Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 9, 2012 3:26 PM

Apr 2012
Personally, I felt the episode was alright. I don't really know much about the series, aside from the article Random Curiosity did on it. It was alright, it didn't blow me away. Three episode rule still applies.
Jul 9, 2012 3:28 PM

Aug 2011
A great deal more blood-filled than I expected. The first episode didn't leave the greatest impressions on me but after seeing this one, the show has caught my attention now.

Death scenes were intense, I find the alien designs really freaky with their chomping big mouths.
Jul 9, 2012 4:39 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
This episode really showed the intensity and brutality of this show, and prepared us for whats coming. I'm not really into the mecha or dramatic genres, but this one I'll continue to watch. I think it might be better than I expected.
Jul 9, 2012 5:17 PM

Apr 2011
A lot of female pilots for some odd reason. Where are all the guys? Or maybe it's just because it is mostly focusing on the women as I did see a few male pilots.

Well what ever. Great story/plot. I like the development of the characters. And it looks like 3 years did a lot of work on Yui Takamura. With the hair and all. She's got a nice attitude now. More of a "Come at me Beta!" I'll be sure to watch the following episodes.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Jul 9, 2012 5:36 PM
Jan 2011
God, where do I start?

Okay, I took this anime as a nice, well-made mecha series with lots of action. But I never suspected shit would get this real. I haven't seen this much blood in an anime, not even in 'Higurashi' series.

The scene where Yui shot her friend's head screaming, scene at the hospital... I was shocked. I didn't know what to think.

These BETA monsters creeped me out... I won't be sleeping for the next week. Only 'Gyo' is sicker.

This show has a great potential, so far I love everything. I just hope producers won't screw it.
Jul 9, 2012 5:37 PM

Feb 2012
Wow that was a great ep.

Shit hit the fan and they all died. Did not expect that. And damn, dat gore!

Poor yui had to go through all that.

I just wish they didn't use CG for the mechs.
Jul 9, 2012 6:11 PM

May 2008
BULLDOG266 said:
A lot of female pilots for some odd reason. Where are all the guys? Or maybe it's just because it is mostly focusing on the women as I did see a few male pilots.

Well what ever. Great story/plot. I like the development of the characters. And it looks like 3 years did a lot of work on Yui Takamura. With the hair and all. She's got a nice attitude now. More of a "Come at me Beta!" I'll be sure to watch the following episodes.

Remember that the war started years ago. All the male pilots have already been drafted and most of them have already been killed which left only the women to fight. I know that wasnt stated in this series but it is in the VN's.

edit: Also I think if they can keep doing this well with the tiny budget they got then this series has to be considered a success
ShizuruAnonJul 9, 2012 6:31 PM
kyubey is watching you (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ )
Jul 9, 2012 8:09 PM

Jan 2011
wakka9ca said:
Gorefest and eye candy.

Better than Blood C? Maybe....

i couldn't stop thinking about that while watching this but then again seeing everyone get eaten and tore to parts in blood C was great because they were all dicks to Saya lol,this however you kinda already knew all them would die from the moment you first saw them.

the only thing that got me me slightly was the Mercy kill and the fact that she couldn't do it.
Jul 9, 2012 9:51 PM

Apr 2010
BULLDOG266 said:

These reactions are why I said they did a piss poor job explaining the world to people who haven't read the VN.

Humanity has been fighting a losing battle for over 30years. There's only 1Billion people left alive. They have no choice but to start drafting women. As said many times in the anime, the average survival time for new pilots is only 8min. 8min.
Also why they seem too advanced, using mecha for 10 years ago. Ever since the BETA arrive all of humanity has been pumping every last resource they have into war development. There is no entertainment in this world. In the VN there's a scene where the characters are playing with bean bags & cat's cradle to kill time, because that's all they have in that world.
Jul 9, 2012 10:16 PM

Mar 2012
That was a massive improvement over the first episode. The gore was a nice touch, and the crying scene at the end felt pretty genuine. Good stuff, hope it keeps on like this.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 10, 2012 1:47 AM

