Forum Settings
Forums

Misleading or overexaggerated titles for a series (NOT non-sensical titles)

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 9, 2012 3:04 PM

Jul 2011
Kazeshini said:
No, I could care less about that emo. Reason why i stated that is should be named after L is simply because he is the icon, he is the standout character. Why do you think he has the most favs? I'm not a fan of death note, and L but I'm right mate.

L? The 'icon'?
Well L is indeed among the most glorified character in existence here on MAL, I'll grant you that much. But I've never heard his name praised anywhere else to be honest.
Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of MALfags watched Death Note purely because of him, but the anime fanbase reaches further than MAL mate. It's simply that all the L fangirls happen to reside here.

The claim that everybody watched the series because of a character is ignorant in itself. Even if you're ultimately referring to the majority, it's still fallacious.
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Apr 9, 2012 3:56 PM
May 2010
Inconscient said:
Kazeshini said:
No, I could care less about that emo. Reason why i stated that is should be named after L is simply because he is the icon, he is the standout character. Why do you think he has the most favs? I'm not a fan of death note, and L but I'm right mate.

L? The 'icon'?
Well L is indeed among the most glorified character in existence here on MAL, I'll grant you that much. But I've never heard his name praised anywhere else to be honest.
Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of MALfags watched Death Note purely because of him, but the anime fanbase reaches further than MAL mate. It's simply that all the L fangirls happen to reside here.

The claim that everybody watched the series because of a character is ignorant in itself. Even if you're ultimately referring to the majority, it's still fallacious.

I love how you claimed, with absolutely no proof at all, that all the 'L fangirls' happen to reside here and then called someone else ignorant. Also, even people I know who dont like anime have liked L. I dont, I know people who dont, but you calling someone else ignorant after a post like that?

I lold, tbh.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 9, 2012 4:19 PM

Jul 2011
miereneronaile said:
I love how you claimed, with absolutely no proof at all, that all the 'L fangirls' happen to reside here and then called someone else ignorant. Also, even people I know who dont like anime have liked L. I dont, I know people who dont, but you calling someone else ignorant after a post like that?

I lold, tbh.

Rather than a claim, it was a mere statement suggesting that a lot of L 'fangirls' (as in overly opinionated people FYI) happen to be on this website.
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=4757

Now you're just twisting my words, the difference between my post and his posts is that I don't and do not plan to continuously try backing up my words with words alone; to the point of resorting to dogmatism. Once you see him represent any actual proof as one you were clearly expecting me to have, feel free to educate me.
Apr 9, 2012 4:24 PM
May 2010
Inconscient said:

It's simply that all the L fangirls happen to reside here.

Inconscient said:
Rather than a claim, it was a mere statement suggesting that a lot of L 'fangirls' (as in overly opinionated people FYI) happen to be on this website.
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=4757

This is a claim. It is quite clearly wrong. His not supplying any proof to back up his posts does not excuse you from failing to do so. Not that I particularly agree with him, or anything. I just think if your going to shoot him for ignorance you should avoid displaying it yourself.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 9, 2012 4:25 PM
Apr 2012
Whoever said Angel Beats was a stupid title is quite the comedian. I had a good laugh just now(:
Apr 9, 2012 4:26 PM

May 2010
Inconscient said:
Kazeshini said:

L? The 'icon'?

I'm aware of that, why don't we scout conventions and see how many L cosplayers we spot? yes the show in general is not about L, but the praise in terms of characters is L, in comparison to Light, L is more unique. sadly. People who don't watch anime have seen death note because of L.
Apr 9, 2012 4:37 PM

Jul 2011
Kazeshini said:
yes the show in general is not about L, but the praise in terms of characters is L, in comparison to Light, L is more unique. sadly. People who don't watch anime have seen death note because of L.

Fixed that for you. A lot of people who don't normally watch anime have seen DN, that is true. But nothing in particular indicates that it's solely because of L.
You're arguing on a too large scale, if it'd be something like "A lot of people who don't regularly watch anime but have seen Death Note did so because of L.", you would have a bit more point.

Yes, L is probably more popular than Light, that has nothing to do with this though.
datfagApr 9, 2012 4:55 PM
Apr 9, 2012 4:40 PM
May 2010
Death note spoilers

Worships Asparagus.
Apr 9, 2012 4:50 PM

Jul 2011
miereneronaile said:
This is a claim. It is quite clearly wrong. His not supplying any proof to back up his posts does not excuse you from failing to do so. Not that I particularly agree with him, or anything. I just think if your going to shoot him for ignorance you should avoid displaying it yourself.

