Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 8, 2012 8:22 AM
Oct 2010
I'm really very sorry for my quite broad criteria, but honestly, I haven't seen a good series in a while, and I'd really like to watch some decent anime again. Basically I'm looking for a good story, interesting characters, an emotional investment with the previous two, and a real climax.

If any of you guys have the time, you could check out my List and give me recommendations off of that. But without that, I'd like to mention my favourite series, and why I liked them.

Cowboy Bebop:
This one showed me that Anime was more than just boyish power fantasies like DBZ. It was just oozing with cool, and when I started really watching I discovered fun episodes, great characters, some real tearjerker episodes, and a good conclusion.

Samurai Champloo:
Ditto for the above, but a different setting.

Serial Experiments Lain:
I love these "thinking" animes that really put the mind in a completely different place. The suspenseful story coupled with that brooding atmosphere really made this show very unique and more of an experience than just "a show".

Neon Genesis:
More thinking anime, a little bit more exploitative in that it just draws upon lots of tropes, but I love the Shinji character study and the mysterious conspiracy plot line that I kinda forgot where it went...

Haibane Renmei:
It really shows how great ABe and crew are at designing atmosphere, this one was completely serene and almost hypnotizing. I loved the drama of the show, which was really only the protagonist and two other key characters coming to terms with identity. Good stuff.

GTO:
Just some simple, serialized whackiness, and Onizuka is just a very entertaining character for the ways he deals with situations.

Melancholy of Haruhi:
The basic high school moeblob BUT with added elements of sci-fi and mystery. Makes for a great hybrid of sorts that kept me very entertained.

Welcome to the NHK!:
A simple show about some deeply flawed individuals, which made it a lot easier to associate with than most shows out there. It didn't let itself get too dark by introducing elements of humour, and the escapades of the three main characters was fun to watch.

Ghost in the Shell (movies 1 & 2):
Your basis for all the mystery and suspense anime for years to come. It took the Blade Runner question of whether androids are really people, and tied it to an investigation story. The second got a little too carried away and became a little pretentious, but a good watch nonetheless.

Grave of the Fireflies:
A simple story of children caught in extreme circumstances, the adventures they go through, and the heart wrenching ending. Beautiful.

FLCL:
Distilled and condensed Japanese madness, despite not knowing what was going on, it was just so crazy and insane, you couldn't stop watching. Soundtrack was also EXCELLENT.

Trigun:
Another hybrid series of sorts, the first half was you typical comedy romp, while the second became very dramatic and probed the character of Vash. I remember the ending was quite abrupt and disappointing though.

That's probably just about it for my favourites, I've crawled through other recommendations and put them on my List under Plan to Watch. I also have movies/series I've "acquired" and are ready to watch, I just don't have suitable encouragement to really start watching. And I'm really trying to do good and start buying my anime, and as such I've kinda slowed down my watching as well. Really want to get hard copies of my favourites first, then move onto new stuff (in terms of purchases, I still want to d/l a series if it has my immediate interest, and I'll consider the purchase after watching.)

That was probably longer than your usual recommendation topic, so thanks in advance to those who take the time and read all this!
Jun 8, 2012 8:34 AM

Jan 2012
Good taste.

Check out the rest of Satoshi Kon's stuff.

Kino's Journey
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Monster
Aria
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Mushishi
Koi Kaze
GuZJun 8, 2012 8:42 AM
Jun 8, 2012 8:56 AM

Jun 2008
So many good anime you haven't seen. Here's some that i think fit your preferences

Ga-Rei: Zero
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Gungrave
Hellsing Ultimate
Durarara!!
Eureka Seven
Casshern Sins
Bokurano
Blood+
Black Lagoon
Mardock Scramble
Nana
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Shiki
Steins;Gate
Spice and Wolf
Berserk
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Usagi Drop
Witchblade
Bakemonogatari
MonadJun 8, 2012 8:59 AM
Jun 8, 2012 9:39 AM

Mar 2009
I think you'll find I really enjoy the kind of anime you are talking about. You are, however, missing a few good ones.

.Anime Title - .Year - .Eps - .My Rating

BTW: You will find that Salaryman Kintarou is a lot like GTO.
lisnoireJun 8, 2012 9:47 AM
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jun 9, 2012 11:39 PM
Oct 2010
Gah, so many choices!

Are there any series which are really particular standouts?
Jun 10, 2012 1:10 AM

Dec 2011
Kaze no Stigma - The romance in this story is really unique with a good blend of action.

Legend of Legendary Heroes - Dunno what to say, it's just really good.

I got more but i forgot them :/ you can check my animelist if you want pretty much all that i am watching / have completed are good.
"Neither devil nor death. I am just murder."
Jun 10, 2012 4:30 AM

Jul 2010
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - definitely has an emotional side and good characters
Future boy conan - also another one with a good story, good character development though the action isnt really fighting.
Seconding legend of the legendary heroes - though i do want to warn you that you might be a little disappointed with some parts of it.

I think Outlaw Star is a tad bit similar to cowboy bepop.
Another space anime is Mugen no Ryvius (this ones kind of undiscovered by a lot of mal users for some reason - but i found the main character's voice a bit annoying, otherwise it was good)

Since you liked 'thinking' animes, how about
-Akagi
-Kaiji
-One Outs

I hope you find something there!
Jun 10, 2012 4:50 AM

May 2012
We just need to accept that this guy needs to watch One Piece
Signature removed.
Jun 10, 2012 6:17 AM

Mar 2009
a1 said:
Gah, so many choices!

Are there any series which are really particular standouts?
--If you are referring in particular to the list I provided, please note that they are listed in descending order of my personal preference. Check the respective profile pages to determine their suitability to your taste. You can also search YouTube and check for clips.

