Forum Settings
Forums

How have voice actors/seyiuus ever affected your views on anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 28, 2012 12:01 PM

Apr 2008
A few years ago, I could probably tell you that an anime is good based on the voice acting alone. The story, characters, and animation could all be mediocre, but if Mamoru Miyano or Hiroshi Kamiya were in the cast, I'd probably say that it was a masterpiece. Not so much now. I still value voice acting in anime, but not as much as story, direction, or animation.
May 28, 2012 12:14 PM

Feb 2012
Of course, good seyiuus are something that makes me enjoy the particular anime more. But good seiuus can't save bad anime, that's for sure.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
May 28, 2012 12:38 PM

May 2010
I always watch a series with pleasure, when one of the seiyuu is:
- Daisuke Ono (thanks to Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji)
- Hikaru Midorikawa (thanks to Zelgadis from Slayers)
- Hiroshi Kamiya (thanks to Yuzuru from Angel Beats!)
- Yuuichi Nakamura (thanks to Tomoya from Clannad)
- Nabuhiko Okamoto (thanks to Rin from Ao no Exorcist)
Well I have more, but they are "main" ones.
As for girls:
- Yukari Tamura (thanks to Rika from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
- Yuki Matsuoka (thanks to Orihime from Bleach)
- Yui Horie (thanks to Minori from Toradora!)
- Aya Hirano (thanks to Haruhi from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, of course)
- Kana Hanazawa (thanks to Kanade from Angel Beats! though I hate Shiemi from AnE and Anri fom Drrr! so not sure about that one...)

I like anime with some "older" seiyuus, for example Akira Ishida, Ryotaro Okiayu, Kikuko Inoue or Megumi Hayashibara.
And, yeah. Seiyuus often affect my vievs on anime. Well, maybe not much on anime, but on characters.
Not sure why, but main shounen characters ALWAYS sounds cool... Ichigo, Luffy, Naruto, can't imagine them with different seiyuus ;3
May 28, 2012 1:16 PM

Jun 2011
Yes. For some reason i enjoy a series more if it has my favorite seyiuus.

See Shirokuma Cafe for example.
May 28, 2012 1:40 PM

Sep 2011
Nope.I just chuckle when I hear them(if they're from a character I know) when/if I watch the anime.
I can see favourite VAs making people more interested in a certain anime though.
skapandiMay 28, 2012 2:04 PM
May 28, 2012 1:47 PM
Sep 2011
All it does for me is make me adore or annoyed by specific characters.

One of the biggest bonuses for watching Steins;Gate was the voice talents of Kana Hanazawa. I was hoping to hear more of this audible gorgeousness, Instead I got the single most irritating voice I have ever heard.

Aoi Yuuki is another odd case. She has an amazing vocal range, so as long as she doesn't sound like Madoka, I'll watch anything with her in it.

Ai Nonaka is probably the only voice actress that could make me avoid an anime. Zero vocal range, all of her characters have the same shrill, nasally voice that makes me cringe every time I hear it. As long as her character doesn't have a major role (Toradora, Negima!?) then it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the anime (Or game in the case of Atelier Annie).
May 28, 2012 3:09 PM

Jun 2008
Man, this thread NEEDS Norio Wakamoto.

The guy can make a show funny and epic even if he's not intentionally trying to do so. This man always make that particular anime more enjoyable than it is.

Then there's Kamiya Hiroshi, who's voice is made for overexaggerated jokes and sarcasm. And Tomokazu Sugita (are these guys buddies? Like one of the best duos for comedy) who have such a smooth voice for being cool and funny.
May 30, 2012 1:16 AM

May 2012
Nope. Because even if I do recognize the voices, I don't even care to see if it's that VA or not. And I don't look up VA either.

May 30, 2012 1:17 AM

Aug 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:

Working'!! and Fairy Tail both have great voice actors IMO.

Of course Working!! does, it has Ono Daisuke after all.
May 30, 2012 1:40 AM

Apr 2010
Nope, never even crosses my mind.

