Forum Settings
Forums

Do you constantly update/change your ratings on MAL?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 6, 2012 2:58 PM

Dec 2011
I'm always changing it, especially the tags. OCD, man. I can't leave it still for too long, it just annoys me.
Mar 6, 2012 3:01 PM
Mar 2011
no i udtaed once per six to eight weeks and just to say my manga ist is only just fully updated for as of the day i joied tohe site

the sum up i do not update often
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 6, 2012 3:08 PM

Oct 2011
nope, since my only criterium is fact if I enjoyed series or not there is no need to change rankings of other series plus I can mark it on the spot
there are some changes if I rewatch series, basically all of my 10's come from this - seeing them more than once can lead to change like Sketchbook from 7 to 10

and other factor is I'm to lazy to change other rankings because it could lead to changing other and even more
Mar 6, 2012 3:11 PM

Jun 2011
Yeah, I do it from time to time xD
But the differences usually aren't big xD
Mar 6, 2012 3:20 PM

Aug 2010
Yes
Mar 6, 2012 3:22 PM

May 2010
Very rarely...
Mar 6, 2012 3:22 PM

Dec 2010
Dalek-baka said:
nope, since my only criterium is fact if I enjoyed series or not there is no need to change rankings of other series plus I can mark it on the spot
there are some changes if I rewatch series, basically all of my 10's come from this - seeing them more than once can lead to change like Sketchbook from 7 to 10

and other factor is I'm to lazy to change other rankings because it could lead to changing other and even more

So there is one :O
Mar 6, 2012 3:36 PM

Oct 2011
Legendre said:

One of… ? :D
But to expand: When I started doing list I was quite serious about marks but that phase passed plus I have lots of work stuff to bother with going through and thinking about it.
Now I use it mainly for marking how many episodes or series I've seen. I would abandon giving any points but it would look weird on list :P so I just go for fact if I liked it or not.
Mar 6, 2012 3:43 PM
Jul 2011
I change my ratings of shows as I go. It helps me keep track of how much I've liked a show or not. I generally don't lower/increase the score by more than 2 anyway. Its just I don't want to overrate a show because it had a good ending but a shit middle or underrate for a bad end and a great middle so changing it as I go helps me keep up.
Mar 6, 2012 3:46 PM

Dec 2010
Dalek-baka said:
Legendre said:

One of… ? :D
But to expand: When I started doing list I was quite serious about marks but that phase passed plus I have lots of work stuff to bother with going through and thinking about it.
Now I use it mainly for marking how many episodes or series I've seen. I would abandon giving any points but it would look weird on list :P so I just go for fact if I liked it or not.

Someone who ranks purely off enjoyment and therefor doesn't change the rating they gave initially unless they re-watch the show :3
Mar 6, 2012 3:47 PM

Apr 2011
Sometimes my ratings change after giving it some thought, especially if I had seen the anime recently and my score was a little high because of that. Usually not. For example, shows like Steins, Toradora, TTGL, and FMA Brotherhood will always be a 10 for me. It's my list, so I can be as subjective as I choose.
Mar 6, 2012 3:48 PM

Nov 2011
I change my ratings every now and then, but only when I realize that it was either not so good, or not that bad. Sometimes I just figure I should push some animes back when comparing to others that I've given the same rating, because they're "not really on the same level".
「レミ咲が今日のティータイム。」- RemiSaku ga kyou no tea time!
Mar 6, 2012 3:54 PM

Dec 2010
@recheebts: Yep yep, I wasn't suggesting one way was better than the other. Just wanted everyone's opinions :D

@Morbyllan: You're on the same page as me.
Mar 6, 2012 4:06 PM

Sep 2011
This happened to be before but I'm finally satisfied with my ratings so not anymore.
Mar 6, 2012 4:10 PM

Jun 2011
im constantly going through and making sure i still feel the same way about certain anime... after rewatching lovely complex i bumped up the rating, some things get bumped down when i notice a few slightly better anime with the same number as it
Mar 6, 2012 4:11 PM

Jun 2011
Morbyllan said:
I change my ratings every now and then, but only when I realize that it was either not so good, or not that bad. Sometimes I just figure I should push some animes back when comparing to others that I've given the same rating, because they're "not really on the same level".

jst realised i said this lol
Mar 6, 2012 4:16 PM

Aug 2009
I update my list usually a day or two after watching something.If I take a break from watching a series and decided to watch another it helps me to remember where I left off on that series I took a break from.
Mar 6, 2012 4:50 PM

Sep 2011
I only rate shows when I am done watching that particular season, unless it's one of those endless shows.
I've only gone back and re-scored a couple of things once, and that was because I decided to change my score values by a little. I know almost for a fact that if I were to go re-score them, a lot of them would probably be changed. Because of that, I prefer to keep it as the "knee-jerk" reaction score rather than the score I would give based on a reaction tempered by time. If I keep them all like that, then the overall integrity is still not compromised in my eyes.
(But then again, I don't really put much importance in my scores anyways, so it doesn't matter too much. I rate solely based upon enjoyment, so I don't care about "legitimate" scores or whatever.)

