Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2012 10:49 AM
Mar 2012
Recently been seeing bunch of manga with the genre of webtoons that i have been reading. Ex. are Soul Cartel, Girls of the Wild's and Transfer Student Stormbringer. Could this be a new genre or would you categorize this as artwork and therefore not important to mention. I believe its important to mention as this is completely different from the normal hand drawn manga. It'll help people who want something like a webtoon or people who want to aviod the style be able to choose at their reads. Again idk if anyone has brought up this problem before but i thought i might just to bring it to your attention as it's something you might want to add into your list. If anyone else feels this way please show your support.
-RebelsXedits-
Jul 29, 2012 10:55 AM

Mar 2009
I support this.
Please add Webtoons to the database.
It's so annoying to not be able to keep track of them.
Just because they're not published they shouldn't be declined from adding.
Jul 30, 2012 1:12 AM

Mar 2009
Adding webtoons would be a good idea.
Jul 30, 2012 4:35 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
"Because I want to keep track of webtoons" is not a good reason to add them to the database. I'm sure doujin readers and pixiv comic readers and OEL readers and OFL readers and graphic novel readers all want to keep track of what they're reading, too. Even people who love Avatar want to add it to their lists.

Style is not a reason either. I have read some published webtoons myself (Pink Lady, for example) and I know the art is quite a bit different. But the OEL style is quite a bit different, too, yet that does not allow them into the database. Good, or different, art is not a reason for admittance.

Guidelines for the Manga DB were written so that only published works and published artists (with their doujin) were allowed into the database. This is for good reason; otherwise anyone could draw a little stick-art comic and call it manga.

The reasons to discount webtoons from the database are more than reasons to include them. If you can provide a good reason for them to be included in the guidelines, we'll consider it. But "because I want them" is not enough.

Edit: more clarity and link to the guidelines.
KinetaJul 30, 2012 8:06 AM
Jul 30, 2012 12:14 PM
Mar 2012
Alright well thanks for telling me so. As i haven't thought deeply on this subject and i really only mentioned b/c i saw transfer student stormbringer in your database and it's been showing up as a webtoon on all the manga sites so i felt it was unfair to just add one of them and not include them all. Is this one diffrent from the others and if soo could you clarify what that is so i wont make this mistake again. I hope my incompetence doesn't frustrate you. Also it's not only because i want to keep track of webtoons b/c i've only found a few i just thought since they are on the manga websites and i think classified as that type of stuff that you would put some thought into adding it. Sorry if manga and webtoons are completely different things but since i've only seen a couple of them idk if they were there own category. If this is so then just tell me so and i'll leave it at that.
-RebelsXedits-
Jul 31, 2012 5:33 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Rebels - If it is on our site it means one thing it has been physically published (by a publishing house, not self published) so there is an actual book out there.
Sep 4, 2012 2:29 PM

Jan 2009
I would like to open up the debate about adding Webtoon's again. They have been growing by leaps and bounds in a short period of time as has their popularity. I do not think it is wise to brush them off anymore as their are more and more quality Webtoons being created that are becoming just as or more popular then some of the top Manga series. Noblesse and Girls of the Wild's are currently the most popular but their are also many others such as Tower of God, Magician and Crepuscule that are quickly rising in popularity. I think that adding this medium to your site could only be a good thing as Webtoon's are only going to become more popular as time goes on.
Sep 4, 2012 2:33 PM

Dec 2009
yeah, I've noticed that there are some Korean mangas (Manwha)
but not all of them are there, especially for allowing Girls of the Wild's, great manwha, pretty popular right now but not even in the database
Sep 4, 2012 2:56 PM

Jan 2009
waalex11 said:
but not all of them are there, especially for allowing Girls of the Wild's, great manwha, pretty popular right now but not even in the database

This is where the whole problem lies. Girls of the Wild's is not a Manwha but actually a Korean Webtoon because of its long page/color format and that it is self published. It would not really be fair to compare Webtoons to Dōjinshi as their quality and popularity has far surpassed what is normally known to be Dōjinshi. As they are growing more popular I think it would be great to allow them to be added to MAL as Webtoons or even being able to be listed under Manwha.
Sep 4, 2012 11:36 PM

