Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2012 7:07 AM

Jul 2010
Here go another protagonist with low motto, happy girl, unpopular? energetic friend and random mysteries. Remind me iris zero and here i was hoping for some decent mystery plot.

Art/Animation is the only plus for me.
Apr 24, 2012 7:15 AM

Oct 2010
This is pure eye-candy. Character design, animation and whatnot. ♥ Love it.

I just love the simplicity of this. Just because the "mysteries" were simple doesn't mean they're boring. It kinds of reminds me of Bakuman's PCP. And I liked that quite a lot.

Also, all the characters were just lovable. I just hope the fourth one isn't annoying.
[insert awesome signature here]
Apr 24, 2012 7:54 AM

Oct 2010
AmberFebruary said:
comments regarding how bad this show is so immature
I agree the negative feedback and bashing is terrible but some people don't have patience and try to convince themselves to see this show as low to be impressed later.

IMO patience and watching at least 4 to 6 episodes for the flow is needed. Sadly not all are like me and so all have differences.

One thing though, I do sympathize with fears of people that the studio may fuck in investing too much into visuals. They looks expensive to pour out.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 24, 2012 8:46 AM

Sep 2008
Interesting show so far. I already hate the main girl, though.

Still, those two main guys are really interesting.

Animation is...KyoAni.
Apr 24, 2012 9:57 AM

Feb 2010
For those who complain about the lack of substance of the mysteries - why? It's not like anything really happened so far. One coincidence and one elaborate lie, nothing I would consider a serious attempt to an interesting mystery by the writers. These were just tools to show the personalities of the characters and they succeeded.
Plus if you need to see some really, really bad "mysteries" go watch Phi Brain and then rejoice over the creativity of Hyouka ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 24, 2012 9:58 AM

Mar 2010
It's strange.
I can enjoy Sakamichi no Apollon & Tsuritama just fine but I can't seem to enjoy this one.
I thought it was utterly boring. There was no 'hook' or 'grab' for me at all. I was even surprised I managed to finish the episode with subs.

I guess you can say I found the first episode very...underwhelming.
Hopefully it picks up in the next couple episodes and pays off in the end.
I really want to like this series.
Apr 24, 2012 11:34 AM

Mar 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
For those who complain about the lack of substance of the mysteries - why? It's not like anything really happened so far. One coincidence and one elaborate lie, nothing I would consider a serious attempt to an interesting mystery by the writers. These were just tools to show the personalities of the characters and they succeeded.
Plus if you need to see some really, really bad "mysteries" go watch Phi Brain and then rejoice over the creativity of Hyouka ^^.

This guy strikes again.

I feel like if I took the first episode as seriously as some of these people appear to I would have dropped 95% of the anime I've ever seen.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 24, 2012 11:50 AM

Jan 2012
I've been waiting for ages for this to air and after watching the first episode it proves to be interesting. If it's not a plain Slice of Life thing I'll definitely like it. So happy that it will not be only 12 or 13 episodes. The animation is really good; very colorful characters.

10/10

Apr 24, 2012 12:06 PM

Aug 2011
So...., flicking..., boring!!!!!!! my god, i cant believe i buffered this sh*t lmao. hopefully it will get better, else its wikipedia for it!
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Apr 24, 2012 12:29 PM
Apr 2012
Omniknight said:
I thought that perhaps it may have been the case when he said something along the lines of "perfect timing" and had that smile, but the first mystery was so banal and there was no conclusion to the "joke" other than "Yay, we found it", that I honestly just took it as a serious attempt at mystery from the writers...
That actually makes it even worse when a made a mystery made up by the protagonist is more interesting that the actual ones...

Edit: Ya, it is obvious that it was a joke from the epilogue portion of the episode. I mentioned I skimmed the last portions of the episode because I was flat-lining from boredom.

The fake mystery hints at Houtarou's feeling for Eru (or something along the line).
It is that important.
Apr 24, 2012 12:29 PM
Mar 2011
Stories about characters, rely on the fact that people are interested in other people. Therein lies the problem.
Apr 24, 2012 1:00 PM

Feb 2010
JoshSalas said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

This guy strikes again.

I feel like if I took the first episode as seriously as some of these people appear to I would have dropped 95% of the anime I've ever seen.

