Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 3, 2014 3:54 AM

Jan 2014
My God that girl again.. she sincerely annoys me, I hope that she will not drag Satou to another crazy shit like that offline thing

But the departure of Yamazaki was so sad.. I'll miss him
Aug 4, 2014 4:26 AM

Aug 2013
Yamazaki....... m[TAT]m
Oh damn.. Hitomi senpai always make an appearance at the worst possible timing.
What's going to happen to Satou this time ? :b
Aug 21, 2014 11:40 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Slight improvement with Sato, as in clean apartment, and he gets to keep Puririn.

Still Yamazaki left in bad terms with Nanako which she seemed to like him.

Sep 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Oct 2013
in a strange way I'm kind of happy that crazy Yamazaki left he jsut filled his head up with weird shit but it was still his friend
I wonder how this little scenario is going to play out at the end >.>
[/quote]
Dec 31, 2014 6:37 AM

Jul 2014
Sad to see Yamazaki go :'(
Jan 4, 2015 9:08 PM

Dec 2013
Feels somewhat empty without Yamazaki
Jan 12, 2015 11:21 PM

Oct 2013
"A drama has a progressive plot, an emotional climax, and a resolution. But our lives aren't like that. All we get day after day are a bunch of vague anxieties that are never really resolved."

It was almost painful how accurate this quote is. I feel like it sums up NHK as well. Just one vague anxiety after another with this series...

The most tragic part is that, due to the nature of the show, I know Yamazaki isn't coming back. At least Satou realized how good of a friend he lost. ;-;

man it's hard to believe this is the same show that had me dying of laughter in the early episodes.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 14, 2015 7:17 AM

Jan 2014
YAMAZAAAAKIIIIIIIIIIII ;-; LOL. I think their game seems kinda interesting, though O_O
Mar 29, 2015 11:15 AM

Apr 2013
I'm sorry I must've accidentally sit on the remote and ass-switched to the Clannad TV.

WTF is this? I didn't sign up for this! You have no right to make me sad so much. :(

Seriously WTF. This isn't something to do just a few before a show's end. You heartless mean people. :(

I mean really... we even got the Universe thing... you know... the thing I wanna see in every frickin' fiction. WTF man. :( NHK is real. Depressing us to death to stay at home.
Open to chat about any storytelling related subject as long as it's clever and respectful.
Myanimelist
Apr 4, 2015 6:02 PM

Jul 2009
Awww what?! Yamazaki went back home?! Noooo T_T That was sad ... not to mention they didn't end up selling many copies of their game either after all that hard work :( (Speaking of which, most of the credits were Yamazaki's name ... Satou only appeared under one category lol XD)
So Satou thinks he's God ... too bad he couldn't use his powers to make Yamazaki come back :( I want to have the instrumental version of that song that was playing at the time ... I think they only released the version with singing though D:
So in the end the "exam" is to go out in a crowd during New Year's ... tough. Except SENPAI REAPPEARS?!??! I remember really liking her even though I forgot her name. Dang, she wants to have an affair? Satou sure is lucky huh XD
Jul 7, 2015 10:41 PM

Dec 2013
Yamazaki! ;_;
Jul 14, 2015 12:39 PM

May 2014
Zadion said:
"A drama has a progressive plot, an emotional climax, and a resolution. But our lives aren't like that. All we get day after day are a bunch of vague anxieties that are never really resolved."

It was almost painful how accurate this quote is.

I agree, that quote was perfect. This was such a melancholic episode, I miss Yamizaki already :'(
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Jul 22, 2015 9:34 AM

Apr 2013
I saw a nipple in the preview for the next episode! Not that this would make me to up my ratings or something xD
Nov 21, 2015 4:48 AM

Dec 2013
Gonna miss Yamazaki

Satou really needs Misaki or he'll go even crazier!
Dec 19, 2015 6:12 AM

Oct 2015
Really sad episode, Yamazaki is such a great character (the only one of the main cast with any guts) and to see him change his life path in such a major way was heart-breaking. He handled it like a boss though.
Dec 20, 2015 5:36 PM

Oct 2012
Hands down one of the best episodes. Yamazaki and Satou formed a great friendship while making the game so it was sad to see it completely fail even though it was fully expected. Though I guess the success of the game wasn't what truly mattered in the end.

