoyed by those musics.
Overall a good movie that you may not succeed in achieving fame and the respect of other popular franchises, but that was not a waste of time to see it.
My final grade is 9/10!
Nov 28, 2014 2:13 PM

Aug 2014
I was expecting more in terms of plot, but it was interesting. The only thing that worked for me was the stunning animation, you can pause wherever you want it you'll have a beautiful wallpaper. The colors are all so sad and quiet, something that really felt strange, since history has these fantastic beings. It's like the animators know exactly the things they are doing, so that even putting these desaturated colors you can still feel the fantasy and magic.

The yokai are all so awesome too! especially the small hahaha he makes me laugh so much!
Dec 12, 2014 7:35 AM

Apr 2013
This was a Beautiful film.

Fronzel said:

I was also put off by the end of that bridge sequence. Once that action set-piece is over, it jumps right to the next morning. How did they even get the doctor back to the island? Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but the point of crossing the bridge was to get the doctor and come back so it strikes me as weird that the film treats getting across the bridge once as the end of it.

I agree, not seeing the rest to this sequence was a little disappointing.
Mar 12, 2015 10:35 AM

Sep 2011
I thought it was great, it was so whimsical and charming but able to really nail down the emotional aspects of the later half, it really managed to strike an emotional cord with me near the end though admittidly i do have 1 issue with the movie and thats how the little sister girl who could see the yokoi was never really used for anything and they never really address why she sees them

Also the dub was top notch

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 2, 2015 8:42 AM

Nov 2011
Jesus fuck

Family squabbles and youkai shit
Growing up, moving on from the past and shit

gee

what's new here

and how in the fuck did i not see those 3 retarded pieces of garbage behind momo on the cover????

fucking hell

2 hours, gone

youkai ruined the entire film
Nov 21, 2015 10:39 PM

Nov 2014
nice movie

Mar 19, 2016 4:26 AM

Dec 2014
okay the movie was fine and then become a bit more dramatic when we were approaching the end.. Overall a good movie
Mar 27, 2016 12:34 PM
Sep 2014
I can watch this for the art and character design, I really like that, but seriously it's a cheap ghibli ripoff storywise. So predictable and boring. Ookami no kodomo is so much better if you're looking for a ghibli fix.
May 18, 2016 4:43 PM

Mar 2016
Why are you all saying the animation was amazing?! It looked incredibly choppy, especially at the beginning!

One thing that REALLY irked me about this movie was the little girl, Umi. She could see the youkai. At the end when she brought them up again, they still never explained why Umi was able to see them! When the youkai fell as droplets, they didn't touch her, so why could she see them?

Overall, this really felt like a waste of two hours. The scenery, like when Momo was at the top of the mountain, was pretty but that's about all it had going for it.
Nov 27, 2016 11:27 PM
Mar 2013
The ending is pretty heart-warming. However, the story as a whole is very unoriginal, and the pacing is too slow for its own good.
Also, while the animation quality is very good, I think the colour palette they used, with those grey and brown colours everywhere, is simply unsuitable for a family movie. It did work well for Jin-Roh (Hiroyuki Okiura's previous work), but not for this one.
Overall, this wasn't a bad movie, and I don't regret watching it. However, I really hope Okiura will return to making seinen titles like Jin-Roh, as he is a very talented director, and those anime are what he does best.
Sep 16, 2017 4:53 AM

Jun 2016
That was a very beautiful film. It started slow, but omg it gets better, and it's oh so beautiful.

I honestly love the animation and it surely reminds me of Studio Ghibli's. I laughed a lot and I cried a lot, too, while watching this movie.

The Guardians were hilarious. Jesus. It hurts me seeing them go, but they fulfilled their roles to protect Momo and her mom. It's like they're the life of this movie along with Momo, of course.

My favorite part will be when the spirits and Momo and her mom's Guardians helped her and Kouichi-san to get through the storm, and get the doctor. That was a very beautiful sight when the rain water is surrounding them. And, of course, that part where the straw boat or something which carries the letter of Momo's dad. Ugh. I cried a lot. It was a very heartwarming scene.

Ugh. This movie is everything, and the soundtrack's amazing. I really enjoyed this movie A LOT!

9/10

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 1, 2017 2:20 PM

Jul 2013
That was very beautiful indeed.

I really loved the animation and the story was much deeper than I had thought.

It was very sad what with her father dying and the last thing she said was mean, poor girl.

Her mom was sad about it, and just hiding it so as not to upset her, and she nearly had the last thing she said to her could've been mean so that's why she was so desperate to save her, not surprising.