Haha, what do you mean by "This guy strikes again"?
Apr 24, 2012 1:39 PM

Jun 2009
Rather boring episode. Satoshi reminded me so much of Sunohara. Now I know why. :D I enjoyed Houtarou's second mystery and that mystery about piano club made me laugh. So, this seems to be the happy-go-lucky type of show. Fine with me since Sankarea is shaping into quite serious drama with some comedy aspects.
Apr 24, 2012 1:51 PM

Apr 2012
I enjoyed this more than I expected to.
Okay Hyouka, you have me for another episode.
Apr 24, 2012 1:54 PM

Mar 2011
From what i have seen, most of people who judged Hyouka boring AND bad are the people who can't stand anime without some action or those who can't stand dialogues and character development based anime. You can look at their fav anime list.
I really hope hyouka could get more interesting
Apr 24, 2012 2:30 PM

Jul 2010
Hearing Nakamura Yuuichi and Sakaguchi Daisuke bickering like friends again; instantly thought of Clannad (KyoAni duh...).

I'm linking it so far. Awesome art and music and the mysteries could get pretty interesting too. Eru's purple eyes of curiosity amaze me! O_O

Next week: Mayaka's appearance!

Apr 24, 2012 3:15 PM

Feb 2010
First half was like "what the fuck am i watching?". Second one was better and a lot more enjoyable. I don't see why ppl hype the shit out of this tho..
Apr 24, 2012 3:26 PM

Mar 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
JoshSalas said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

This guy strikes again.

I mean you've said a lot of things I can agree with, haha.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 24, 2012 3:42 PM

Mar 2012
This show, so far, is so gorgeous. And I really love the use of classical music (such as in the trailer/Moonlight Sonata). I can't wait to see more n_n
Apr 24, 2012 3:48 PM

Oct 2011
LordMorioka said:

It's people like you that make me stop wanting to come here. You should always watch more than one episode of an anime. (Unless the first is ridiculously horrible or not for you)

People who drop anime based on the first episode everytime will never get to see anything, because they'll always have their own dick stuck up their ass.

... Not saying you're like that per-say.. Just saying you should give it more than 1 episode in the first place.

I always give anime I watch at least 3 episodes before I decide to drop - I think it should be a golden rule of anime.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Apr 24, 2012 5:00 PM

Jul 2010
Vizi_Reality said:
From what i have seen, most of people who judged Hyouka boring AND bad are the people who can't stand anime without some action or those who can't stand dialogues and character development based anime. You can look at their fav anime list.
I really hope hyouka could get more interesting

I think it's more of been there, done that in like 50 (not being literal) other animes.
Apr 24, 2012 5:08 PM

Aug 2011
LordMorioka said:

^This..., it was moderately interesting, and only cuz of the girl with the purple eyes. I wont say it has me for a whole episode, prob like 12mins to prove its not complete crap lmao..., else well we always have good ole wikipedia to find out how it ends without the pain of watching it :P
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Apr 24, 2012 5:21 PM

Jul 2011
At first I was getting a lot of Haruhi vibes, but those wore away pretty quickly, but this episode had great animation, and I really hope they can keep this up throughout.

I wonder if the MC is really that anti-social that he would run through hoops just to get Chitanda away from him, or if he was just trying to impress her or make her happy or something. I wonder what the big mystery of this series is going to be though. Anyway looking forward to more.
Apr 24, 2012 6:16 PM

Dec 2009
The art is soooooooo nice. <3
Apr 24, 2012 7:32 PM

Oct 2008
Apr 24, 2012 7:42 PM

Feb 2010
JoshSalas said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
JoshSalas said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

This guy strikes again.

I mean you've said a lot of things I can agree with, haha.

Well, thank you then :)

But really, though I had my beef with the key fancrowd before, now I see they don't have it easy either *gg*
Apr 24, 2012 8:03 PM

Jun 2009
A pretty dull episode. But, I'll keep watching and see where this goes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2012 8:06 PM

Jun 2008
Tomoya and Sunohara, lol so epic
Apr 24, 2012 8:08 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Phi Brain was mystery? Whoa.