Jul 2009
I kind of wish they air the first 2 episodes back to back so that we won't see many misguided criticisms found last week.
Jul 10, 2012 3:37 AM
Jun 2009
People are going to be disappointed when they find out that the BETA aren't going to show up again.
Jul 10, 2012 4:57 AM

Apr 2010
That was pretty heavy to watch poor Yui seeing all her friends get killed.
The world they live in must be hell getting killed in such a cruel way just ending up ass food and no good way to defend yourself.
And the way Yui's last friend Yamashiro died men that was horrific and i liked her.
But there might be some new characters that might replace Yamashiro's cool personality.
AversaJul 10, 2012 5:06 AM
Jul 10, 2012 7:34 AM

Feb 2008
They are running out of people to kill really fast...
Jul 10, 2012 7:51 AM

Jul 2009
Considering that only one from the main cast appeared so far, they have PLENTY of characters to kill in the future.
Jul 10, 2012 8:34 AM
Apr 2012
According to the director on japanese twitter, the eishi for the Takemikazuchi was appearantly Yuuhi.
Jul 10, 2012 9:01 AM

Jul 2011
damn man this two first episodes is ga rei zero and S.T.R.A.I.N all over again.
Too much gore and blood for me.
I could not care less for this male protagonist that should appear sometime in the next episodes, I rather him gotten eaten and the last girl who died to survive. :/

still shaken, will watch something happy-go-lucky to get over it now...so till next episode!
:/
same feeling I got from...
Spoiler! (don't click if you haven't watched "Another".)
Jul 10, 2012 9:05 AM

Nov 2011
Windex said:
People are going to be disappointed when they find out that the BETA aren't going to show up again.

Whaaaat?! They're the reason this episode was decent.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jul 10, 2012 2:16 PM
Mar 2010
MLA reference? Don't know if someone has already pointed it out.

Anyway it was cool, I liked the last death scene and the Takemikazuchi is awesome.
Jul 10, 2012 2:20 PM

Feb 2009
Windex said:

I had heard this prior to the show being aired. Can anyone confirm that this is actually true? If so, my hopes for this series have decreased. Watching what would essentially end up being Muv-Luv: Unlimited is not that appealing. The death and despair is what made Muv-Luv: Alternative better than the previous two.
Jul 10, 2012 3:34 PM

Jul 2010
Damn this was crazy! Even with all the censors it was pretty damn gruesome. Every member of her squadron died and the last two got eaten in front of her eyes.

So no we're three years later. I wonder where this will be going now. No more BETA? Something else?

Jul 10, 2012 3:44 PM
Apr 2012
Arcane587 said:
Windex said:

I had heard this prior to the show being aired. Can anyone confirm that this is actually true? If so, my hopes for this series have decreased. Watching what would essentially end up being Muv-Luv: Unlimited is not that appealing. The death and despair is what made Muv-Luv: Alternative better than the previous two.

Hopefully it won't be like Unlimited. It seems it's going to be about the F-22 Raptor developement/testing phase (in that way I guess it's somewhat similar to the new OS in MLA), and it'll be on russian soil with two russians, a half american half japanese and a japanese as the main characters... I'm hoping for political intrigues ala coup d'etat arc. Hopefully I don't get disappointed... but yeah...

The ending of the LN is appearantly

Araragi93 said:

Anyway it was cool, I liked the last death scene and the Takemikazuchi is awesome.

Call me stupid if you want, but what's the reference here? Only clear reference I can think of that I wish was in ep2 was
Jul 10, 2012 4:30 PM
Mar 2010
maxie said:
Arcane587 said:
Windex said:

Hopefully it won't be like Unlimited. It seems it's going to be about the F-22 Raptor developement/testing phase (in that way I guess it's somewhat similar to the new OS in MLA), and it'll be on russian soil with two russians, a half american half japanese and a japanese as the main characters... I'm hoping for political intrigues ala coup d'etat arc. Hopefully I don't get disappointed... but yeah...