As for updating my show progress, I do it immediately after I finish an episode or read a chapter. And usually leave some random thoughts I have about the episode in the comments on my list.
JasperKazaiMar 6, 2012 7:56 PM
Mar 6, 2012 5:14 PM

Mar 2011
Yeah, all the time until I'm satisfied with how that particular anime rated. I use my rating criterion whenever possible and I follow it strictly with a few exceptions. Usually when I revisit my list though, it's to bump down a few scores or award a 9 with a 10, since I never give out tens on a first watch.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Mar 6, 2012 5:43 PM

Jan 2010
I go through my completed list once every few months to see which anime I can still remember. Whether or not I still remember what I originally thought about them, or if I can even remember what happened, will make me lower the score or raise it a little. Never goes lower than a 5 though, unless for some reason I only remember the things I disliked.
Mar 6, 2012 6:34 PM

Feb 2010
Angel_Beats said:
i update them once every couple months or so when i feel like a series didn't deserve whatever score i gave it.

This.
Mar 6, 2012 6:42 PM

Dec 2010
toybox said:
Yeah, all the time until I'm satisfied with how that particular anime rated. I use my rating criterion whenever possible and I follow it strictly with a few exceptions. Usually when I revisit my list though, it's to bump down a few scores or award a 9 with a 10, since I never give out tens on a first watch.

That's probably a good system as well. The problem for me though would be that I don't rewatch series very often at all, so it would be harder for me to do something like that.

The problem though is that if you revisit an anime rating you made, say, a month ago, there is a pretty high chance you have forgotten certain specific aspects of that anime that made you give it that rating. The longer you wait to rate an anime, the less of an "enjoyment" factor there will be in your rating. Not all the time, but some times. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Mar 6, 2012 6:47 PM

Aug 2010
Yes, when I started watching anime I rated pretty much anything that I've seen highly (I still rate pretty high...not as much as before though). So every now and then when I look at my list I sometimes change the ratings (now that I've seen more anime that I can compare them with).
Mar 6, 2012 6:52 PM

Nov 2011
Angel_Beats said:
i update them once every couple months or so when i feel like a series didn't deserve whatever score i gave it.

^Yup..and it's usually lower than what I originally gave it. As others have said, it's after the hype pipes down that I really start analyzing it.
Mar 6, 2012 7:09 PM

Jul 2011
yeah probably once or twice a week, usually rank them when ive finished watching the season

main reason most people go on mal is cause of the list update function.

i believe theres also an add on which updates automatically whenever you watch an anime

hey hey, do you have smoked cheeze?
Nyoro~n
Mar 6, 2012 7:11 PM

Dec 2010
mrcheeze said:
yeah probably once or twice a week, usually rank them when ive finished watching the season

main reason most people go on mal is cause of the list update function.

i believe theres also an add on which updates automatically whenever you watch an anime

I wasn't necessarily talking about updating anime as you watch, but more about changing ratings later down the road after you have already finished them.
Mar 6, 2012 7:29 PM

Jun 2010
I rate my anime mostly on my enjoyment factor. If I liked it, I liked it. So I usually don't change ratings.
Mar 6, 2012 7:30 PM

Jun 2009
No. It's much easier to do it at the end. Sometimes I do change it when I get bored.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Mar 6, 2012 7:41 PM

Oct 2011
I sometimes change it, because most of my ratings were done as a newbie anime fanboy. I still can't believe I gave angel beats a 9... when I honestly think it's a 6 now.
Mar 6, 2012 7:44 PM

Feb 2012
Legendre said:
As an example, I used to have Trigun as a 10, but the more anime that I watched, the more I realized that it didn't deserve a 10 (in my opinion) due to a few minor flaws.

This resonates with me. I'm relatively new to anime, so I'm constantly shifting my opinions on those anime I have watched.
Mar 6, 2012 8:05 PM
Mar 2009
After 3 years with an account here, I just now started to add things. Hard to say if I will keep at trying to make a list that actually accounts for what I have and have seen, or if I give up in frustration t the futility of remembering everything from decades of being an anime dork.
Mar 6, 2012 8:58 PM

Dec 2010
djmasturbeat said:
After 3 years with an account here, I just now started to add things. Hard to say if I will keep at trying to make a list that actually accounts for what I have and have seen, or if I give up in frustration t the futility of remembering everything from decades of being an anime dork.

Well even if you can't remember everything you have watched, I would at least try to keep up with adding anime that you are currently watching and adding anime right after you finish the series. Otherwise you are going to keep running in the same problem of forgetting what anime you have and haven't watched. That's the primary reason to have a list in the first place right? :3
Mar 6, 2012 9:00 PM

Oct 2008
I don't ever change a rating(never really thought to), unless it is a dropped series that I am giving another chance.

