Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2012 3:31 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Okay, I suppose it's only natural for a parent to want to to protect there child like Mrs. Barry here but I think she's overreacting to a large degree. I guess I see now what Marilla meant when she said that Mrs. Barry can be difficult to get along with.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 30, 2015 9:25 PM

Jul 2011
I feel like it's all a scheme to get Anne back to school. When Marilla went over, I think she planned with Mrs. Barry. It's not as if she could stop them from interacting at school after all, even if Diana is not allowed to go play with Anne.
May 26, 2017 9:32 AM

Jun 2013
That was actually pretty damn hard to watch!
Aug 16, 2017 5:46 AM

Feb 2016
One of the weaker episodes. I find it hard to believe that Anne couldn't tell that Diane was getting intoxicated. Considering she lived for years observing Mr. Thomas get drunk. I would think watching a full grown man stumble around in a drunken stupor with a strong smell of alcohol in the air, day in, day out is bound to leave an impact. I am being rather conservative, Mr. Thomas was not the innocent drunk either. Anne grew up in a very volatile unstable unloving environment and was thrust into a life of exhausting work to justify her upkeep. She should be far more mature, far less prone to crying at the drop of a hat, not by preference, but by logical consistency.

Look I get that she is a child, and she is being spoilt to a degree with her current lifestyle but I am finding it harder to enjoy the show watching Anne's 'impudent' antics. If you had watched the prequel (chronological), 'Before Green Gables', I think you would agree with me that Anne had regressed into a more selfish, foolish, stagnant, unconscientious, close minded and ungrateful girl. That is not to say, that that Anne was a perfect character, hardly!
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Aug 16, 2017 5:46 AM

Feb 2016
The Anne I know and grew to love, yearned deeply for love, family, for the right for education; bullies and constant family crises never stopped her. She was gifted and nurtured through trial of fire and ice a strong unbreakable spirit that was a source of inspiration to her superiors and her 'inferiors', she rolled up her sleeves when times got hard, not cry and whine over banal melodramatic nonsense. The Anne I see is quick to burn her bridges, is wholly ignorant of just how far she's gone to achieve her peaceful lifestyle and is actively avoiding school.

And the problem is this, a character can be hated but still be considered a well-written character, so far I am seeing some of the magic of the show, but just can't reach the heights of ghibli's best works, not with Anne in the way. She's lost her wits as well as her grit. I think it's wonderful that she gets to finally achieve a normal happy childhood, but I can't help but feel that her character had been thoroughly gutted, and that's too high a price to pay.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Aug 17, 2017 10:54 AM

Sep 2008
Rosny said:
The Anne I know and grew to love, yearned deeply for love, family, for the right for education; bullies and constant family crises never stopped her. She was gifted and nurtured through trial of fire and ice a strong unbreakable spirit that was a source of inspiration to her superiors and her 'inferiors', she rolled up her sleeves when times got hard, not cry and whine over banal melodramatic nonsense. The Anne I see is quick to burn her bridges, is wholly ignorant of just how far she's gone to achieve her peaceful lifestyle and is actively avoiding school.

And the problem is this, a character can be hated but still be considered a well-written character, so far I am seeing some of the magic of the show, but just can't reach the heights of ghibli's best works, not with Anne in the way. She's lost her wits as well as her grit. I think it's wonderful that she gets to finally achieve a normal happy childhood, but I can't help but feel that her character had been thoroughly gutted, and that's too high a price to pay.

all I can say is, keep watching.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 8, 2018 7:51 AM
Aug 2014
Didn't think it would be a scheme, but now you mention it Mirorin it does make sense. Mrs Bary didn't strike me as the kind of person to be so unforgiving.
Nov 18, 2018 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
Rosny said:
One of the weaker episodes. I find it hard to believe that Anne couldn't tell that Diane was getting intoxicated. Considering she lived for years observing Mr. Thomas get drunk. I would think watching a full grown man stumble around in a drunken stupor with a strong smell of alcohol in the air, day in, day out is bound to leave an impact. I am being rather conservative, Mr. Thomas was not the innocent drunk either. Anne grew up in a very volatile unstable unloving environment and was thrust into a life of exhausting work to justify her upkeep. She should be far more mature, far less prone to crying at the drop of a hat, not by preference, but by logical consistency.

Look I get that she is a child, and she is being spoilt to a degree with her current lifestyle but I am finding it harder to enjoy the show watching Anne's 'impudent' antics. If you had watched the prequel (chronological), 'Before Green Gables', I think you would agree with me that Anne had regressed into a more selfish, foolish, stagnant, unconscientious, close minded and ungrateful girl. That is not to say, that that Anne was a perfect character, hardly!

I haven't seen the prequel but it kind of makes sense right? Compared to her life before green gables, the life she has with Marilla and Matthew is almost luxurious and it's spoiled her a bit. Now, I'll have to see how she will grow out of this phase and mature in the next 34 episodes.
Aug 16, 2019 4:20 PM
Aug 2018
Whenever characters start to talk about how they wish things would last forever, it's a red flag that things will change.

But it is kinda sad to see how Mrs. Barrys opinion of Anne made a 180° turn.
Dec 16, 2019 5:17 PM

Dec 2012
While I feel bad for Anne, drunken Diana was hilariously adorable.
May 9, 2020 1:19 PM

Feb 2020
I saw the title of this ep saying that the tea party would end tragically, but I definitely didn't expect for Diana to get drunk.
I found it funny at first, especially due to Anne's confusion and Diana's goofiness, but then Mrs Barry decided to be a jerk. I understand that she is worried for her daughter but Marilla came to tell her the truth, and Anne was completely heartbroken, how can she be so heartless ? She's a KID !
Poor Anne, why can't she just have nice things ? She doesn't deserve that, it wasn't even her fault, poor little thing, I hate seeing her like that.
However this episode confirmed my love for Marilla. She truly cares about Anne, this is so sweet. I was waiting for her to act like a mother towards Anne and I think this episode showed her starting to. I'm so glad. The way she just genuily felt bad for Anne when she hugged her hit me right in the feels, and that last scene when she wiped Anne's tears away... I love these two so much.

(Wow, some people are really harsh towards Anne... She is flawed but every kid is, she has all the time to grow.)
FafetteMay 10, 2020 1:34 AM
Mar 1, 2021 4:36 AM

Nov 2011
Yes, they showed Mrs. Barry's hard personallity that Marilla (and Matthew ?) worried about in early episodes. This accident also give a reason for Anne for wanting to go back to school. The plot moving fast with unexpected way in this episode.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 9, 2021 6:29 AM

Aug 2015
Hmm difficult to see for our poor Anne who had not intentionally offered wine to Diana
Dec 21, 2023 3:57 AM

Sep 2007
Wonderful anime. Followed the book.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jun 21, 2012

5 by Dumb »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:13 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

8 by Dumb »»
Nov 22, 2023 1:31 AM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Jan 21, 2012

28 by Dumb »»
Nov 21, 2023 8:46 PM

Poll: » Akage no Anne Episode 47 Discussion

stand - Sep 2, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Sep 26, 2023 3:31 PM

» Is anime better than the netflix live action or both of them are good

removed-user - Aug 14, 2023

2 by VilexRoss »»
Aug 14, 2023 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.