MyAnimeList.net

Manga Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Eiichiro Oda and meeting fans
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Manga Discussion »» Series Discussion »» One Piece »» Eiichiro Oda and meeting fans

02-26-12, 5:32 PM

I've always been an avid collector of original drawings / signatures by famous authors. Living in Italy, I have as much as 3 huge conventions every year I can check in order to get some rare sketches by authors from around the globe (I'm not joking: the local manga and american comics' publishers literally race to invite the most famous people they can get their hands on).
I have become accustomed to meeting some high-level authors, such us Taniguchi, Lloyd, Nightow, etc, but I've never seen some of those "legendary" authors around.
I'm always avidly monitoring the other States' conventions (and I still try to stab myself when I remember I skipped Leiji Matsumoto in France by mistake), and I've never seen someone on the level of Kubo, Oda or Toriyama hanging around.

My question is: do these sacred beasts ever leave their home? Or, on the other hand, do they at least go to conventions in Japan? I'm inclined to think the answer is no, since the uber rare original sketches of Toriyama are as rare (and valuable) as one of Van Gogh's paintings, but I must admit I don't even know how to search for such informations.

I've written this thread here because a few years ago they announced that Oda would have been to one of our conventions (I fainted), just to correct themselves a few days later (they meant One Piece's anime director). I'm a huge fan of OP and I'd literally die to have one day a chance of getting its signature on one of my volumes.

02-27-12, 1:06 PM

yes they go, and the first manga sell by oda where in a convention by him.

also there are other works of oda, apart of one piece, and rummors about some doujins.

02-29-12, 12:52 PM

kamigawa said:

My question is: do these sacred beasts ever leave their home? Or, on the other hand, do they at least go to conventions in Japan?

Oda is a shy person. He doesn't like attention very much. He doesn't give TV interviews. But once a year he is on the One Piece stage during Jump Festa.
If you want to learn more about Jump Festa, what happens, what it is then listen to this Podcast:
http://onepiecepodcast.com/blog/2011/12/26/episode-199-celebration/

By the way. The chance for him to go to a convention outside of Japan are near 0.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices