Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2012 5:05 AM

Aug 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Great finish and a lot of twists and turns throughout the series. Can't wait for part two to be translated.
Feb 28, 2012 7:07 PM
Jun 2011
well-it was a long and very interesting manga, only one thing that was not like I'd had it. really wanted bambino would get together with Asuka. so hope it happens in for continuing. and if it happens. so did it ever too long .........
Sep 8, 2014 4:46 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Hayama-san... whyyy.. ;___; this is so cruel.

Asuka-chan sure is strong, though. I definitely would've moped for a few days.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Oct 5, 2014 11:26 PM
Oct 2013
This manga is underrated. Should have 8.5 or more. One of the best manga I've read.
Jun 6, 2016 5:40 AM

Jul 2012
Holy shit, I really did not expect this series to be as good as it was. I'm really close to giving it a perfect 10 but its not fully complete (not inc. 2nd part) and there were still a few issues I had with it. But damn, I really needed this kind of manga since I'm in a situation where my life is a clueless wreck right now and I need to find my own way.

Fuck Shokugeki no souma. This is the best cooking series in the animanga world!

Onto part 2 and will probably scanlate it if I can find Chinese raws.

SigOpram said:
This manga is underrated. Should have 8.5 or more. One of the best manga I've read.
this
Oct 7, 2017 2:59 PM

Jun 2016
Steady decline from volume 12, to a brief glimpse of saving itself, to an unsatisfying ending. Now don't get me wrong, the death of Hayama plays with the themes in a great way, we saw what it means to push through personal barriors(Oda), to find yourself and put your values elsewhere(Katori), to push through the cruelty of time in terms of ambitions and unfairness(Hayama, Joshua, Katori's dad), but this was a weak portrayal of the cruelty of life and dealing with loss. Now that I mention it, the portrayal of 9/11 and Coyote was also weak in this sense. It's so clearly apparent because this is a very good topic for Bambino to explore, and it could explore dealing with loss so much more in depth and in such a more meaningful way.

The message and theme of this manga is firstly, to live life happily, one must find themselves, whatever that may be whether it's leaving everything behind for ambition(Ban), or leaving ambition behind for family(Katori), or coming out of your shell to improve your skills(Oda), or you get the point, this works for everyone. And secondly to put your head up and push through everything life does to you. Bambino isn't afraid to show the harshness of life and time in general every chance it gets, but the point isn't that, the point is that the only way to truly lose everything is to give up. We see almost every cast member who has a character arc realize this, and as Ban said early on ""Be a man an' suck it up, Ban Shogo! All I gotta do is lift my head up high and walk forward"! This ultimately making the message, and all of the themes representing the sentiment of "find yourself and be true to yourself, no matter what comes in your way, no matter how cruel life is, never give up, for giving up is the only true defeat".

And man, was Bambino freaking beautiful! The entire cast was great and complex, everyone had just as many positive traits as negative in an incredibly human way. And everyone had to deal with the message of the manga in their own way. The character development of Ban was great and I've never read a manga or seen an anime that had me as happy as Bambino, nor as sad as Bambino. The way Sekiya creates such a cruel and cold portrayal of life, and more importantly of following your ambitions/what's true to you, yet ends with such an inspiring message is incredibly impressive. This is one of the best slice of life anything I've ever seen, and the hands down best portrayal of this message. FLCL did finding and being true to yourself as good, or better, but the second part it doesn't even attempt to touch.

If Bambino kept its quality and didn't have the New York arc it could've been a 10, but as soon as we hit volume 12 the story the world took place in started to revolve around Ban, and the story beats were absurd and ridiculous. Through these story segments we had less and less and less of the fantastic character writing, and more of the little one shots with Joshua, or Hayama, or Etsuya, or Coyote surrounded by weak story writing. It was really disappointing to read, but as I said earlier, this volume savored it at least a bit.

My thoughts on how to better this manga would've been to remove the New York arc, and rather focus on other things leading to an ending where Bacconale & its chains close and Ban is forced to gather everyone together to open another restaurant. It would end open ended, and the sequel would follow that. It both retains the themes, and is a great open ended ending to follow with a sequel. Despite loving it so much, I need a break before I continue to the sequel. I would've preferred a satisfying ending right here.