I don't even know that many VA's names outside of like 3 or 4 really famous ones. Just don't care.
leingodf8May 30, 2012 1:43 AM
May 31, 2012 2:43 PM

Nov 2008
i will watch crap animes if they have a few of my fav seiyuus.
i FIND ppl who do voice imitation on nicodou so VA is pretty important, but if its a crap anime, better voices prob just make it tolerable for me.

though, whenever i hear nakai's (hijikata, date masamune etc) voice, i picture zoro in a recording studio voicing hijikata =_= llol.
also for sugita, but with gintoki instead.
May 31, 2012 3:36 PM

Oct 2010
Obviously, voice actors can change the my view of a character (Sentarou's voice is like orgasm to my ears) to better or worse. As for if it can change my view on the entire show, not really. Unless the entire cast is just really bad and a bunch of misfits, like the dub of Higurashi.
But I don't go out of my way to find out which voice actors are in the show I plan to watch and I usually don't even realize the same person is dubbing two different characters (unless it's very obvious, like with Aya Hirano).
merurinMay 31, 2012 3:39 PM
May 31, 2012 3:36 PM

Jun 2011
Yes, sometimes I search specifically for anime with a particular voice actor in it.
May 31, 2012 3:37 PM

Aug 2009
I alot of times search for anime that has Junichi Suwabe in it, just because I Love his voice acting. Seeing him in an anime (alot) makes me immidiately like it. Furthermore I don't seek out anime with specific voice actors. I do tend to look up the voice actors when I watch the anime so that I can be like; 'Oh, he also played that guy in that one anime!' just for fun :'D
May 31, 2012 3:58 PM

Feb 2012
I can never recognize a seiyuu without knowing beforehand who it is, I just completely miss the resemblance. However, it's nice to look up the seiyuus involved in some of my favorite anime, though it doesn't usually factor in my decision to watch one anime over another. It's also pretty cool to see a singer of a really good OP/ED theme play a character or sing an OP/ED in another show, but other than that, it's not really something I think about. I've never had any issue with subbed anime; I think the Japanese voices are always great, honestly. Dubs, well, some are really good, like Claymore, Soul Eater, and Clannad, but others, like Lucky Star and Case Closed, well, they put me off.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
May 31, 2012 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm I do tend to search out anime that have my favorite voice actors when I have nothing else in particular l want to watch.

Can't say I would like a character just because my favorite voice actor is behind the scenes. Mamoru Miyano and Light from Death Note would be a good example of that.
May 31, 2012 4:12 PM

Jul 2010
made it more enjoyable or annoying to watch/listen to an anime i.e. high pitched voices ect.

May 31, 2012 5:04 PM

Dec 2009
If the character matches the voice or sometimes the seiyuu's personal character, it may get a bonus.
For poorly matched characters, no matter who they are, negatives.
Some voices are too sharp and annoying or too dull or plain, also get negatives.
May 31, 2012 7:03 PM

Aug 2011
No. The only people I can really identify are Greg Ayres, and Johnny Yong Bosch. Everyone else is kinda there, so I don't judge anything based on them. Don't get me started on the Japanese VA's either, they're pretty much all the same to me and I feel like every anime has the same actors. xD

I can recognize their names, but not their voices.

May 31, 2012 7:32 PM

Aug 2011
They play a huge part on me in terms of first impressions. If an anime has a star-studded cast, I'd be more willing to watch it. For example, Zetman of this season. It had Miyano Mamoru and Romi Paku, my two favourite VAs. Shirokuma Cafe as well - Fukuyama Jun, Kamiya Hiroshi, Sakurai Takahiro, etc. However, I don't really rate an anime based on VAs.
May 31, 2012 7:47 PM

Mar 2008
I try not to pay attention as to who the voice actors are, as that would kind of hinder the immersion into the story.

However, there seems to be a shortage of voice actors for English dubs, so I often notice the same one recycled time after time in anime...which helps make dubs a bit more stale for me, and was probably a small factor in my deciding to always read subs instead.
May 31, 2012 8:58 PM
Mar 2011
if you are a seiyuu buff like me stuff like gundam 0079 LOGH and Bebop[ yes i prise bebop] should be a little slice of audio heaven for your

it makes Bebop a show that by my ratting sacle should be a 2 up to five

and makes LOGH [ as a fan of the novel] make the anime perfect [ hell iv even ripped epirsed of dvd and coverted them to mp3 so i can listen to them esaccalyy when im reading the novel

LOGH = the bigeest seiyuu otaku cast noting has ever beat that cast when it comes to sheer know big name seiyuu [ it is the most stacked cast ever [ ie if you wtached /listern to the whole Franchise [ and do cannoy recall by vocal sound at lest 5 other roles of 10 Seiyuu in the anime then you dont know seiyuu
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 31, 2012 11:34 PM

Mar 2012
Paul said:
Ever since Guilty Crown, when ever I hear Yuki Kaji's voice, I can expect people to look down on the character and if he's voicing the main character, look down on the anime.

You just speak my mind! Like in the current airing Accel World, I just have to look down on the protagonist again. Its like whatever character he does, I expect them to be cowards. This is going to take time..
Jun 1, 2012 5:08 AM

May 2012
I have, like, no idea who voices any of the characters I love lol. I don't pay attention to voice actors. :I
Jun 1, 2012 5:13 AM

Oct 2011
I seldom ever am influenced by a specific voice actor.