You might also take note of the titles you see being brought up by more than one person like:

Kino's Journey
Monster
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Casshern Sins
Black Lagoon
Phantom Requiem for the Phantom
Ranibow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Berserk
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
lisnoireJun 10, 2012 6:27 AM
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Jun 10, 2012 6:23 AM

Apr 2009
Rainbow: Nisha
Monster
Everything else by Satoshi Kon (Paranoia Agent, Millennium Actress, Paprika, Perfect Blue, etc)
Kino's Jouney
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Revolutionary Girl Utena

are all ones that would be great choices.
Jun 10, 2012 3:19 PM

Feb 2012
Well I've just finished steins;gate and I have to say it was by far the best anime I've ever seen, next to higurashi no naku koro ni. Steins;gate has very interesting characters (there weren't any characters I didn't like) an amazing story, which is full of mystery, twists, and moments that'll just blow your mind. It has had me actually laughing (the only anime that has managed to do this for me) crying and pretty much had me in awe all the way through (also just an FYI as usual do not search anything about the anime, don't even type in the characters names, I nearly had the anime completely spoiled thanks to this).

Also here's my animelist I would definitely recommend any from the ratings 8 - 10 note higurashi no naku koro ni and elfen lied have some disturbing/very violent scenes.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Thewestguy1&show=0&order=4
Jun 10, 2012 9:28 PM

Apr 2012
Steins;Gate is a good one. Baccano is also very good with a good cast of characters a lots of action. Full metal Alchemist and FMA Brotherhood are very epic series also.
Jun 10, 2012 10:10 PM

Jan 2012
true you need to watch one piece,best shonen out there.also at the guy who said durarara don't recommend that without recommending baccano too
Jun 10, 2012 10:53 PM

Mar 2012
I second:
Whisper of the Heart (Movie)
Glass Mask (2005) - (Complete 51 Episodes)

I also recommend:
Kanon (2002) - (Complete 13 Episodes)
Kanon (2006) - (Complete 24 Episodes)
Jun 10, 2012 11:17 PM

Sep 2011
I actually like a lot of the anime you listed so maybe we have similar taste. Well here's my own personal recommendation:

Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners - A 7-part anime film series with a 30-minute Epilogue to close it off. Personally my most favorite anime of all and one of the only few that I actually consider to be a true masterpiece. It's supernatural/mystery/action/thriller/romance all wrapped up in one. It has a very compelling and intelligent story, coupled with a great soundtrack and beautiful animation. The main character, Ryougi Shiki, is also a great example of the deconstruction of the tsundere/yandere anime archetype touching on how her unstable impulses affect her mental state as well as those who are close to her. You should know that the first 4 films are out of order and it's done on purpose since you're meant to piece the story together like that until it all comes together in Movie 5 (sort of like a puzzle).

Also it's best to take the series this way: the first 4 movies is like Season 1 while the 5th movie is more like an OVA/Movie whereas the last 3 is more like the Season 2 set after Movie 5 (though I'd say Movie 7 is still a pretty strong finale despite being less grand than Movie 5).

You can d/l the series through Coalgirls (google search it) and they provide both the retail and fansubs. Also, DVD releases of this series have recently been announced so you can just wait for them to come out or order them straight from America when they do: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=446447
ronriJun 11, 2012 6:14 AM
Jun 11, 2012 5:45 AM

Apr 2009
crysta1_dark said:
I second:
Whisper of the Heart (Movie)
Glass Mask (2005) - (Complete 51 Episodes)

I also recommend:
Kanon (2002) - (Complete 13 Episodes)
Kanon (2006) - (Complete 24 Episodes)

I know you're trying, but these are *nothing* like the anime he listed. You should expand your horizons a bit and watch a few of them yourself to see.
SweetpeaJun 11, 2012 5:51 AM
Jun 11, 2012 6:21 AM

Mar 2009
EratiK said:
Hm, no one's mentionned Michiko to Hatchin so far.
--Think again.
Jun 11, 2012 7:00 AM

Mar 2009
EratiK said:
lisnoire said:
EratiK said:
Hm, no one's mentionned Michiko to Hatchin so far.
--Think again.
You and your walls of text... I'm dlg Shion btw, thanks to you. ^^
--Those who take the time to look are rewarded. ;-) Those who expect a three word answer to everything . . . . oh, well.
Jun 11, 2012 7:42 AM
May 2012
steins;gate - very good plot, unexpected suspense on the first episodes, emotional overflow on the end.. especially when okarin desperately trying to save both mayuri and kurisu.. a remarkable scifi anime..

busou renkin - normal and peaceful life = death+rebirth+alchemy = hero.. it also had a good plot, thrilling action scenes, romance in the end, just like steins;gate..

kenichi - kenichi tries to become strong to protect the important persons to him.. slow romance development.. very good action scenes.. mild dramatic plot.. few flashbacks with interesting story..

amagami ss/ss plus - lots and lots and lots of romance.. the title of each episode and chapter foreshadows the ending of the anime itself... romantic-comedic plot.. good character development every episode... in short, blockbuster romance anime (for me)

gosick - mystifying cases... interesting story you will crave for more.. suspenseful conflict with its resolves in the end.. cute romantic scenes especially after the world war.. drastic change of the lolita, but cute.. :3
May 7, 2016 4:12 PM
May 2016
Angel Beats was one of the best anime I have ever seen. If you have any reason for 'putting off' watching Angel Beats(like I did. I heard some crappy summary from a youtuber. The anime is always much better than the summary!!!) then you need to get rid of those reasons. There are only a few other anime I've enjoyed as much. (Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist and a few others.

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 9 hours ago

6 by silversaint »»
2 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
3 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
7 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.