I'll stick around until they reveal the main focus of the story, which is "Hyouka" itself. Then, the true plot/mystery should begin.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 24, 2012 8:29 PM

Apr 2011
HoboFreedom said:
Tomoya and Sunohara, lol so epic

Haha. It's like Clannad again. Feels nostalgic.
Apr 24, 2012 8:55 PM

Mar 2008
Those eyes, who could say no to that. Guess we'll have to see where this goes.
Apr 24, 2012 11:10 PM

Apr 2012
BRSxIgnition said:
LordMorioka said:

It's people like you that make me stop wanting to come here. You should always watch more than one episode of an anime. (Unless the first is ridiculously horrible or not for you)

People who drop anime based on the first episode everytime will never get to see anything, because they'll always have their own dick stuck up their ass.

... Not saying you're like that per-say.. Just saying you should give it more than 1 episode in the first place.

I always give anime I watch at least 3 episodes before I decide to drop - I think it should be a golden rule of anime.

You may have taken my post too seriously... :P
I was just saying that I enjoyed the episode and I'm excited to see more, which isn't the case with every anime I watch. If the first episode doesn't excite me, I may stick around for more, but I might not - and I make that decision without fear of ruining anyone else's experience.
Apr 24, 2012 11:21 PM
Jan 2010
Just asking since I might have been to tired when I watched it but what status quo was he prolonging?
Apr 24, 2012 11:21 PM
Jun 2011
I had pretty low expectations coming into this
But I've just been blow away!
The art, the characters, the story! All amazing!
Ohh and those eyes! Beautiful.

I think I'm really going to enjoy this one.
Apr 24, 2012 11:33 PM

Jun 2009
MissileSoup said:
Omniknight said:
The second mystery had potential, but they didn't build on what made the secret club so mysterious, other than no one other than the members know about it... WHY IS IT SECRET? WHAT IS THE CODE BEHIND THE RECRUITMENT INFO? WHO IS THE NEW PRESIDENT? The mysterious aspects weren't even touched upon...

Didn't Hotaro make everything up, from the club to the memo? I could be wrong, as I wasn't paying too much attention at the time. It's not as much a mystery as it was a trick to aid his efficiency, or so he thought. Oddly, this was the one part of the episode I liked.

This is right. He made this up because Eru is always interested in mysteries that when she asks, he can't say no (dem eyes).

Although I think you misunderstood his intentions. He did that trick because Eru was about to ask him investigate the mystery surrounding the music room (which is in the far side of the school). Remember his motto? Save energy and do something as fast as he could, so he did that trick so Eru can hooked on that (and forget about the music room mystery) then he sticked that near the faculty office bulletin board which is quite convenient since he forgot about his homework and he had to pass it. Then it was also close to the exit going home.

After he solved all of it. Eru was occupied, forgot about the music classroom mystery which will make him expend more energy because of it's distance and just about right on the exit so he can go home early.

tl;dr He did it to save time and energy and since she can't say no to Eru for some reason (it's the eyes, definitely the eyes).
Apr 25, 2012 3:49 AM

Aug 2011
Omniknight said:

^This. LMAO, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did that. I'll be kinda half expecting it come next week.
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Apr 25, 2012 4:03 AM

Dec 2009
This was a waste of beautiful art and animation.

K R I S S
leo | usa | istp
dystopias, bright colors, unique animation

Apr 25, 2012 4:13 AM
Jul 2010
I already can't stand Chitanda, she piss me off =/.

This episode was boring, for me.
Apr 25, 2012 4:19 AM

Aug 2011
Krissasaur said:
This was a waste of beautiful art and animation.

I agree, but I liked that waste of plot xD
Apr 25, 2012 5:11 AM

Jul 2011
wow great first episode

The art is really good and that girl is so cute :3
Apr 25, 2012 5:28 AM

Jul 2010
So far, disappointing, I hardly finished the thing.

Hopefully it will pick up in later episodes.
Apr 25, 2012 9:45 AM

Jan 2008
The art is beautiful, as expected from KyoAni.
Forthe rest I'm not impressed so far.

Hate the heroine's voice... in fact I dislike her already.
Apr 25, 2012 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
This... Was rather bland, IMO.
It's not funny, it's not interesting, it's just there. I almost fell asleep by the end of the episode.
Art and Animation are great (even though I don't think they are up to par with Fate/Zero this season, but they have different styles), but still, the main girl sounded just like your everyday moeblob that tries to be adorable, but fails hard...That catchphrase thing was just...Ugh.