Main reason, unless they sound exactly the same as another character from a series I loved, chances are, I won't immediately recognize the voice. Besides, I never check voice actors until having watched at least one episode/half the movie.
Time waits for no one...

DrunkenBlowfish said:
Ho-oh, I'd imagine its like a Skittles flavored turkey.

Jun 1, 2012 5:44 AM

Mar 2009
Well a few voice actors do influence my decision to watch an anime but not much.
Jun 1, 2012 9:11 AM

Sep 2010
Nope. I don't stalk the voices I enjoy nor do I actively try to avoid the voices I don't like in anime. If I happen to see a cast listing or know who's performing in a show then how much I like the actors only serve to increase/decrease my expectations of the voice track but will not make my watch or avoid a show without hearing it first.

Jun 28, 2012 3:27 PM
Jun 2012
yea like in one piece, naruto and other animes the main guy is usually always a lady acting it but i still watched it
Jun 28, 2012 3:34 PM

Jun 2011
Well, if I watch an anime and I hear a certain voice actor I know and love (for example, watching Kimi to Boku and hearing Miyu Irino as Chizuru), then half the time it leads my influence. However, the story mainly carries it all for me.

I don't actively avoid certain voice actors either, it's just story quality for me. Another example... I hear Greg Ayres in Deadman Wonderland's English dub, I heard him previously in Clannad's English dub as Sunohara (...which I preferred in Japanese anyways) as well as being Yuki Sohma in Fruits Basket, but I keep watching the show anyways even though I feel that Greg acting in high pitch isn't that good for me.
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Jun 28, 2012 3:47 PM

Jun 2012
Well I started watching recorder because of the big names one it. Mainly Okaiyu though, love that guy. Also I adore the voices in Nichijou, and love all the character songs. So they affected my view on that show very positively, and is a contributing factor to it being my 2nd all time fav.
Jun 28, 2012 3:57 PM

Dec 2011
I do not care about VAs and seiyuus that much but they have led me to care about characters more. I would prefer voice acting to match up with the supposed age of the characters.
Jun 28, 2012 4:39 PM

Jun 2012
I don't watch animes for seiyuus, but when I recognize a voice it's fun to see if I was right that they voiced a character in another anime I watched.
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Jun 28, 2012 4:49 PM
Mar 2011
yes
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 28, 2012 4:52 PM

Jan 2012
Voice actors of Zetman attracted me into watching it, disappointed.
Aya Hirano makes any woman hot.
Jun 28, 2012 9:02 PM

Feb 2010
Huh..?

This question doesn't apply to me at all when I pick an anime to watch.

I don't particularly pay attention to the voice acting either. Its usually the annoying character personality that turns me off.
Jun 28, 2012 9:12 PM

Apr 2011
I love hearing the voices of my favourite voice actors so I will watch stuff just because they are in it. Even if its crap, I will watch and let their voices caress my ear drums lovingly~
Jun 28, 2012 9:14 PM

May 2009
I could not stand the English version of To Heart, but then I realized it didn't matter because the anime sucked anyways!

I also will not and never! Watch The Story of Saiunkoku in English. American voice actors in anime I mean them voicing an anime character half of the time shows their boredom. And I will never watch an hentai in English either!
Jun 28, 2012 9:47 PM

Jun 2011
I will not necessarily chose to watch an anime series solely based on the fact that one of my favorite voice actors have a role in it, but it could possibly persuade me to watch it if I am already somewhat intrigued. Generally, though, I am unaware of the voice actors until I watch an anime. It is only as I am watching it for the first time that I think, "Oh, that's the person who played this character and that character!"

I admit that I do avoid watching any dub with Vic Mignogna, but I almost never watch dubbed anime, so it is rarely a problem.
Jun 28, 2012 10:18 PM

Jun 2012
GH0STSMILES said:
I love hearing the voices of my favourite voice actors so I will watch stuff just because they are in it. Even if its crap, I will watch and let their voices caress my ear drums lovingly~

This is so true in my case as well~xD But really I watch anime for many sometimes ridiculous reasons like good animation even if the story is crap or bad animation even if the story is good or if it has many of the VAs I adore. But I do prioritize in finding an anime that has all three. (Then I go to a happy place. *A*)

PS. I only watch anything dubbed as a last resort. LOL
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

58 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
2 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

12 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

87 by Punkero »»
2 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

984 by subahokke »»
17 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

238 by ISeeLifePeople »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.