Overall, Bambino would have been a 10/10 easily up until the New York arc, sadly the pretty lengthy decline makes it clear it loses that edge. Even with these flaws the life lessons Bambino taught me will not leave me anytime soon, nor will any of the loved cast, specifically not Ban, Oda, or Katori. I give Bambino a 8 or 9/10, I will have to think about this decision more as I go on.

In the worlds of King Krule:
When positivity seems hard to reach
I keep my head down and my mouth shut
Cause if you going through hell
We just keep going

Dec 18, 2022 7:50 PM
Jul 2018
Brutal chapter but astonishingly done. I couldn't help but think of Coyote, who had also experienced losing a loved one. Coyote buried himself in his work to keep him going. I feel like Asuka may end up doing the same.

Overall the manga was surprisingly excellent. My only dislikes are the few volumes that took place in America. Lots of detachment from the general story and those stereotypes, oof.

Good read, adding to favorites!
Apr 19, 2023 9:25 AM

Jul 2021
This is the most messed up final chapter I've dealt with in a short-while. Imagine losing your loved one over car accident like bruh, I don't know if it's a chance for Asuka to be with Ban but even so I struggle to see a path between them... There's a sequel as well. I need to digest my overall thoughts: 

First of all the issues, Chapter 140ish really brought to light my biggest qualm with the series- it's lack of patience and tendency to abruptly conclude things. Because of this, unfortunately, it falls short of a perfect score but I'll slate with a 9/10. 

This series is amazing. One cannot help but be enthralled by Ban's incredible character development. No matter the obstacles he faces, he never gives up on his dreams. His love for Risotto, a dish that played a significant role in his life and introduction to Italian cuisine, is heartwarming. To achieve his dream of becoming a chef, Ban had to start as a server and familiarize himself with the restaurant's atmosphere, customers' preferences, and allergies, to ensure their orders were satisfactory. Nogami, with her wonderful backstory, has been instrumental in shaping the young generation, encouraging Ban to follow his passion and put his heart and soul into his work. Oda, on the other hand, is a character who initially comes across as introverted, but as the series progresses, we get to see his amazing baking skills and watch him mentor Ban. Their relationship is truly heartwarming and their separation, although emotional, highlights the true bond they have formed. 

Katori is another character whose strength lies in the superb character writing. He faces immense pressure, particularly with his alcoholic father, but overcomes it and emerges as a more compassionate individual. Lastly, Coyote's character, while not the strongest aspect of the series, adds an element of discovery and adventure as we explore New York's culinary scene. His partnership with Ban to create an Italian dish was a defining moment in Ban's journey, even though prior to that, it was a whole another story especially with Joshua's story, that I really love and it's probably the best dish I've come across: it's a harmonious reflection of Joshua's song "My Flower." Ban is intimately acquainted with the lyrics, having been introduced to them by his ex-girlfriend Eri. At its core, this dish embodies the essence of the song's lyrics, with each line imbued with its own unique significance. From the delicate flower petals, to the promise of new life within the seeds, and even the inclusion of Joshua's girlfriend's beloved red lily, every aspect of this dish serves to capture the spirit of the song.

But overall, confronting the truth is an essential moral quality that is not easily achieved through a comfortable existence. Personally, I doubt I'll get the kind of deeply moving story that requires accepting the harsh realities of life, but it is a necessary component of responsible and mature living. Accepting reality means confronting uncomfortable situations with courage, not avoiding or denying them. Facing tough challenges head-on, no matter how difficult they may be, ultimately leads to personal growth and character development.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bambino! Chapter 163 Discussion

removed-user - Dec 18, 2022

1 by CQLLIST »»
Apr 19, 2023 8:51 AM

Poll: » Bambino! Chapter 162 Discussion

stand - Jan 24, 2019

2 by CQLLIST »»
Apr 19, 2023 8:48 AM

Poll: » Bambino! Chapter 161 Discussion

CQLLIST - Apr 19, 2023

0 by CQLLIST »»
Apr 19, 2023 8:41 AM

Poll: » Bambino! Chapter 160 Discussion

CQLLIST - Apr 19, 2023

0 by CQLLIST »»
Apr 19, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Bambino! Chapter 159 Discussion

CQLLIST - Apr 19, 2023

0 by CQLLIST »»
Apr 19, 2023 8:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.