If this doesn't get better by episode 3 I'll drop it.
Apr 25, 2012 10:14 AM

Nov 2007
yeah, Tomoya and Sunohara joining a girls club. sound familiar?

other than that is was rather bland and boring. nice animation but ... meh.
Apr 25, 2012 11:38 AM

Apr 2011
If we're talking about mystery works by KyoAni. We definitely must abide by one rule: It is not a Detective Conan, Kindaichi, GOSICK (or -esque anime), Agatha Christie, Sherlock, or lots of heck amount of "mystery" you might think.

Its only another Haruhi-esque with a little tweak here and there. And don't... I mean... never expect anything "gloomy" or "gore" or someone being murdered! Let alone survival horror (read: Higurashi-esque).

I mean, come on guys, grow up already! Mystery doesn't always mean someone being murdered. Mystery doesn't always says something "very" valuable were lost. Mystery-solving doesn't always means that you're gonna save up the world. Someone playing a prank by hiding/switching your left shoe can be considered as a "mystery", if you want to think about it. *sips tea*
Apr 25, 2012 11:42 AM

Mar 2011
Yoshiki said:

It's not fair to hate an anime because of your hate toward the character's voice

Railgun said:
It's not funny, it's not interesting, it's just there. I almost fell asleep by the end of the episode.
Art and Animation are great (even though I don't think they are up to par with Fate/Zero this season, but they have different styles), but still, the main girl sounded just like your everyday moeblob that tries to be adorable, but fails hard...That catchphrase thing was just...Ugh.

It's art is better than Fate/Zero, but you can't compare the animation because Fate Zero has many dynamic action scenes, Hyouka doesn't. Hyouka art is more detailed and lively. Fate Zero art isn't so detailed and most of fate zero scenes happens at night and that fact alone makes it looks like Fate Zero animation and art looks better than Hyouka (actually it doesn't).
Conclusion: In par with Fate Zero
Yeah, you should watch more episodes before you decide
Apr 25, 2012 11:46 AM

Mar 2011
allflying said:
If we're talking about mystery works by KyoAni. We definitely must abide by one rule: It is not a Detective Conan, Kindaichi, GOSICK (or -esque anime), Agatha Christie, Sherlock, or lots of heck amount of "mystery" you might think.

Its only another Haruhi-esque with a little tweak here and there. And don't... I mean... never expect anything "gloomy" or "gore" or someone being murdered! Let alone survival horror (read: Higurashi-esque).

I mean, come on guys, grow up already! Mystery doesn't always mean someone being murdered. Mystery doesn't always says something "very" valuable were lost. Mystery-solving doesn't always means that you're gonna save up the world. Someone playing a prank by hiding/switching your left shoe can be considered as a "mystery", if you want to think about it. *sips tea*

Agree completely. Most people who dislike this episode can't enjoy that type of everyday "mystery"
Apr 25, 2012 12:08 PM

Feb 2010
Vizi_Reality said:
Yoshiki said:

It's not fair to hate an anime because of your hate toward the character's voice

Railgun said:

It's art is better than Fate/Zero, but you can't compare the animation because Fate Zero has many dynamic action scenes, Hyouka doesn't. Hyouka art is more detailed and lively. Fate Zero art isn't so detailed and most of fate zero scenes happens at night and that fact alone makes it looks like Fate Zero animation and art looks better than Hyouka (actually it doesn't).
Conclusion: In par with Fate Zero
Yeah, you should watch more episodes before you decide

Well, not that I don't agree with your point, but out of art and animation art surely is the aspect that can't be compared or divided into "good" and "bad". That is because art is, well, art and animation is a technique, a technology that CAN be quantified, unlike art. Of course action scenes generally need better animation, but the word "better" still applies.

Sorry for the Offtopic, but that's a common misconception that kinda bugs me :P
Apr 25, 2012 1:57 PM
Feb 2012
Satoshi?

Satoshi Fukube.

Yes, Satoshi.

Satoshi Tainaka
sakaApr 30, 2012 10:41 AM
日本人です。海外の反応系のブログもいくつか見させてもらってますw 翻訳頑張ってくださいね。
Apr 25, 2012 8:41 PM

Mar 2011
why is this anime so basic? the lead is boring/generic/forgettable, so forgettable that I couldn't even remember his name after watching.
I'll keep watching a few more eps for Eru though (she's typical too but at least nice to look at)
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.