Araragi93 said:

Call me stupid if you want, but what's the reference here? Only clear reference I can think of that I wish was in ep2 was

Beware, MLA's huge spoilers ahead

Jul 10, 2012 5:09 PM
Apr 2012
Araragi93 said:
maxie said:
Arcane587 said:
Windex said:

Araragi93 said:

Beware, MLA's huge spoilers ahead

MLA spoilers ahoy:

Edit: Oh, I also want to mention that I hope that the music gets a bit better, the MLA OST was fucking awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DO-VRaqxKI&feature=relmfu
Jul 10, 2012 5:28 PM

Oct 2010
Aversa said:
But there might be some new characters that might replace Yamashiro's cool personality.
YES! And they are TWINS! PV showed them. My sole reason of enjoying the series is ironically not due to Yui but them.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 10, 2012 5:40 PM
Apr 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
Aversa said:
YES! And they are TWINS! PV showed them. My sole reason of enjoying the series is ironically not due to Yui but them.

Wait, those two are twins? They look more like one is at least 5 years older than the other one, lol. Yuuhi and Meyia better twins aesthetically speaking imo. Okay, the smaller one with the bear reminds me of Kasumi so that's a weakpoint of mine Q.Q
Jul 10, 2012 8:16 PM

Oct 2011
yeah, they aren't twins.

and about Inia's resemblance to Kasumi...
Jul 10, 2012 8:23 PM

Oct 2010
maxie said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Aversa said:

Wait, those two are twins? They look more like one is at least 5 years older than the other one, lol. Yuuhi and Meyia better twins aesthetically speaking imo. Okay, the smaller one with the bear reminds me of Kasumi so that's a weakpoint of mine Q.Q
Fraternal maybe? Well they at least look alike to each other.
lolzteez said:
yeah, they aren't twins.

And how can a experiment or event make one siblings less you talking about one being separated from itself and cloned out.

Jul 10, 2012 8:47 PM

Oct 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
lolzteez said:
yeah, they aren't twins.

And how can a experiment or event make one siblings less you talking about one being separated from itself and cloned out.

Jul 10, 2012 11:05 PM
Jan 2010
This is what you get when all you have for an army is a bunch of greenhorns.
Good riddance to that stupid commander who put on airs for a split second.

Also, why do we need to show these amateurs get ripped apart just to show how broken Yui was? Considering that this is an anime-original couple of episodes, they would have gone straight to the start of the novels instead.

Oh and by the way, if someone needs to read the source to understand the premise of the series, then it is a poor series by itself; as much a possible, a series should be able to stand on its own. Well anyway, the basic premise of "overpowered aliens eat pathetic newbish humans" is quite clear at this point.
Jul 11, 2012 12:05 AM

Jul 2011
That was insane o.O Why'd they all gotta go bye bye? I liked her friends.

To see my full review of this episode go here: http://animeordie.blogspot.com/2012/07/muv-luv-alternative-total-eclipse-212.html
Jul 11, 2012 12:24 AM

Jul 2009
Orix said:
Also, why do we need to show these amateurs get ripped apart just to show how broken Yui was? Considering that this is an anime-original couple of episodes, they would have gone straight to the start of the novels instead.

Oh and by the way, if someone needs to read the source to understand the premise of the series, then it is a poor series by itself; as much a possible, a series should be able to stand on its own. Well anyway, the basic premise of "overpowered aliens eat pathetic newbish humans" is quite clear at this point.

you are contradicting yourself there. Those two anime original episodes are there so that people understand what the premise is about, and why the world is in such a dire situation. Therefore in your criteria, this show is at least good.
Jul 11, 2012 1:09 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Oh boy, I didn't expect this from watching the first episode. I thought it was going to be your classic 'teenage girls show adults how it's done' show and instead I got a spectacular bloodbath. Excellent I say! I hope to have more excellent mecha action.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 11, 2012 1:16 AM

Jan 2011
I will give this a chance if I read, that those two first episode weren't part of the original story. Cause for me those two first episodes would probably rank on the same level as Mars of Destruction.
Jul 11, 2012 1:30 AM

Apr 2011
lolzteez said:
yeah, they aren't twins.

About Kasumi
Jul 11, 2012 5:24 AM
Jan 2010
you are contradicting yourself there. Those two anime original episodes are there so that people understand what the premise is about, and why the world is in such a dire situation. Therefore in your criteria, this show is at least good.