Aug 2010
GodsDragon said:
waalex11 said:

This is where the whole problem lies. Girls of the Wild's is not a Manwha but actually a Korean Webtoon because of its long page/color format and that it is self published. It would not really be fair to compare Webtoons to Dōjinshi as their quality and popularity has far surpassed what is normally known to be Dōjinshi. As they are growing more popular I think it would be great to allow them to be added to MAL as Webtoons or even being able to be listed under Manwha.
The thing is a webtoon is a webtoon not because it has its long colored pages, but because it's published as doujinshi on the internet (mostly on comic naver), so it's really fair to compare webtoons to doujinshi because that's what they are. A doujinshi is a doujinshi not because it's not popular, but because it's made by independent artists and not offered to a publishing company. But indeed, webtoons could be added, and it seems like there have been talks on adding them to the db.
Sep 15, 2012 6:17 AM

May 2011
I agree. It would be great to add Webtoon
Sep 15, 2012 9:25 PM
Oct 2010
Many of the webtoons in Korea are being posted on Naver and as far as I can see it is the equivalent to Alpha Shonen Jump. In the future I can imagine that the introduction of online magazines may eventually replace the printed magazines like shonen jump, and if thats the case the guidelines on MAL will become outdated. Naver is simply an online publisher that handles works that would otherwise be in printed form. Space China Dress was a manwha before the author decided to switch to a webcomic format on Naver. Many works like Tower of God and Girls of the Wilds I can imagine would have done the same thing. The format of web comics doesnt differ much entirely from manga either as they are divided into chapters just as manga are and probably limited to the amount of work the author is capable of putting out in a week and space limitations.
Mar 5, 2014 6:43 AM
Jan 2011
I would love to be able to keep track of things like Soul Cartel, City of Dead Sorcerer and The Gamer, so yeah i think they should be added.
[url=http://www.free-iqtest.net" title="IQ Test][/url]IQ Test
Mar 5, 2014 6:49 AM

Mar 2012
Razor9760 said:
I would love to be able to keep track of things like Soul Cartel, City of Dead Sorcerer and The Gamer, so yeah i think they should be added.
Post #4 in this thread
Kineta said:
"Because I want to keep track of webtoons" is not a good reason to add them to the database.
Mar 7, 2014 12:13 AM

Oct 2013
Yes, I think they should be added too. Why not? Is there any problem with the software of our forum?
Mar 7, 2014 12:58 PM

Oct 2009
Behemoth11 said:
Why not? Is there any problem with the software of our forum?

No, there is a problem with the guidelines of our forum. Can't you tell apart technical and ideological kind of problems?
Mar 8, 2014 12:38 AM

Oct 2013
Serhiyko said:
Can't you tell apart technical and ideological kind of problems?

Can't you help me out if I'm not able to differentiate proportionable? :-)

These guidelines where made by the administration, right? Sorry, but isn't it possible to just change the current regularities a bit and add something that isn't much extrinsic?
Webtoons are usually a work of Korean authors, the only difference between Manhwa is, that they aren't formal publicized by a legitimate publisher. However, all in all the gap among webtoons, manga and manhwa is marginal afterall.
Means: webtoons would fit in the current structures(in my opinion), but that doesn't apply to series like Avatar or to the [majority] of Graphic Novels.

If I'm wrong, could you clear things up for me, please?

Kineta said:

The reasons to discount webtoons from the database are more than reasons to include them. If you can provide a good reason for them to be included in the guidelines, we'll consider it. But "because I want them" is not enough.