That was purely meant it as a minor exaggeration.
Either way, that small amount of completely irrelevant ignorance you claim me to have displayed does not affect this argument in any way.
Sure I could had avoided that single sentence, or phrased it as "It's simply that most of the L fangirls happen to reside here.", but it would had made no difference.

miereneronaile said:
Death note spoilers

This is entirely subjective though, I did not give two fucks at that moment.
Apr 9, 2012 4:56 PM
May 2010
Inconscient said:
miereneronaile said:

That was purely meant it as a minor exaggeration.
Either way, that small amount of completely irrelevant ignorance you claim me to have displayed does not affect this argument in any way.
Sure I could had avoided that single sentence, or phrased it as "It's simply that most of the L fangirls happen to reside here.", but it would had made no difference.

miereneronaile said:
Death note spoilers

This is entirely subjective though, I did not give two fucks at that moment.

It made a difference because you were choosing to call someone ignorant at the same time. If you had left out calling him ignorant and said that it would have been a minor exaggeration. If you had called him ignorant and left out that you would have probably been right. Saying both of them at once is silly.

More death note spoilers
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 9, 2012 5:02 PM

Jul 2011
miereneronaile said:
It made a difference because you were choosing to call someone ignorant at the same time. If you had left out calling him ignorant and said that it would have been a minor exaggeration. If you had called him ignorant and left out that you would have probably been right. Saying both of them at once is silly.

Lol, and because of that I am wrong all of a sudden?
For all my time spent on the Internet, people have always managed to distinct my exaggerations from me being simply uneducated..

miereneronaile said:
More death note spoilers

Wait, what?
Apr 9, 2012 5:07 PM
May 2010
@Inconscient

Major death note spoilers, dont click unless you have finished it and such..

Your overall point isnt wrong, its just silly to call someone ignorant whilst displaying ignorance yourself. I actually agree with your point in your argument with him, lol.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 9, 2012 5:12 PM

Jan 2011
i don't now about you people, i watched death note for the death note, and cool apple eating scenes. i'm not a big fan of L, and i don't understand why a lot of people are.
Hide behind the mighty wall of internet, i shall
Apr 9, 2012 5:15 PM

Nov 2010
Bleach: I don't see any bleach or any cleaning stuffs to that matter.
Naruto: While not misleading but it just lame.
Dear Boys: Sounds like a gay pedo jailbait like Michael Jackson.
Apr 9, 2012 6:07 PM
Apr 2012
Quote for Quote (Thank you Yahoo A)

Tite Kubo himself ( the creator of bleach ) gave two reasons to calling it that. One was a symbolic reason. As the soulreapers cleanse souls, it's like they are "bleaching" their souls. Like how bleaching in a clothes sense means to remove stains and blemishes, the shinigami remove sin and corruption from the souls. The other reason he gave is because "Bleach" was the name of his favorite Nirvana (thats right, kurt kobain nirvana) album.
Apr 9, 2012 6:24 PM

Nov 2010
Tiago97 said:
Kazeshini said:
(...) even people who never watched anime before know of L, he's like the symbol for death note.

Good fucking balls. Seriously. How the fuck do you know everyone watched Death Note because of L? Is it because you did so? In case you haven't noticed, not everybody is the same. Not everybody reads the same shit on the internet. Not everybody researches an anime's characters before watching it.
You thought L was the best character of the show? Good for you. But that doesn't mean everyone watched DN because of him.

BTW, I always thought Light was the star of the show. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's the protagonist...

/rant

let me pour some salt on that wound by asking wich one was L again? xD i can't remember any of the chars (ok only watched 10 episodes but still) think i'm just wanting to forget ever gotten persuaded watching it xD

and still this topic is filled to the brim with clear titles if you would actualy watch the show (or like i said try to google it)

it's more like "why is it called lord of the ringSSSS it's about 1 ringGGGG" :D
Apr 9, 2012 7:38 PM

Jan 2011
kickthebucket said:
Tiago97 said:
Kazeshini said:
(...) even people who never watched anime before know of L, he's like the symbol for death note.

Good fucking balls. Seriously. How the fuck do you know everyone watched Death Note because of L? Is it because you did so? In case you haven't noticed, not everybody is the same. Not everybody reads the same shit on the internet. Not everybody researches an anime's characters before watching it.
You thought L was the best character of the show? Good for you. But that doesn't mean everyone watched DN because of him.

BTW, I always thought Light was the star of the show. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's the protagonist...