If it wasn't for the gore, which I always think is an all-too-easy way to get attention, then yes. But I still wanted the TSFs to put up a fight against the BETA. Right now, it looks like it was a one-sided onslaught.

And based on that, you can say that I LOATHE anime series that revolves around DESPAIR. I see plots that revolve around DESPAIR as cheap-ass ways to make money, just like breast and ass exposure.
Jul 11, 2012 5:32 AM
Apr 2012
Wow, this episode is realistic in the sense that anyone could be killed in a war when you least expect it.

I really feel for the MC when she had to see her friend being eaten by those things in front of her. Gosh..

War is a horrible thing, even against aliens I guess.
Jul 11, 2012 7:48 AM

Mar 2011
Wow what a solid episode, now the next episode will be the introduction of the male protagonist right?
Jul 11, 2012 8:11 AM
Apr 2012
dolfo317 said:
Wow what a solid episode, now the next episode will be the introduction of the male protagonist right?

Next ep will be the beginning of the LN, so yeah.
Jul 11, 2012 11:34 AM

May 2012
maxie said:
dolfo317 said:

Next ep will be the beginning of the LN, so yeah.

Finally since the first episode I've been waiting for the male mc.
Jul 11, 2012 11:44 AM

Jan 2011
This show is great, finally a show without all that happy crap but something realistic.
I can't wait for the next episode, this show is very promising.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 11, 2012 5:23 PM

Oct 2011
Magito said:

About Kasumi

Jul 11, 2012 8:40 PM

Nov 2007
wow that was brutal. much better than the first episode. more action, and uh ... everyone dies but the main girl.

going to keep watching after that. still don't see how they can win at this point.
Jul 11, 2012 8:48 PM
Mar 2012
Magito said:
lolzteez said:
yeah, they aren't twins.

About Kasumi

mystik said:
wow that was brutal. much better than the first episode. more action, and uh ... everyone dies but the main girl.

going to keep watching after that. still don't see how they can win at this point.

liemtodaisuJul 11, 2012 8:51 PM
Jul 11, 2012 9:05 PM

Oct 2010
lolzteez said:
Yumekichi11 said:
lolzteez said:
yeah, they aren't twins.

Ah yes, I can confirm that now. I put on my BLOG a huge 800pics of this.

I PUKED out on the gore and Tentacle Hentai rape. Both sick shits!

If they adapt that somehow. It will shit people and censors will really save loads of minds.

Jul 11, 2012 9:55 PM
Mar 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
lolzteez said:
Yumekichi11 said:
lolzteez said:
yeah, they aren't twins.

Ah yes, I can confirm that now. I put on my BLOG a huge 800pics of this.

I PUKED out on the gore and Tentacle Hentai rape. Both sick shits!

If they adapt that somehow. It will shit people and censors will really save loads of minds.

They can adapt it to Xbox 360 and PS3 so it should be alright since they're gonna censore those thing in a smart way.
Jul 12, 2012 6:59 AM

Mar 2011
It's been a long time since I saw an episode as nasty as this ep
But now i'm interested again to see how this would be shaping
Jul 12, 2012 7:42 AM

Apr 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Aversa said:
That's good to hear since it does add nicely to this anime.
I wonder if there will be any characters of Muvluv Unlimited but i have to wait and see for that.

Yamashiro suffered a terrible death tho i mean all she could do was wait for her death while this Beta where eating her units that's just cruel.
And the sensors doesn't suggests much goods for the fan service scenes which where nice in Muvluv Unlimited.
Jul 12, 2012 8:23 PM

Aug 2008
Wasn't expecting the bloodbath. I knew those girls weren't the main characters but I thought some of them especially Yamashiro might survive, just that they never appear again in the main plot. Guess not.
Jul 12, 2012 10:37 PM

Feb 2009
um... first episode was pretty boring but... um...

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HELL? i try to avoid saying this but omg, shit was SERIOUSLY so cash. oh god, when she discovered those monsters just devouring her friend, i lost it. 5/5 right there. gonna follow this now, hopefully this isn't the peak and it's only the beginning of more of that greatness.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 1, 2012

175 by Zane_0 »»
Aug 9, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.