Because webtoons are nowadays a famous component of our internet culture.
I think, there are enough parallels to the medium manga, to consider our request. I'm not in the position to give any instruction, but if more and more people would agree with our suggestion, would you give it another thought?
In the end the members of a forum matters the most, right?
Jet_Nice_GuyMar 8, 2014 3:24 AM
Mar 11, 2014 5:11 PM

Jul 2009
Behemoth, maybe because it would be a pain in the arse to keep track of it all? Also I bet japan has similar sites for amateur mangakas like naver thus they would need to allow them too. And that would be so much work that it's not worth the trouble for a handful of people who would bother reading it.
Just join my webtoons club for info and a list of titles.
Mar 12, 2014 7:22 AM

Mar 2013
Yeah, yeah, don't mess with the fans that want to add Fisheye Placebo to their lists!

In all honesty, I don't see an issue as far as we look at what the new content would hold. I'm more worried about the Manga DB Moderating team and how they could (not) handle this impact as well.

Let's face it, the way it currently is, they are really slow. Furthermore, they have just lost another member. There are a lot of webtoons out there, and seeing that the MAL community is big, I am in strong belief that many requests for adding would be made if this would take action. What then? Adding them slowly, with the current, Manga and Manwha entries taking priority in moderation? Yeah, we wouldn't get anywhere with the current pace, regardless if a certain someone says that they are "doing a wonderful job", or not.

But once again, I don't see any harm content-wise if the webtoons would actually be allowed and would be actively added as well as updated in the Manga Database itself. The issue I see is focused on the team moderating these entries, everything else seems fine, IMHO.
Apr 11, 2014 2:50 AM
Apr 2014
If you quickly want to get an overview of what you are reading and how far you are, I would higly recommend the google chrome extension call "all mangas reader" it keeps track on all the manga's you read online at least, an also these webtoons (Soul Cartel etc.).. and makes manga easier to read online.

Must admit i didn't read the whole tread, but wanted to let you know that there is this fantastic extension for chrome that i am using myself.
Sep 24, 2014 10:40 AM

May 2013
pls add Soul Cartel and Black Haze
Sep 24, 2014 12:26 PM
Aug 29, 2015 2:24 AM

Oct 2014
I'am very confused by your decision to not include corean webtoon in your database.
i think that they are very inspired of the manga culture and are roughtly the same with the exeption of being colored.
care to explain why such an embargo ?
Aug 29, 2015 3:05 AM

Oct 2009
It's not Korean webtoon, it's any unpublished work, including Japanese manga. Korean manhwa is allowed as long as it was published. It has nothing to do with the country, just whether it is in print or not
SerhiykoAug 29, 2015 3:08 AM
Aug 29, 2015 3:24 AM

Oct 2014
ok i understand
but in this case why not allowing these webtoon that arn't edited ?
because with this rule you exclud almost all corean webtoon.
i could mention like 20-30 that have 100-300 chapter and can't be added to the database.
Aug 29, 2015 6:10 AM

Oct 2009
lecielestviolet said:
ok i understand
but in this case why not allowing these webtoon that arn't edited ?
because with this rule you exclud almost all corean webtoon.
i could mention like 20-30 that have 100-300 chapter and can't be added to the database.

Kineta said:
This is for good reason; otherwise anyone could draw a little stick-art comic and call it manga.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=470007#msg16179331
Aug 29, 2015 11:44 AM

Oct 2014
going to this post thanks couldn't find it
Aug 29, 2015 12:05 PM

Oct 2014
Kineta said:
If you can provide a good reason for them to be included in the guidelines, we'll consider it. But "because I want them" is not enough.

reason i think you should include them:
-you can't judge the content even if it's "stick-art" by the time someone think it's worth mentioning or adding to their list it has it place in your database.
-some are allready in your database "douluo dalu" for exemple
-they are on a dayly basic presented to be included in the database
-i don't think they are many people in the community that would be against their integration
-in this categorie there are like 200-300 serie
-at a time where everything become numerised does it really matter if there no paper base ??? you can't say that you read exclusivly books.
Aug 29, 2015 12:06 PM

Mar 2013
Add them please.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Sep 29, 2015 11:49 AM

Jan 2013
Threads Merged
Oct 13, 2015 3:04 PM
Jul 2014
Hi ! (yeay first post)

So I recently came accross webtoons (generally only 1 chapter) and then I read something called Dice.