/rant

let me pour some salt on that wound by asking wich one was L again? xD i can't remember any of the chars (ok only watched 10 episodes but still) think i'm just wanting to forget ever gotten persuaded watching it xD

and still this topic is filled to the brim with clear titles if you would actualy watch the show (or like i said try to google it)

it's more like "why is it called lord of the ringSSSS it's about 1 ringGGGG" :D

^your total win

L was the dude constantly in the fetal position, eating candies,sugary things. He's the really emo dude that VERY easy to cosplay; hence the amount of cosplayers, not exactly his popularity (easier to get a plain white shirt, blue jeans and eyeliner than brown hair, and a school uniform that looks exactly like the one in DN.) He's with the police(-ish)trying to stop 'Kira' from continuing his (awesome) killing spree.

the respond to Tiago97 as well, even before i watched the anime i watched the movie, and before i watched the movie the symbol for Death note was an apple. i didn't know L before watching the movie. character i knew on order of discovery (pre-watching)
Dat apple->that dude with HUGE eyes->Misa->light Yagami->L
as you can see, he was the last person i actually found out about. also, i still think an apple is the symbol for deathnote.
Hide behind the mighty wall of internet, i shall
Apr 9, 2012 9:24 PM

May 2010
Inconscient said:
Fixed that for you. A lot of people who don't normally watch anime have seen DN, that is true. But nothing in particular indicates that it's solely because of L.
You're arguing on a too large scale, if it'd be something like "A lot of people who don't regularly watch anime but have seen Death Note did so because of L.", you would have a bit more point.

Yes, L is probably more popular than Light, that has nothing to do with this though.

Yeah not this, but what I was saying earlier does, until I was rudely interrupted. Like I said then, Death note Is not a bad name, but preferable "L's Tea-party" would be another suggestive title. I simply explained my reason for that title. that was all.

hellsascendant said:
i don't now about you people, i watched death note for the death note, and cool apple eating scenes. i'm not a big fan of L, and i don't understand why a lot of people are.

^ bingo! "i'm not a big fan of L, and i don't understand why a "lot" of people are"

thank you.
KazeshiniApr 9, 2012 9:31 PM
Apr 10, 2012 1:46 AM

Jun 2009
This is so dumb...
Apr 16, 2012 2:24 PM

Jan 2012
Well for me it would be the following titles:

-Skip Beat!: I think I thought it would be about dancing or something.

-Eden of the East: I thought it was going to be something about magical/mystical ancient times. You know, garden of Eden...

-Summer Wars: Loved this movie, loved the concept, I just wasn't expecting ...

-Princess Jellyfish: I litterally thought it was going to be about a Jellyfish princess (kind of like that anime Squid Girl).

I could mention other titles, but they are more nonsensical than misleading and most of them have been said already.
Apr 19, 2012 2:26 AM

Apr 2009
Seriously, some of the rantings I just read were about the literal sense of titles.

Please read between the lines (this is an idiom, don't take this literally too).
Apr 29, 2012 5:15 AM

Apr 2012
Tsuritama- (sarcastically) it's a show about fishing! Yay, I love to fish!!!

Recorder to Randoseru- an eleven year old that has an appearance of a man in his twenties. a girl who looks eleven years old but is actually seventeen. They are siblings.

Gundam AGE- they have the young kids piloting gundams.
And Zero said "Let there be rebellion for the power of the geass is hidden within all of you".
Apr 29, 2012 9:24 AM

Sep 2010
Rosaria9 said:

If the show is about fishing how is a title that can be be translated as "Fishing Ball"(Tsuri = Fishing, Tama=Ball) be misleading?

The show is about Gundams and the title has the word 'Gundam' in it, that's not misleading.
The "AGE" part is an acronym that doesn't mean "old age". I don't even know what Gundam series you seen where kids don't pilot the mechs.
Anime_NameApr 29, 2012 9:29 AM

Apr 29, 2012 10:01 AM

Oct 2009
xxxHolic is very very misleading
Apr 29, 2012 10:44 AM

Nov 2010
and still people come up with titles wich make perfect sense xD

grandy_UiD said:
This is so dumb...

^^
Apr 29, 2012 11:13 AM

May 2011
FauxAzn said:
Fruits Basket. Not a single basket of fruits. Disappointed.

Lol XD
''I was dead serious''

Apr 30, 2012 10:49 PM

Apr 2012
Anime_Name said:
Rosaria9 said:

If the show is about fishing how is a title that can be be translated as "Fishing Ball"(Tsuri = Fishing, Tama=Ball) be misleading?

The show is about Gundams and the title has the word 'Gundam' in it, that's not misleading.
The "AGE" part is an acronym that doesn't mean "old age". I don't even know what Gundam series you seen where kids don't pilot the mechs.

