Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2008 2:29 PM
Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Some scenes of this movie seem taken out of the best classics of science-fiction, and some others are not very well directed or written (beware of plot holes !). Good movie overall but very inconsistent in my opinion, it could have been a true masterpiece if not for all these small mistakes. Nevertheless, it's one of the hidden gems of japanese animation in the 80's and totally worth watching since it's much more interesting (the animation/design are both absolutely fantastic) that most movies released at the time except for Miyazaki movies of course.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 22, 2009 2:45 AM

Mar 2009
Reminded me of They Were 11; tired scifi plot devices(and holes), but good fun if you need something to goof off with that's fast-paced enough to hold your interest. The animation was indeed fantastic, and I'm used to 80's music in anime by now, so besides being above average, the score was great for imitating the sound effects in time with the music.
The historical angle was cool. Never before did I know why so many people give more than two shits about the ancient wars of Japan(they didn't look any more exciting than other ancient wars), but now I'm actually interested in Oda Nobunaga. Overall, pretty nice for something I confused with Time Etranger.
Feb 6, 2015 2:38 PM
Dec 2009
Time Strangers sung by Laura Branigan led me to this movie... Time Strangers and Teko's Theme are really 2 good songs by Mariya Takeuchi. I remember downloading this movie back in 2010, it was long ago hehe... but I finally got around to watch it

The first half is so boring and confusing, but the second gets interesting, Jiro's story changed the way I see the movie, the last nuclear war and how the people in the future try to hide the past. Also the Time Patrols made it more interesting.
wdlkmpxFeb 6, 2015 2:43 PM
Jul 14, 2016 10:25 AM

Oct 2012
That rugby kid was really a useless character. Funny how the main chick was literally falling in love with every other man throughout history except him. Even though the original setup looked like it would be a love story between them. Animation was really nice though. Also, poor Ranmaru. He just straight up disappears at the end.
So is it just Ranmaru who slips through time and ends up in WWII? Or is he dead or what? I have no idea.
This movie is pretty decent, there's just too many unanswered questions, and loose ends. Sasuga time travel plots.
yotsuoJul 14, 2016 10:30 AM
Jun 8, 2017 2:58 AM

Dec 2015
A bit light on the story department thanks to its chaotic course and nothing special. Did they try to compress three novels into an 80mn movie? Still a nice occasion to be told Nobunaga's end again (though the Ranmaru in love seemed strange).
Well animated and pretty drawings to go with Hagio's designs (at least, it looks like Hagio's).

Enjoyment: 4/5 (bonus for the classical but still good future time background)

Score: 6/10 Onward to a more recent movie adapted from the same author!
Rei_IIIJun 8, 2017 3:11 AM
Jul 26, 2019 8:28 PM

Dec 2015
pretty meh and a clumsy ending...
Aug 10, 2019 6:26 AM

Sep 2012
That felt like a movie they would have shown in history class in high school, then you decide to rewatch it years later and realize it's not as great as you remember.
Jul 25, 2020 12:03 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah the plot felt all over the place, it changed way too many times. I still liked it but no real resoultion or point to it, 6/10
Jul 23, 2022 3:51 PM

Aug 2017
Damn that opening scene by Yasuomi Umetsu was awesome. The plot left me kinda disappointed even though it might have been fairly novel for the time (how old are the time travel stuck-in-the-past plots?). I liked the twist in the end about trying to change history to avoid nuclear war, the Terminator guy had some depth to him after all. Although his fixation on Nobunaga was bizarre.

Hagio's designs = win. We need more of her animated...a lot more.

P.S. Loved the stylization of Tetsuko's cut as a "red string of fate"
St0rmbladeJul 23, 2022 4:02 PM
Apr 27, 2023 6:48 AM

Apr 2008
Watched this just simply because it has Mariya Takeuchi's only songs that she has ever sung for Anime. As a fan, I couldn't miss out. 

Prior to this, I've listen to her track from her Turntable Album and I always wondered where the track 時空の旅人 came from; and low and behold! 

I wanted to see how the song connects with this anime movie and as I watched it, i really appreciated the concept of finding your soul mate no matter what incarnation of your life would've taken form and that you'll find each other no matter what.

From the surface level, this movie was fairly decent, it feels like it's trying to teach you lesson's through Japan's arguably controversial and yet most important points in Japan's history. It attempts to humanise those points in time and explores the implications of changing those said points in history.

In the end, This is meant to be a thought provoking movie hence the heavily nuanced conclusion with some loose ends that may not cater for some audiences unfortunately. 
IchiroEXApr 27, 2023 6:56 AM
Aug 2, 2023 2:25 PM
Nov 2018
visually it was amazing, the cyborg ninja death in particular, although i must say jiro changing minds so quickly in such a short amount of time felt silly and i really liked both vocal songs, all in all i liked it

More topics from this board

» where can one find this?

cottonrhetoric - Jan 19, 2019

2 by cottonrhetoric »»
Jan 19, 2019 3:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.