I understand the fact that since it's not published on paper, it may be difficult to actually restrain what will be added and as said above :

Kineta said:
This is for good reason; otherwise anyone could draw a little stick-art comic and call it manga.

So maybe a kind of restriction on "how many chapters had been published" might be a good idea ? (I say that because, Dice has actually 70 and becomes something that a lot of people likes ~9.40/10 as well as Tower of God that has currently 171 chapters and ~9.44/10 again on Webtoons.com ).

A good example would be Noblesse that started as a webtoon on Naver and became published.

And in my opinion, I think that there is some kind of regulation ? (let's say that) on this website, that doesn't allow everyone to post something such as a "little stick-art comic" but more something like a real experience, a story, something to share.

(And as an IT student, I'm genuinely interested on what you use for DB and client side :D)

Links :
- Tower of God : http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/list?title_no=95
- Dice : http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/dice/list?title_no=64&page=1
- Noblesse on MAL : http://myanimelist.net/manga/29983/Noblesse
Oct 13, 2015 5:09 PM

Mar 2010
Yes good idea but I guess its up to the DB staff and their regulations/restrictions.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 15, 2015 2:55 PM
Oct 2009
I agree with my friends. Please allow webtoons to be able to add to list. Soul Cartel is great, much better than some mangas.
Nov 16, 2015 11:30 PM

Oct 2008
I totally support this. You know why? it seems that there might be an Animated version of Noblesse! Search on youtube "Noblesse Official OVA PV” https://youtu.be/2KAVXQS73O0
matias067Nov 16, 2015 11:36 PM

Nov 17, 2015 2:09 AM

Apr 2011
matias067 said:
I totally support this. You know why? it seems that there might be an Animated version of Noblesse! Search on youtube "Noblesse Official OVA PV” https://youtu.be/2KAVXQS73O0

Getting an animated adaption doesn't seem to be a valid reason for a change in guidelines. Besides, Noblesse already has an entry on MAL, since it does, in fact, meed MAL guidelines.
Dec 1, 2015 6:50 AM
Jun 2009
Bui said:
Many of the webtoons in Korea are being posted on Naver and as far as I can see it is the equivalent to Alpha Shonen Jump. In the future I can imagine that the introduction of online magazines may eventually replace the printed magazines like shonen jump, and if thats the case the guidelines on MAL will become outdated. Naver is simply an online publisher that handles works that would otherwise be in printed form. Space China Dress was a manwha before the author decided to switch to a webcomic format on Naver. Many works like Tower of God and Girls of the Wilds I can imagine would have done the same thing. The format of web comics doesnt differ much entirely from manga either as they are divided into chapters just as manga are and probably limited to the amount of work the author is capable of putting out in a week and space limitations.

I totally agree with that. We are in 21st century, the psychical publication it's not that important now, it's the Internet age. The times are changing and the webtoons are getting more and more popular.
Dec 2, 2015 9:07 AM

Mar 2015
So what's the general consensus regarding this?
Dec 2, 2015 9:33 AM

Apr 2014
Nah, webtoons are from South Korea.
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 26, 2015 1:42 AM

Jun 2012
I've recently been getting into webtoons (I basically only read webtoons now), and noticed that webtoons are not a part of the Database. I know some webtoons have been added since they have been published 'formally' but there are many, and a growing amount of, legitimate webtoons that should be considered.
I'm sure if there are just some extra guidelines added it can prevent " little stick-art comics" from being added to the database...
Plus with all the new changes/additions to this site, I bet this can be one that makes many of us webtoon readers a little more happy for the holidays.