It was nice that she had those guardians to look out for her and her mother whilst her father was transitioning to go up there. The guardians were also very funny to watch and really quite nice when they weren't stealing things.

I really liked when they all banded together and helped her go and get the doctor for her mother who had that terrible asthma attack. I was crying, she looked like she was so bad.

This was a heartbreaking and heartwarming movie.

The straw boat scene at the end with the letter from her dad on was so beautiful, that also made me cry. That was such a touching moment. It was a shame the ink disappeared, also at the same time the light on the boat went out, I guess he finally made his way in to heaven and the light went out.

It was just so amazing and heartfelt. The story was so amazing and well written and presented. I really loved it <3
Feb 3, 2018 10:52 AM

Apr 2012
The boring-ass Yokai started sending me to sleep. Did not fight the urge. No regrets.
Mar 11, 2018 2:31 PM

Oct 2015
I loved every second of this movie and its no surprise it won all those awards. It has the quality to be a full series, but I'm surprise why its rating is below 8 because I think it was better than those Ghibi movies that are above 8. It was touching and it had emotional plot that was very great. Although those three youkai did help Momo, but they did for themselves except the short who was sincere and was the good amongst the three.

I am also glad Momo and her mom found closure in that letter in the end, although it was straight forward I thought it was heartwarming. I wish she was able to form a strong bond with those youkai and changed their mischievous ways a bit, and not say they wish they tasted her liver or ate Youchi as a goodbye.

I will recommended this movie especially since movies I watched come short to this one. My award is

9/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 11, 2019 7:42 AM

Sep 2017
good movie but the yokai appearance made everything worse.
i think it would have been a lot better without them. that's just me tho.
May 21, 2020 4:23 PM

Jun 2014
I hardly watch family movies, but this one was quite amusing.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Aug 23, 2020 12:46 PM

Jun 2017
I can't comprehend why some people were giving their commendation about this anime movie. Truth be told, it really bored me and my two hours time were wasted. I could have played video games instead or read a book! Evidently, the story wasn't even thought well enough. For goodness sake! Even a child can come up a story like that. No thrill, no entertainment, it's just flat-out boring!
KoniginElleAug 24, 2020 12:50 AM

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 17, 2021 5:15 PM

Feb 2020
it was a great movie with nice concept, kind of reminds me of ghibli totoro a lot especially the typhoon covering looks like inspired from nekobasu.

though animation was off at some places especially the facial expression were just not expressive enough at some instances.

overall i enjoyed it
AdampkAug 17, 2021 5:19 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Sep 5, 2021 3:46 AM
Jul 2020
nice heartwarming movie, nothing else to say
Nov 14, 2021 5:56 PM

Mar 2016
Way too long for a movie about about a bunch of weird old men hanging around a young girl. And even with all that run-time it still felt like they didn't know how to balance the different aspects of the story. The mother-daughter conflict and its conclusion around the letter felt rushed and poorly focused. An underwhelming family film.
syncrogazerNov 14, 2021 6:08 PM
Jan 1, 2022 4:19 PM

Feb 2012
I decided to watch this movie after years of planning to do so. After watching it, I cant believe that it have taken me this long.
It was great. A very polished work, where every detail seems delicately crafted. Loved the atmosphere, it was at times visually stunning. The story was simple but compelling (which is a plus) and the dynamic between the characters was always fun.
A modern masterpiece in animation. I hope I can see more works from the same creator.
Jan 5, 2022 6:14 AM
Jan 2020
It's pretty good, but there's just something I found lacking in some aspect..

But still pretty good.
Dec 14, 2022 4:32 AM

Feb 2020
Very good and touching movie. Definitely better than I expected.

Those youkai were so hilarious.
Apr 13, 2023 1:15 AM
Apr 2022
Really good. unique story!
Jun 14, 2023 11:58 PM

Nov 2021
I'm so mad I put off watching this movie for YEARS. This was honestly such a delightful movie! I loved the goblins so much, especially the one with the gold grills he was such a goofball. I will say I was kinda disappointed they never were discovered by Momo's mother since she'll just think Momo really did steal all those vegetables for the rest of her life :( ngl I cried a lil bit when she read that final letter to her mom 😭

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

nextday - Dec 1, 2011

6 by sonu711 »»
Dec 24, 2021 9:53 PM

» Name of the song in the trailer?

thehashslasher - Mar 25, 2016

0 by thehashslasher »»
Mar 25, 2016 6:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.