Anyway, it was sad to see Yamazaki go and Satou's crushing realization that without Yamazaki he's pretty much back to where he started in terms of his hikikomori condition. Well, he still has Misaki, who still hasn't gotten much focus at all yet and now Senpai again.
Jan 19, 2016 8:28 AM
Master

Sep 2012
aww man QWQ that Episode was saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad...
i really like Yamazaki q3q i want him back T^T
hnng TT____TT'' Yamazaki.....
Mar 12, 2016 6:18 AM

Aug 2014
Yamazaki the funny character, Goodbye.
Great Episode.
May 1, 2016 12:59 PM

Jul 2015
Sad for Yamazaki.

So he meet his senpai again, i'm sure Misaki will see them together and be sad
Jul 13, 2016 6:12 PM
Aug 2014
Pretty sure Yamazaki will come back when there will come everything alright in the end.
I would be pretty sad if he wouldnt, he shouldnt live his life a way he doesnt want to
Aug 20, 2016 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
Phenomanan said:
Zadion said:

It was almost painful how accurate this quote is.

I agree, that quote was perfect. This was such a melancholic episode, I miss Yamizaki already :'(

Yamazaki knows his way with words, that quote is so true :/

Missing Yamazaki aswell, Satou already realised that his presence was a huge factor in him being able to do stuff a normal hiki wouldnt.
Sep 11, 2016 1:46 PM

Sep 2013
Poor Yamazaki!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 10, 2016 7:32 PM

May 2015
pretty sad.

and also, ayy it's bitch-chan at the end. why's she there .-.
Nov 13, 2016 11:16 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Sad to see Yamazaki go. He was definitely a factor that made this show good.
Nov 29, 2016 9:48 AM

Mar 2013
I'm... really heartbroken by this episode ;_;

It was really sad to see Yamazaki go like that. I wonder what'll Sato do from now on.

Also, that preview - Wot senpai? Come again? Really after all this shit?

Zadion said:

Those words... really are quote worthy :(
Jan 10, 2017 3:07 PM

Jun 2013
This episode didn't do much for me, as I wasn't attached to Yamazaki. I would have found the insert song and the montage cheesy anyway, but since it was about Yamazaki, it was even more awkward for me.

Mikiyo said:
Still with the mystery of Misaki-chan, she quite clearly is inlove with Satou, yet he lets her do whatever she wants without even know a bit of her past, twenty one mother fucking episodes and we don't even know why she likes him, even knowing the fact that she called him trash and a scumbag.

I share these concerns. Maybe that's the whole point though, that she has no life and she's just a satellite character for Satou and a deconstructed example of that. Which would be disappointing for sure, but I don't know what to think at this point.

This series invested so much time into characters I didn't care about, and the ones I did like delivered only lackluster arcs (Kashiwa and Misaki). And Satou is, well, Satou. He's kind of a necessary nuisance, I guess, because without him, there's no show.
Feb 20, 2017 12:15 AM

Jan 2014
Not gonna lie, I started tearing up when Satou starting trying to "summon" Yamazaki back. It was so hard seeing him lose his best friend like that. Normally I would be a little skeptical of the "sad song flashback montage", but it really feels earned here, considering how Yamazaki was literally Satou's only friend.

I also loved the brief goodbye between Yamazaki and Misaki. It was nice seeing them slowly get used to each other over time, and I really like that sense of mutual respect they had in the end.

This is probably one of my favorite episodes of the show. I can't wait to see how the series wraps up from here.
zacrathedemon5Feb 20, 2017 12:21 AM
Apr 2, 2017 4:24 PM

Feb 2013
Yamazaki is gone.
Sato got separated from Misaki and senpai found him.
Apr 17, 2017 12:24 AM

Feb 2016
This episode sent a shiver down my spine. I can't quite explain it but it felt like a deeply resonant humming of melancholy reverberated deep within my consciousness throughout the episode.