My reason for not understanding why webtoons cannot be added may also be due to my lack of understanding of the guidelines; if that is the case could someone explain it to me like a kindergarten teacher would? lol
Dec 26, 2015 1:47 AM

Mar 2008
They're never going to do this. I 100% guarantee it. Why? Because many people would think that any webtoon can be added to the database but the database does not allow webtoons except ones that are published somehow.
Dec 26, 2015 1:49 AM

Jun 2012
traed said:
They're never going to do this. I 100% guarantee it.

boo ;(
Don't let my dreams fade.
Dec 26, 2015 1:50 AM

Mar 2008
I edited my post and explained more why.
Sep 15, 2016 7:44 PM

Jan 2016
i'll be soo happy if MAL did it .. i'm a big fan of webtoons and even my bro was planing to read them but he decide to not read them just cuz he cant adds them to MAL .. :( plz MAL add alot of weebtoons !!
Sep 15, 2016 11:06 PM

Aug 2015
IBLACKNAYAI said:
i'll be soo happy if MAL did it .. i'm a big fan of webtoons and even my bro was planing to read them but he decide to not read them just cuz he cant adds them to MAL .. :( plz MAL add alot of weebtoons !!

So much cringe did you even read mod post in this thread?
Sep 16, 2016 12:23 AM

Jan 2016
ultravigo said:
IBLACKNAYAI said:

So much cringe did you even read mod post in this thread?

i really didn't notice/cared to read everything here cuz i was tired and sleepy, I just stated what's on my mind so I don't see why you're cringed out..?
NAYAI506Sep 16, 2016 6:57 AM
Sep 18, 2016 6:02 AM
Sep 2016
If the argument is because they are un-published they shouldn't be on the site, as a Korean I can ensure you that plenty of webtoons are published as books.
I bought the whole series of Ho!(3 books) a couple weeks ago and when I went to buy them most of the famous webtoons were in publication.
Even if the unpublished ones can't be added what about the ones that have??
Sep 18, 2016 6:20 AM
Sep 2016
Rayzer said:
Nah, webtoons are from South Korea.

Actually webtoons have a lot of fans here in Korea with it being weird for someone between the ages of 10~30 not having seen at least one, with most people seeing multiple webtoons. And a lot of adults above that age read them as well. Take Misaeng(미생) for example, it has a fanbase that has lots of older people.
We have favorite webtoons by day and its almost a daily chore for some people to watch more than 5 webtoons; every day.
Overall the webtoon culture in Korea is stronger than you seem to think, just to make sure I checked out a webtoon on Naver that I had never seen before and it had over 50,000 views, quite large if you consider our population isn't that large. If you consider that every view is an unique one, that makes it 1 person for every thousand, and thats just talking about one that's not that popular yet!
Sep 18, 2016 11:40 AM
Sep 2015
I don't see why it's a big deal if they're published or not. So what if someone makes a crappy stick figure comic and calls it manga? If it's no good, people will just rate it low. Or you can vet content by quality or duration or popularity. There are alot of webtoons that are just as good or even better than published manga and manhwa, and plenty that have been running for years. Shouldn't that matter more than whether or not it's been printed on paper? Seems like such an abitrary rule when you consider how popular they are.
Sep 18, 2016 2:46 PM

Jan 2008
I feel like this topic got way off topic considering the fact that webtoons ARE in the database and have been since the OP made his post. Probably because of all the topic merging just because the topics are webtoon related posts.

The title of the topic and OP are asking to allow webtoon as a 'type' (such as oneshots, doujins, manga, manhwa, etc.) not asking to allow webtoons in general, as they are already in the database. Whether some are in or not should honestly be a different topic.

And as for my opinion on it, I wouldn't mind something to categorize it easier with, something like say a new spot for it under the Information tab. You can even move Oneshot and Doujinshi too it too and just leave 'Type' as a way to identify whether it's Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc.

It'd be nice too actually be able to tell if the doujinshi, oneshot, etc is a manga, manwha or whatever without actually having to google another site to look it up else where. I mean there are Japanese webtoons now, not just Korean ones, so if the type got changed to webtoon, there'd now be confusion on whether it's a Japanese or a Korean one, so a new identification would help.
PaulSep 18, 2016 3:04 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.