Its not the whole kid part that got me down. It's just when was the last time Gundam made a series for preteen boys?
Thank for telling about the show Tsuritama because I would have never thought. Of course it is in Japanese but that is no longer the point. Thanks anyway.
And Zero said "Let there be rebellion for the power of the geass is hidden within all of you".
Apr 30, 2012 11:19 PM

Sep 2010
Nothing about the title 'Gundam AGE' implied what the target demographic was. The reason you feel mislead is because the Gundam franchise doesn't have a lot of preteen shows to begin with. It could have been titled anything and you would have been just as mislead.

Being in Japanese is the point. You can't be mislead by a title unless you know what the title implies.

Apr 30, 2012 11:44 PM
Apr 2012
Boogiepop Phantom

Sounds like its a comedy about a dancing ghost or something.

NOPE... NOTHING BUT NIGHTMARES
May 1, 2012 3:27 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007

Wow just saw this actually and I'd answer to you RoCSC-006C1BST BUT these nice ppl did for me so I won't say much just who says ppl have to ASSUME things a certain ways? I ASSUMED thing like that and I thought that was the point? I don't need to explain to YOU how my mind works and tbh I could care less if you agree or not. And also, I didn't SEARCH for Steins;Gate. Ppl told me abt it thus I saw no cover, not how it was written or designed and ever thought that MAYBE I have a reason as to why I actually thought that? So please stop being such a close minded jerk<3 As for Angel Beats... I'm sry did the topic say "Please post only JUST unique anime and we don't care what you think?" I think not so this time, just stop being a jerk ^-^
Assumptions don't work in a one way logic >_> *rolls eyes*
Feb 11, 2016 5:18 AM

Aug 2015
Welcome to the 2016 version. Remembered about this thread because of the anime title thread.

I'm going to add Charlotte to the list. Seriously , what's up with naming the anime like that just because of a single comet which has ( almost ) no relation with the anime.

Death Note

Hearing the title , I thought it was going to be an anime about a suicide note >_<
Z-DanteFeb 11, 2016 5:21 AM
Feb 11, 2016 5:23 AM

Mar 2015
Z-Dante said:
Welcome to the 2016 version.

I'm going to add Charlotte to the list. Seriously , what's up with naming the anime like that just because of a single comet which has ( almost ) no relation with the anime.
again, charlotte, is the name of rocket that caused everything. also user that got invected by it (special power teeneger) also called charlotte.

as for most recnetly, it would be comet lucifer. even after ending, only the comet that make sanse.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 11, 2016 5:25 AM

Nov 2015
Ladiez and gentlemanz, I present to you the most misleading title of all time:

Mangirl
Feb 11, 2016 5:46 AM

Mar 2015
Sword art online. Was initially about sword art online but then became about children and their feelings.
私はサイタマ様が大好きです。私は彼の雌犬です!
Feb 11, 2016 5:51 AM

Jul 2013
Akame ga Kill. You think the anime will treat about Akame, but she is not even the main character of the story, and her presence in later arcs becomes small.
Feb 11, 2016 6:13 AM

Jul 2013
Illyricus said:
Akame ga Kill. You think the anime will treat about Akame, but she is not even the main character of the story, and her presence in later arcs becomes small.

Agreed. She's not even that relevant in the show but the title just had to spell their cover girl's name.
Feb 11, 2016 7:27 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: no monsters, and Haru is not actually sitting next to Shizuku for like most of the manga.
Full Metal Alchemist: Ed's only partially made of metal.
R.O.D (Read or Die) TV: Not actually about dying if you don't read.
God Eater: Not gods have yet been eaten as of ep 9.
Rail Wars!: No wars, just fanservice.
The Last: Naruto the movie: Not actually the last movie...
Wonderful Days: Those days actually kinda sucked.
Girlfriend (Kari): None of the girls in the show are actually dating anyone.
Hibike! Euphonium: No one cares about the euphonium. Reina steals the show with the trumpet.
BatoKusanagiFeb 11, 2016 7:30 AM
Feb 14, 2016 9:09 PM

Jun 2008
Z-Dante said:
Welcome to the 2016 version. Remembered about this thread because of the anime title thread.

Lol, I never saw Charlotte and saw it was about a girl named Charlotte.
BatoKusanagi said:

Girlfriend (Kari): None of the girls in the show are actually dating anyone.
O_O. I don't even.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

44 by DarkShame2 »»
4 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

65 by Pinoffin »»
10 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

29 by WatchTillTandava »»
16 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

33 by Tropisch »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 8 hours ago

11 by DarkShame2 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.