The comparison when Sato spent a year kicking the apartment wall because of the annoying moe pop to being tormented to a night of silence left me hollow inside.

All remnants of Yamazaki removed except a fake purupurin doll slouched against the wall and the television playing idle background banter.

"A drama has logical progression, outbursts of emotion and a resolution. Our everyday lives are just filled with nebulous and vague anxieties forever and ever."

Cloud_IllusionsApr 17, 2017 12:27 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Apr 28, 2017 11:32 AM

Jun 2016
ShinpachiYamazaki come back!! ;_; This was definitely the most serious attack of feels I've had in this show so far.
May 11, 2017 2:55 AM
Jan 2017
I am sad because only 3 episodes are left of this wonderful show.I guess good things always come to an end.
May 11, 2017 3:07 AM
Jan 2017
A tearjerker series has to be like this and not like your lie in april which felt like melodrama slapped on your face.
May 30, 2017 3:44 PM

Dec 2015
Goodbye Yamazaki! I hope he comes back somehow...

I didn't expect to see his senpai again...that bitch...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 13, 2017 9:27 PM

May 2013
Aw ;A; so sad to see Yamazaki give away his stuff like that :(((

Both him and Misaki (she's grown on me) are Satou's biggest support pillars >< now it's uneven :(
Jun 15, 2017 7:02 AM

Jan 2010
nooooo, yamazakiiiii :(
maybe we'll finally see some progressing between sato and misaki now

but senpai showed up one again at the end of the episode...lol

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 25, 2017 2:20 PM

Feb 2015
It's sad to see Yamazaki leave, but this was a very good episode. You really felt Sato's loss of order and his conspiracies getting out of control. And now senpai is here again. It is still sad that Sato just doesn't appreciate Misaki's company at all, thinking he should just leave without her.
Aug 14, 2017 11:02 PM

Mar 2015
Aww Yamazaki actually left...

Nov 14, 2017 8:20 AM

Apr 2015
"Look, Yamazaki, it's our names! Our names are in the credits!"
"Of course they are. We're the ones who made it."

Yamazaki has the exact same immediate thought to Sato that I did.

And then they only sold five copies. Reminds me a bit of how Comic Party started; slow sales until word got around. Then again, NHK isn't nearly as optimistic a show as Comic Party.

All the warning signs of a suicide attempt are showing up for Yamazaki: not only cutting off/destroying his relationship, giving away his possessions...why couldn't he take some of the things with him? I'm worried about him. He's definitely not going to be happy at the ranch.

That fun snowball fight went all wrong.

Wasn't it implied Sato took psychedelics in the original novel? That context makes the hallucination scenes make a lot more sense. The anime just tries to play it off as "he's crazy and delusional because he's a hikikomori", but I don't think the majority of hikikomori have delusions to this extent.

"Sato needs me! I'm the only person he has left." Uh oh. I have a feeling that if Misaki catches Sato talking to his senpai, she's going to feel worthless...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 2, 2017 8:29 AM
May 2014
feeling like crying...

yamazaki gone. this feeling of emptiness makes me realised how much weight he has in this show; it's like a major part has been torn off.

already missing him
Aug 22, 2018 4:59 PM

Aug 2007
I think people leaving your life that had a lot of meaning helps you grow as a person. Even if it's really heartbreaking at the time, Yamazaki was a great friend for Satou, and he'll have a lot of good memories with him!

Sep 12, 2018 9:05 AM

Mar 2017
Man, Yamazaki may have been not very likeable as a real person, but it was really sad to see him leave. His story is too relatable... I really would have loved to see his gal game take off, but at the same time the realistic outcome was to be expected and works better for the story. I liked the vibes of this and the last episode, but towards the end it seems to drift off into sappy / stupid territory again with Misaki. I hope they don't fuck this up.
Oct 21, 2018 5:50 PM

Sep 2018
it's so sad when Yamazaki leave the Mita House and leave Satou behind.. so sad to separate to your friends !! i cried when their memory together flashback on Satou's mind T-T ( i love Yamazaki!!)
Nov 12, 2018 1:32 PM

May 2010
I'm probably the only one, but I didn't feel much while watching this episode :<
Apr 22, 2019 7:42 AM

Feb 2019
Really sad episode.