I also very rarely rate a series before completion.
Mar 6, 2012 10:29 PM

Aug 2010
I do often drop ratings for anime. I used to have a mean score of 8.3 now it's 7.2.
Mar 6, 2012 10:29 PM

Mar 2009
I rarely do that. If I ever do, I only make a few changes.
Mar 6, 2012 10:36 PM

Feb 2011
I usually give my list a quick run-through every two weeks or so. My opinion changes as time goes on. Something I gave a 7 might deserve a 6 or a 5 instead, since I was rating it in the heat of the moment. I believe I should rate anime in terms of how good it was in the long-term and how it impacted me or stayed with me as time goes on. A good anime would leave a lasting impression, that's what I believe.
Mar 6, 2012 10:38 PM

Oct 2011
Morbyllan said:

This. Exactly what I do.
I see dead people.
Mar 6, 2012 10:52 PM

Mar 2007
This might seem obsessive, but I feel like I always gotta do something on my list. Everyday I have to update something. It drives me crazy if I don't. I'll either drop stuff(or put them on hold), or go through my Completed list and change scores. And I don't change just 1 or 2. I change like 10 or more. @_@

I drop a lot of stuff and give more lower scores than higher ones. I like to make room for a newer series that I'm currently enjoying that I feel deserves that high score more.

SSJBeastmode said:
I sometimes change it, because most of my ratings were done as a newbie anime fanboy. I still can't believe I gave angel beats a 9... when I honestly think it's a 6 now.

I did that with Ouran HS Host Club. Gave it a 9 cuz I was such a Tamaki fangirl. Now it's a 4. *lol* The hype had something to do with it.
Mar 6, 2012 11:09 PM

Mar 2011
I see a lot of people are changing their score for the sake of having... a lower score. That's not really how it should be done. As I watch more anime my perspective of quality changes, Rome was not built in one day, but there's no need to uproot the thing lol and give something you used to loved a really bad grade. I think the greatest change I made was going from a 10~4 scale (because I refused to give out low scores for some reason) to using the entire grading scale which is generally a lot more helpful imo.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Mar 6, 2012 11:23 PM

Nov 2011
Ardamaeus said:
I usually give my list a quick run-through every two weeks or so. My opinion changes as time goes on. Something I gave a 7 might deserve a 6 or a 5 instead, since I was rating it in the heat of the moment. I believe I should rate anime in terms of how good it was in the long-term and how it impacted me or stayed with me as time goes on. A good anime would leave a lasting impression, that's what I believe.

Well said.
I don't speak for everyone, but generally, most people rate a show immediately after finishing the last episode, with the impact of the ending fresh in their minds. A rating should should consider the scope of the entire series, not just the last episode; and the only way to do that is to re-evaluate the rating after the "fan boy" or denial phase has passed.
Mar 6, 2012 11:34 PM

Nov 2010
i use the MAL updater so i don't have to haha :)
Mar 7, 2012 12:00 AM

Aug 2011
kickthebucket said:

Y U NO READ POST #1?

I am disappoint.
Mar 7, 2012 12:14 AM
Sep 2011
I go around changing rating once in a while. Sometimes I feel like I don't have the heart to low-rate something I neither hated nor really cared for.

When I first joined I added literally every anime I had seen, including ones that I only saw a random episode on TV. Since I had no interest in looking those shows up again, they went into the dropped list. People complained. A lot.

So now I only list things that I've properly watched.
Mar 7, 2012 12:23 AM

Dec 2010
Tiago97 said:
kickthebucket said:

Y U NO READ POST #1?

I am disappoint.

U STOLE MY LINE
Mar 7, 2012 1:03 AM
Apr 2010
I always mess around with my ratings especially while doing one of those "Comment on the list above you" things, they really get you thinking about your ratings. Normally the first rating I give a show is just how much I enjoyed it, over time I'll mess around and actually think about whether I really liked the show plus compare it to shows on the same rating level. I leave stuff my top tier stuff alone though, 10s stay 10s. As for the sub/obj thing, my ratings will always be heavily subjective. I just can't put away the personal feelings/tastes when rating.
Mar 7, 2012 1:04 AM

Feb 2012
I don't change my scores that much but when I do it's either a 1 number difference and I also just change it when I am watching a show.
Mar 7, 2012 1:08 AM

Sep 2011
I update my scores a lot, since my ratings are based on what I've already seen.
Mar 7, 2012 1:49 AM

Jan 2012
Yeah, I'm somewhat obsessive with my scoring and being organized. I feel like the more I watch, the better idea I will have of "what's hot" and "what's not." To me, having more anime completed gives you a better foundation and basis to rate series on.
Mar 7, 2012 1:56 AM

Aug 2011
Not really... I am sometimes too lazy to update even though I watched or read an Anime/Manga. But I will when I am in the mood :)
Also, I never changed any ratings.
Mar 7, 2012 2:09 AM

Jul 2011
I usually rate anime when I finish watching it although there are some exceptions. Sometimes I do change ratings, especially when I scroll down my list and look at the bigger picture, considering how the show compares with others.

I am totally subjective, thank you very much and tend to give higher score when there is some character I like very much or seems close to me in some aspect. Although i try to consider different things like plot complexity, character development, music, graphics and so on the biggest factor seems to be enjoyment, which tends to become blunter over the edges as time passes.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

32 by Zimmu »»
48 seconds ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

63 by Tulleha »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

25 by maya2003s »»
11 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

32 by alshu »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.