Personally for me the saddest part was the scene where Yamazaki was in the train and Nanako was at an audition. Just like that, no resolution except what happened in the last episode. Wish Yamazaki didn't have to go home and abandon everything he's worked so hard for, and wish things with Nanako didn't end that way.

It was also sad to see Satou's life after he left. Misaki's really growing and growing on me further, but I'm still frustrated that we don't know anything about her. It's like 3 episodes left and we don't know much about her still. I hope we'll learn A LOT about her in the next few episodes.

Also, Kashiwa-senpai again?! Really interesting.
May 17, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2011
I feel empty watching the second half of this episode. :'(
May 21, 2019 4:24 AM
Jul 2013
Zadion said:

It was almost painful how accurate this quote is. I feel like it sums up NHK as well. Just one vague anxiety after another with this series...

The most tragic part is that, due to the nature of the show, I know Yamazaki isn't coming back. At least Satou realized how good of a friend he lost. ;-;

man it's hard to believe this is the same show that had me dying of laughter in the early episodes.

^THIS.
also
<screams in Satou>YAMAZAKI!!!
Feb 4, 2020 12:21 PM

Mar 2016
5 crappy games sold, 5 probably dissatisfied customers and 5 goodbyes for Yamazaki...
Yamazaki has always been a great character to have around, both for the audience and for Sato, the otaku/game developer/hot-headed kouhai. I can understand how much Sato felt alone when Yamazaki left, taking all the busy and noisy activities Sato used to do along with Yamazaki.

What hurts is that Yamazaki is fully aware that he returned home because he is defeated, his hard work along with Sato's are only good for the memories they've created together in this short year. The look and the silent response Yamazaki did before he fades into the distance said it all...

Misaki is thinking that Sato only has herself to rely on now? I DISAGREE!

Feb 8, 2020 3:56 AM

Dec 2018
Yamazaki's passion to do what he wants in life struck a chord in me that I desperately needed. Yamazaki will always remember his life in Mita house. The game might have been a failure but not for Yamazaki, it's the culmination of his true self and his memories.

Tears were shed, Yamazaki you will never be forgotten.
Mar 23, 2020 1:20 PM

Oct 2013
I kinda expected that their game's sales might not be spectacular or something, but Damn... Yamazaki really left. ;_; Sad episode, I'm gonna miss him. He was my favorite character in this anime.

That preview of the next episode, though... How come Satou and Hitomi bump into each other so often, so casually and in random places? ;D World is surely small, haha.
Mar 28, 2021 11:21 PM

Mar 2020
This episode pretty much confirmed what I had suspected this show to be about, which is an interpretation I'm surprised not too many people have latched onto.

The entire point of Sato's character is that he hasn't matured past high school and goes from coping mechanism to coping mechanism in order to avoid having to face reality. One of the more destructive fantasies he has is about reuniting with his peers from high school, since they're the only people he's ever known. He daydreams about going out in public and meeting in cafes and restaurants, yet when he does it on his own, he panics. The god revelation he had in this episode was just his neurotic way of coming to terms with the fact that the people he once knew aren't coming back. That's why he suddenly felt lonely once Yamazaki left. He was alone the whole time - he had just convinced himself that he wasn't.

I'm mostly speaking from experience here since I consider my high school life (and now adult life) to be a lot like Sato's. I could be wrong, but different interpretations are what make media interesting.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarkBlue - Feb 7, 2008

113 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 4, 2008

114 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 3:08 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Juliab - Mar 7, 2008

164 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Aug 20, 2008

123 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:23 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkBlue - Feb 6, 2008

215 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.